Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EU/US servers?

morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245

IMHO opinion servers shouldn't be seperated. Server with people from all over the world would create action for the whole day.

What do you think?

EDIT: oh and seperated region on EU/US would create problems on kickstarter, which version of game would we get there?

Comments

• HairyzacHairyzac Member Posts: 57
    In theory this sounds great.  But I doubt it is worth trying to implement technically speaking.  You would also have people speaking multiple languages and communication would become an issue.
  • BracheerBracheer Member Posts: 6

Server connection would slow down players on the other side of the world. Daoc had a combined lang server like Camlann, that worked but not cross continent.

+The hour diffrence, keep raids while asleep wont be fun :)

• Lore84Lore84 Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Bracheer

Server connection would slow down players on the other side of the world. Daoc had a combined lang server like Camlann, that worked but not cross continent.

+The hour diffrence, keep raids while asleep wont be fun :)

Well, that's not an issue...people used to run alarm clock raids in DAOC anyway.

Ex-DAOC, Excalibur

• DocaresDocares Member Posts: 9

I dont think they can stop it.

People want to play with their friends even if they life on the other side of the world.

I (living in the netherlands- europe) played DAOC on a USA server(Tristan) because friends also played on that server.

I never had lag and group fights were always good. And that was years ago when internet was still bad.. 2 seconds graphic lag isnt unplayable if it isnt a FPS

Also another problem is players have changed. They dont have guild/server pride anymore.. and most will just join the winning team. And for a wvw game this usualy means best 24/7 coverage (HOPE NOT!!!) But realms will recruit for people for off hours. And the top realms will be very crowded even in off hours.

Language difference shouldnt be a problem since EU had tons of different language players on UK servers all the time. Instead of special servers for different languages they better could make better chat channels you can join .. so a channel where you can speak english only, a channel for german , a channel for polish, etc...

Hope they have thought of good systems that deals with problems like:

-off hours/night capping (being outmanned all the time at same hours every day)

-server hopping players changing servers to servers with a winning realm . Making outmanned realms even more outmanned.

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287

I live in the UK.

I played DAoC on the US servers from launch and for 6 odd years. I never had any connection based issued.

There were many EU players on Percival (and later Gareth) and it did indeed allow for action to be found all day, every day. It meant people working shifts always found other players. Both the EU and US players seemed to have healthy populations at all times of day.

With modern internet connections there is noe reason to segregate players based on location.

Besides, I'm from the UK. I have more in common as far as language goes with the US than I do with the EU...

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245

Well I'm from europe, but i played daoc on US servers only so it doesn't matter. It won't stop EU players. The difference is like what 40ms lag? That's nothing in mmo game. 

There could be one game client and after you log in you could choose whatever server you want. I'm sure people on forums would declare which server would be crowded more by people from their country. 

• BearprobeBearprobe Member Posts: 12

Me and my friends also played on US Daoc servers for 7 years. I stillplay on the Ywain servers now and I have no problems with lag due to being in Sweden whatsoever.

And the languages isn't a problem either. Perhaps for Germans and French being used to their own servers. Most other europeans use English in games anyway.

Current Daoc servers have EU and US players on them and there is no issue.

If you split EU and US up you will have the problem of nightcapping GW2 has when some US players play on EU servers and vice versa.

When everyone plays on the same region servers. Nightcapping will not be an issue.

• tmtProdigytmtProdigy Member Posts: 16

I don't see ANY issue as to why this can't be done:

-Lag Issues? anything below 100 is ABSOLUTELY fine for any mmo, this is not Counterstrike. plus, when i play on DAoC on Ywain i have got a ping of 28 from germany...

- Language barrier? English is the second language for 90% of all the countries, most certainly in the EU, i don't know anyone who does not understand english...

- Different time zones? That is a Pro for me, not a con! action all the time all day long? Yes please!

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162

Originally, GOA ran the Euro DAoC servers almost as an independent company. Not sure why or how that started, but I don't think it was due to language barriers. Probably, being a smaller company, Mythic sort of "outsourced" the euro servers. Anyway, I think the game released later overseas and I recall GOA being on a different patch number and almost running the game their own way.

I doubt you'd have a similar setup this time. CSE could create servers specifically for certain segments of the world, if people wanted to play on them, but not limit anyone from playing on any server. A lot of games have the Oceanic, Atlantic, etc servers to choose from.

On my main DAoC server (US Galahad), we had Japanese guilds pretty early. It was always fun because they would log on at odd hours, sometimes take some keeps or whatever and when you'd log on again, the frontier was changed. Also, it made for some activity when prime time cleared out. We also had smaller groups or solo players from Germany and Italy, who spoke enough English to function and interact.

