Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Obviously kickstarter will be funded..CU has gone Viral

13»

Comments

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by Stromm

If I entirely removed PvP from WoW, EQ, EQ2, GW2 or Rift tomorrow I would still have a recognisable game, and in WoW's case at least still millions of subs.

If I entirely removed PvE from WoW, EQ, EQ2, GW2 or Rift tomorrow I would have ... a brundlefly ... an unrecognisable mess. I'd have no questing, minimal lore, no 5 mans, no 10 mans, no 25 mans, no LFR, no dailies, no rifts, no hearts, no events, no puzzles. The games would be unrecognisable.

That's kinda my point. PvP is secondary in those games. A tacked on afterthought used to fill in time, like daily quests and pet battles.

WoW devs frequently nerf/buff abilities due to PvP, I agree. Why? Because they were designed for PVE and do not work well in PvP. If pvp was impactful on their subscriber base they would work on getting PvP sorted properly, instead they seem to spend more effort on pet battles and daily quests, now why do you think that is? To my knowledge there have been very few "seasons" that have no been considered broken, with certain comps being viable and the rest not, with whole class specs left to wither, and in some cases whole classes left with no options to be competetive. It. Is. An. Afterthought.

Streamers have no relevance in this discussion, 99% of MMO players have probably never streamed, most have probably never even recorded a fraps. But since you bring up web interaction I would suggest far and away more web content originates from pve than ever will or does from pvp. MLG doesn't even include WoW 3v3 anymore does it?

Hehe yeah people have been doing those same BG's over and over for years, because they locust the pve content and still want to play the game and BG pvp is a readily available disposable source of no-brain content, or because they are completionists working on cheevos/mounts/reps waddeva.

Devs from Rift realized what happened when they ignored the PvP community they left in droves and servers were completely empty.  Then what did they try to do?  Cater to the MMO community by introducing 3 faction PvP which was just too late.

Someone asked Hartsmann:

• It doesn't seem like PvP is being "tacked on", it will be a focus.
    To which he replied:
    • True. The gentleman running the team wouldn't have it any other way. (If you saw last year's E3 videos -- Russ Brown. That's him. He's awesome.) PvP is built in from the ground up, not being added to a PvE game

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/mmorpg-general-discussion/38803-rift-planes-telara-heroes-telara-e3-09-a-12.html#post1687892

So it was not "secondary".  The whole design of GW2, WoW and Rift was designed with PvP in mind and not just secondary.  The whole world was in Rift and WoW was designed for two factions due to sides and the PvP conflict.  The earliest trailers had Orcs fighting Humans.  WoW wouldn't be the same with out it. Same with Rift, the whole lore and world design was based around 2 factions at war.

If it was an after thought the WoW devs could have just said screw it and let the PvErs stay happy and screw over the PvPers but they realize they would lose pretty much half their community.  Even the population in PvE vs. PvP servers is about 55 to 45 in favor of PvE.

GW2 is another example of this, the major part of the game is the WvW.  Servers were set up to support that whole system, they wouldn't even need servers if it weren't for WvW.  GW2 failed in every regard especially PvP but it doesn't mean they didn't design PvP to me a primary if not important part of the game

Streamers have major influence over the community.  Some of them get 100k unique viewers a day (just one person).  Sites like Twitch get millions of views a month.  Companies pay streamers to advertiser for them.  The most popular in most cases, are usually PvP players because others want to be like them.

When devs specially design the world around faction conflict and specially state it was not "tacted" on.  I will take their word.

About some classes being useless in PvP in WoW that is true, that is also the case in PvE where some classes are pretty much useless to take.

I am also a fan of both PvE and PvP.  But I don't see a mass market success of a PvE only game.  Tabulsa Rasa, FFXIV, Vanguard, Asheron's Call 2 were PvE only and didn't do well at all.  If a MMO is PvE only it will also be a niche game like PvP only MMOs.

