Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TOP 5 most popular games?

13»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Yeah I know right?  Why the hell are people bringing up LoL at all?

because

1) it is the most popular game (look at the topic title)

2) many MMOs have instanced arena combat a little like LOL.

3) It is listed on this website.

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

because

Still, the developers don't consider it an MMO, so it shouldn't be considered one.

The topic title doesn't have to be specific if he was on about MMO's or not, because he posted it in the MMO forums, not general gaming, therefore, he meant MMO's, therefore not LoL.

LoL is listed on this site, as is Diablo 3, neither are MMO's. 

Originally posted by Malacth

because

Still, the developers don't consider it an MMO, so it shouldn't be considered one.

The topic title doesn't have to be specific if he was on about MMO's or not, because he posted it in the MMO forums, not general gaming, therefore, he meant MMO's, therefore not LoL.

Like you said .. lots of games listed on this site are NOT MMOs. D3, LOL, WOT, PoE .. the list goes on and on.

Since this is general discussion of this site, i would interpret that as anything being discussed on this forum goes, particular when the OP does not specify he is talking about MMO.

In fact, i would discuss all listed games here. If you have a problem with that, you are welcomed to ignore my posts.

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

Popular in terms of western players players -

1.) World of Warcraft (9+ million active players.)

2.) Guild (2+ million active players.)

3.) Eve (500k+ active players.)

4.) Rift (100k+ active players.)

5.) The Secret World (50k+ players.)

I've only bothered to mention games I actually like/play, but that's probably very similar to the actual list anyway.

sorry to asking: but how do you know how many players are active at GW2? I think this game is over hype again and show wrong statistic, as to me 2 mil copies sold is not = 2 mil of active users.

Well it's sold 3+ million copies, and growing in sales every month, so I'm assuming it's around the 2million active players mark, maybe 1-2million, but still no less than 1million active players, my guess though is very close to 2million. (by active I mean someone who has played their account in the last month.)

Maybe you should replace the "western" with "global", because otherwise your numbers are complete nonsense in case of WoW and EvE. But then again in a global context TSW or Rift wouldnt even make it into this list. Maybe not even EvE. And add "or so I wildly guess" behind the Rift, GW2 and TSW numbers to prevent someone might misunderstand your charts as credible data.

I'll agree with WoW, Eve and Rift. 

Define "western". EVE only has two shards, one chinese and one for everyone else. Some guesses estimate the split to be 1(china) : 4 (world), no hard numbers are known though. The majority of players from the "world" server come from NA and EU, but we also have a very sizeable Aussie minority (western?), Brazil minority (western?), Japan minority (western?) etc.

(EDIT: And ofc I forgot our (also extremely sizeable) everred RUSRUS comrades. ;)

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by FromHell

all time?

1. Tetris

2. Super Mario

3. Pong

4. Zelda

5. Metroid

How do you leave Pac-Man off the list?  Or, SimCity for the NES?

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

because

Like you said .. lots of games listed on this site are NOT MMOs. D3, LOL, WOT, PoE .. the list goes on and on.

Since this is general discussion of this site, i would interpret that as anything being discussed on this forum goes, particular when the OP does not specify he is talking about MMO.

In fact, i would discuss all listed games here. If you have a problem with that, you are welcomed to ignore my posts.

This topic wasn't in "General Gaming," it was posted in "The Pub" which is solely for MMO's, so if we're not considering LoL, Diablo3, PoE etc as MMO's then they should not be mentioned in "The Pub."

The OP does not need to specifiy if he is talking about MMO's, if he is posting in the MMO section of the forums.

This is why I'm not ignoring your posts, because they're misleading for this topic, giving wrong information and well irrellevant aren't they.

This topic wasn't in "General Gaming," it was posted in "The Pub" which is solely for MMO's, so if we're not considering LoL, Diablo3, PoE etc as MMO's then they should not be mentioned in "The Pub."

The OP does not need to specifiy if he is talking about MMO's, if he is posting in the MMO section of the forums.

This is why I'm not ignoring your posts, because they're misleading for this topic, giving wrong information and well irrellevant aren't they.

Are are blind? There is discussion about LOL, D3, PoE, in the pub.

And what information is wrong?

- LOL is more popular than WOW, and other MMOs. Is that wrong?

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

I've only bothered to mention games I actually like/play, but that's probably very similar to the actual list anyway.

sorry to asking: but how do you know how many players are active at GW2? I think this game is over hype again and show wrong statistic, as to me 2 mil copies sold is not = 2 mil of active users.

Well the same could be said for WOW 9 million sub doesn't mean that 9 million are playing just that 9 million are paying.

Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

Well the same could be said for WOW 9 million sub doesn't mean that 9 million are playing just that 9 million are paying.

You can use xfire ranking. While their numbers do not include all the players, the relative ranking at least give you a sense of what is popular, and what is not.

As of now, WOW is #4, and GW2 is #5. So i think GW2 is doing quite well in terms of active players.

Are are blind? There is discussion about LOL, D3, PoE, in the pub.

And what information is wrong?

- LOL is more popular than WOW, and other MMOs. Is that wrong?

There might be, but as we've established earlier they are not MMO's, so shouldn't be discussed in the MMO section of the forums. 

LoL is more popular than WoW and other MMO's yeah, but it's not a more popular MMO, becuase it is not an MMO.

There might be, but as we've established earlier they are not MMO's, so shouldn't be discussed in the MMO section of the forums. 

