Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disk boot failure, Insert System disk and press enter?

KaraminalKaraminal Member Posts: 58

So ive finished by pc build, and was dying to just switch it on and install windows 7. Everyone came on okay, then all of a sudden theres the erroe "Disk boot failure Insert system disk and press enter."  Everything is plugged in correctly, hard drives and CD rom and i have set the CD rom to boot first but i still get this error. I dont want it to be a motherboard failure because it will seriously annoy me. Anyone have any possible solutions for this?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Exactly what hardware did you buy?  After all of your previous threads, I rather suspect that you went out and bought some random pieces of junk that would be likely to cause all sorts of weird problems.
  • KaraminalKaraminal Member Posts: 58

AMD FX 6300

8GB DDR3 RAM

Gigabyte 970 a d3 Motherboard

AMD 7750

500GB Seagate Hardrive

480w PSU

Originally posted by Karaminal

480w PSU

And exactly which power supply is that?

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

*first* Doublecheck if your HD is plugged in correctly. how about that little wirethingybob from the PSU with power?

*second* no, seriously... doublecheck, don't just tell us you checked three times already.

*report on your findings*

*kick it -  it sometimes works*

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

You have installed or are installing?

If installing is your BIOS showing the CDROM drive?  Is your Windows disk ok?  It's basically not picking up OS disk (either by not being able to get data from the cdrom or the cd).  Check cables, both for the power and motherboard connections, try a different channel.

If you have installed switch primary to your hard drive / ssd.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    It's not your hardware. That message means the PC found no boot strap on the HDD. It powered up OK, passed it's POST then looked at the boot devices for a boot strap/OS and didn't find one. It sounds like your DvD/CD drive isn't included in the list of boot devices in your BIOS, so it can't boot off the Win7 CD. Check in the BIOS and make sure it can boot from CD.
  • KaraminalKaraminal Member Posts: 58
    Ive actually plugged up one of my old hard drives which i was using before, and it still says the same error even though windows 7 is actually installed on that new drive. Also, how do i check that there is a CD rom drive through the bios?
  • DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Is the copy of Windows you are trying to install an original disk or a copy? Could be you are trying to install from a non-bootable cd.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

If you get into the BIOS, normally F8 or DEL as it boots up, it will probably be in Adv Settings > Boot Devices. You can see the name of your CD in the general settings of the BIOS. All drives should be listed there. Just make sure the CD is one of the Boot Devices, pop the CD in and reboot after saving the BIOS.

If that doesn't work then your CD isn't bootable. Shouldn't be a problem if it's a proper CD. If it's one you "aquired" then you needed to make it bootable when you burned it.

If you're still using the power supply that you indicated in this thread:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/378923

Then I'd say, stop, replace the power supply, and then we can proceed.  It's not worth trying to debug a system when you know right from the start that the power supply is complete garbage.  Even if the power supply isn't the immediate problem, it will soon cause problems of its own.

• GildenloreGildenlore Member Posts: 23

The problem is not your PSU.  It has ample wattage. 

Your system is either not recognizing the CD/DVD Drive or the CD/DVD itself.

1)  Check your IDE/SATA Connections and Power Connections.  Make sure they are firmly seated in your CD/DVD Drive.

2)  Watch the System POST to make sure that the CD/DVD Drive is posting as an IDE/SATA Device.

3)  Check your BIOS to make sure the CD/DVD Drive is showing up as a valid device and set the CD/DVD Drive as the FIRST Boot Device.

4)  Make sure you actually have a DVD Drive.  DVD's do not work in standard CD Drives.

5)  Clean the DVD and make sure it doesn't have any major damage such as deep scratches or the like.

6)  Last Resort:  The CD/DVD Drive may have a mechanical issue, so Tap the CD/DVD Drive solidly on the metal casing with the handle of a screwdriver.  Once should be sufficient.  Do not repeatedly beat it.

"Walk soft on the Paths of Society...For Subtlety is the Blessing of Sanctuary."

- anonymous

Originally posted by Gildenlore

The problem is not your PSU.  It has ample wattage. 

Your system is either not recognizing the CD/DVD Drive or the CD/DVD itself.

1)  Check your IDE/SATA Connections and Power Connections.  Make sure they are firmly seated in your CD/DVD Drive.

2)  Watch the System POST to make sure that the CD/DVD Drive is posting as an IDE/SATA Device.

3)  Check your BIOS to make sure the CD/DVD Drive is showing up as a valid device and set the CD/DVD Drive as the FIRST Boot Device.

4)  Make sure you actually have a DVD Drive.  DVD's do not work in standard CD Drives.

5)  Clean the DVD and make sure it doesn't have any major damage such as deep scratches or the like.

6)  Last Resort:  The CD/DVD Drive may have a mechanical issue, so Tap the CD/DVD Drive solidly on the metal casing with the handle of a screwdriver.  Once should be sufficient.  Do not repeatedly beat it.

While the power supply probably isn't the immediate problem, for the computer to not run right now is more of a blessing than a curse, as that may well prevent the power supply from frying other hardware.  Don't look at the nominal wattage; look at the particular power supply.  It says "480 W", but under real-world usage, it's more likely that it would run out of spec at 100 W than stay in spec at 400 W, let alone 480 W.

Furthermore, with that caliber of junk, would it really be all that surprising if the problem is that a wire for the SATA power connector or some such simply isn't connected?

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

BIOS settings for boot order/boot devices.