Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Console games make far more money than PC games! No piracy!

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Wait...no...

While consoles are a lot harder to pirate than PC games are....

With a console, it is FAR easier to borrow or be given console games by friends. There is no CD key, nothing to tie a single game to a single console. Of course, one still has to buy a console game...but then that console game can be passed down x number of times.

So...why do some companies make a HUGE deal out of piracy for PC and how much money they are losing, going as far as adding intrusive DRM...when its actually far easier to not buy any game at all on a console... as long as you have friends...

Guess there is online accounts to play online for games that have that...but there is still a big portion of people that just want to play singleplayer. And what better way to save money than just be passed down a console game.

(edit: There is of course buying used games, that was big news a year or two ago...this is sorta similar in aspect...but situation rather different)

Something seems like some companies have it out for PC gamers for some reason...but ignore every aspect of anything that can be considered negative on a console and bury their heads in the sand to ignore the problem. Because...its consoles...

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• ReskaillevReskaillev Member CommonPosts: 157

Obvious thread is obvious?

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say? 

"Isn't a raid plundering villages in WoW or something like that?" - Robert Desable

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Pirating games and sharing a game disc are two dfferent things, and so say otherwise is just ignorant. Pirating is one purchase unlimited users, sharing is one purchase one user.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    Pirating games and sharing a game disc are two dfferent things, and so say otherwise is just ignorant.

Both lose the company money, which is why some companies go to such great lengths to prevent it on PC.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

Pirating games and sharing a game disc are two dfferent things, and so say otherwise is just ignorant.

Both lose the company money, which is why some companies go to such great lengths to prevent it on PC.

Sure both lose the company money, but pirating does so at a much greater rate which is why there is so much more emphasis on it. 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

And exactly how many times do you think people share their game cds? Not a lot. If I give my CD to a friend, I can no longer play the game too! You are comparing one time purchase and then an unlimited number of people can play it to a couple of people sharing their games? 

Yes, console piracy exists but few people do it because it voids your warranty, you can get banned from Xbox Live/PSN. Also you can't get any new patches as they will break the crack. Also some of the new games may not work with your old hacked version of the console and you have to rehack it. Toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much hassle. This is why very few people actually hack their consoles. PC gamers on the other hand pirate a lot! Especially in countries like China and Russia. Everyone and their dog can pirate a PC game with less effort than actually going to the store to buy it.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Everyone and their dog can pirate a PC game with less effort than actually going to the store to buy it.

And that is another reason why people pirate games, movies and music. Sure we are getting more and more options for digital downloads, but often they are combined with some rediculous DRM crap that requires a special player or client to make it work. So we have to get 7 different DRM programmes when you usually only need one to pirate.

Studies show that pirates spend more money on legit movies, tv-shows and music, than non-pirates.. 

It is ofcourse not true for every pirate and it probably isnt true for games.. But I could imagine a pirate buying the original and then getting a pirated version to be able to play offline or in case the cd broke. Or if they pirated the first game of a series, they might buy the next one to get to play it as soon as possible.

Anyways.. MMOs are rarely the target of piracy, atleast not as much as hacking, scamming, RMT, and so on.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Pirating games and sharing a game disc are two dfferent things, and so say otherwise is just ignorant. Pirating is one purchase unlimited users, sharing is one purchase one user.

I dunno I think game rentals=piracy as well, its no diffrent than downloading the game since the devoloper makes no profit off the repeated rentals.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Console developers are trying to add the same kind of restrictions, and while rentals and borrowing do not make the company more money, sharing a computer or CD key/account doesn't either. Their somewhat equivalent, except they can't be rented.

Beyond that, they make money from the initial sell of rentals and trades, as well as shares... They may not make as much as they like, but that's their problem for making a game with low longevity and replayability... If they were worth more, than you wouldn't have such...

I see a lot of future consoles going more DLC in order to cut out physical swapping, rentals and trading, Sony has already claimed PS4 will only play PS3 if their downloaded...

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

Wait...no...

While consoles are a lot harder to pirate than PC games are....

With a console, it is FAR easier to borrow or be given console games by friends. There is no CD key, nothing to tie a single game to a single console. Of course, one still has to buy a console game...but then that console game can be passed down x number of times.

So...why do some companies make a HUGE deal out of piracy for PC and how much money they are losing, going as far as adding intrusive DRM...when its actually far easier to not buy any game at all on a console... as long as you have friends...

Guess there is online accounts to play online for games that have that...but there is still a big portion of people that just want to play singleplayer. And what better way to save money than just be passed down a console game.

