Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Objectifying Women at Gaming Events

Comments

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Those cosplayers know exactly what they are doing and they are not dressing provocatively for the love of gaming.
    be sure to tell that to the judge.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by azmundai

Those cosplayers know exactly what they are doing and they are not dressing provocatively for the love of gaming.

be sure to tell that to the judge.

What judge? i didn't know i was going on trial soon...

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    The white knights we have in society today is the reason women will rule the world in 100 years from now.

You say this like it's the worst thing that could happen. Look around you at the paradise we men have created. I can think of one thing worse than women ruling the world....continuing the way things are now. We're not doing such a great job of things.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

It's always going to be a controversial subject. We value freedom of choice and individualism in our cultures, so anybody can wear what they like. However, at these events yes provocatively dressed women will always get attention, and that is just the way it is because males are like that. 

However, women may also be to blame because they dress as they do knowingly, unless they are so naive that they cannot comprehend the fact that they will get all this "unwanted attention". The problem with being objectified as well is the women then get treated just like that, objects. No longer people, they are simply perceived as an object of lust and desire, which is incredibly pathetic.

All in all, yes women may complain that they can't dress how they like without attracting attention, if they dress how they do to feel attractive and good about themselves its kind of a no brainer what attention they want. Both genders are at fault, and the shallowness of it all is absolutely pathetic regardless.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

It sounds like she is getting miffed about some dude making an off color joke. Crap like that happens everywhere, work, school, hell probably the gas station.

Thats just bad taste and poor judgement on his part. I might be pissed a bit if I was her, but thats a far cry from harassment or objectifying women.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by i_own_u

I just saw an article mentioning Meagan Marie near the bottom of this page. It talks about how she is a cosplayer and works in the industry, but she is getting sick of being harassed at events. I for one think that this is a touchy issue and my response to her distress would be:

"Very touchy issue to get involved in to be honest. I have seen PLENTY of cosplayers that use these "sexy" costumes to their advantage. And those people definitely are begging for attention to themselves. 

It is unfair to those who cosplay for the sake of being their favorite characters, but life is unfair. There will always be those people who will harass others and that isn't even at these events, its everywhere! Of course video games seem to be the spotlight because nobody ever expects attractive women at these gaming events.

Its an issue that will never be solved, and as long as you dress in "sexy" outfits you will be harassed. End of story. It's harsh, but it's the world we live in. "

I know my response is a cop out, and essentially saying that it will never be fixed, but I am intersted to hear your opinions. Don't get me wrong, it is NEVER ok to harass under ANY circumstances in my book, but it is still interesting. It goes back to the disturbing "if you dress like a whore, then you are more likely to get raped" argument. 

Interesting and I thought I would bring it here, thoughts?

This is why women should be covered from head to foot in black robes.  I'm kidding of course.

I forgot what this was about...ugh ADHD!

Originally posted by DamonVile
    The white knights we have in society today is the reason women will rule the world in 100 years from now.

You say this like it's the worst thing that could happen. Look around you at the paradise we men have created. I can think of one thing worse than women ruling the world....continuing the way things are now. We're not doing such a great job of things.

Well you will become a second class citizen if that were the case, there will never be 100% equality between the sexes whomever holds power will favour their own sex. So if you are ok with that then more power to you. I think men have done a pretty damn good job if you stop concentrating on the negatives. But in todays pc world you can't be pro man because that just makes you sexist. Enjoy a world where you have no rights as a father and diet coke ads with guys taking their tops off while a group of women look on, see any comparisons there?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by azmundai

there is only splash damage from idiots who use laser guided missles instead of being polite. you can ask a girl out, or flatter her without talking about her breasts.

It's really not that simple.

Man AND women have objectified women for a LONG time now. Heck both men and women have talked about breasts without being considered 'pervy' 'creepy' or it being percieved as harassment. Heck, a huge part of flirting is suggestion, implication, and framing.

I'm not saying that what this guy did was okay (because it obviously wasn't), but it's equally a bad idea to try and over generalize things like this.

Plus, you completely missed the point of that joke. It's not the 'idiots' using the missles, the 'idiots' are the splash damage. It's the people trying to look sexy / attractive using the missles. The point being, when you're trying to attract attention in public (whether or not it's sexual in nature), then you need to assume that you're likely going to attract at least a few people you didn't mean to.

This happens a lot, and is a common complaint amongst most women. My female friends complain about it, but when we hang out in areas where they aren't getting hit on, they also sometimes feel insecure that noone is finding them attractive. It's a giant catch 22. The reason this issue isn't as big of a deal with men, is because men typically don't give a crap. We either enjoy the attention, or laugh about it later.

(again, before anyone takes this out of context, I'm not saying I approve of what the guy did, and I'm usually the first person to step up in a group and tell a person to shut it if they're being out of line. However, it's a biproduct of the human condition. An ugly biproduct, but a predictable and manageable one.)

