Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kickstarter - the more CU is like DAoC the more I'll pledge.

CananCanan Member UncommonPosts: 95

If you stay true to the heart of what made DAoC fantastic and just enhance areas that need improvement or tweaks I will pledge more. I feel that there are many people trying to mold CU into something completely different than the original and I just don't understand that at all.

That is all.

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Make it like DAOC where it matters:

• 3 realms (CHECK)
    • no mirrored classes (CHECK)
    • large number of classes (TBD)
    • unlimited progression (TBD)
    • give rewards to fighting players not fighting buildings/completing dailies (TBD)
    • powerful relics as the ultimate goal for realm competition (TBD)
    • specialized classes (healing, speed, etc.) instead of every class is a hybrid (CHECK)
    • support all playstyles including stealth, solo, duo, group, zerg (TBD)
    • fight the same enemies in a neverending conflict where you learn their names and guilds with no artificial resets when one side "wins" (CHECK)
    Beyond that feel free to innovate or do things differently.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by meddyck

• 3 realms (CHECK)
    • give rewards to fighting players not fighting buildings/completing dailies (TBD)
    • specialized classes (healing, speed, etc.) instead of every class is a hybrid (CHECK)
    • fight the same enemies in a neverending conflict where you learn their names and guilds with no artificial resets when one side "wins" (CHECK)

That's great I would also add:

• make realm lose some kind of bonuses / resources when they lose keeps so it makes people want to actually defend (TBD)
    • make stuns a bit shorter (TBD)
    • do not change combat interruption in order to prevent fights from being mindless (could be a bit improved, for example aoe root should root not interrupt standing characters) (CHECK)
    • have a zone like darkness falls (CHECK)
    • guild embles on shields / cloacks with a hood option (CHECK)
    • realm levels that are shown above characters (CHECK)
    • good herald website with statistics of all players, where you can compare with other players (CHECK)
    • no lame races like minotaurs (HALF CHECK)
    • death spam on the chat with the location it happened (CHECK)
    • no warbands that can be automatically joined and left without saying "goodbye" that kills any interaction with players. (CHECK)
    • no casting bar. good animation that let you feel like you are casting, so you don't need a cast bar that says how long is the cast going to take (CHECK)
    • realm pride (CHECK)
    • no instant battle ground action that kills any intercation and kills the fun of unpredictable fights (CHECK)
    • realm rank (whatever it will be named) progression that will give you points that you can spend on abilities (CHECK)
    • Positional/reactive combos (CHECK)
    • Archers (if implemented) with normal arrows/ quiver where you can draw bow and then decide if shot or not to shot. (USED TO BE CHECKED)
    • Two target system (ally and enemy) - borrowed from WAR (it's thing to discuss) (TBD)
    • No stupid circle around targetted target (CHECKED)
    • Terrain unique to each realm (CHECKED)
    • Dance / rude emotes to make people angry - because of that (one of the reason) you start to know enemies and want to kill them badly  (CHECKED)
    • no zoning maps like in WAR where because of it people could on purpose avoid other zergs. One connected big zone divided on many zones(CHECKED)
    • better graphic (TBD)

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by morfidon

• 3 realms (CHECK)

That's great I would also add:

• make realm lose some kind of bonuses / resources when they lose keeps so it makes people want to actually defend (TBD)
    • make stuns a bit shorter (TBD)
    • do not change combat interruption in order to prevent fights from being mindless (could be a bit improved, for example aoe root should root not interrupt standing characters) (CHECK)
    • have a zone like darkness falls (CHECK)
    • guild embles on shields / cloacks with a hood option (CHECK)
    • realm levels that are shown above characters (CHECK)
    • good herald website with statistics of all players, where you can compare with other players (CHECK)
    • no lame races like minotaurs (HALF CHECK)
    • death spam on the chat with the location it happened (CHECK)
    • no warbands that can be automatically joined and left without saying "goodbye" that kills any interaction with players. (CHECK)
    • no casting bar. good animation that let you feel like you are casting, so you don't need a cast bar that says how long is the cast going to take (CHECK)
    • realm pride (CHECK)
    • no instant battle ground action that kills any intercation and kills the fun of unpredictable fights (CHECK)
    • realm rank (whatever it will be named) progression that will give you points that you can spend on abilities (CHECK)

DF should be (TBD)

What's the problem with BGs? DAoC BGs were AWESOME! We want it to be more like DAoC after all...

