Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which CPU would be better?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Not so surprisingly, there isn't a lot of current "benchmark" data regarding GW2. A moderate amount of it when the game first released, but that was before Vishera shipped to compare it against, and I can't really find any benchmark data using a Vishera-cored AMD, and I'd hesitate to interpolate based on Zambezi data because GW2 is rather somewhat of an outlier game anyway in terms of performance.

Even if it's the only game you play, I'd not recommend building around it because the game performance and requirements are almost schizophrenic, especially if you are one of those "MAX MAX" people. But for most people, GW2 isn't going to be the ~only~ game, and a good all-around gaming rig, even a tight budget rig and many older rigs, will still perform well on GW2 regardless, you just have to find the right combination of options.

• zite4321zite4321 Member Posts: 51

Thank you all for the information and tips. Got everything ready to order next week for my sons new build.

I do have one final question though. I was wrong about the speed of my ram, it's running at 1728 not 1733. 1866 hasn't been an option since I first got the system to post once I finished building it. I did notice my FX 8350 is running at 4.4Ghz instead of just 4. If I remember correctly back to the old days when I used to build and overclock, if the processor was overclocked it could effect the speed that ram would effectivly ran at. For the life of me, I can not see in my UEFI Bios how to set it at it's standard 4.0Ghz speed. Any suggestions, and is that still an issue with ram and cpu?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by zite4321

Thank you all for the information and tips. Got everything ready to order next week for my sons new build.

I do have one final question though. I was wrong about the speed of my ram, it's running at 1728 not 1733. 1866 hasn't been an option since I first got the system to post once I finished building it. I did notice my FX 8350 is running at 4.4Ghz instead of just 4. If I remember correctly back to the old days when I used to build and overclock, if the processor was overclocked it could effect the speed that ram would effectivly ran at. For the life of me, I can not see in my UEFI Bios how to set it at it's standard 4.0Ghz speed. Any suggestions, and is that still an issue with ram and cpu?

It sounds like your problem is a botched overclock.  You probably adjusted the base clock rather than the CPU multiplier in an effort at overclocking.  I think that the stock base clock (likely BCLK in your BIOS) value for all recent AMD processors is 200 MHz.  If it's set to something like 220, then there's your problem.  Revert it to 200 and you can probably run your memory at the rated value.  If it's not set to something a little over 200, then you'll have to do a little research to find out what the stock value is so that you can set it to that.

If you do want to overclock your processor, then the way to do it is by adjusting the CPU multiplier, not the base clock.  Adjusting the CPU multiplier will change the speed of the CPU only, while adjusting the base clock will change the speed of a number of things--including your memory.

• zite4321zite4321 Member Posts: 51
    Thank you very much Quizzical, you're a very helpful!!