• zephermarkuszephermarkus Member Posts: 201
    The thing about kickstarter is I haven't seen one of these kickstater games actually come out yet  or even have a lpha video or beta nothing and most have over reached their goals by so much that they could have these games done in 6 months max. Kickstater is a cash grab scam and i for one am glad I haven't backed anything.
  • tleartlear Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by shadevice

Another fact about pvp/pve combo games is that PVEers, that don't really like pvp, generally suck at it.

So they were easy prey and were farmed. So the semi skilled pvpers seem a lot better than they really are.

Now when you have a pvp only game, the competiton is much more straight forward, all players obviously like pvp or they wouldn't be playing it. Wether or not they are any good still remains but a bad pvper that only pvps will still beat a pver who is clueless.

Point being, in a PVP only game. much less FREE, EZ, Kills.

It's like sending a bread maker against a battle hardened gladiator...whos gonna win.

There is a lot fo truth to this unfortunately. I remember esecially with Alb for whatever reason you would get hordes of people who were truly clueless. You might really need bottom feeders, guys who level alts 24/7 and show up once in a few days to donate RPs. People who play RvR primarily but are just not that good then have someone to kill and keep playing. If you get schooled non-stop and never win many people tend to quit which then leads to a chain reaction

But then again PS had a lot of really horrible players and in that game all you did is kill each other till you got bored and startd greefing your own side

• shadeviceshadevice Member CommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by tlear
    Originally posted by shadevice

Another fact about pvp/pve combo games is that PVEers, that don't really like pvp, generally suck at it.

So they were easy prey and were farmed. So the semi skilled pvpers seem a lot better than they really are.

Now when you have a pvp only game, the competiton is much more straight forward, all players obviously like pvp or they wouldn't be playing it. Wether or not they are any good still remains but a bad pvper that only pvps will still beat a pver who is clueless.

Point being, in a PVP only game. much less FREE, EZ, Kills.

It's like sending a bread maker against a battle hardened gladiator...whos gonna win.

There is a lot fo truth to this unfortunately. I remember esecially with Alb for whatever reason you would get hordes of people who were truly clueless. You might really need bottom feeders, guys who level alts 24/7 and show up once in a few days to donate RPs. People who play RvR primarily but are just not that good then have someone to kill and keep playing. If you get schooled non-stop and never win many people tend to quit which then leads to a chain reaction

But then again PS had a lot of really horrible players and in that game all you did is kill each other till you got bored and startd greefing your own side

PS is an entire different animal. I play PS 2 very casually right now as a heavy assault...there is skill involved and you can tell the difference. But PS style pvp is sooo different than fantasy rvr, daoc style etc...

I doubt there will be instant action deployments, massive air and vehicle assaults dropping bombs on your head while you're having your own personal battles.

PS is great for the instant gratification style pvp fix, start the game, pvp instantly rinse repeat. Death has little consequence which means lower levels of care/skill/tactical play. 

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass

If I entirely removed PvP from WoW, EQ, EQ2, GW2 or Rift tomorrow I would still have a recognisable game, and in WoW's case at least still millions of subs.

If I entirely removed PvE from WoW, EQ, EQ2, GW2 or Rift tomorrow I would have ... a brundlefly ... an unrecognisable mess. I'd have no questing, minimal lore, no 5 mans, no 10 mans, no 25 mans, no LFR, no dailies, no rifts, no hearts, no events, no puzzles. The games would be unrecognisable.

That's kinda my point. PvP is secondary in those games. A tacked on afterthought used to fill in time, like daily quests and pet battles.

WoW devs frequently nerf/buff abilities due to PvP, I agree. Why? Because they were designed for PVE and do not work well in PvP. If pvp was impactful on their subscriber base they would work on getting PvP sorted properly, instead they seem to spend more effort on pet battles and daily quests, now why do you think that is? To my knowledge there have been very few "seasons" that have no been considered broken, with certain comps being viable and the rest not, with whole class specs left to wither, and in some cases whole classes left with no options to be competetive. It. Is. An. Afterthought.

Streamers have no relevance in this discussion, 99% of MMO players have probably never streamed, most have probably never even recorded a fraps. But since you bring up web interaction I would suggest far and away more web content originates from pve than ever will or does from pvp. MLG doesn't even include WoW 3v3 anymore does it?

