Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can the 60 fps cap be disabled?

2»

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by supergfunk
    Unfortunately you get more fps spikes as you move beyond 60fps,   lower dips in framerate is worse than any advantage you could get from more than 60fps..

not in my experience.. for example in gw2 i can run around lions arch at 100 fps. If i turn the camera fast in some areas there is a noticable fps spike from 10-30 fps. When running at 100 fps and it dips down to 70 i hardly notice anything regarding any stutters or anything but if I cap my fps at 60 fps and do the same thing I still get a fps spike of about 20 fps and dip down to 40 fps or so for a couple seconds and it is very noticable when this happens.. also tried this in numerous other games and it is noticable in all of them I have tested it with.

if  i could maintain a constant 60 fps sure thats fine but that's hardly ever the case even though my rig can easily handle that in most games. Normally my dips are 120 fps to like 80 at most so still always maintain over 60 fps in most cases

It's not really the monitor. I have a 60Hz monitor and I too hit the high fps, but when I limit my GW2 to 60 FPS I notice the dips too. So yeah, that's game/hardware issue, not monitor. Besides you can set your 120Hz monitors to work on 60Hz if it really is that much of an issue for you, see if it gets better, but it probably wouldn't so yeah

Marketing at its finest

i know its not the monitor but that doesn't change the fact the 60 fps cap on AoW is annoying for the senario i described and wish there was a way to bypass it.. i only got a 120hz monitor for 3d nothing more(although mouse movement is smoother and very noticable with two computers side by side).. not sure how that's marketing unless you can somehow magically can play 60 fps in 3d on your 60hz monitor

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719

For Quake Live or any other extreme speed shooter, u would feel game smoothness with higher FPS, but for slow games, and movies and tv shows that difference would be greatly reduced, The test for if the human eye can notice up to 1000 Hz difference was done in a specific way.

White and Black backgrounds interchange at fix Hz intervals, 60,120,240,480,960Hz, and within those intervals a specific picture is placed on one of the frames, for instance an picture of an airplane. So they mesaured how fast must the picture oscillate(change) for a subject to not see the airplane(a different preditermined picture for repetitions of the test). Test Subjects were able to notice the hidden picture, and notice the fluidity of change between white and black up to 960 Hz tested, over that value, the number of subjects seeing difference dropped explonentionally.

http://www.overclock.net/t/904426/60fps-vs-120fps-who-will-see-who-first

Also there's another test i'd like to find and link, black and white numbers counting on the screen, white for 1st frame, black for second and so on, and then comparision of 60 frames per second and, and 120 frames per second, with 60 numbers are blurry, they interchange, appear to jiggle, and are unstable, and very hard to clearly see, while on 120 frames per second, they are as clear as air.