Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Missing out ?

zspawnzspawn Member Posts: 410

I am wondering, any of you have a feeling that they're missing out on other video games (not MMO but in general, single player or other multiplayer of non MMO nature) whenever you focus on a single MMO ? 

I've been having this feeling a lot lately even if i do like the current mmo i play...

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yeah, many MMOs take a lot of time and most of us have limited time so that means it is hard to be "competetive" in a game.

That is probably one of the reasons I played Guildwars so many years, you dont have to play it all the time but can just play it when it is fun without problems getting groups due to not having the latest raid gear.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i do not feel like im missing out on anything

theres plenty of gaming news sites that keep you informed of whats being released

and many online games have trials  (mmos and non-mmos)

more often  (looking at YOU Steam)

-- ill have games I already bought sitting dormant waiting to be played  ;)

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I was unemployed for a long time so  I couldn't afford to buy games. I'm now employed and can afford to buy them. But I have a lot less time to play them.

I'm surrounded by games I want to buy and play but can't.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • zspawnzspawn Member Posts: 410

I didnt mean missing out on releases or information...

I realised I haven't played Assassin Creed series or bioshock series for example... 

every time i login i feel like im spending time in one game when i could have been playing lots of others..

Originally posted by zspawn

I realised I haven't played Assassin Creed series or bioshock series for example... 

every time i login i feel like im spending time in one game when i could have been playing lots of others..

if it makes you feel any better - i have the same feelings w reading books

if im reading a long book thats taking me awhile to get though  (even tho its good)

sometimes ill take a break from reading it -- and start another appealing book

the books / games are not going anywhere

theyll be there when you feel like experiencing them

you are very right in a way but books do not change every year...pages + text so you can enjoy a 1000 year old masterpiece even today... i doubt i could play 1970s Pong for a long time tho :D

you are very right in a way but books do not change every year...pages + text so you can enjoy a 1000 year old masterpiece even today... i doubt i could play 1970s Pong for a long time tho :D

i still have a fondness for space invaders and galaga -- both also from the 70s

but yes I agree w you

I grew up during 8bit/16bit era so I have the same fondness...but between them, PS1 era and XBOX/PS2 era and the current generation....and MMOs.... ohgawd so many games :D

wish i could somehow come down to a ruling or schedule on how to enjoy everything...how do you guys manage your sessions?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Every now and then I step out and play the latest single player title (SC, Skyrim) and find that they just don't hold my interest more than 3 or 4 weeks and I return back to MMORPG space.

So no, just like with MMORPG's, I don't really like how single player RPG's evolved from the titles I enjoyed in the 80's and 90s.

I really feel I missed out big time in the MMORPG space when I first started because I focused on Lineage 1, DAOC (for a long time), Shadowbane,  Lineage 2 and WOW.

I totally missed out on UO, AC1, AO, and SWG, all of which I'm sure I would have had a blast in during their heydays.

But now days I don't worry about it, doesn't matter what MMORPG I try (and I've played a lot), they all are pretty much the same in this post WOW era (I started EVE in 2008 and that was another old-school experience) so now I don't worry if I'm missing anything, in either single player games or MMO's.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

MIssing out? Not really. I've never played the BioShock or Assassin's Creed games, and I'm just not intrested enough to try them.

Now, I do wish I could put in the time to be better at most of the games I play. I would love to be a top tier raider/arena pvper in World of Warcraft or a great RTS gamer, but I only ever get to be "pretty good" in videa games. The exception is RTS games where I actually stink, but I still buy them and play well enough to beat the computer on the highest difficulty levels.

So, in that regard, I sometimes feel that I'm "missing out", but it's nowhere near compelling enough for me to re-prioritize my time.

Wish i could say the same, im usually stuck in a vicious circle - play mmo ? I feel like im missing out on general gaming, building a pile of shame of games I havent played...if i play some other game i feel like im staying behind in mmo progress (gear/level/raid/pvp whatever)

some days i just miss the simpler old days of gaming...in front of a tv focusing on one game getting all excited... then i miss those games too....becomes a snowball that crushes me and i end up browsing mmorpg.com forums looking for another game or something that i could devote my 100% gaming time to...

oh well i should find a way to not be indecisive then :P

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

I feel I missed out on the golden age days of EQ/SWG/UO/SB since I got into EQ a while after Luclin came out, just before PoP and didn't really have that much time to play being a lowly and young highschool student (thankfully now that I have an awesome house and job maybe that's not so bad?), then when I finally had time I got absorbed into the fun (at the time) that was vanilla WoW and didn't even realize the other games existed until they were on their downswing.

I feel like I am missing out a fair bit on the EQ2 front of things. I play it sporadically, but I have trouble pushing myself past the level 60...I just get frustrated or bored since my crafting skills usually lag behind...then I try to marathon a crapton of crafting, get frustrated and bored then stop playing a while.

I also wish my brain was a little bit more different with EVE too. Love the space game and the market, but due to a slightly irrational temper I can't stand the pvp, and the pve in the game gets a little mechanical due to the detached nature of the game and that actually playing the game only gets you money and not exp/skills.

Hoping that the near future gives us a few more long term MMOs to get excited about! So far all I've been doing is conquering galaxies in Endless Space for the last several months. I'd definately like a new long term game world I can build a home in for the next few years.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Nope, not me. I cant stay with a single game for longer than a month at a time.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I am wondering, any of you have a feeling that they're missing out on other video games (not MMO but in general, single player or other multiplayer of non MMO nature) whenever you focus on a single MMO ? 

I've been having this feeling a lot lately even if i do like the current mmo i play...

No. I don't focus on a single MMO. Why should i? There are so many fun games out there.