I'll add some more:

- no collision detection (TBD)

- no pulls/knockbacks/leaps (TBD)

- persistent battlegrounds for new players [PvP tutorial] (TBD)

- you never lose realm points (TBD)

I hope we get some answers on all the TBDs before the kickstarter.

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

I really like the points the op listed.  I never played DAoC but tha post makes me feel like I missed something.

Sounds like the recipe for an awesome pvp game. 

• ZakatakZakatak Member Posts: 17
    It was epic my friend.  Open RvR is so much better than queuing battlegrounds. 

Bige - Bors.
    Bigge, Zmallz, Reiggn, Faty)

(Everquest(99-02), Lineage(01-02), DAoC(02-09), WoW(07), WAR(10-11), Rift(11)
    Nothing Current.

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245

"What's the problem with BGs? DAoC BGs were AWESOME! We want it to be more like DAoC after all..."

DAOC BG's were kinda good. I said instant Bg's like WAR/ GW 2 etc. where you get matched with other people and then you fight 10-15 minutes and after it your team won, or the other team won. This is cool but only for a few days. It's really bad for the game after some time.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

"What's the problem with BGs? DAoC BGs were AWESOME! We want it to be more like DAoC after all..."

DAOC BG's were kinda good. I said instant Bg's like WAR/ GW 2 etc. where you get matched with other people and then you fight 10-15 minutes and after it your team won, or the other team won. This is cool but only for a few days. It's really bad for the game after some time.

Agreed that DAOC type BGs are good, and that the "wait in queue, get teleported into arena with 5 random realm mates where you fight in a small area against exactly 2 other teams consiting of 5 other players each" or whatever is very bad and stupid. Terrible pvp, terrible design. What was good about the BGs in DAOC was that you started in a keep, made your own groups, and headed out into the zone to find your own fights or assault the keep. What was waiting for you? Could be all kinds of shit. It wasn't some pre determind 5v5v5 crap so that the winning team can buy pvp gear faster with the tokens for winning the match.

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

BGs in DAoC was better than full PvP in other games, the "rythm" or speed of battles was simply perfect, not too slow, not too fast, almost felt like tabletop RPGs, plus the randomness of the damages inflicted you'd simply go "woot ! X amount of damage this time ! "

and good points there on initial post, VERY good points as to what made DAoC the best.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• drakon3drakon3 Member Posts: 114
    I will be the first to admit that I had the most fun in Thid and Molvik.  Even more so than OF/NF.  The action was quicker than frontiers and I felt the classes (overall) were better balanced at 24 and 39 than at 50.  Yes there were still some imbalances, but I think less than at 50.  Especially after they fixed the R2L4 in Thid exploit (that one BD video shows this quite well).
  • fierce750fierce750 Member Posts: 37

• 3 realms (CHECK)

Well my biggest problem with it is.

Yesterday I posted on the official forums and was quite sad when one of the DEVS came on and said there would be no PVE.

No PVE??  I loved DAOC for the RVR/PVP but I also had MANY fun nights doing PVE with groups of people fighting the AI.

I just dont understand how they could ignore half the player base and make it PVP and Crafting only..

If they don't change it I doubt my Wife and I will be playing it..

Someone for the love of GOD make a TRUE DAOC 2!!

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by fierce750

• 3 realms (CHECK)

Yesterday I posted on the official forums and was quite sad when one of the DEVS came on and said there would be no PVE.

No PVE??  I loved DAOC for the RVR/PVP but I also had MANY fun nights doing PVE with groups of people fighting the AI.

I just dont understand how they could ignore half the player base and make it PVP and Crafting only..

That should say .. "No PvE Leveling"

• WolvanWolvan Member Posts: 49

And their are no "official" forums at this time.

I like alot of the list from the first couple of posts. 

The battlegrounds I'm sorta torn on.  BG's in most games I don't care for that much.  But Thid/Cale I had a ton of fun with in DAOC.  I even had speciality characters with xp turned off for the 2 bg's in DAOC.  Was fun for doing something different, or hanging out with friends, trying new stuff etc.

A cave spec shaman with the ability for his DOTS to crit in cale..single handely defended keep vs 20+ attacks...stacking AOE crit dots ftw.

All hunter group in Thid...simul attacking from stealth killing people.  8 man groups running in the BG's where quite fun.  And no stress.

