Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Korean Version Shutting Down

2»

Comments

• holycannoliholycannoli Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Originally posted by holycannoli
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer
    Called it. Korea generally speaking is the cutting edge of MMO culture and Rift is far too old-school in its mechanics. I knew it would survive long over there. B&S is pretty traditional fair gameplay-wise, but comes with some added action mechanics like the potential for dodge and LoS and comboing skills. Combat is also more visceral. Diablo is an action dungeon crawler series so, nothing to explain there. I expect games like WildStar, GW2 and ESO to do much better in Korea.

Korea is the cutting edge of MMO culture? In what universe? The last asian MMO I played was terrible. It was a long pointless grind with virtually no story, lame anime-inspired graphics, and a focus on action and combat at the expense of almost everything else.

If they don't like Rift then screw them. They can keep their lame games. I have yet to play one that appeals to me.

Thus comes Xenophobia, the biggest reason why its a lot harder for good games to be accept through the world. I bet that same arguement you just brought up couldbe reversed for them saying it about western games having pointless grind, no story,  lame Western or kiddie style graphics, and a focus on action and combat at the expense of everything else. 

Yeah, the only thing I'd have to change at all was the the comment about the art style, thats literally your points can so easily be reversed and they make sense. Hell, your Xenophobia even plays part in people like like World of Warcraft which for me is sad that the focus point of people not liking the game was the "Pandas" (in Warcraft 3 btw) or "Asian theme" rather then the actual problems the game had. 

I seriously dislike anime, to the point it disgusts me, and I'm not a fan of WoW and it's cartoon graphics, which I played. I looked up that Blade & Soul game and it looks completely anime. No thanks. I won't be going anywhere near it.

People don't like pandas because at that point the game has become incredibly corny. Pandas?? Wtf. Remember what George Lucas did to Star Wars with the prequels? Yeah it's something like that (just not on so grand a scale).

My top 3 MMOs are Everquest vanilla (pre Luclin), Dark Age Of Camelot and Rift. Everquest has very dated graphics but at least it doesn't look like a cartoon, so it still looks better than WoW. DAOC is fine for it's time, and Rift is a very refreshing change from WoW. I've tried a few asian MMOs and I never want to again. They're [i]ridiculous[/i]. If the content isn't ridiculous then the gameplay is. I played one where people were walking around with dinosaur pets (that had to be bought from the cash shop mind you) and another that had classic fantasy classes like tanks and mages, but included rock stars with electric guitars and some weird chainsaw class. I mean wtf. Who comes up with this crap? They don't bother with a great game like Rift but their preferred MMOs are jokes.
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer
    Called it. Korea generally speaking is the cutting edge of MMO culture and Rift is far too old-school in its mechanics. I knew it would survive long over there. B&S is pretty traditional fair gameplay-wise, but comes with some added action mechanics like the potential for dodge and LoS and comboing skills. Combat is also more visceral. Diablo is an action dungeon crawler series so, nothing to explain there. I expect games like WildStar, GW2 and ESO to do much better in Korea.

Cutting edge if you like guys that look like girls and girls that look like they are either 12 years old or pron stars.  I forgot giant swords and over the top spell effects.   Cutting edge if you like anime and high heelsl, or girls with squeeky voices and  heavy breathing male models with hips bigger than their chest, I could go on but you get my point.  But Im glad your all bought in to the freak show that is eastern MMO's.

Im stil waiting for one that doesnt give me the creeps.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Rift didnt need to shut down in Korea, either a B2P or a F2P conversion would get them lots more people and money.

I hope they are smart with NA version and switch the model. The evidence has been out there for a while now with many AAA mmos that Sub-only model is a huge problem for these mmos. Learn from TERA, Trion, Make the game Free, and give more goodies to subscribers.

• BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

Asian games fail in NA and NA games fail in Asia.

P.S. Switch RIFT to B2P in NA ala Aion, TSW, GW2 and TERA, and watch population POP!

Little money would come in from the game and you would allow certain players to freeboat. That is wrong.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog
  • BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Manolios
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d
    they need to make it B2P like GW2.....

this.

i told so many times in so many posts that the popylation in EU sucks. 1 high and 3 medium servers in peak hours. only one of them english.

They need to make it B2P YESTERDAY!

One problem I think Rift has is that Trion has sort of lost vision and focus for the game.  They just throw in a hodge-podge of ideas and see what the playerbase likes (e.g.: Wardstones, no falling damage, homogenization of PA gain, etc).

If you even try and discuss the idea of B2P over at the Rift forums the whiteknights come out of the woodwork and forum zerg you.  It's a shame too because the game still has a lot of potential.

"The game has potential" and the only thing you keep mentioning is the darn payment model. Come on now....tsk tsk.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447
    Koreans like competitive, PvP orientated MMOs that have real loss and big time grinds.  Rift offers nothing to the average Korean MMO gamer.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by BlueTiger33

P.S. Switch RIFT to B2P in NA ala Aion, TSW, GW2 and TERA, and watch population POP!

