Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New laptop from deviltech

povilezazpovilezaz Member UncommonPosts: 25

I am looking to buy a new laptop and after some search found this at "Deviltech.de"  name of the machine is "Hellfire DTX"

some specs :

17,3" 1920 x 1080 Full-HD LED Backlight-Widescreen
Intel® Mobile Core i7 3630QM / 6MB L3 Cache, 2.40GHz - 3.40GHz Turbo Modus
NVidia GeForce GTX 660M with 2 GB GDDR5
8 GB - 1 x 8192 MB- DDR3 SDRAM mit 1600 MHz
1000 GB 5.400 U/Min SATA
120 GB Intel SATA Solid State Drive 520series

price 1041 euro

What you think ? is it a good deal or should I change smthng ? mabie someone have some experience with deviltech ?

Comments

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

It seems like  a decent price for what you are looking to order, but I would advise against buying it.

Do you really need a laptop for high-end gaming?  They are not great at dissipating heat, which limits the processing power they can put into the machines.  Get a desktop for high-end gaming if you're stationary.  If you just need something to move from place-to-place, even a small-form-factor PC would be better than a laptop for the money spent.

If you're set on getting a laptop, here are some thoughts.  

That 120 GB hard drive isn't much.  You can (and should) have your OS on there, then you'll have room for a handful of games.  It depends on if you're comfortable with the limited space or not.  Defnitely put all low-performance items on the mechanical hard drive.  This includes all large downloads which are not going to be used more than once (like game installation files), movies, music, and documents.

More RAM would be good, especially if you want to turn off your swap file.

The core i7 might not be the best processor for gaming, but I'm not familiar with mobile processors.

• povilezazpovilezaz Member UncommonPosts: 25

Unfortunatelly I travel really ofter and desktop is just not an option :( There is always heating problems with laptops but since its going to be fifth or sixth laptop of mine I think I can live with it ...

120gb is ssd hard only for operating seestem . there is second hard drive 1tb for all the rest data.

8gb ram is not that much I know but since I can always buy and add more its not a problem (just trying to be close to1k euro)

in procesors im quite newb so i just picked first with 6mb cache :)  here's the list of all posible proc's in that machine :

Intel® Mobile Core i3 3120M / 3MB L3 Cache, 2.50GHz

Intel® Mobile Core i5 3230M / 3MB L3 Cache, 2.60GHz - 3.20GHz Turbo Modus [+45€]

Intel® Mobile Core i5 3340M / 3MB L3 Cache, 2.70GHz - 3.40GHz Turbo Modus [+89€]

Intel® Mobile Core i7 3520M / 4MB L3 Cache, 2.90GHz - 3.60GHz Turbo Modus [+223€]

Intel® Mobile Core i7 3630QM / 6MB L3 Cache, 2.40GHz - 3.40GHz Turbo Modus [+129€]

Intel® Mobile Core i7 3740QM / 6MB L3 Cache, 2.70GHz - 3.70GHz Turbo Modus [+256€]

Intel® Mobile Core i7 3840QM / 8MB L3 Cache, 2.80GHz - 3.80GHz Turbo Modus [+459€]

Intel® Mobile Core i7 3920XM / 8MB L3 Cache, 2.90GHz - 3.80GHz Turbo Modus [+699€]

• uofa13luofa13l Member Posts: 29
    Id check out some of asus high end gaming laptops. they did an amazing job with heat dissipation although it makes the laptop much thicker. i got one last year and play skyrim on ultra with no heat issues.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

It's really a question of priorities and budget.  Don't expect amazing things from a mid-range video card, though it should be able to play most games at high graphical settings.

QM at the end of the CPU means it's a quad core, and that's what you want.  There isn't much difference between a relatively faster or slower quad core, however, so you might as well just get the cheapest of them--which is what you did.

The glaring flaw is the memory configuration.  While 8 GB is plenty of system memory, only having one module is not.  That will cut your memory bandwidth in half, which could markedly harm your CPU performance in some situations.  You want two memory modules, and even two 4 GB modules for the same 8 GB in total memory capacity would be much better.

• povilezazpovilezaz Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Thanks for info will deffinately swich to x2 4gb .
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by povilezaz

120gb is ssd hard only for operating seestem . there is second hard drive 1tb for all the rest data.

Put your games on the SSD too.  It would be a waste to get it just for the operating system, which would only take advantage of the speed when booting.  Anything other than games you actively play and the OS should go on the mechanical drive.