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Well you will become a second class citizen if that were the case, there will never be 100% equality between the sexes whomever holds power will favour their own sex. So if you are ok with that then more power to you. I think men have done a pretty damn good job if you stop concentrating on the negatives. But in todays pc world you can't be pro man because that just makes you sexist. Enjoy a world where you have no rights as a father and diet coke ads with guys taking their tops off while a group of women look on, see any comparisons there?

Soylent Green IS people

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Well obviously there are ladies who have no problem with it, so maybe she should just go find something else to do.

I dont know if I believe the line, "If you wear sexy outfits you will get harrassed", only losers do that, and of course we gamers are not all losers.

What I do believe, "If you wear sexy outfits, you will get attention, and lots of it!", I find it hard to believe she didnt know that.

Anyway, I guess its up to the ladies, will you keep going to these events or not?

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

That's a gem!

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Oh, I know! Lets have all female game characters wear burqas, that way when women cosplay, they dont feel objectified.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

???

I just got this mental image of you slamming your hands down on the desk, standing up and screaming into a courtroom full of horrified people,

"She was askin' for it! They're ALL askin' for it!"

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by zymurgeist
    You can look just don't leer. Just have and use basic manners.That's all anyone is asking.

+1

If more people adhered to this, society in general would be a lot better I think.

Originally posted by Adalwulff

Well obviously there are ladies who have no problem with it, so maybe she should just go find something else to do.

I dont know if I believe the line, "If you wear sexy outfits you will get harrassed", only losers do that, and of course we gamers are not all losers.

What I do believe, "If you wear sexy outfits, you will get attention, and lots of it!", I find it hard to believe she didnt know that.

Anyway, I guess its up to the ladies, will you keep going to these events or not?

^ Aye.

Whether or not you get harassed is mostly due to where you are / the type of people you're with. However, if you dress for it, you're going to get attention regardless of where you are.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

???

I just got this mental image of you slamming your hands down on the desk, standing up and screaming into a courtroom full of horrified people,

"She was askin' for it! They're ALL askin' for it!"

Don't put me in a the courtroom of your imagination.

If i had my ass pinched by women  do you think i could take a case of sexual harassment against them? no it would be laughed out of the fucking courthouse.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I think men have done a pretty damn good job if you stop concentrating on the negatives.

I actually laughed out loud at this. You remind me of a guy in the sinking ship saying if you stop focusing on all the water coming in this is a pretty nice ship.

I have no issue with objectifying women. It would be a much better world if women did a lot more objectifying of men and ppl didn't flip out about it. People are way too uptight about sex. It's why these topics showcase some pretty messed up people who think they're normal and " civilized "

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Here's my quick definition of objectification: any sort of encounter where one meets another person as though they were an object, less than a person.

By 'any sort of encounter' I'm including simply looking at someone, scanning their body, evaluating it purely aesthetically or in a sexual way. That means, yes we are prone to objectify those we find attractive. However, while one may find themselves giving an uncouth glace at someone, perhaps almost involuntarily - especially if they dress provocatively - it is still one's duty to cut short that objectifiying sort of engagement with them, either by shifting one's attention elsewhere, or, if they choose to approach and talk with the person, to encounter and address them as a person, and work to make the latter mode of interaction the dominant one.

So it may be the case that those who dressed in such a way expected attention of a specific kind, and to some limited degree, onlookers might find themselves giving just that sort of attention. Regardless, the latter behavior ought to be limited as much as possible, and those dressing that way ought to question the merit of doing what they do - it can bely an unhealthy attitude of wanting to be objectified.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    I have an ex-GF that used to dress up in those skimpy or "themed" costumes to work at various booths and various conventions and said it was the easiest job ever, and it paid well (and put herself through medical school doing it). If the people doing it don't care, no one else should either. (ironically, she said people that gave her the hardest time were women.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rkl_oLSKQc

watch this and then assume  the roles were reversed, you'd be horrified.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by Golelorn

People dress up(sexy, creative, whatever) to get the attention of attractive people. Sometimes the downside is you attract the type of people that you won't be attracted to. There is no solution except suck it up. That's kind of why they are hired, isn't it?

1) Cosplayers aren't hired. Cosplayers do it because they are crafty and like to dress as their favorite characters. 

2) Majority of female characters in games are designed by males, which leads to the fact most of female character outfits are rather skimpy/sexy. There is very few options ofr female cosplayer that aren't "sexy" (usually the ones that have full body armor like Shepard or Samus) 

3) If someone dresses in a sexy way it's still no invatation for others to be rude. You are welcome to appriciate their work and craftsmanship when it comes to costume creation, but comments of sexual nature are not desired. 

A women who cut a mans penis off went on a talk show to talk about it and everyone laughed, now imagine if a man comitted the same acts on a woman. just think about that for a minute.
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Oh my god! Women in skimpy cosplay costumes are getting harassed at events for sexually repressed geeks? Who would have thought it possible! If you don't want to catch any fish don't put your hook in the water. I have little sympathy for women who claim harassment while dressed like strippers. They objectify themselves the minute they put on the costume and go into public. If you troll with that kind of bait you are going to get a few bites. Enough said.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

This discussion has been closed.