Little money would come in from the game and you would allow certain players to freeboat. That is wrong.

Which of the mentioned games failed without the sub? THey all make more money now, and if you have to buy the box like TSW and GW2 nobody is freeboating anything. You just prefer subs and thats fine. Reality is that sub-only is not the right decition anymore (it was years ago). Now more options work better.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

You can blame Hartsman and his personal pride to not go F2P for the pathetic state of affairs about Rift.

Korea closes, EU is dead since forever.

But hey, at least they have enough "trial servers".

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Yup, Rift is failing because they still stay true to that stagnant and archaic subscription philosophy.  Remove it and I bet you at least a million new players will flock to the game.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by Claum

Yeah D3 doing great in China , 90 % bots working for 24 hours on act 3 all day same place same s...... :D hilarious but i do look for Soul & Blade , seems the only mmo that is a bit diferent and interesting and has good pvp system.

But Eu and Usa players can go pick up chese from the shelves in elder scrols the ultra booring series got an mmo sequel now . LOL  It's not going to have more players than the other series of Morowind.

China

South Korea

Elder Scrolls

Should probably do a little research.

By no means am I backing his comments here at all but I could have sworn I read that when Oblivions game of the year and gold box editions came out it pushed its total sales to over 5 million.

• DrealgrinDrealgrin Member UncommonPosts: 156

Rift is dying due to their idiotic policy of banning people who simply speak their mind.

Good riddens, damned butthurt moderators.

• GODGANONDORFGODGANONDORF Member Posts: 59
    make it free to play or buy to play i go in continue with suscription well simply watch it die sadly

DARK AND LIGHT I GOVERN BOTH

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Shame, because I seriously dislike warfare realism and blood/gore games to the point where they physically disgust me, western graphics are not my cup of tea, and I love anime/manga beautiful asian artwork... I just prefer to get gameplay/story/combat/crafting and enough content instead of boring dull grinds or "dailys" along with my colorful graphics... Now, I love WoW for its cartoonish look and lore but lack of content and meaningful crafting, I love Lord of the Rings Online less for its realism but it has the story to make up for it, and I love Everquest 1/2 for their hybrid of realistic graphics and color as well as the gameplay/crafting/combat/content at the expense of story... 
  • mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

I've never heard of a game with chainsaws, but that sounds cool ).

You need to be unique, and not merely give more of the same classes man.  There are plenty of "traditional mmos" already.  If you want to compete in the market you can't give the same exact classes that are already done by : Final Fantasy 11 Online, Final Fantasy 14 Online, World of Warcraft, Everquest 1, Everquest 2 and Lord of the Rings Online, etc.  In order to compete games like Aion, Lineage 2, Tera, Blade and Soul, and Rift have to be unique and different. 

Why play a game with the same boring classes that you can already play for free? If you want to be traditional, you can already play Eq, EQ2, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Dungeons and Dragons Online, and Lord of the Rings Online for free... 

Rift should be buy to play, I'd definately play it.. Notice Buy to Play is *Not* Free, it should sell expansions and quest packs/maps for money, nothing needs to be entirely free, although the up to level 20 demo for free is nice of them.  I'd definately play Rift if it was buy to play, I can afford to drop 20 or 40 bucks even on a game, but it is monthly subscriptions that make me quit, I can't pay 3 or 5 subscriptions a month to keep my games going, that's just rediculous... 

Especially, when there are so many mmos that I want to play them all, not 1... It is nice having so many free games to choose from, and unfortunately for Rift, it is hard to compete against so many mmos that are all going free to play, including Tera... I still have to check out Tera... Not to mention Star Trek Online and Star Wars Online, which, unfortunately were disappointments, but I still find them fun... so now that they are "free" almost... with restrictions on SWToR but still playable, anyway, I can still enjoy them occasionally, while I pay my subscription money to only the games that I am playing most of the time and not almost never... 

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Manolios
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d
    they need to make it B2P like GW2.....

this.

i told so many times in so many posts that the popylation in EU sucks. 1 high and 3 medium servers in peak hours. only one of them english.

They need to make it B2P YESTERDAY!

One problem I think Rift has is that Trion has sort of lost vision and focus for the game.  They just throw in a hodge-podge of ideas and see what the playerbase likes (e.g.: Wardstones, no falling damage, homogenization of PA gain, etc).

If you even try and discuss the idea of B2P over at the Rift forums the whiteknights come out of the woodwork and forum zerg you.  It's a shame too because the game still has a lot of potential.

going b2p will be good not only for the returning ppl and trion, but for sub players too. its way better from every aspect to play a game in high servers than low ones. helps community, economy, guilds and even your mood :)

• cherdavischerdavis Member Posts: 8
    Funny how this announcement comes the same week that N Korea terminates all communication lines with S Korea and outside entities stating "a war may break out at any moment" Sounds to me like they "lost" their Korean market share there due to all the unrest in the area.