Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

6 years later...

dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

And I still feel like I'm playing a game in beta.  Trying to walk down or jump down a mountain gets me stuck more often than not.  When swimming and coming up on land I've managed to swim under the world a few times.  Climbing any stair case is annoying beyond belief, you usually have to bunny hop in a criss cross pattern.  When using a flying mount I've flown inside mountians a few times.

The responsiveness to the controls is sluggish even when I'm getting a very low ping.  Every 45-60 seconds my latency spikes for a couple seconds which has gotten me killed on a few occassions.

I played Vanguard at release and it was an unholy mess.  Granted, it's not as bad now as it was then but it's still nowhere near production quality.

I think the game itself is great.  The class and race selection is interesting.  Diplomacy is the most fun and unique mini game I've ever seen (and I usually hate mini games).  The world is open and feels vast.  The mobs put up a decent fight and I don't feel like I'm steamrolling everything even at low levels.  Grouping seems to be encouraged more than your typical mmorpg.  It has many of the old school features I like.

Overall though the bugs and lag are making for an extremely frustrating experience.  I can't see myself sticking it out that long and certainly not upgrading to a subscription.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
-- Herman Melville

Comments

• gexz7gexz7 Member Posts: 131

I think if you try to run everything at max settings you might have hitches.  Personally I have always played with the rendering at performance which draws less bushes lamppoles what not.  That said I am having a blast I pay for three months at a time and its enjoyable to just explore and see things on your own.  I just am not sure that you description of the lag is adequate in 2013 when most of the computers are more than suportable for playing VG and the devlopment team althouhg not perfect has worked out most of the bugs.  No other game has the beauty of VG as long as you can run it I suppose

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Vanguard is what it is.  It will always have those issues.  You just have to deal with them.  I've never encountered some of those that much but they do exist.  The stairs thing is probably the most annoying.  There are too many good features about the game though.  For one, just being able to go to that mountain and climb it unlike most game where you are corraled into areas.
  • gexz7gexz7 Member Posts: 131

Letsinod, congratulations by March 5, 2013 you will have been a member of these forumns for seven years

I wont ever catch you but I am right behind you, gamers united we should start a PAC, lol

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by gexz7

Letsinod, congratulations by March 5, 2013 you will have been a member of these forumns for seven years

I wont ever catch you but I am right behind you, gamers united we should start a PAC, lol

lol so random man

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Punk999

lol so random man

:p

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• birkenbirken Member Posts: 122
    I agree. If you have your setting right the game runs fine for me i run at 9.8 fps  and 13.4fps in busy area. Big city sometimes alittle more but not that bad. THe game is a hard game to play it not a click to win  like most of the other games. Your have to really read and search for quest and other stuff in the game. The game is free to play and come out with new stuff all the time what else can u ask for. ALL games have some kind of glitch.
  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    It's sad that a lot of the bugs that were there in beta are still there. However I still have found no other current game that makes me feel more like I am in an actual living breathing game world. I have been playing again recently and am greatly enjoying the game. I'm not saying that this little trist will last forever but for now it's going good lol.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I think if you try to run everything at max settings you might have hitches.  Personally I have always played with the rendering at performance which draws less bushes lamppoles what not.  That said I am having a blast I pay for three months at a time and its enjoyable to just explore and see things on your own.  I just am not sure that you description of the lag is adequate in 2013 when most of the computers are more than suportable for playing VG and the devlopment team althouhg not perfect has worked out most of the bugs.  No other game has the beauty of VG as long as you can run it I suppose

I do run everything at max settings.  My frame rate never drops below 60.  I'll trying lowering it to see if it's going to help that damn staircase problem.

I don't want to jinx it but I was playing yesterday and the latency problems were much better.  That helped the controls responsiveness a lot.  We'll see if it was a fluke if I play tonight.  Maybe that bug was resolved.  *fingers crossed*

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• GenreNinjaGenreNinja Member CommonPosts: 159

To me, the OP sounds like someone who TRIES to swim through mountains and get stuck on hills.

I've played the game for years and maybe I'm at a point wehre I naturally avoid them, but either way it's not game breakingly frequent when your not trying.

---

Live a life less ordinary.

Originally posted by GenreNinja

To me, the OP sounds like someone who TRIES to swim through mountains and get stuck on hills.

I've played the game for years and maybe I'm at a point wehre I naturally avoid them, but either way it's not game breakingly frequent when your not trying.

Yes I'm trying to get stuck.  I enjoy the 60 second break from using "/stuck yes" command.

-- Herman Melville

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

I'm sorry issues like that is hampering your experience and ability to enjoy the game. It certainly is possible to get stuck and to swim under the world. But it is not exactly common, but I understand your point although your are exaggerating a lot.

I'm in no position to tell you what to like and play, but I just don't understand how such issues really matter, I mean its such a minor thing that rarely happens. Or maybe I'm just so used to it I don't really care anymore. In the big picture I just feel its, not that important, but thats me.

Oh but the STAIRS, that annoys me greatly, and I find it hard to believe its not been fixed. Because that seems like a more simple issue to fix than getting stuck certain places(which happens in every mmorpg I've played, yes including wow) or swim under the world.

Its just the long ass stairs you get stuck in, and how often do I really encounter them? Not very often so again, annoying and certainly dumb yes, but does it affect me much ingame? Not at all.

Originally posted by Everket

I'm sorry issues like that is hampering your experience and ability to enjoy the game. It certainly is possible to get stuck and to swim under the world. But it is not exactly common, but I understand your point although your are exaggerating a lot.

I'm in no position to tell you what to like and play, but I just don't understand how such issues really matter, I mean its such a minor thing that rarely happens. Or maybe I'm just so used to it I don't really care anymore. In the big picture I just feel its, not that important, but thats me.

Oh but the STAIRS, that annoys me greatly, and I find it hard to believe its not been fixed. Because that seems like a more simple issue to fix than getting stuck certain places(which happens in every mmorpg I've played, yes including wow) or swim under the world.

Its just the long ass stairs you get stuck in, and how often do I really encounter them? Not very often so again, annoying and certainly dumb yes, but does it affect me much ingame? Not at all.

I wish I was exaggerating.  I'm honestly not.

I've learned to avoid activities that will cause the game to bug out.  I no longer look for shortcuts through the mountians, I'll follow the beaten path.  I no longer bother swimming since the druid can walk on water.  The staircase problem I'll have to live with since I can't find a workaround for that one.

I'll treat Vanguard with kid gloves.

-- Herman Melville