Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online

Ez-RollerEz-Roller Member Posts: 18

So I've been searching for a mmo to fill this WoW shape space in my heart but didn't find any. 

And then some mates of mine from Starcraft suggested I should totally try out EvE.

None of my irl friends play this, and from what I've read it's preety overwhealming to a newbie if he can't find an experienced corp. to help him out.

I've started reading about it, and the first thing I found remarcable is the community, I've never seen such a solid community in any mmo, so I've decided to buy it.

So are there any mates here willing to share their EvE wisdom with me? cos I would really like to get into this game! 

Cheers!

Comments

• MulliMulli Member Posts: 94
    1. Trust no-one.

2. Don't fly anything you can't afford to lose.

3. Find a good corp (then see point 1).

Welcome to EVE :)
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

I've been playing EVE off and on for eight years and there's still huge parts of the game I don't understand.  I picked my little niche and I would say that I'm an expert in that area, but in other facets I would have to do some major reading just to get started.

EVE is the most in-depth game you'll ever play.  It's one of the reasons I love it.  Its difficulty is its own built in "barrier to entry".  In the entire time I've been playing I've been in a dozen corps and never once heard a kid on voice comms.  That alone is a huge bonus unlike the other game I play all the time, World of Tanks, which is chocked full of window licker kiddies.  Now don't get me wrong, some kids are great at EVE, but in this age of entitlement, most of them can't handle the fact that EVE forces them to work for something.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Mulli
    1. Trust no-one. 2. Don't fly anything you can't afford to lose. 3. Find a good corp (then see point 1). Welcome to EVE :)

Totally agree with the first two. Especially Rule One "Trust No One"... ^^ But I spent almost six years in the game, and never left SWA.  I quite enjoyed the game, until CCP started to lose track of what their game is all about.  If I remember right I had around 43 million SP's from that time.  EVE can be a lot of fun, but it still has a pretty steep learning curve (though not nearly as bad as it once was).

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • StimzStimz Member UncommonPosts: 79

https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=fede3f8e-67ec-482b-90b1-b89cf3c6828b&action=buddy

Thats a Buddy invite, It lets ya get an extrended trial... 21 days I think?, I my self jsut started playing with some guild friends about a month ago, and I absolutly LOVE IT. They have helped me out alot since they have been playing since like.. 2009 I believe, but  Defentally , Dont fly something you cant afford to lose lol... I have falling into that one acouple times now.. Hope ya Enjoy the game ^^ I know I have.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Stimz's reply is exactly why you shouldn't trust anyone in EVE :-)

A case of looking helpful/generous and yet there's always an ulterior motive, ie he gets a PLEX if you sub off his invite.

If you want a buddy invite do it via one of the people in this thread - https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=9874 Atleast then you'll get a load of ISK to help you on your way.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by ezroller
    So I've been searching for a mmo to fill this WoW shape space in my heart but didn't find any. And then some mates of mine from Starcraft suggested I should totally try out EvE.None of my irl friends play this, and from what I've read it's preety overwhealming to a newbie if he can't find an experienced corp. to help him out.I've started reading about it, and the first thing I found remarcable is the community, I've never seen such a solid community in any mmo, so I've decided to buy it.So are there any mates here willing to share their EvE wisdom with me? cos I would really like to get into this game!  Cheers!

Be prepared for a slow paced game with a lot of downtime.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by Nitth

So I've been searching for a mmo to fill this WoW shape space in my heart but didn't find any. 

And then some mates of mine from Starcraft suggested I should totally try out EvE.

None of my irl friends play this, and from what I've read it's preety overwhealming to a newbie if he can't find an experienced corp. to help him out.

I've started reading about it, and the first thing I found remarcable is the community, I've never seen such a solid community in any mmo, so I've decided to buy it.

So are there any mates here willing to share their EvE wisdom with me? cos I would really like to get into this game! 

Cheers!

Be prepared for a slow paced game with a lot of downtime.

EvE is slow paced in the sense that you skill up over time, I'm not sure what the "lot of downtime" means. Downtime is 11:00 to about 11:15 GMT although it can be anything from 10 to 30 minutes.

Perhaps in the sense that you have to wait for other people to do stuff, it could be called down time, but then again that's the same in any game I guess.

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

• Ez-RollerEz-Roller Member Posts: 18

Thanks mates for all your replys. I didn't use a buddy invite, because I bought the game before I could read your comments. Anyways, i'm haveing a great time, love the game so far... still looking for a good corp who would take in noobies and help them with knowledge not necessarily material crap, like ships and isk! If you know some corp. like that, please let me know!

Cheers!

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

Thanks mates for all your replys. I didn't use a buddy invite, because I bought the game before I could read your comments. Anyways, i'm haveing a great time, love the game so far... still looking for a good corp who would take in noobies and help them with knowledge not necessarily material crap, like ships and isk! If you know some corp. like that, please let me know!

Cheers!

EVE University is a good place to start. Or, if you're interested in pvp, give Red Vs Blue a go: It requires no compromise, and you can join and leave as many times as you like. I have fond memories of my time there.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Cheers!

Don't become a Miner

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

Cheers!

Don't become a Miner

Hahaha, funny how I was just thinking of doing that to get some ISK to get me started! 

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by Ez-Roller

Cheers!

Don't become a Miner

Hahaha, funny how I was just thinking of doing that to get some ISK to get me started! 

1  BattleClinic - use it to find ship builds

Pick a ship to fly and focus on skills to improve it. A lot of people waste time raising skills they do not even need.

2  Missions -

Pick a ship that can pvp and pve and buy 2 of them. Run missions to salvage. Sell salvage to earn isk. I hate mining and salvaging is the best isk I could find starting off.

I started as caldari and jumped from kestrel to caracal to drake. This let me focus on missile skills while moving toward the drake which is a great mission runner while also being noob friendly due to having an insane passive tank. On the PvP side I have a 2nd drake fitted for ganking with hams, buffer tank, web, microwarp, etc.

I suggest you learn the ship roles first. I am pretty new myself but these are the things that I have learned so far. 

• GGrimmGGrimm Member Posts: 49
    Just remember that unlike most other MMOs where the grind is Experience, the grind in EvE is ISK. So the goal is to try and figure out the most efficient way to get ISK for time spent. The quicker you make ISK the more time you will have to pursue / explore other aspects of the game. Missions tend to generate fairly good ISK/time spent, but the more you learn about the game the more other ways will become apparent to you. Good luck and fly safe o7.

Cheers!

Don't become a Miner

That's what I did in the beggining as well, nothing wrong with that. It's not the most profitable activity, especially in high-sec, but it sure can get you started while you train some skills.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

I've applied 2 days ago for eve university, kind of a  drag application to be honest, and still  I haven't got my in game mail. Do you guys know how long does it usualy take?
  • lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Could take a couple of days. It is a huge corp and they take in a lot of apps. They have screen each one to weed out the spies and such. If you haven't got you vent/ts interview yet, just hang in there. It took my friend over a week, but he was barely on and had to rescedule interviews a couple times.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I've applied 2 days ago for eve university, kind of a  drag application to be honest, and still  I haven't got my in game mail. Do you guys know how long does it usualy take?

Have you tried the corp finder in game? If so, I'm interested in whether it was helpful or not in finding corps that fit your time and playstyle.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Have you tried the corp finder in game? If so, I'm interested in whether it was helpful or not in finding corps that fit your time and playstyle.

I've tried it mate, not so helpful. Only showed a limited number of corps, most of them with 10, 20 members tops! So no, i did not find it usefull at all.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Don't be afraid to try out a few corps, having some people to chat with while grinding isk makes all the difference.

something not mentioned above, if you see it local, it is a scam. I don't care if your mother linked the contract, if she did it in local, she's scamming you.

E-uni takes some time to process their applications. I've only blown em up, not been in but I think the motd on their public channel states which date's applications they're currently working on.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

A case of looking helpful/generous and yet there's always an ulterior motive, ie he gets a PLEX if you sub off his invite.

If you want a buddy invite do it via one of the people in this thread - https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=9874 Atleast then you'll get a load of ISK to help you on your way.

Uhh.. no this is not an example why you should not trust anyone in Eve because he would lose nothing if he subscribes and Stimz get a PLEX.

Why you should not trust anyone in Eve is because there are a lot of people who will try to scam and take things from you or just get you killed for the hell of it.

EDIT: After reading that thread then yes, you could argue that he would lose some ISK if he found someone to give him the cash for finishing a trial but still I would not say this is scamming. There are far worse scams in the game than this.

Originally posted by Yamota

Uhh.. no this is not an example why you should not trust anyone in Eve because he would lose nothing if he subscribes and Stimz get a PLEX.

Why you should not trust anyone in Eve is because there are a lot of people who will try to scam and take things from you or just get you killed for the hell of it.

EDIT: After reading that thread then yes, you could argue that he would lose some ISK if he found someone to give him the cash for finishing a trial but still I would not say this is scamming. There are far worse scams in the game than this.

I hear you. Some cunt placed a bounty on me for the hell of it. I was trying to tell him im a 4 days player, he just loled at me. I will mine and use all my isks to place a huge bounty on that fuckers head!

Originally posted by Yamota

I hear you. Some cunt placed a bounty on me for the hell of it. I was trying to tell him im a 4 days player, he just loled at me. I will mine and use all my isks to place a huge bounty on that fuckers head!

That's the spirit :D Remember you can also use your isk to buy a ship powerful enough to suicide gank that guy whenever you find him flying something vulnerable. Have fun!

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    A 100k bounty is meaningless in terms of any effect it will actually have. It's just a "hi there!".

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Originally posted by Malcanis
    A 100k bounty is meaningless in terms of any effect it will actually have. It's just a "hi there!".

He placed 1mil

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Malcanis

He placed 1mil

Been quite a while since i last put a bounty on someone, but unless things have changed, you can only put a bounty on someone with a negative standing with concord? image