Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changing Gaming Experience Nvidia GRID

Fatality001133Fatality001133 Member Posts: 10
Guys what do you think about NVIDIA Grid? is this worth getting?

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Why would someone want to take an I5 or I7 and turn it into a dumb terminal for centralized computing? I'm not going back to the late 70's - early 80's.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Fatality001133Fatality001133 Member Posts: 10
    I think the NVIDIA Grid is for people who dont have high end computers. This is a good news for them. 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

well its designed for SMBs and CAD software...

Its a nice powerfull system thats for sure.. I guess if your a small company that needs access to that kind of computing power then its not a bad choice.

Cant see it doing anything for gaming.. i must admit i didnt read the entire article but business type devices like that are not designed to run games well.. just like the business range of graphics cards do not run games as well as their desktop versions..

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350

If you have a need for GPU virtualization, then maybe.  If it's GPU virtualization where you need a ton of users connected, but don't really need that much GPU power (but do need a little, so traditional virtualization that doesn't let you use a GPU doesn't work for you), then the Grid K1 would be more appropriate to your needs than the Grid K2 that that article talks about.

But for games?  No.  Look at the price tags on the machines listed there:  $24,900 plus $2,400 per year for the cheaper of the two.  If you can't afford a high end gaming computer, then buying a bunch of Grid cards isn't really an option for you.

• tzj2006tzj2006 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by Fatality001133
    I think the NVIDIA Grid is for people who dont have high end computers. This is a good news for them. 

This is completely false, its a way for small to mid sized businesses to access an extremely powerful computer remotely. Lets say you have a bunch of offices spread throughout the world and need to do some movie rendering, you can tap into nvidia grid to do that.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    All of the above may be true, but just imagine if you hooked up the GRID to some monitors and used it as your gaming rig.  You would be getting over 9000 fps in Crysis at max settings, even on a 6-monitor setup!
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    Originally posted by syntax42
    All of the above may be true, but just imagine if you hooked up the GRID to some monitors and used it as your gaming rig.  You would be getting over 9000 fps in Crysis at max settings, even on a 6-monitor setup!

Depending on how it's set up, it could easily end up being far inferior for gaming purposes to a single GeForce GTX 680.  GRID is intended to make it so that a bunch of people can share access to the same GPU resources at once.  It's not optimized for low latency the way that GeForce and Radeon cards are, and that's critical for gaming.