Hehe yeah people have been doing those same BG's over and over for years, because they locust the pve content and still want to play the game and BG pvp is a readily available disposable source of no-brain content, or because they are completionists working on cheevos/mounts/reps waddeva.

Devs from Rift realized what happened when they ignored the PvP community they left in droves and servers were completely empty.  Then what did they try to do?  Cater to the MMO community by introducing 3 faction PvP which was just too late.

Someone asked Hartsmann:

• It doesn't seem like PvP is being "tacked on", it will be a focus.
    To which he replied:
    • True. The gentleman running the team wouldn't have it any other way. (If you saw last year's E3 videos -- Russ Brown. That's him. He's awesome.) PvP is built in from the ground up, not being added to a PvE game

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/mmorpg-general-discussion/38803-rift-planes-telara-heroes-telara-e3-09-a-12.html#post1687892

When devs specially design the world around faction conflict and specially state it was not "tacted" on.  I will take their word.

Rift was never a pvp game. On the PvP servers the things that the devs said would be points of conflict never really were. Open world pvp never really materialized. WF's always trumped open world pvp in terms of fun and rewards. There simply was no real reason to do any open world pvp. Now RIFT has pretty much completely abandoned any new pvp aside from the random WF ruleset. The devs can say that their game is focused on pvp or rvr till they are blue in the face, but in the end if they don't deliver than guess what, the devs lied. In Rifts case I don't care what any dev said, the game was and is a PvE game with PvP as an afterthought tacked on. 

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Viral for kickstarter is Wasteland 2, DFA, Shadowrun and Torment.

Kind of a high standard to reach.  In the end, I hope it has the same kind of success.

Does anyone know what CU's initial funding goals will be? 

Stretch goals?

• ZakatakZakatak Member Posts: 17
    I believe there was an announcement made by Mark Jacobs somewhere but I don't want to quote the wrong numbers.  If you look through the announcement of the Kickstarter from him you should find it..

Bige - Bors.
    Bigge, Zmallz, Reiggn, Faty)

(Everquest(99-02), Lineage(01-02), DAoC(02-09), WoW(07), WAR(10-11), Rift(11)
    Nothing Current.

Originally posted by Maephisto

Viral for kickstarter is Wasteland 2, DFA, Shadowrun and Torment.

Kind of a high standard to reach.  In the end, I hope it has the same kind of success.

Does anyone know what CU's initial funding goals will be? 

Stretch goals?

2 million.

• zekuelzekuel Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Everyone assumes that there will now pve at all in this game, no quests,no bosses. Hmm and as that doesn't appeal to a lot of people I would say that there will be all of this. You will not have realm points because you level doing all of these things in a PvP environment. Im sure there will be kill quests(players/guards) but also I would be dumb to think that a game is built without thousonds of quests. Example (just making this up) destroy bridge, save captured princess from keep, dam up water supply, stop supply routes, and on and on. I'm sure many quest while not pve base as far as mobs will have pve mobs and bosses. I actually like the thinking of this idea because in most games you grind to the max level grind for the best gear only to come to the end game and that is(for me at least) going out and showing oof how much of a bad @$$ I am, and pawning others. That is why even Daoc still has followers. Infact alot of people left when ToA came out. Sometimes to much expansion and grinding and change detours players who have already put alot of time into the grind of the game. ToA a mistake I think even Mythic realized. They later made leveling up getting scrolls and artifacts easier. The idea that the game will be base around longevity(pvp) and not PvE content which can not be created as fast or sustained over time is awesome. I invision a solid PvP fondation with PvE elements in it and maybe with enough funding and time some PvE put in on the side like most games do with PvP. But as we read no realm points because there is no need for them because the PvP world and other players will be primarily how you level. At least this is what I get out of what I read.
  • morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245

"You raise LoL, WoT and PS2. We're not talking MOBAs or MMOFPS here, but since you do, lets discuss. LOL is the most played PC game in the world. DOTA2 just recently beat Skyrim for the most concurrent players in Steam and is rising, and you have a swag of MOBA/wannabeMOBAs out there *cough* SMITE *cough* AND you have D3 introducing PvP and Path of Exile with PvP and Marvel Heroes coming. So you tell me why those millions of players currently playing F2P, B2P would want to play subbed CU when they already have a gluttons banquet of PvP titles crying out for their attention? I would suggest that PvE content would be the missing enticement, don't you think?"