It would be interesting to see players from all over the world from on one server, so the prime time was diminished a little and the activity spread throughout the day more.

• TasarocaTasaroca Member Posts: 16

i new poster  i started daoc in eu bata and surver mid ion prydwin

i have to agree with the 1st poster. marks vision of a player based econamy already exists in EVE online  and i belive that  this vision is only possable in a long turm if there is the largest possable customer base for the crafters to service in EVE every thing is made by players bought by players sold by players and i belive the sucsess of EVE is simply becouse there is one surver(ok there used to be a chinise surver but that was becouse china wanted it that way but i belive that has gone now not sure thou)

the game still has a strone 50k player base on that one surver  which for a game as old as DAOC thats good

language is not that much of a problem  as most players stick to corps(guilds) that speak there laguage  and most of those have diplomats that speak english  which has become the diplomatic / trader  lang  of the game

if you split the customer base of the game to lots of smaller survers then  there will be less crafters and people will not be able to find the things they want to buy  when they want them this will frustrate them and they will end up making there own crafter toons to supply them selves which distroys the  busness of thos who are crafters from there its a downward spiral to limp squid  game econamy

instead if you  like EVE  turn  use your machines to run nodes(areas of the world (sections of the universe in eves case) )

instead of different survers you can make the world a much larger and interesting place  and keep a large population of crafters  available 24/7 for the  large population of warriors  to go to

and just imagine the kind of battles you could have with 50k player base to play with :-D

my fondust memery of DACO was defending a relic keep with 30 others from a 200 player alb invastion  in the early days

to see something like that in todays DAOC  not likly  and not oftern

big fights like that where what early DAOC was about and they where fun fun and fun even when getting  beaten ( ok not always when getting beaten)

Tasaroca Troll ( I am not a buff bot damit) Shamy

Midgaurd /Prydwen / EU

• EllyaEllya Member Posts: 99

In 2001, many of us were on dial up modems, and the lag was a major issue. I played on the EU servers ,which were based in France, and even from France to the UK, there were issues of latency, which was a major pain in RvR.

As a poster above said, GOA did rather run the game their own way and EU was always several months behind the US in patches etc, which led to much howling on the forums and discontentment all around. I think it was more acute for the English speakers, as we knew that the delay was in order to translate into other languages, which would be of no benefit to us whatsoever. 

In 2013, the main backbones are all fibre optic now, and 99.9% are on broadband or better. 

I'd like to see us all playing on the same servers, with separate channels for the various languages.  If CSE do get to 30k subsrcibers, it might be a bit much for one server, not because of load, but because it would be too crowded to provide a good strategic experience. Sometimes, a bit of empty space is a good thing!.

Nobody said one server  ;) But servers connected to one game publisher. Lag is not issue now. Just let people create chats etc. and everything would be fine. 

when i say 1 server  i mean 1 world  every one plays on the same world not lots of clone worlds

with different names and no comunication ingame between them with small populations

1 world

1 population

1 game

split in to (i hate to use the word) zones  run on 1 surver machine linked to all the other machines running other zones

allowing your toon to travel  around the world zone by zone by moving from machine to machine  to visit different place

as i said im not a tec so i dont know if this has a name or not

but i only see what mark has said he wants to do working if there  is  1 population  in 1 world  playing 1 game

not lots of clones of 5k max population survers where you can only deal with that small population  on your surver

Midgaurd /Prydwen / EU

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Having seperate servers is great but lets hope they do not launch with a bazillion servers where population is too scarce for rvr to shine.  RVR needs populated servers in order to work.

It's impossible, because there won't be pve. It means content where you can go would be too small for everyone and also servers wouldn't be able to handle all that thing.

And if they did thing like they are going to do for example in Elders scrolls online where they gonna make one sever (at least i heard so) and the server will decide who you will see and who you won't (it will check who is your friend) there could be problems to make something like realm pride.

And anyway imagine fights for keeps, that's impossible that there wouldn't go 3000 people at once at the beginning of the game. Not possible to handle something like that on server.

Originally posted by morfidon

It's impossible, because there won't be pve. It means content where you can go would be too small for everyone and also servers wouldn't be able to handle all that thing.

And if they did thing like they are going to do for example in Elders scrolls online where they gonna make one sever (at least i heard so) and the server will decide who you will see and who you won't (it will check who is your friend) there could be problems to make something like realm pride.