Originally posted by Wolvan

And their are no "official" forums at this time.

I like alot of the list from the first couple of posts. 

The battlegrounds I'm sorta torn on.  BG's in most games I don't care for that much.  But Thid/Cale I had a ton of fun with in DAOC.  I even had speciality characters with xp turned off for the 2 bg's in DAOC.  Was fun for doing something different, or hanging out with friends, trying new stuff etc.

A cave spec shaman with the ability for his DOTS to crit in cale..single handely defended keep vs 20+ attacks...stacking AOE crit dots ftw.

All hunter group in Thid...simul attacking from stealth killing people.  8 man groups running in the BG's where quite fun.  And no stress.

I forgot all about Cale

• CananCanan Member UncommonPosts: 95

• 3 realms (CHECK)

I am also weary of the "limited PvE." We will just have to wait and see what they come up with before freaking out, though. If they put in just a small amount of PvE that is very challenging and rewarding I believe that could be enough to satisfy most. Afterall, some of my fondest memories from DAoC were going with my realm to slay Cuuldurach the Glimmer King (Hibernia's dragon).

Also, I think they should seriously consider implementing a Darkness Falls type of zone/dungeon in CU as it was one of the most innovative things within DAoC. How tragic would it be if such a wonderful idea was laid to waste?

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

• 3 realms (CHECK)

There will be NPc monsters and guards, they just don't drop money/gear , and there's no pve character progression. All of,that comes from rvr activities.

im curious to see how they implement that, but that's what they've said.

so there absolutely will be non players to fight and kill, but for some rvr/crafting / housing motivation rather than player progression.

in my mind that pretty much guarantees a darkness falls style dungeon. I just wonder how they'll motivate people to go there besides killing other players. Fighting over some valuable resource I'm sure, but what

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by drakon3
    I will be the first to admit that I had the most fun in Thid and Molvik.  Even more so than OF/NF.  The action was quicker than frontiers and I felt the classes (overall) were better balanced at 24 and 39 than at 50.  Yes there were still some imbalances, but I think less than at 50.  Especially after they fixed the R2L4 in Thid exploit (that one BD video shows this quite well).

Since you brought up BD's.. 

Please for the love of god don't allow pets to go through keep doors/walls. 

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    How are they approaching 'buffbots'?

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Man, Thid was magical. I had so many alts with xp turned off in thid.... It was so quick and easy to try out a new alt in RvR, and the map was FUN!

If it was late and no one I knew was on, I would go solo in thid and have a blast. So often there would be just a few others and we would group up and go camp keeps/roam. So many times we've only had a few ppl and decided "fuck it. Let's take CK." Good times.
  • Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397
    Anyone remember playing before you could turn off exp?
    Having to suicide over and over to drop you exp before you leveled out?
    Ah the good 'ol days

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    By the way uthgard has a great BGs and especially thidranki. If their 50 RvR was even half as fun as their thid I would still play...
  • BrohimeBrohime Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Niix_Ozek
    Anyone remember playing before you could turn off exp?
    Having to suicide over and over to drop you exp before you leveled out?
    Ah the good 'ol days

YESSS!!!!! Completely forgot about that hahahahahaha

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Hahaha yeah Niix. It was awesome when someone DID accidentally level and became the prime target of every enemy player. When it happened to me I got so paranoid lol.
  • CluckingChickenCluckingChicken Member Posts: 54
    This is really getting out of hand. Why would he spend millions of his own money making a DAoC clone? From the get-go he has clearly stated that it WON'T be like DAoC. He's not going to cater to all 100-200 of you guys who want to have outdated mechanics. Old school style =/= shitty mechanics built around dial-up internet. Its only going to be old school where it matters.
  • CananCanan Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by CluckingChicken
    This is really getting out of hand. Why would he spend millions of his own money making a DAoC clone? From the get-go he has clearly stated that it WON'T be like DAoC. He's not going to cater to all 100-200 of you guys who want to have outdated mechanics. Old school style =/= shitty mechanics built around dial-up internet. Its only going to be old school where it matters.

When did he say it won't be like DAoC? I smell bullshit.

Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    By the way uthgard has a great BGs and especially thidranki. If their 50 RvR was even half as fun as their thid I would still play...

50 RvR is the most fun you could have in DoaC ..

Thid was just faster because the battle was practically on the other side of the gate.