Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heavy Assult help

adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

Ive been playing quite a while and though im better than before, i get chewed up sometime and it makes me question my build.  Currently i  have Nanite mesh gen maxed out for ability slot and Nano weave armor almost maxed for the suit slot. 

Any suggestions on where to spend points other than where i did?

Thanks!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by adderVXI

Ive been playing quite a while and though im better than before, i get chewed up sometime and it makes me question my build.  Currently i  have Nanite mesh gen maxed out for ability slot and Nano weave armor almost maxed for the suit slot. 

Thanks!

I'd highly suggest investing in some explosives (grenades / mines). Having those is a HUGE benefit. Also unlocking a lock-on rocket launcher will help against vehicles.

Other than that, don't be surprised if you die. That happens a lot with frontline troop units. You'll be harder to kill the better you get, but as long as you are actually helping your faction (by getting into those important fights), you can expect to be killed repeatedly.

Also, if you haven't already, join an Outfit. The key to dying less often in this game is playing with an organized group of people that will have your back. When I play assault I get killed a lot, but there's usually medics and tanks / jets backing me up.

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282

Thanks!

yeah i use the same setup tbh, ps2 is a bit unforgiving in the TTK, but with good accuracy and your personal shield up you should be able to take a couple of people out in close quaters, which faction do you play and what gun do you use?  Normally i suggest 3 setups, long mid and short range, but it may depend on your play style, but the heavy is pretty versitle.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Thanks for the reply!  I did get grenades and a hawk and crow for launchers.  Did the medpacks (the instant ones) and that seemed to help some for sure.  I guess what im wondering is when i round a corner and theres a light assult there and i pop my shields and dump 10 rounds in him, he doesnt go down and shoots me 2 times and i die, what is going on?  I know he could have head shot me but it seems odd.  If had a few face-offs with a few other heavies to and we seem to react at the same time and though i figure he should have met his maker, im the one dead :)

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330
    This is either because of accuracy, your weapon, or a combination of both.  Which weapon do you use?
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Thanks for the reply!  I did get grenades and a hawk and crow for launchers.  Did the medpacks (the instant ones) and that seemed to help some for sure.  I guess what im wondering is when i round a corner and theres a light assult there and i pop my shields and dump 10 rounds in him, he doesnt go down and shoots me 2 times and i die, what is going on?  I know he could have head shot me but it seems odd.  If had a few face-offs with a few other heavies to and we seem to react at the same time and though i figure he should have met his maker, im the one dead :)

LA's almost always have a shotgun, the latest pump action of which will 1 shot a target every time as long as they're in effective range.

I think they're stupidly overpowered personally, but i'm guessing it works the way the average FPS player wants it to.

If you are using the default lmg you might consider getting a cheap 100-250 cert gun that has a higher rate of fire. They tend to work better up close, although not as good as a shotgun.

Originally posted by feena750
    This is either because of accuracy, your weapon, or a combination of both.  Which weapon do you use?

I think your probably right.  I use a EM6 with a comp, forward grip and the 2x type reflex sight.  Theres not doubt that my ping might be hurting me and also im not the best fps player out there.  The could be drilling me in the head...

George Washington

Yeah any shotgun up close is deadly if you have the accuracy, but if your not that accurate, i would suggest trying out the battle rifle with a 2x scope, as its a semi automatic, so you can control your recoil a little more, its a good learning tool, but its not that effective at close range but ideal for a support heavy.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by feena750

I think your probably right.  I use a EM6 with a comp, forward grip and the 2x type reflex sight.  Theres not doubt that my ping might be hurting me and also im not the best fps player out there.  The could be drilling me in the head...

You also might be playing too aggressively atm.

Until you get more comfortable aiming, You don't have to stand super close to be able to tear into a target. With the light assaults, this is especially true as getting hit w/ a shotgun hurts nomatter what you are. As with most FPS games, aiming for the upper-chest / head makes a huge difference. I've killed pleanty of light assaults this way, but if the people you are facing are skilled, it's still a tough fight.

Don't put yourself into positions where you're going to be taking a lot of hits. MAXs are way better at soaking up damage. The HA shield helps, but it's basically a way of stalling death so you can get a few kills in. Any of the harder hitting weapons will tear through an HA's shield in 1-2 hits, so be careful.

Yeah a key thing is to aim at the chest, by doing that when you do hit recoil for your next shot, it should hit towards the head (as most of the ps2 weapons recoil upwards), the VR is a good place try out the recoil on guns, if your using an automatic weapon, pull your mouse towards you as you fire to counteract the recoil, another thing is to lead targets, this is especailly important when shooting at flying light assults, dont aim directly at them but just a little infront of the direction they are traveling.
  • BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

have you tried using adrenline rush shield to go with your full nano weave armor?

alot of it is situational, and the unforgiving TTK really makes it feel that going any which way wouldnt make a whole lot of difference.

but again, if your the type of heavy that likes to push forward, adrenline shield maybe something to look into. 

Originally posted by Beanpuie

have you tried using adrenline rush shield to go with your full nano weave armor?

alot of it is situational, and the unforgiving TTK really makes it feel that going any which way wouldnt make a whole lot of difference.

but again, if your the type of heavy that likes to push forward, adrenline shield maybe something to look into. 

I havent tried this but i may just give it a go.  It does feel like it doesnt really matter sometimes...

George Washington

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

If you are going for close assault play, there really is nothing better than the shotguns right now...they are just omgawd compared to anything else up close.

If you're more of a long range support person, certing and learning to use the various launchers combined with a nice scoped/recoil minimized rifle is the way to go.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

The reason LA are getting the drop on you is they put that stupid OP pump shotgun.   They can one shot if they are close enough.   If they are at or near 30 meters they can still two shot you.  Add to that that LA are so mobile, they are hopping around and flying about makes them that much harder to kill(I know - I play LA a lot  image ).    The key to playing HA, especially CQC, is to have the fire power to back you up.   Use a shotgun, or an SMG(only use these weapons if you are a good shot - because otherwise you're dead).   These weapons are good at CQC and just cannot be beat.   Get certed in nanoweave and pop your shield when you get into a close fight. 

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

PS2 is all about side grade specializations.

The guy who is getting the jump on you is a light assualt built specifically for the exact situation that your losing the encounters in.

Heavy assault would stand a chance per-say if you had health packs, nanoweave armor, and either a rifle built for short range encounters or the chain gun (not sure if they made those usefull though)

Problem is, even in short range HA is best for a front on assualt, charging into a room where you know people are.

The Light assult is suited for popping into a room of unsuspecting people and doing a lot of damage.

Basically, you shouldnt expect any other role to excel in the situation your in, other than a shotgun light assualt.  Its literally the only place such a role and specialization excels in.

You can defeat him with a trap (problem is you have to know hes going to pop into that room), overwhelming numbers, support such as heals, engineer proximity mines to cover your back and windows, or just dumb luck.