Why? Because PvP in this game is nothing. What the hell Path of Exile and Diablo 3 as an example of PvP?

In CU you will have RvR, you will have enormous battles, you will have realm pride. Not a fast instant action (smite) etc. That's why people will want to pay for it.

There is one problem. 2 milon might be a bit too much Mark is asking for. If it was 1 milion then it would be easy.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by morfidon

There is one problem. 2 milon might be a bit too much Mark is asking for. If it was 1 milion then it would be easy.

Yeah that's pretty much my read on it. I will be (pleasantly) surprised if the goal is met.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243

"You raise LoL, WoT and PS2. We're not talking MOBAs or MMOFPS here, but since you do, lets discuss. LOL is the most played PC game in the world. DOTA2 just recently beat Skyrim for the most concurrent players in Steam and is rising, and you have a swag of MOBA/wannabeMOBAs out there *cough* SMITE *cough* AND you have D3 introducing PvP and Path of Exile with PvP and Marvel Heroes coming. So you tell me why those millions of players currently playing F2P, B2P would want to play subbed CU when they already have a gluttons banquet of PvP titles crying out for their attention? I would suggest that PvE content would be the missing enticement, don't you think?"

Why? Because PvP in this game is nothing. What the hell Path of Exile and Diablo 3 as an example of PvP?

In CU you will have RvR, you will have enormous battles, you will have realm pride. Not a fast instant action (smite) etc. That's why people will want to pay for it.

I wasn't the one who started to bring in other genres, I just pursued the discussion when it meandered. For the record D3, PoE, LoL and DotA2 are all regularly discussed on this site afaik.

Good point, persistent world is potentially an MMORPG advantage over the other genres, but only If the results of PvP confilct are in fact persistent and impactful. I don't buy realm pride. GW2 taught me that, todays MMO players would rather change servers to the winning side, there is no realm pride. Class pride is a strange concept especially when he announced his desire for asymmetrical class design, which means different "tanks" will play and integrate with the team differently, so not comparable, by design.

I dunno if 1 mill is any more likely than 2 mill personally *shrug* only time will tell. CSE has no prototype, no gameplay vids, no concrete game mechanics to announce, it's all very high level undefined spitballing right now. In fact it seems the DAoC vets are projecting their desire to relive DAoC onto this project (regardless of what MJ says) and have started predicting and assuming certain factors about the game that MJ has never confirmed.

In any case as I originally posted, I want to see the KS get started. I want to see the result. I would like a solid experiemental result to finally show whether PvPers are a significant factor or not. My personal belief is that PvP cannot support a development like this one, even one with modest subscriber goals like CU, and so far the consensus seems to be that only the combo of PvE and PvP is successful. The only real debates have been whether PvP is a secondary part of successful MMO's and whether PvP on its own is strong enough to support an entire MMORPG.

Mark if you are reading this you could make stages:

1 $ milion 

1,2 $ milion 

1,5$ milion

but let the game being created after 1$ milion but it would miss some of the features. Many game companies do something like this and it works really good.

Good point, persistent world is potentially an MMORPG advantage over the other genres, but only If the results of PvP confilct are in fact persistent and impactful. I don't buy realm pride. GW2 taught me that, todays MMO players would rather change servers to the winning side, there is no realm pride. Class pride is a strange concept especially when he announced his desire for asymmetrical class design, which means different "tanks" will play and integrate with the team differently, so not comparable, by design.

GW 2 and realm pride? How can you do realm pride by creating a game where you have world vs world vs world where your enemies are changing. Where you don't see realm ranks above other people. When everyone looks the same from enemy nation. Where there is no distinction between enemy races and your allies. When there is instant BG action.

Todays MMO did all things wrong, so you can't believe in something like realm pride. 