And anyway imagine fights for keeps, that's impossible that there wouldn't go 3000 people at once at the beginning of the game. Not possible to handle something like that on server.

sorry im afraid your wrong eve online daly deals with multible 1000 player fights where each player can have up to 5 pets(drones)

in one planetary system  when wars are ongoing admitadly admins have to give more computing resorces to an area when fights get up to 2-3k people  and this isnt that rare and ocurance  and isnt to much of a problem

most problems in these battles come from indiviual players who dont turn off there graphics  o when they dont have goood machines to run the game who have problems with there home machines not being able to handle the full geaphics of that many people in the system fighting

machines now have a hell of alot more power than they did 12 years ago  and can handle alot more processing  it would entirly depend on the engine that is choosen for the game to how well it handles large scale fights

oh and when i say surver i mean 1 world where every one logs on to  but which can have lots of machines running the world not just one

Midgaurd /Prydwen / EU

• ZakatakZakatak Member Posts: 17

I live in the US, I played on Bors, and after all my rl friends quit playing fulltime I stepped into an 8man guild that was entirely Euro..  I mean we had one from Greenlands, 2 Germany, 1 Australia, 1 Japan, 1 England and one somewhere else...  I was the only one from US and it worked out just fine.  Everyone spoke English.  I prefer to play with people from other countries, it makes things interesting and fun.

Bige-Bors.

Bige - Bors.
    Bigge, Zmallz, Reiggn, Faty)

(Everquest(99-02), Lineage(01-02), DAoC(02-09), WoW(07), WAR(10-11), Rift(11)
    Nothing Current.

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162

If the question is just 1 server total, no. Since the plan is to have people on only 1 realm per server, they'll have to provide separate servers for people to play all the realms.

Also, the KS partner they signed was specifically to help market in Europe and Asia, so there will be just 1 KS. It seems logical that CSE would either house or closely monitor all their CU servers for the world, not like the arrangement with GOA.

I'm thinking something like 5-15 servers total based on the target for this game, different rulesets (if any), and maybe grouping a few for world geographical reasons.

Personally, I like having separate servers. In DAoC, each had a little different flavor and when you re-rolled, it was kind of fun trying to integrate to a new community.

• ZakatakZakatak Member Posts: 17

I really liked being able to re-roll with friends and get in the good action on other servers.  Though sometimes I wished I was Alb or Hib on my server at times.  If I had Hibs or Albs on the other 2 servers upon server merge that would have been sweet... because instead of having to log onto somebody else' account to play with friends I made via rvr I would have been able to log onto my own account after a time lapse and play my characters with them..

Also another reason for multiple servers, to be able to play multiple realms and enjoy what each one has to offer. Yeah - loyalty, pride, realmpride, serverpride is good, but I enjoy different classes/races from time to time.  That or just make somebody wait an hour or two or even 8 to log onto another realm on the same server. 

Bige - Bors.
    Bigge, Zmallz, Reiggn, Faty)

(Everquest(99-02), Lineage(01-02), DAoC(02-09), WoW(07), WAR(10-11), Rift(11)
    Nothing Current.

• SaevelSaevel Member UncommonPosts: 102

Tons of us euros played on the US servers from the very beginning. Lag was never an issue.

Whatever they do, if they localize, I hope they pool all the servers together and mark them with the location, instead of separating the game completely like WoW did, where you couldn't play US at all if you had the Euro version.

• fufu666fufu666 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by Hairyzac
    In theory this sounds great.  But I doubt it is worth trying to implement technically speaking.  You would also have people speaking multiple languages and communication would become an issue.

OMG communications an issue, yeah us people from the UK and all the many, many people in Europe who speak English would have a communications problem with those from the US. I understand people wanting French, German or Russian speaking servers, but why not have English speaking servers. Does it really matter what time of day it is?

I never understood why there are US servers and EU servers, if it's the time differeance for raids etc, in a PvP or RvR game that would mean people on to group with or to fight against in the day and night, no matter where you are from. It is 1 am and almost all have gone to sleep (.... but wait my buddies from the US are comming online yay more RvR.

I vote for an English Speaking server !

• VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143

Playing on Guinevere from Norway was rarely an issue back then, and I doubt it will be one now.

If ping rates do become an issue, migrating servers should be possible. By migrating servers I mean that the game changes from EU to US to Asian locations depending on where primetime is. That way, Europeans have the best ping during our evenings, but once we go into nighttime and the US turn to evening then it is their turn.

But, I don't think lag/ping will be much of an issue.

As for different language servers, being a niche games I doubt this will be translated into any other languages.