(edit: There is of course buying used games, that was big news a year or two ago...this is sorta similar in aspect...but situation rather different)

Something seems like some companies have it out for PC gamers for some reason...but ignore every aspect of anything that can be considered negative on a console and bury their heads in the sand to ignore the problem. Because...its consoles...

Consoles are easy to mod, I have a modded 360, Ps3, and soft modded Wii. So there complaint is really null and dumb.

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."

• HcRpgerHcRpger Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by BahamutKaiser
    Console developers are trying to add the same kind of restrictions, and while rentals and borrowing do not make the company more money, sharing a computer or CD key/account doesn't either. Their somewhat equivalent, except they can't be rented.

Beyond that, they make money from the initial sell of rentals and trades, as well as shares... They may not make as much as they like, but that's their problem for making a game with low longevity and replayability... If they were worth more, than you wouldn't have such...

I see a lot of future consoles going more DLC in order to cut out physical swapping, rentals and trading, Sony has already claimed PS4 will only play PS3 if their downloaded...

I think I read somewhere that next-gen consoles have a function where you have to link your games to your console. And when you have done that, that's it, they are permanently linked and can't be played on any other console. Makes re-selling them impossible as well.

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Originally posted by fivoroth

And exactly how many times do you think people share their game cds? Not a lot. If I give my CD to a friend, I can no longer play the game too! You are comparing one time purchase and then an unlimited number of people can play it to a couple of people sharing their games? 

Umm once I beat the game I'm not going to want to play it for a while so why not pass it around to the friends.  We all do that.  I get a few games from them, and they get a few from me.  Most people I know do this.  

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

All I can say is, pirating is WAY overhyped as a threat and used as a means to justify DRM's real purpose of forcing the player to pay money for things rather then being able to 'cheat' like older games allowed, basically controlling what can be done with the game YOU purchased for. The money made from it is vastly more then any piracy would stop, I'll bet you that. 

A good majority of 'Pirates" typically won't even buy a game, even if there was no potential way to get it throughthose means. They get it because they CAN get it for free, if it is not, they typically won't get it. You can see the trend even in the use of demos, players not wanting to spend money on something unless they try it and like it, and even then people won't buy it unless to them its 'perfect'.

Piracy is just a fancy scapegoat to push the consumer into a more microtransaction heavy market. Simcity 2013 has only helped emphasize this (at least with EA) trying to make excuses of it been deep seeded as multiplayer and yet being so quickly proved wrong by someone just modifying the game files (to a very small degree mind you) to work singleplayer. Added in sandbox mode being not very 'sandboxy' as it claims, it just emphasizes to me that in recently years this threat of piracy is just a good way to try and hide the fact they want to push things on you like customization or 'cheats' as something you have to pay for.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    There's also this thing called the used video game market and it's pretty much console exclusive.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• HcRpgerHcRpger Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Purutzil

All I can say is, pirating is WAY overhyped as a threat and used as a means to justify DRM's real purpose of forcing the player to pay money for things rather then being able to 'cheat' like older games allowed, basically controlling what can be done with the game YOU purchased for. The money made from it is vastly more then any piracy would stop, I'll bet you that. 

A good majority of 'Pirates" typically won't even buy a game, even if there was no potential way to get it throughthose means. They get it because they CAN get it for free, if it is not, they typically won't get it. You can see the trend even in the use of demos, players not wanting to spend money on something unless they try it and like it, and even then people won't buy it unless to them its 'perfect'.

Piracy is just a fancy scapegoat to push the consumer into a more microtransaction heavy market. Simcity 2013 has only helped emphasize this (at least with EA) trying to make excuses of it been deep seeded as multiplayer and yet being so quickly proved wrong by someone just modifying the game files (to a very small degree mind you) to work singleplayer. Added in sandbox mode being not very 'sandboxy' as it claims, it just emphasizes to me that in recently years this threat of piracy is just a good way to try and hide the fact they want to push things on you like customization or 'cheats' as something you have to pay for.

So very true. Exactly what I've been saying for years.

In fact, pirating games, at least in some cases, works exactly the opposite way. Some people "test" the product and decide, hey I actually like this one, hell, might as well buy it now.

What nobody in the industry says though, is that maybe, just maybe our product/game sucks, and just maybe because it sucks, it doesn't sell. But no, that would be admitting that someone made a horrible game.

DRM is also about control, especially if you think about games like D3 and SimCIty. You don't own the game as such, you are just playing on their servers, for how long they feel like keeping them up. If they decide to pull the plug, you are basically screwed.