LoL is more popular than WoW and other MMO's yeah, but it's not a more popular MMO, becuase it is not an MMO.

LOL is a more popular online game than WOW. Happy?

And while you say "shouldn't be discussed" many times, how many posts have LOL in it, including yours?

I would love to see how you would plan to eliminate the mention of LOL from this forum. Let me know when you have any success.

In the meanwhile, let's throw in Diablo 3 too. It is pretty successful, sold more than all MMOs, and still up there in the top 10 on xfire.

And while you say "shouldn't be discussed" many times, how many posts have LOL in it, including yours?

I would love to see how you would plan to eliminate the mention of LOL from this forum. Let me know when you have any success.

In the meanwhile, let's throw in Diablo 3 too. It is pretty successful, sold more than all MMOs, and still up there in the top 10 on xfire.

Lets be fair though, LoL is only more popular than WoW because it's free to play, if it had a sub it wouldn't survive, and WoW still makes more revenue, so I guess what I'm saying is WoW has a larger loyal fanbase, while LoL has a smaller loyal fanbase and just millions of people who try it for being free. (like Runescape which is more popular than WoW or LoL by your logic.)

I don't want to eliminate LoL being mentioned, I just don't think it should be mentioned here, as it's not an MMO.

Also, Diablo3 hasn't sold more than Vanilaa WoW, which has probably sold around 30+ million copies.

Lets be fair though, LoL is only more popular than WoW because it's free to play, if it had a sub it wouldn't survive, and WoW still makes more revenue, so I guess what I'm saying is WoW has a larger loyal fanbase, while LoL has a smaller loyal fanbase and just millions of people who try it for being free. (like Runescape which is more popular than WoW or LoL by your logic.)

I don't want to eliminate LoL being mentioned, I just don't think it should be mentioned here, as it's not an MMO.

Also, Diablo3 hasn't sold more than Vanilaa WoW, which has probably sold around 30+ million copies.

Point taken. LOL is F2P. I am not trying to diminish WOW .. but at the same time, let's not forget there are other very successful games out there.

As for D3, it sold 12M in a year. I doubt WOW has ever done that. So if you put the time duration in perspective, i would say it is more successful although clear it won't have the same legs as WOW, jsut because it is not a MMO, and don't have regular non-expansion content updates. But as a ARPG, it is doing very well (at least on xfire charts).

The other game i would pay attention to is WOT. It said there is a huge demand for good arena pvp games.

If you look at the xfire chart, WOW is the only top game that requires a sub. The era of sub games is probably over.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

For the sake of arguement, the WoW subs may be a litlte inflated due to the Annual Pass that some people purchased in order to get Diablo 3 for free.

As an FYI...those Annual Passes are expiring either this month or next! :)

To be even more fair, comparing WoW to LoL is like comparing apples and oranges.  Both are Online Games, but they are different types.  A subscription wouldn't work for LoL because of the type of online game it is.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

For the sake of arguement, the WoW subs may be a litlte inflated due to the Annual Pass that some people purchased in order to get Diablo 3 for free.

It expired for me last Dec. It started counting when you purchase the annual pass, NOT when D3 was released.
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

It expired for me last Dec. It started counting when you purchase the annual pass, NOT when D3 was released.

April for me :(

I haven't touched the game since June.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity

To be even more fair, comparing WoW to LoL is like comparing apples and oranges.  Both are Online Games, but they are different types.  A subscription wouldn't work for LoL because of the type of online game it is.

I wouldn't go that far.

Games are games.

A minute I am playing WOW, is a min i am not playing LOL, or COD.

To me, all games (and even movies & tv) compete for my time. So i do judge if playing D3 is more fun (right now) than playing STO, or even Sudoku.

• ClaudeSuamOramClaudeSuamOram Member Posts: 122
    Simple...just pick the top 5 games you know that hand everything to a player in under an hour.
    Originally posted by ClaudeSuamOram
    Simple...just pick the top 5 games you know that hand everything to a player in under an hour.

I detect a bitterness underneath.

Tell me .. you get to top level in LOL under an hours? That is the game with the most active players.

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88

^ you from the Ps Vita forums guy above me?

Also the amount of wrong and stupidity coming from some of you on this board is getting silly now. 

Do you honestly think or even think enough to calcuate that GW2 having sold what 3 Mil after 6 months has a retained player base of 2 Million? 

By that logic, (because i can throw random numbers into a respone) Diablo 3 which sold 6 Mill on release has a player base of 5 million..... because well that's how it works, both are b2p so yea it works. See how stupid that seems.

If were going to be realistic with the response from GW1 players not abandoning GW1, the terrible Lost Shores fiasco, Ascended gear, and dying Spvp. 

Gw 2 probably has a active player base of around 500 - 300k But those numbers are clearly speculation and im not putting them out as fact like some posters are............

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by Mastrshadow
    *Points at 'Most Popular Games' widget on the front page*

We have a front page?  Never been there.  Bookmarks ftw!

• ClaudeSuamOramClaudeSuamOram Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by ClaudeSuamOram

I detect a bitterness underneath.

Tell me .. you get to top level in LOL under an hours? That is the game with the most active players.

I don't play LoL because it is FULL of rude players and not my kind of game. (I tried it) And it's not bitterness...it's observation from what I see in today's game market. And it was really meant in a humorous way. Try not to read into things so much all the time...you'll live longer =).