Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My thoughts on the game so far.

2»

Comments

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by Rzep

When the topic of Defiance comes up I always see people disapointed or even bashing the game for being a PvE Shooter in an open world. As in complaining that it isn't a sandbox, a fullblown RPG or any other thing it was not advertised to be. I mean even though the NDA was up for a long time, information on the game was never hard to find so I don't get why so many people assumed the game would be different.

As for me, I like it. It's a shooter in which the shooting mechanics feel very nice, the light rpg elements seem to be fairly interesting, the tv show/game idea is intriguing, the vechicles are actually pretty fun to drive so for once "mounts" aren't just ways to get from point A to point B quicker (the motorcycle in WoW...). The PvP looks fun, some people complain that there is no cover mechanic, but quite frankly I am glad. No cover mechanic means that you have to move to survive, not just camp a nice piece of chest high wall.

I do wish the game looked better though. I mean, the graphics are fine, but it's no Planetside 2. The character creation is also pretty lackluster, but I have kinda grown used to the fact that a good character creator is still a rarity.

I wonder what Trion has in store for the future since they have done an amazing job with content patches for Rift.

The B2P model is also a major advantage as far as I am concerned. Ive noticed in recent times that my opinion of "if it has a sub, its better" has changed to "is there really a point to pay every month."

Many people see to have this issue. Walk into a game where information on what type of game it is can be readily found.  Find out its not the specific game they only like, then bash it for not being that game.

Even if i decide not to pick up this game and play it, i knew it was going to be a PVE focused TPS game.  Might call it a reskinned Rift for all i care, and thats what it appears to be, however, Rift certainly wasnt the worst game made out there.

I think it will be worth the purchase if you want a different look and feel to your themepark.  Certainly didnt have that dread feeling i get when i walk up to a farmers house in a fantasy game and learn his field has been over run by boars.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by Myria

Originally posted by ForumPvP
    Pretty solid game for a beta but somehow after 2 hours or so it made me to login Fallen Earth for some unknown reason.

Oddly that has been my reaction as well.

I like Defiance and would like to see it succeed, but what playing it mostly does is make me nostalgic for Fallen Earth.

Honestly, it's not hard to see why. They are similar in more than a few respects --  both shooters, both post-apacolypitc, for starters -- but ultimately Fallen Earth is a far deeper game. FE has cities, crafting (one of the best crafting system in any current  MMO, IMHO), one of the biggest game worlds ever (both a plus and minus, to be honest), meaningful progression (an AP system similar in some ways to TSW's), an AH, in-game mail, banks (too many different ones, to be honest), a functional chat system, and a minimally modable PC-based UI, among many other things Defiance entirely lacks. Not to mention unique things like the nicely handled 3rd-to-1st person transitions between normal and combat modes, the persistent mounts, and all that.

Ultimately I suppose that's the problem. For all that FE was a miserable commercial failure, it had quite a lot going for it, some ideas of its own -- if nothing else, no one was ever going to accuse it of being a WoW clone, which probably helped lead to its near dead current state -- and quite a lot of game depth. Defiance lacks any of that, and probably more than anything it's the not-even-parking-lot-puddle depth that makes me thing I'd be better off loading up FE.

Now after few hours of Fallen Earth i understand what i was after,i wanted to get rid of that blue ghost girl who was giving me orders how should I play and what i should do.

Let's internet

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Myria
    Pretty solid game for a beta but somehow after 2 hours or so it made me to login Fallen Earth for some unknown reason.

Oddly that has been my reaction as well.

I like Defiance and would like to see it succeed, but what playing it mostly does is make me nostalgic for Fallen Earth.

Honestly, it's not hard to see why. They are similar in more than a few respects --  both shooters, both post-apacolypitc, for starters -- but ultimately Fallen Earth is a far deeper game. FE has cities, crafting (one of the best crafting system in any current  MMO, IMHO), one of the biggest game worlds ever (both a plus and minus, to be honest), meaningful progression (an AP system similar in some ways to TSW's), an AH, in-game mail, banks (too many different ones, to be honest), a functional chat system, and a minimally modable PC-based UI, among many other things Defiance entirely lacks. Not to mention unique things like the nicely handled 3rd-to-1st person transitions between normal and combat modes, the persistent mounts, and all that.

Ultimately I suppose that's the problem. For all that FE was a miserable commercial failure, it had quite a lot going for it, some ideas of its own -- if nothing else, no one was ever going to accuse it of being a WoW clone, which probably helped lead to its near dead current state -- and quite a lot of game depth. Defiance lacks any of that, and probably more than anything it's the not-even-parking-lot-puddle depth that makes me thing I'd be better off loading up FE.

Now after few hours of Fallen Earth i understand what i was after,i wanted to get rid of that blue ghost girl who was giving me orders how should I play and what i should do.

Fire the guy who came up with that idea. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

As a casual shooter I dont have to pay a sub fee for and can just jump in and out when i have 30 minutes to play, the game works for me.  I prefer it for a PvE shooter over TSW.  If I am by myself and want some PvE shooter fun I'll jump in.  If I have some friends I am playing with, i will probably go with Firefall and do thumper runs.

I dont see this as a primary game and I dont believe that was the thought of Trion either.   Just a fun shooter to play and follow the episodes on TV with.  A more interesting way to stay connected to the show might be a better way to put it. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• LanceCLanceC Member UncommonPosts: 55
    They tried something different ... yay for that. Hope other upcoming MMOs take the good from it. Combat for one ... it's fun.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

basically the stuff I said in a nutshell a couple days ago in the guys "im bored thread" but without as much detail.

good job OP, I think the game is bad, and to the people who say oh youve only seen a little of it, I am sorry I cant get past the beginning details to even explore deeper.

Defiance is worst then Neverwinter, which I also consider horrible

• Corinthian-XCorinthian-X Member Posts: 86
    It says something about UI design when it takes a Google search to find the logout button.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Corinthian-X
    It says something about UI design when it takes a Google search to find the logout button.

lol yea.. also anyone else crashing when clicking on settings? does it in the main menu before i click my character or in game when you bring up the wheel and click settings.. game closes and need to restart my system to get back in

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

It has day night cycles, that alone impressed me along with the atmosphere was good.  I had some intense boss battles with my friend and we had a good old time.  I have to say I was impressed how smooth the game ran but it was developed by a good company Trion so I new it would be decent, I just didnt know how demanding the game would be. For anyone wondering, its not as demanding as Rift, not even close.  Im sure they will add more video options in it later though, but im glad its not crysis level of demanding graphics. 

Other then that, Im one who likes to add lots of friends and communicate in mmos and it was a bit ackward trying to talk to my friend whilst I was using a controller as the voice chat wasnt working aparently. Im not at all fond of the story with the tag along's none what so ever, but I wont hold it agsint the game even though its hard not to.  I wish there was an option to change out your characters tag along but you cant so thats that. (im refering to the lady who talks to u each time u get a quest or are doing things to do with your quests).

For what it is it has done a commendable job.  I wish Trion went a bit further, well alot futher into exploring the new prospects of having a the first PvE first person shooter MMOFPS break some barriers more into something we havent ever come across before. I wish the interaction with the AI was ground breaking is what I mean.  Some type of PvE MMOFPS groundbreaking content that we havent ever expierenced, some type of grouping system that makes good use of there idea, I think thats what im getting after.  Some type of ground breaking PvE content on the basis of grouping players togather in a new and exciting way to achive the maximum pleasure out of the new idea of PvE in a MMOFPS.  What we have here is a story driven/quest driven theme park ride that is sorta pushing the boundries of what we know as action MMOFPS PvE.

It is a very professional game that has all the hallmarks of a game that has been worked on a very lot and is a triple A MMO.   

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Volgore

Note that i haven't progressed too far and things are likely subject to change as one plays along or the game getting patched. Hence i say "first impression", i don't claim my points to be definite. These are also rather lose thoughts typed down in a hurry, so without too much coherency.

For a 2013 title, the game is bad -and not in a good way. In a nutshell, "Starship Troopers would like to meet Borderlands".

In my opinion Trion repeats some of the basic mistakes they already did with Rift 2 years ago. And like Rift, Trion invents nothing on their own, but borrows every idea from other games -and is not very good at that in every respective aspect of Defiance (they did that copying way better in Rift i think)

Ok, another "dynamic" world -full of a few constantly repeating events and objectives. I wonder what happens with people who come late to the game once the crowd moved on or the playerbase goes down. Again, alot of the content, immersion and experience relies on having tons of other players around you. You won't be able to solo arkfalls or objectives in those bases (destroy 5 pheromone pods etc) and people will cry nerf on the forums.

Wrong. The content scales to the number of players in an area. You can, and many have already, solo content like arkfalls.

Besides from riding around and shooting everything like a maniac you don't do much. In combat, the AI leaves little room for some tactical approach or thoughtful gameplay. My EGO ability was rather used as an "oh shit" button instead of defining my character or giving me feeling of character progression.

Youll see a much bigger difference in how useful your EGO ability is as you gain more and more points to buy perks and unlock more perk slots. With cloaking for example, it started out as kind of an "oh shit" ability for me, but as I started working through some of the perks and gaining more slots to boost it more its become a nearly permanent thing for me. I do way more damage with it and have a much longer duration and faster cooldown than when I first started allowing me to keep it up the majority of the time.

The open-world missions are pretty much all of the same kind and have little variation. They are rather just an excuse for even more mindless shooting. The world, despite being pretty huge and good looking here and there, is quite shallow in design.
    As far as i saw it, it lacks meaningful locations (in lack of a better term)...like places you like to visit over and over again in your favorite game, areas where you like to hang around in for days or don't get tired to kill stuff in.
    I don't get the urge to "kill'em baddies, get 'em big'uns" like i had in Borderlands, nor does the world invite me to explore like i did in i.e. Fallout.

I expected a little more interaction with the environment like opening boxes, entering buildings, stealing vehicles, setting up turrets or building blockades or such. Where are jetpacs? Storywise, everyone talks about terraforming, so why can't i even blow up a phone booth? I don't see any excuse for a 2013 title to not have all this. Climbing ladders and activating terminals is as far as it gets.

Um... what MMOs do have all of those things combined with the things that Defiance does have to offer? Its easy to point out that some other game has something Defiance doesnt, but it's funny you dont also mention the many things that game doesnt have that Defiance does. Some of the things you mention for example sound like PS2. Well for starters, PS2 has no PvE content whatsoever. It is just 1 large FPS arena. Also, it is a game based on a TV show. I have yet to see anything in the show where people are flying around with jetpacks. They have to stick closely to the show, not just throw stuff in because some random internet people think it is cool and somehow determines how "modern" a game is. (Btw, jetpacks have been in games for decades. Not exactly a recent invention or indicator of what year a game was made in.)

Everything about the game screams 2005 to me. The character does feel a bit clunky and not really as "live and direct" as one expects from a supposed to be AAA shooter. Many NPC-models and animations are just terribad and like many other approaches look like someone was just lazy...no fall damage?? Makes sense for vehicle jumps, but therefore disabling it altogether...come on.

This part I will actually agree with. No fall damage whatsoever seems a bit ridiculous.

Verdict:

For my taste, it is too much of a blunt shooter in disguise and too little of a shooterrpg or whatever some people praised it to be. It's a singleplayergame in which you run into other people, but without being given reason to even talk to them or remember a name. Probably this comes with being a console-game, as the console players wouldn't want to type much i guess...

What reason do you have to talk to and remember people in pretty much any game? Because YOU want to. Thats why. Choosing not to do it in 1 particular game, then claiming the game somehow forces that upon you is just horrible logic. Ive been playing MMOs for over a decade, and have spent much of my time as a solo player. No game has ever forced me to play it that way, it is simply the way I prefer to play. If at some point I feel like talking to and making friends with other players, I do it. I dont need the game to tell me its OK to talk to someone.

I can see this game being played by a small dedicated crowd and fans of the tv-show (which looks like one of these typical B-grade SciFi shows to me to be honest), but it won't be the huge hit some expect. It'll be a good title for me to grab on a steam -35% discount when i've got nothing to do on a weekend.

I expect it to get nothing less than an 8 on this site, i'd give it a 6.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    i'm not as enamored with Trion as so many ehre seem to be....To me , Rift was a terrible game...Tjhey stole so much from WoW and War that it felt like I wasnt even playing a new game but just ocntinuning some combo of those 2......I have zero confidence that this game won't be the same way.
  • LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    i'm not as enamored with Trion as so many ehre seem to be....To me , Rift was a terrible game...Tjhey stole so much from WoW and War that it felt like I wasnt even playing a new game but just ocntinuning some combo of those 2......I have zero confidence that this game won't be the same way.

After "alpha" experience I feel much the same way. Its a solid console game, but feels like a shitty console port in almost every way.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by eycel

It has day night cycles, that alone impressed me along with the atmosphere was good.  I had some intense boss battles with my friend and we had a good old time.  I have to say I was impressed how smooth the game ran but it was developed by a good company Trion so I new it would be decent, I just didnt know how demanding the game would be. For anyone wondering, its not as demanding as Rift, not even close.  Im sure they will add more video options in it later though, but im glad its not crysis level of demanding graphics. 

Other then that, Im one who likes to add lots of friends and communicate in mmos and it was a bit ackward trying to talk to my friend whilst I was using a controller as the voice chat wasnt working aparently. Im not at all fond of the story with the tag along's none what so ever, but I wont hold it agsint the game even though its hard not to.  I wish there was an option to change out your characters tag along but you cant so thats that. (im refering to the lady who talks to u each time u get a quest or are doing things to do with your quests).

For what it is it has done a commendable job.  I wish Trion went a bit further, well alot futher into exploring the new prospects of having a the first PvE first person shooter MMOFPS break some barriers more into something we havent ever come across before. I wish the interaction with the AI was ground breaking is what I mean.  Some type of PvE MMOFPS groundbreaking content that we havent ever expierenced, some type of grouping system that makes good use of there idea, I think thats what im getting after.  Some type of ground breaking PvE content on the basis of grouping players togather in a new and exciting way to achive the maximum pleasure out of the new idea of PvE in a MMOFPS.  What we have here is a story driven/quest driven theme park ride that is sorta pushing the boundries of what we know as action MMOFPS PvE.

It is a very professional game that has all the hallmarks of a game that has been worked on a very lot and is a triple A MMO.   

Seriously?

Pushing the boudries?

Maybe if you are a console player...

Go try out Firefall, another MMOFPS which is still a very unfinished game but vastly superior to Defiance in certain aspects nevertheless.

After a couple of hours of playing Defiance i have to say that i am utterly disappointed in this game.

First of all it has to be said that Defiance has a strong stench of consoles left, right and center.

Character customization is absolutely dreadful, graphics options are almost non existent and after all that we have a winner ...USER INTERFACE which is so bad for PC players that it's mind boggling to say the least.

Once you get over all these things you will start to notice the bad quality of movement and running animations, sub par sounds when you unload your weapons, driving mechanics which could be a lot better etc...

Bottom line, in my humble opinion this game in it's current state is absolutely not worthy of the 60$ triple A price tag if you are a PC player.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Vlacke

Seriously?

Pushing the boudries?

Maybe if you are a console player...

Go try out Firefall, another MMOFPS which is still a very unfinished game but vastly superior to Defiance in certain aspects nevertheless.

After a couple of hours of playing Defiance i have to say that i am utterly disappointed in this game.

First of all it has to be said that Defiance has a strong stench of consoles left, right and center.

Character customization is absolutely dreadful, graphics options are almost non existent and after all that we have a winner ...USER INTERFACE which is so bad for PC players that it's mind boggling to say the least.

Once you get over all these things you will start to notice the bad quality of movement and running animations, sub par sounds when you unload your weapons, driving mechanics which could be a lot better etc...

Bottom line, in my humble opinion this game in it's current state is absolutely not worthy of the 60$ triple A price tag if you are a PC player.

Pretty much all aspects after the update today. I would even say story simply because the Defiance story is cliched trash barely a step above Twilight.

• HcRpgerHcRpger Member Posts: 31

Volgore, I do have to say that that's what  I've been thinking, just by watching few long game play videos.

To me it just looks awful, animations; there is just something wrong with them, running for example, ugh, seriously...

And the same goes with "stuff to do", it just seems you endlessly shoot monsters, and that's it.

Also, you are not the only one that has mentioned the horrible UI for PC.

I don't think this one is going to be in my shopping basket anytime soon, even though I was thinking about it. Maybe when the price goes down.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334
    I think the simple idea of having PvE content in a MMOFPS is very intriguing. Its probably a big focus on whats to come in future online gaming and defiance will lead the pack to more sucessfull online MMOFPS games across multiple platform mmos.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Well I pretty much finished the 1st area we get to play, Mt. Tam. This beta there are only 2 areas open to the testers, Mt. Tam and Madera, so getting 60% through is impossible as one poster suggested.

All in all I think the game isn't bad, but it isn't any better than OK either. The models look OK, but the animations are a bit clunky. The UI is painfully clunky, obviously designed for consoles from the ground up, and not what PC players will be used to. I had a lot of screen stutter as well. Also, when grouped with a friend we would regularly see the other person just standing around when he was miles away towards the next mission location. I didn't get it myself but my mate also had a lot of rubber banding. Definately needs some work before it's ready for release imho.

I quite enjoyed the few hours I played tonight, there's a few things that are a bit iffy but all in all it's... OK. I did have one problem that occured quite a lot and that was using Decoy. I would quite often fall through the world, end up under concrete stairs or fall through a building with  no way out and would have to relog. Very annoying.

The problem is this; you can get a very similar experience from something like Global Agenda for free. So I have to ask, is Defiance worth the price of the box? Well, maybe. But then you have to consider that further content, items and races will all be delivered via DLC. Add all that up and it starts to look less attractive. Box plus a season pass is £50 ($75 or so?) and I'm not sure if that's value for money when you look at other games out there that cost you a lot less.

I'm also annoyed that there are only 2 races. The other 3 alien races are to be released in DLC packs. I'm getting pissed off with games developers doing this and the only way to stop them is to not buy DLC, or just not buy the game at all, so from a moral stance I should just pass on this one really.

I'm very undecided atm if this game is worth the price. It's an OK game worthy of a F2P model but I'm not sure it's worthy of B2P with DLC costing almost 1/3 of the box price for each one.

• HcRpgerHcRpger Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Well I pretty much finished the 1st area we get to play, Mt. Tam. This beta there are only 2 areas open to the testers, Mt. Tam and Madera, so getting 60% through is impossible as one poster suggested.

All in all I think the game isn't bad, but it isn't any better than OK either. The models look OK, but the animations are a bit clunky. The UI is painfully clunky, obviously designed for consoles from the ground up, and not what PC players will be used to. I had a lot of screen stutter as well. Also, when grouped with a friend we would regularly see the other person just standing around when he was miles away towards the next mission location. I didn't get it myself but my mate also had a lot of rubber banding. Definately needs some work before it's ready for release imho.

I quite enjoyed the few hours I played tonight, there's a few things that are a bit iffy but all in all it's... OK. I did have one problem that occured quite a lot and that was using Decoy. I would quite often fall through the world, end up under concrete stairs or fall through a building with  no way out and would have to relog. Very annoying.

The problem is this; you can get a very similar experience from something like Global Agenda for free. So I have to ask, is Defiance worth the price of the box? Well, maybe. But then you have to consider that further content, items and races will all be delivered via DLC. Add all that up and it starts to look less attractive. Box plus a season pass is £50 ($75 or so?) and I'm not sure if that's value for money when you look at other games out there that cost you a lot less.

I'm also annoyed that there are only 2 races. The other 3 alien races are to be released in DLC packs. I'm getting pissed off with games developers doing this and the only way to stop them is to not buy DLC, or just not buy the game at all, so from a moral stance I should just pass on this one really.

I'm very undecided atm if this game is worth the price. It's an OK game worthy of a F2P model but I'm not sure it's worthy of B2P with DLC costing almost 1/3 of the box price for each one.

Unfortunately this is how its going more and more with any type of games these days. You buy the game, but in fact you don't. You get only a certain amount of the game, and then DLCs come into place. You either buy them and get the "full" game or you don't, and play only a portion.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

It's not bad - glad I didn't pre-order. I like Firefall a lot better overall, even at this point in Firefall's beta.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

update on what ive seen thus far, good and the bad.

My enjoyment of the game has skyrocketed since i got my shotgun that sets mobs on fire and my light assult that electrocutes.

There seems to be a fair amount of complexity with the mods and effects on weapons, something i never even thought of as i romped around the starter areas.

Also have become a big fan of how characters look, using the cash shop credits they give you to test the cash shop out ect.  I dont think 90% of the people in game realize they have a heap of cash shop credits to test out.

And i just somewhat fully explored the one area they have everyone in, its pretty huge, much larger than i origionally thought, wish we could explore out past it.  If the other areas are as large this has some of the largest areas of a non open world game ive seen. 

Did some of the "events"  There seems to be several types of helicoper drop events.  I was standing around afk looking through the menus and one popped on me.  Fairly simple, revive the NPC's who just crashed on top of me then kill the mobs that copter drop on me.  There was also one with no NPC and a couple of bigass chain gun and grenade launcher guys, it was pretty hard to solo.  Ive never been a fan of this kind of content. I did enjoy the helicoper drop dynamic events though.  Seemed the right mix of stuff to do, being short, and being somewhat easy and rewarding.

Then there were these little blue glowy things that seemed to warp me into a challange instance.  The one i did gave me a big shotgun (not my cool fire breathing shotgun) and limited me to using just that.  Then had TONS of melee mobs and a few gun shooting mobs.  I had to kill like 100 of them.  It was ranked by players who did it in the past.  It was meh.  I know it was optional and i see the event things all over the place.  Was great XP but dont see much of a point unless you want to sit in the challange forever and try to beat the high score.  Not sure if you get a title or prize for doing so.

Also, and i think its a mix of the desync issues going on right now, but some of the quests are pretty damn hard.  Ive died a lot.  Death penalty is non existant.  You go into a crawl mode with a bar that drains.  You get a insta revive on a timer and a extraction option.  Extraction puts you at a bind spot or just outside the area.  Very carebear imo.

Finally, im sick to death of this femal mutant NPC.  I hate looking at her, i hate how she tries really hard to sound cool and badass, i hate her "lingo" what must be TV series talk..like they invented a few words for the series and she uses them a lot.  Super lame to hear her talk even with out the lore invented lingo.  This my folks is going to be one of those lores that tries really, really hard to sound badass and awesome...something that irks me greatly.  Oh and the enemy "mutant" seem more like zombies to me...kinda played out with the zombie thing, and i know they are lore relevant mutants but still. Least its nit high fantasy.

Even with the stuff that pisses me off like the lore and the try hard NPC, the game is pretty damn fun thus far. The change of scenery and lore type is much needed. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    So disappointed in this right now.  Not to the level of D3 disappointment, but still... expected so much better from Trion.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Anyone who pays full price for this game is a chump and gets what they deserve. Uninspired, massive single player game. Save the $50, buy it for $10 in 4 months on the Steam sale. Oh, the UI for PC is absolutely terrible. Not like people have not been warned, at this point.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

My impression after 2-3 hours of play is that Defiance is squarely aimed at the console market. Even the box price is in the standard console "new game release" range. And in the console market it may well be "ground breaking" or at least innovative and "different" (I'm guessing here, don't know much about the variety of "MMO's" in the console market).

TV-show tie-in, DLC's galore and a Cash Shop... It sort of feels like this is a cool monetization concept with a game built around it image