Also, its so much easier to push useless crap, like DLCs and micro transactions, when you have to be online all the time.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061
    I believe theres a huge difference between a few to several people passing a game disc around and millions upon millions of people downloading games free on the internet.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Wtf does this crap come from?!

It's been known for quite a while now that piracy has factually little to do with a games' business decision. There are VERY few cases of piracy actually hurting a game, and far more of it actually helping. Console games USED to make more money than PC, but that number is actually tipping in the opposite direct. This next gen of consoles is basically trying to keep business console oriented, inspite all the advancements PCs have over consoles atm.

Nothing to do with piracy, everything to do with technology, and certain companies trying to have a monopoly on the market. In fact, many of the decisions companies make to 'combat piracy' have less to do with actual piracy issues, and more to do with a desire to take some of the market away from Steam.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Lets just say I don't have the money or don't want to buy the game and I pirate that game who is at a loss? I would not have bought the game anyways. There was no money to be had from me. No one lost anything because there was never going to be an exchange of money. Kind of like when you borrow a game. All that happened was that I got something for nothing.

Thats the part that really bothers people. Why should I get something for free that they paid for? They feel cheated. Some people are just morally against it. Even though it's not really theft because no one lost anything. Funny how some people call it file sharing and others call it piracy or theft.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

In order to borrow a game from someone, you have to know someone who has it and is willing to let you borrow it.  In the absence of piracy, that means that a game company is guaranteed to make at least one sale to either you or one of your friends.  With piracy, you could all play it with no one having paid for it.

Furthermore, as has been said, if someone borrows a game from you, then he can't play it while you have it.  Piracy doesn't create that inconvenience issue that could push you to go buy your own copy.

Also, many games make a very large fraction of their revenue on or very near launch day.  Even if a friend is willing to let you borrow a game after he's had it for a year and no longer plays it, it doesn't follow that he'll let you borrow it the day he bought it while he wants to play it himself.  If you want to play a game the day it launches, then in the absence of piracy, you'd probably have to buy it yourself.

Originally posted by Quizzical

In order to borrow a game from someone, you have to know someone who has it and is willing to let you borrow it.  In the absence of piracy, that means that a game company is guaranteed to make at least one sale to either you or one of your friends.  With piracy, you could all play it with no one having paid for it.

Furthermore, as has been said, if someone borrows a game from you, then he can't play it while you have it.  Piracy doesn't create that inconvenience issue that could push you to go buy your own copy.

Also, many games make a very large fraction of their revenue on or very near launch day.  Even if a friend is willing to let you borrow a game after he's had it for a year and no longer plays it, it doesn't follow that he'll let you borrow it the day he bought it while he wants to play it himself.  If you want to play a game the day it launches, then in the absence of piracy, you'd probably have to buy it yourself.

Thats a valid point but someone had to either buy it or rent it in order to copy and crack it. So the company did make a sale either to that person or the company that rented it.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by GreenHell
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Thats a valid point but someone had to either buy it or rent it in order to copy and crack it. So the company did make a sale either to that person or the company that rented it.

If you share console games with friends, it's likely to be more people who buy the game than borrow it.  When a game is pirated, one person buying it and cracking the DRM could allow a million people to pirate it.

• grimjakkgrimjakk Member Posts: 192

And all of that ignores the huge "used game" market, that doesn't earn developers or publishers a dime.

The funny thing about the PC market tho'... is that the majority of the games I've played in the last year have been free-to-play, and the rest have been purchased through Steam. 

If you share console games with friends, it's likely to be more people who buy the game than borrow it.  When a game is pirated, one person buying it and cracking the DRM could allow a million people to pirate it.

Thats an assumption. Not a bad one though. Your are probably correct but it still doesn't change the act of getting something for nothing. You are just focusing on the quanity. The act itself remains the same.

In many ways isn't it the same as renting a game? The company buys the game one time and then rents it thousands of times making a profit each time. The developer only gets paid once. From the studios point of view how is it any different? They don't get paid any more money no matter how many people play that game. Their profit is the same for them if the game is rented or pirated. Only this time the players don't get it for free. They are basically paying to play a game that is in essence pirated.

Some how though one is ok and the other is not. The end result being exactly the same for the developer. Why is better to rent a game than pirate one? Is the only reason that instead of getting something for free you have to pay? The end result is still the same for the developers. The only difference is now I have to pay. That is really what its all about. The feeling of being cheated by someone that gets something for free.