Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of switching from EQ

I am sick of SoE and the bad custoner service in EQ.  Can anyone give me the pro & cons of Ultma?

One aspect I like of EQ is the buying/selling in the bazaar.  Epecially on the Firiona Vie server where very few items are 'no drop"; almost everything is tradable/sellable.  Does Ultima have a bazaar type element?  Is there a server like that in WoW or are all like that?

I play a L70 ranger in EQ.  What is the equivlent in Ultima? 

What about Wow?  Which is more like EQ, Wow, GW, FF11 or Ultima?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

Just let me put my flame suit on first.....

Before moving from EQ to UO you would need to put things in historical perspective.  While the gaming community of today is talking about the benefits of 3rd generation MMO' s like WoW and EQ2 vs their predecessors........years ago devs were writing Everquest to de throne Ultima Online.  So, UO would be first generation , EQ 1 , 2nd generation, WoW and EQ2 3rd generation.

If you're looking for a 3d world that makes you feel like you're there, in person, WoW might work for a bit.  If you're lvl 70 then you know all about the end game raiding ....thats ALL WoW has to offer at the end game ; so if you're into Vent-based guild chat for 40 man raids 3 -7 times a night then WoW would work.

Its been a LONG time since I played UO and its my own humble opinion that they totally wanked it with the Age Of Shadow expansion when they 'modernized' the game.  But UO is a niche, with a group strong community that seems unbreakable.  it has a 'strong' pvp system and crafting system at its core.  What I like about UO is it only takes 50 ish tinkering and a set of tools to make a fortune (as an example :D ).

There are a lot of morons (or were) but the game also contains some of the best dam people I've ever encountered online.  WoW is easy to put a finger on and say its like a 3rd generation MMO, and IMO its very close to what EQ 2 should have been.....UO is entirely the opposite and more difficult to put a finger on. The best thing I can say about that game is to give it a shot and try it out.  In the end it cant be much more the $20 at any game store.

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

Yea dude...try the game.

Ultima Online has one of the best communities out there.
    I tried WoW for a 15 day period and was put off by the young kids out there (not all kids are back, pardon me...the ones that are all h@xoR$ and kill n00b and all those kids is what I'm talking about when i say KIDS ;).

This is what you'll find...kids are the ones seem to be driven by 3d graphics, whereas you'll find a more mature community that follow the foundation of the game.

Ultima Online, has seen better days, but in my opinion. . .is by FAR the best MMORPG out there right now. And believe me, I've tried almost all of them. Try Ultima Online, yes...it is a hard game to get started in, I think EQ was the same...but once you get into it, you won't leave it.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• garrison13garrison13 Member Posts: 97

Exactly what MaeEye said.
    The new expansion has added a load of content as well, to cater slightly for the "WoW" crowd ( e.g semi-instanced dungeons). You should check out the official forums at Stratics (but take anything said on UO Hall with a pinch of salt ::::39::).

• PsyXPsyX Member Posts: 220

Here is something you really have to consider tho.

99% of all the good stuff you have read about is not around anymore.
    UO is no longer Ultima Online the ONE virutal world its World of ultima quest online.

During the years many great devs have left and been replaced by space monkies from hell
    and so the fundation of UO has been removed to give room for a new "All neon , fuzzy unbalanced
    hack feast" so if your looking for a strong comunity where death or treasure is around every f.cking
    tree look else where.

but If you are looking for , Enough neon colours to make fab 5 seam hetrosexual.
    PvP fights thats about as balanced as attacking a sheep farm with a nuke. Devs from
    great games such as The Sims Online. 0 comunity . a completly hack/script controlled economy
    Corrupted GMs (yes you can get banned for saying just about anything aslong as you are in the wrong guild). Then HELL YEA UO EA style is for you

• garrison13garrison13 Member Posts: 97

Which shard did you play on PsyX?
    Bit overly negative there imho.
    To original poster, go for the free trial and make your own mind up. You'll always get some people saying "this is the world's greatest game" or "this game is a pile of shit" about pretty much every MMORPG out.

• PsyXPsyX Member Posts: 220

I played on Europa up until about last week when i swithed to siege.
    from what i can say now even siege sucks :) the game is ruined move on or find
    a good pre AoS shard to play on thats what im gonna do