Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Making AvA Thrive

1235»

Comments

• moomoo1234moomoo1234 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Disregard my comment, apparently the column's been edited. :P
  • wolfhoundswolfhounds Member Posts: 14

DAoC had Great PvE dungeons.  DAoC was one of the last MMOs without instanced dungeons, with camping spots within a dungeon...actual dungeon crawls, and trains when a pull went bad.  

People who think DAoC PvE was lacking didn't play DAoC.

• wolfhoundswolfhounds Member Posts: 14

DAoC had Great PvE dungeons.  DAoC was one of the last MMOs without instanced dungeons, with camping spots within a dungeon...actual dungeon crawls, and trains when a pull went bad.  

People who think DAoC PvE was lacking didn't play DAoC.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

All the things the article lists are good points, but really, if recent releases *cough* TOR *cough* GW2 *cough* have shown anything it's that getting the technical basics and mechanics right, while not as shiny and flashy, are really much more important than anything listed.

Show us ESO got these right:

1) No culling. Show us a 30vs 30 battle from the point when you start to see the opposition to when the sword meets the shield. I don't expect to see them from a mile away, but at least from far away enough to react to their presence before they are on top of me. Obviously, this also shouldn't cause FPS to drop to 0.5 either.

2) Next to no skill lag, or lag period. Throw your best designers and programmers at the network code from the start. Don't test your code in a 5v5 over your office 10Gbps LAN and call it good.

3) Faction balance. Everyone loves Star Wars' Empire vs Rebel Alliance conflict. But for some reason, many, many more people played the imperial faction than the rebel one. That population imbalance in turn caused massive problems in PvP, the arenas (in early TOR it was Huttball, all day, every day) and open PvP (spawn camping 24/7 like you're working on a scout merit badge or something). GW2 suffers from this in their 24/7 WvW setup, where some servers do not have players on 24/7 and get rolled in their off hours by servers that do.

Address this early in your design and in player expectations. If you have to make tough choices to achieve population balance, make those calls and let the players know early, rather than hope that "people will do the right thing" and see your WvW implode TOR-like, or hamstrung like GW2.

• LateofLateof Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Rorrin
    Seems like PvP is one of the last things the Elder Scrolls crowd will be looking for when flocking to an Elder Scrolls game.

I think for many TES gamers PvP will be the most exciting aspect of ESO. Why? Because the TES series are single player games, and people like me (I'm sure I am not alone) while slaughtering the - let's admit it, quite stupid - Radiant AI, were dreaming of battling player controlled enemies. Sure I am thrilled by the thought of slaughtering a hopefully brighter enemy AI and tactics in PvE, but even a TES gamer can love a good PvP.

I agree with the rest of your post ^^

Oh, and sorry, good article.
    I like the maze idea, and I am hoping for some kind of PvP raid, where you have to race against the other teams completing PvE objectives, hindering the enemy team's progression, etc.
    I would also welcome sabotage objectives when sieging a keep, weakening guards and resources, thus making easier to capture the keep.
  • LateofLateof Member Posts: 2

Oh, and sorry, good article.

I like the maze idea, and I am hoping for some kind of PvP raid, where you have to race against the other teams completing PvE objectives, hindering the enemy team's progression, etc.
    I would also welcome sabotage objectives when sieging a keep, weakening guards and resources, thus making easier to capture the keep.
  • sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Lateof
    Originally posted by Rorrin
    Seems like PvP is one of the last things the Elder Scrolls crowd will be looking for when flocking to an Elder Scrolls game.

... but even a TES gamer can love a good PvP.

That doesn't mean that a large majority of TES gamers are going to like RvR.  I don't mind if they had 3 groups fighting but they automatically recruit EVERYONE to their war.  There are NO other PvP options - only RvR

Zenimax put all their resources in creating a RvR-centric game using Matt Firor's name to invoke the DAoC Legend.  There was little to none creativity on their part in translating the spirit of TES into a MMO.  A TES spin-off that took 7 years and millions of dollors to create.