Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some gaming headset advice

WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

I am looking ti iunvest in a premium WIRED headset and can't for the life of me find any decent reviews...

Anything I find is pretty much ***** OMFG this is teh BESTZZZZ , or  * THEY SUXXXORZZZ

I would appreciate some decent objective advice.

The units I am considering are:

Astro A40 (2013)

Razer Tiamat 7.1

Logitech G35

Things that are important to me are build quality (nothing that feels cheap or plasticy), sound (of course), and microphone

I like a lot of the features of the Tiamat but the reivews are so mixed, wth the mic etc.

I am using a Soundblaster Titanium Xi-Fi sound card but am considering changing that as well...

I would appreciate any feedback from people that use any of the above product or have suggestions for something else.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Comments

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346

had the tiamat, G35 and some others. the best one was the Roccat Kave. i recommend it above the rest. it's much better than those USB "simulated" surround headsets.

the Tiamat was ok, but compared to the Kave it sounded weak unless you put the volume on max. even then you could always tell the difference. G35 is meh.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

had the tiamat, G35 and some others. the best one was the Roccat Kave. i recommend it above the rest. it's much better than those USB "simulated" surround headsets.

the Tiamat was ok, but compared to the Kave it sounded weak unless you put the volume on max. even then you could always tell the difference. G35 is meh.

Thanks for the advice I totally forgot about the Roccat... what did you mean by simulated?

The Tiamat look badass, which was the inital draw... Same with the Astro's...

I often wonder how much of the issues are with the headset vs. the soundcard they are connected to, any validity to this?

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

I probably don't have the advice you're looking for but here's my opinion. I'm kind of an audiophile, I love my music and I like it to sound good (as well as sounds in-game). I have a soundcard (same one as you I think, although mine says Fatal1ty Series) and I always prefer good over-the-ear headphones paired with a mic. Most gaming headsets have pretty terrible sound quality. Specially the ones that try to imitate 7.1 or 5.1 surround sound. Those headsets use several small, usually crappy quality, speakers placed in the headset to give the impression of surround. I use quality studio headphones and use the software that comes with my sound card to enable 3D sound. To me, software surround sounds better in headsets. Right now I'm using the Sennheiser 280 Pro headset with a mic that clips on my shirt. Mics that stand on the desk work too. Since you already have a sound card, I highly recommend a setup like this. A good pair of studio headphones like Sennheiser will give you a much better experience than any gaming headset. Right now on Newegg you can get the Sennheiser 280 Pro for $99 which is an absolute steal. I bought mine when it was closer to $200 and the headset still works perfectly. Mics that stand on the desk or clip to your shirt are usually pretty cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106328

You won't find a gaming headset, even ones in the $200 range, that can match the sensitivity and frequency response of the 280 Pro (or any Sennheiser heaphones). The highs and lows are amazing and if you want more bass you can just turn it up using your Creative Console.

EDIT: you can plug in the 280 Pro directly to your sound card

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

I use the Sennheiser PC 350's and I would never go back.

The pair that I owned before the PC 350's was a G35 and I returned them for a full refund after owning them for only a week.  The sound quality was terrible, the wireless kept cutting out during fleet ops in EVE and the plastic wishbones holding the cans to the headband flexed so much that I instinctively knew they would break long before I wanted to buy a new pair of headphones.

I also own a pair of Sennheiser PXC 350's with active noise canceling that I use just for listening to music and they are the best I've ever owned.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    ^ That's some dam nice hardware. It's too bad they discontinued the PC 350s. I bought my 280 Pro set, which is also a noise cancelling set, back when they first came out. I'm looking to upgrade soon, definitely sticking with Sennheiser. I might have to try those PXC 350s, they look nice. Noise cancelling is definitely the way to go. You can't hear anything except what's coming from the headphones. 
  • Miztress1Miztress1 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I also recommend Sennheisers hand over fist. The 333D's are decent but really any of the higher models of Sennys will do. The sound quality is very evident when placed beside any of the ones you have listed and the build quality are very good for headphones. Usually, headphones have a short life span but the Sennheisers seem to last a lot longer.  The way the wires enter the ear cups for instance are very well done so you don't generally get the "I can only hear through one ear now" thing that happens with headsets. You get what you pay for though and Sennys are not cheap.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by AvsRock21
    ^ That's some dam nice hardware. It's too bad they discontinued the PC 350s. I bought my 280 Pro set, which is also a noise cancelling set, back when they first came out. I'm looking to upgrade soon, definitely sticking with Sennheiser. I might have to try those PXC 350s, they look nice. Noise cancelling is definitely the way to go. You can't hear anything except what's coming from the headphones. 

Whoa, I just bought my PC350's about 4 months ago and they were only 150 bucks.  I had no clue they had been discontinued.  Now Amazon lists them for 250!

The only ones I see that are comparable now are the PC 360's, but I wouldn't use that pair because they are open air cans... meaning that everyone in the room with you can hear what you're hearing.

I would still recommend them at 250... but I can see where people would balk at the price.

• Wighty1Wighty1 Member UncommonPosts: 1

Well for some odd reason my account was banned so I was not able to respond under my normal username.

I have to say those Sennheiser headsets are very nice! I am surprised there isn't more information about them!

The build quality seems very well constructed. I see the PC 350 SE are discontinued but still somewhat available through Amazon. Are the PC363D's the replacement? I am not sure what that "lemon zester" looking thing it comes with does exactly but the headset looks good as well...

Someone above mentioned "open Air design" and that others in the room can hear what you are listening to? I thought that was just more or less for ventilation... Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks again!

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
     The G35 is a nice mid-grade headset, it performs wonderfully for it's price. If you want true 5.1 then you'll want an A40, Pc350, Triton Pro , or the Roccat Kave. I've heard wonderful things about he a40 and pc350/360 ;  I actually will be purchasing one of those my next go around. I currently use the Roccat Kave and while it's an absolutely wonderful headset it's huge glaring issue is the lack of proper support on the head brace. When you wear the headsets for multiple hours a day you need to be sure it offers either the support you need, or is lightweight enough not to notice. The Kave has horrid support more so apparently the shape of my head isn't supported. I actually sent a letter to the company and they stated that they've run into the issue with a smaller margin of customers. If I could go back and do it over .. I'd go with the A40 or PC360.
  • pacovpacov Member Posts: 311
    I've had Steelseries SIberia V2 (Red) and it has been the comfiest headset I ever owned. You should check it out :D

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

I have to say thanks again for all the great feedback!

I have narrowed things down to the Sennheiser, it's now just a matter of going with the PC350 SE which is still avalable and I can get right away... Or go with the PC363D which seems like it may not be released yet as most sights show it as not in stock or in 2-4 weeks.

Any last thoughts?

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Wighty
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

Thanks for the advice I totally forgot about the Roccat... what did you mean by simulated?

The Tiamat look badass, which was the inital draw... Same with the Astro's...

I often wonder how much of the issues are with the headset vs. the soundcard they are connected to, any validity to this?

by simulated imean these are USB heasets with one speaker in each cup while the Kave has the individual audio input connections and has 5 speakers.

i've had the PC360, disregard it. the Kave and Tiamat are the best headsets mentioned in here.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    USB headsets also don't make use of your sound card, they do their own processing which is usually inferior.
  • patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155
    Originally posted by pacov
    I've had Steelseries SIberia V2 (Red) and it has been the comfiest headset I ever owned. You should check it out :D

I've had Steelseries SIberia V2 black and I am also very satisfied. I can also say its a very comfortable headset, and yeah check it out. And do not make the misstake I did when I bought the G35 usb headset, sure its wireless but sound is buggy sometimes and the usb thing is anoying. And also not the same quality as the Steelseries V2.

• brycegritbrycegrit Member Posts: 77
    Steel Series Syberia V2, very cheap 70 bucks used? and the quality is fantastic! i use them so thats why im saying and i do have a pair of astro a40s