Have you ever played DAOC at the beginning? When there was relic under siege people were suiciding in very far far away zone Lyonesse to defend the relic. They lost experience that was worth about 1 hour of leveling to just defend the keep. 

Maybe CU will be different if Mark will do it the right way. Not for "everyone". Not for just "cash". We will see...

The only real debates have been whether PvP is a secondary part of successful MMO's and whether PvP on its own is strong enough to support an entire MMORPG.

It can but it won't be mass market.  Just like a PvE only MMO can survive on its own but won't be mass market.  But this game doesn't strive to be mass market.  It wants to hit a niche target.

About GW2 and "faction pride" it is totally different when are fighting over colors or server names.  All races were the same, all classes were the same, the lore was the same.  It just had no meaning.  Even in WoW players take a lot of pride in their faction, you see nerd rage by Alliance on the forums crying over the faction devs don't give them love.  And it gets pretty serious.

• zekuelzekuel Member UncommonPosts: 39
    one of the worst things with GW2 and even Rift is the class balance and not uniqueness to the realms and classes. you might as well all be the same realm(wait didn't rift do something like that). I don't think old Daoc players want this balnce. This does give you a since of pride in your class and realm. Being able to tank like no other palidin in your realm taking down hib and mid. Being a sorc and getting a good timed mezz off while taking down and kiting and taking down an 8 man solo(well with a buff bot) knowing not many other sorc in your realm could do that and the other realm couldn't either they don't have same class. going to the bords and seeing that you have most rps for day/week/month checking out some video of a sic sorc killing an 8 man and saying hey thats me. I think that gives you some personal pride. pride in realm in class and in your hard work to your characters build. 30+ abilities to choose from too. I like all my guns to come to the party.

GW 2 and realm pride? How can you do realm pride by creating a game where you have world vs world vs world where your enemies are changing. Where you don't see realm ranks above other people. When everyone looks the same from enemy nation. Where there is no distinction between enemy races and your allies. When there is instant BG action.

Todays MMO did all things wrong, so you can't believe in something like realm pride. 

Have you ever played DAOC at the beginning? When there was relic under siege people were suiciding in very far far away zone Lyonesse to defend the relic. They lost experience that was worth about 1 hour of leveling to just defend the keep. 

Maybe CU will be different if Mark will do it the right way. Not for "everyone". Not for just "cash". We will see...

I played DAoC for about 3 months. Some EQ friends and I got sick of EQ at the end of ToV and move do Albion, we rolled Armsman, Friar, Merc and I played Smite Cleric. Some other friends rolled on Hibs and Mid. We're all aussies. Lag was horrible. Large scale fights were a slideshow. Class balance was terribad. I recall skilling up smithing and something else, and we'd wander contested areas looking for fights or roll with the zerg looking for keep action.

It was a very frustrating experience, when I say slideshow I mean slideshow. The DAoC engine at the start just could not handle the player numbers.

PvE was very boring, most dungeons were cut and paste geometry from a standard dungeon layout cookie-cutter. Quests were fun and enjoyable (for the time) up until about level 25 when it seemed that the devs just ran out of time and the quests stopped and you just ground out XP killing mobs. My bro played Merc, couldn't get to grips with positional attacks and horrible lag. Mate played a Friar and felt squishie. Armsman friend just felt useless in RvR.

They left, I followed.

So yep I did play DAoC, but not for very long. I can only assume it got a lot better, but it was awful at release.

Originally posted by SoMuchMass
    The only real debates have been whether PvP is a secondary part of successful MMO's and whether PvP on its own is strong enough to support an entire MMORPG.

It can but it won't be mass market.  Just like a PvE only MMO can survive on its own but won't be mass market.  But this game doesn't strive to be mass market.  It wants to hit a niche target.

About GW2 and "faction pride" it is totally different when are fighting over colors or server names.  All races were the same, all classes were the same, the lore was the same.  It just had no meaning.  Even in WoW players take a lot of pride in their faction, you see nerd rage by Alliance on the forums crying over the faction devs don't give them love.  And it gets pretty serious.

Hehe yeah I saw Alliance getting all sulky about the MoP pre-events, Theramore or some rubbish like that. :-)