Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why ESO's leveling system unintentionally became genius

Orginally it seemed that in ESO you would be restricted to your faction terms of leveling.  It seems like after fan feedback they went with the 50+ system where you can level in other zones after level 50.  This is a pretty genius method that I can't seem to recall being done before in any MMO.

It accomplishes many things:

• You get to experience 100% unique content for each faction (about 80 - 120 hours per faction) it won't be like SWTOR's "unique questing" as the zones were shared.
  • Solo players and explorers can play the game for 300+ hours just questing.
  • You can still progress in terms of skills after level 50 but still don't become more "powerful". 
  • Questing content becomes more challenging at 50.

I don't see any flaw with this method.  And since ZoS went the extra mile with making unique content for 3 factions instead of taking the lazy way out and having one faction or two faction questing content, this in itself adds a lot of longevity to the game especially during launch (the most crucial stage).

I don't see one drawback to this system.

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass

Orginally it seemed that in ESO you would be restricted to your faction terms of leveling.  It seems like after fan feedback they went with the 50+ system where you can level in other zones after level 50.  This is a pretty genius method that I can't seem to recall being done before in any MMO.

It accomplishes many things:

• You get to experience 100% unique content for each faction (about 80 - 120 hours per faction) it won't be like SWTOR's "unique questing" as the zones were shared.
    • Solo players and explorers can play the game for 300+ hours just questing.
    • You can still progress in terms of skills after level 50 but still don't become more "powerful". 
    • Questing content becomes more challenging at 50.

I don't see any flaw with this method.  And since ZoS went the extra mile with making unique content for 3 factions instead of taking the lazy way out and having one faction or two faction questing content, this in itself adds a lot of longevity to the game especially during launch (the most crucial stage).

I don't see one drawback to this system.

Me neither, sounds pretty decent to me

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Except that it's an immersion breaker due to it being a fake copy of opposing faction zones.  And that you won't see opposing enemy players and there is no threat.

But, if you don't give a crap about immersion or what makes sense, then I suppose there is nothing wrong with it.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

It seems fine to me, but I dont see what is so special about it.  In games like Tera, WoW, Rift, LOTRO......in almost every MMO, you can quest anywhere in the world.  In ESO the world is broken into seperate areas according to factions.  They are just telling us we can now quest throughout the world.  What is so special about this?  

I guess I am missing something.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by DAS1337

Except that it's an immersion breaker due to it being a fake copy of opposing faction zones.  And that you won't see opposing enemy players and there is no threat.

But, if you don't give a crap about immersion or what makes sense, then I suppose there is nothing wrong with it.

This game is at it's core an RvR game with the system difrectly imported from DAoC...including the 3 separate PvE areas--one for each faction, just like DAoC had.

I'm not even going to touch the subject of whether this is a good thing or a bad thing for immersion. The fact is that Zmax thinks it's important. Important enough that they're willing to triple the PvE content (1-50 X 3) they have to design.

It'd be more honest, if they'd stuck to their original plan but they decided to throw those who want to PvE everywhere without making alts a bone--an instanced fake bone, but something explorers seem to like.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Or maybe they're starting to realize no serious end-game PVE is going to kill revenue and they're just tossing a bone out there to the PVE crowd until they can figure something out down the road. The fact is the FOTM FTP PVP crowd is not going to generate the revenue necessary to keep the game alive. 
  • SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by flizzer

It seems fine to me, but I dont see what is so special about it.  In games like Tera, WoW, Rift, LOTRO......in almost every MMO, you can quest anywhere in the world.  In ESO the world is broken into seperate areas according to factions.  They are just telling us we can now quest throughout the world.  What is so special about this?  

Well the reason is that in those games leveling content is about 60 - 120 hours and most of the areas and zones are shared (not sure about LOTR haven't played it).  In ESO the 60-120 hours per faction is completely unique (story, zones)  Even in WoW, each faction has unique questing till 60 and after that they pretty much do the same quests.

Now when the hardcore players get to 50 and do the 14 or so dungeons and are bored with PvP. And want to find something to do. They can experience 200 more hours of quests/story as it is an avaliable option.

In WoW for example, instead of dailies if I had the option to do Alliance quests as Horde I would much rather do that.  Especially if it rewarded my character with progression/new skills.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    Or maybe they're starting to realize no serious end-game PVE is going to kill revenue and they're just tossing a bone out there to the PVE crowd until they can figure something out down the road. The fact is the FOTM FTP PVP crowd is not going to generate the revenue necessary to keep the game alive. 

So far the ESO devs seem smart enough to not screw up end game PvE content.  I am almost sure we will see something more than 4 man dungeons and I am not talking about open world bosses either.  But we shall see.

Anyone who calls RvR "FOTM FTP PVP" just doesn't have a clue. Think of WOW PvP. Now think of the opposite of that. That's RvR.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

So far the ESO devs seem smart enough to not screw up end game PvE content.  I am almost sure we will see something more than 4 man dungeons and I am not talking about open world bosses either.  But we shall see.

We shall, I'm sure they are aware but it remains to be seen if they will act or if they even can at this point before launch. I'd hate to see the game die for no other reason than being too focused on PVP.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by flizzer

Well the reason is that in those games leveling content is about 60 - 120 hours and most of the areas and zones are shared (not sure about LOTR haven't played it).  In ESO the 60-120 hours per faction is completely unique (story, zones)  Even in WoW, each faction has unique questing till 60 and after that they pretty much do the same quests.

Now when the hardcore players get to 50 and do the 14 or so dungeons and are bored with PvP. And want to find something to do. They can experience 200 more hours of quests/story as it is an avaliable option.

In WoW for example, instead of dailies if I had the option to do Alliance quests as Horde I would much rather do that.  Especially if it rewarded my character with progression/new skills.

From what it sounds like, you should expect gear upgrades in the 2nd faction's zone and the 3rd. So I'm pretty sure progression isnt gonna be "Take a break at 50" I mean, you can if you want. But that's like hitting max level in another MMO and not raiding -- Can if you want, but you'll start to fall behind.

I will probably do all three factions while maxing weapon crafting and not dabbling as much in dungeons unless with friends or cool people I meet. I am guessing within a month or two I will have all that completed. While mixing in some Cyrodill of course. And hopefully by then there are adventure zones and stuff worthwhile.

Originally posted by Iselin

Anyone who calls RvR "FOTM FTP PVP" just doesn't have a clue. Think of WOW PvP. Now think of the opposite of that. That's RvR.

Oh right since you back up your claim with nothing but your good word it must be true, sorry champ but RvR is nothing but centralized PVP, nothing special, so stop tossing the acronym around like it's the Holy Grail. 

Oh right since you back up your claim with nothing but your good word it must be true, sorry champ but RvR is nothing but centralized PVP, nothing special, so stop tossing the acronym around like it's the Holy Grail. 

And you played RvR PVP where exactly?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• VolmokVolmok Member UncommonPosts: 64

Wintergrasp and Tol'Barad? :D

Man those were bad :|

Originally posted by Volmok

Wintergrasp and Tol'Barad? :D

Man those were bad :|

Lol.. that's what I'm guessing. WIntergrasp... the most unorganized clusterf**** I've ver seen for large scale PvP. A bunch of WOWites just screaming at each other about how dumb everyone else is. No organization, no cooperation... well, it did happen accidentally now and then but hey, what do you expect in a PUG scenario... even a largish one?

Anyone who says RvR is the FOTM PVP obviously has never been there or done that.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED