Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New vid card problem

MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
Just kicked it up a notch and installed more ram and a new Titan gpu. Was gaming fine for about 45mins and then the screen froze then the screen went to black. At first I thought maybe the card is overheating so I ran a program while playing a game and checked the temp every 5mins and the hottest it got was 61c so it wasn't overheating. Computer crashed again, so after I rebooted I checked the event viewer and the critical error was Id 41, and from what I heard that means lack of power, my psu that I got is a 750w thermaltake, I just bought a corsair 860i ax, does everything I said make sense and if so will the new psu work?

Comments

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    I would ask this question on overclockers http://www.overclockers.com/  more pro's with fast answers there.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Power supply is a likely culprit.

Thermaltake power supplies are hit or miss. A ~Good~ 750W would be more than enough, even for a Titan (which isn't all that power hungry, oddly enough). A ~Good~ 500W could probably run it.

Two other things I would have checked before dropping nearly $200 on a PSU that may or may not fix the problem though.

First, if you are overclocking ~anything~, put it all back to stock normal speeds and see if that helps.

Second, run a memory test. There is one built into Windows if you hit F8 while starting up, but I prefer Memtest86 - free download that runs from a CD or thumb drive. Make sure that new memory you put in there is all working correctly.

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Disregard my post. I didn't read the original post closely enough. Oopsy.
  • bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by Ridelynn Power supply is a likely culprit. Thermaltake power supplies are hit or miss. A ~Good~ 750W would be more than enough, even for a Titan (which isn't all that power hungry, oddly enough). A ~Good~ 500W could probably run it. Two other things I would have checked before dropping nearly $200 on a PSU that may or may not fix the problem though. First, if you are overclocking ~anything~, put it all back to stock normal speeds and see if that helps. Second, run a memory test. There is one built into Windows if you hit F8 while starting up, but I prefer Memtest86 - free download that runs from a CD or thumb drive. Make sure that new memory you put in there is all working correctly.

I doubt he is worried about $200 when he just bought a titan that costs $1000. Real question is why would you spend that kinda money on a gpu, but whatever. He probably has a configuration wrong someplace or it could be tthe PSU, I have used thermaltake before in builds and never had a problem with their psu, however; it could be an issue here if he is doing heavy overclocking on both his cpu and gpu and not configuring right.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Exactly what other hardware do you have?  In particular, exactly what power supply is that that you're replacing?  Also, what case do you have?

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Have not done any overclocking, someone said they had the same problem that I have and they had a 1600w psu and switched to a corsair 1200w and its fine, he said the psu needs to have enough amps to handle the card when the fps jumps higher, in the events viewer the crit error was ID 41 which I was told is power loss, and to answer the question as to why I would spend that much on a card, if I can then why not, it's a very nice card so I bought it.
    Psu was a thermaltake smart series 750w
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Sounds like a PSU problem. I would also check the new RAM you put in, especially if the problem continues with the new power supply.

kept new ram in and put old vid card in and no problems

I'd think that the Thermaltake Smart 750 W should have been fine.  It's hardly great, but it's not bad, either.  If it had been, say, a Thermaltake Purepower 750 W (actually, I'm not sure off hand if the purepower line hit that exact wattage, but they were all junk), then I'd immediately blame the power supply.

Make sure you've got the latest video drivers.  The Titan is a fairly recent card, so older drivers probably don't support it.

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675

Did you do a clean driver sweep and install the titan-specific drivers?  Right now the WHQL drivers for titans are seperate from the WHQL drivers for other nvidia cards.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/57416

Good luck with this.  Also check your ram, possibly a bad stick in there.

• zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 200

the new PSU may work, I also have 16GB ram and a Titan GTX and a 1100 PSU and no problems at all.

Edited to add that ultra setting ftw

To help clarify:

Critical Error 41 isn't "Total Power Loss", rather, it's "Your computer was rebooted without cleanly shutting down" - which can mean a lot of different things.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

Total power loss would almost certainly be power supply or motherboard. Error Code 41 would be thrown under a "Total Power Loss" - which is more or less the equivalent of just yanking the cord out of the wall while the computer is running.

However, there are a lot of ways your computer can reboot without cleanly shutting down, and without necessarily going through a "Total power loss". Really it just means your computer crashed before it had a chance to figure out what the real error code was, or crashed hard enough that Windows couldn't record the real error code.

Driver problems are probably the most likely culprit.

Faulty hardware isn't implausible either - particularly RAM, motherboard, or video card. Power supply isn't outside of the realm of possibility, although if your power supply really is bad, it's probably burned up other items with it: RAM, motherboard, and video card are all very common victims.

Ok, changed out the psu and again everything was fine for 35 - 45mins and then the screen froze and comp locked up, it seems to only happen with 1 game but the old card played that game just fine, Im so pissed now, any ideas guys ??
  • miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    If it's literally ONLY happening with ONE GAME and it works fine with everything else to include other games that push the gpu (and the rest of your system) to similar limits it is most likely a driver issue which means there is not much you can do until a hotfix is released.  I'd do a quick search on google to see if others are experiencing similar issues with the Titan and said game.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I've had that happen to me when I bought an Nvidia card long time ago, which was the best they had. Returned it and got the best ATI card, and no problems.
    Originally posted by miguksaram
    If it's literally ONLY happening with ONE GAME and it works fine with everything else to include other games that push the gpu (and the rest of your system) to similar limits it is most likely a driver issue which means there is not much you can do until a hotfix is released.  I'd do a quick search on google to see if others are experiencing similar issues with the Titan and said game.

One game can easily push hardware harder than others.  For that matter, one game can easily push particular parts harder than others, and sometimes it only takes one dodgy transistor (out of billions!) to bring everything to a screeching halt.  When hardware is faulty due to heat or power issues, it can easily seem to work fine in some games and not others.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    The Titan eats 250w by itself, so I second the PSU suggestion. Depending on system config, you might be over.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by miguksaram

One game can easily push hardware harder than others.  For that matter, one game can easily push particular parts harder than others, and sometimes it only takes one dodgy transistor (out of billions!) to bring everything to a screeching halt.  When hardware is faulty due to heat or power issues, it can easily seem to work fine in some games and not others.

Which is why I stated it in the fashion I did.  Yes it could easily be a hardware issue but before I made that assumption (meaning RMA) I would exhaust all other options, especially with a new card like the Titan and little driver support yet to be released specifically for it.  This goes double if there is literally only one single game I'm having issues with that doesn't have a history of abusing lesser cards.  Which is why I also suggested doing a google search for his specific issues as if it was infact a coding issue it would most likely be documented.

psu is a corsair ax 860i, is that enough ?

More than enough.

I would try a clean windows install with new drivers. Huge PITA I admit, but best way to ensure no driver conflicts and to really make sure it's a hardware problem and not a software problem - it's a lot easier if you have a spare hard drive you can just plug in and do a clean install on that, and then swap your original drive back in if it's still AFU.

If that fails RMA the card at this point.

my adapter info reads, Total Available Graphics Memory 5834mb

Dedicated Video Memory 2048mb

System Video Memory 0mb

Shared System Memory 3786mb

should it be reading it like that or is something wrong ?

A GeForce GTX Titan should have 6 GB of dedicated video memory, not 2 GB.  But that's probably just a 32-bit overflow error, since the number of bytes that it should have and that it says it has differs by exactly 2^32.
  • SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Makidian

psu is a corsair ax 860i, is that enough ?

For most gaming rigs, this is plenty, even with a Titan. Can you post full system* specs though? Maybe you have an unusually high power footprint.

Edit: including tower, lights, fans, and everything else that draws power.*

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

I will post system specs later today, so it should read 6gb dedicated memory ? Why doesn't it read that and how do I fix it ?