Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leveling Speed

sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

How is the leveling speed in this game as a non-subscriber? I was going to come back and give it another try when I heard about f2p, but when I read about the reduced xp rates for non-subscribers, I didn't bother.

Now that f2p has been out a few months, what are your experiences with the xp rate?

Thanks!

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

What one person thinks of as fast another may consider slow of course but to give an example when the game launched the first person hit max level in about 40 hours from memory and several in less than two days. Sure these will have been hardcore with no xp reduction but there were a lot of players reporting that they hit cap in under 2 weeks. Some took longer, had multiple alts etc. but you getthe drift. Leveling was very, very fast and there were threads asking for xp to be turned off.

And whilst f2p has "reduced xp" it doesn't really make much difference. (People have to be logged on to spend money in the cash shop of course so slowing down leveling is an attempt, I assume, to increse revenue).

It is a personal thing though but its free to try.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by sevitoth
    How is the leveling speed in this game as a non-subscriber? I was going to come back and give it another try when I heard about f2p, but when I read about the reduced xp rates for non-subscribers, I didn't bother.Now that f2p has been out a few months, what are your experiences with the xp rate?Thanks!  

its f2p, try it and decide for yourself. i will say as a subscriber its ridiculously fast, probably too fast.

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Although it says I'm leveling faster as a sub than I was as f2p, I haven't noticed any difference in how fast I'm leveling now via quests/dungeons aside from that fact that f2p-players don't earn rested exp. It's really not that big of a deal. You will still outlevel areas before you can even do the majority of quests on each planet.
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by baphamet

How is the leveling speed in this game as a non-subscriber? I was going to come back and give it another try when I heard about f2p, but when I read about the reduced xp rates for non-subscribers, I didn't bother.

Now that f2p has been out a few months, what are your experiences with the xp rate?

Thanks!

its f2p, try it and decide for yourself. i will say as a subscriber its ridiculously fast, probably too fast.

No kidding.Between story missions, world missions, side mission, flashpoints and warzones there is just so many ways to level in this game. I'm always a level or two ahead of whatever I'm doing. Leveling is so easy in this game then again I've never cared about leveling speed. Too many of today's players have been conditioned to speed through games without enjoying the jouney. It's going to get to a point to where developers throw up their hands and say "screw lore and trying to write a creative story. Let's just put out mission terminals that literally say nothing more than "Kill 10 rats" . I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard goes that route with TITAN. Every mission is no more than one sentence long telling you what to do. Maybe it can foster a new genre and we can call it the Fortune Cookie MMO. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    I'm currently a f2p player and for my playstle I'm out leveling areas. I do all content on planets, complete my PvP and Flashpoint weekly allowances. I've just started on Balmorra at Level 20, the guide level to start that palnet is 15. It's quick enough :)

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Just doing quests, no PVP or Flashpoints, I've found that I am typically 1-2 levels below what the quest assumes I'll be.

And the game in general kind of bogs down once you get into Chapter 1. I've played a number of classes up to 15 or so, but it seems like it takes as much time to go from 15 to 16 as it does from 1 to 15.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104
    It's such a boring featureless game it seems to take for ever to get from one level to the next.
  • DavynelordDavynelord Member Posts: 122

I've been f2p since late november and my play sessions are normally 4 hours every other day and can easily do 6+ on weekends....however, I didn't play most of december because of the holidays...but so far these are my characters..advanced class in parenthesis....

49 Jedi Knight (Guardian)

30 Smuggler (Scoundrel)

20 Trooper (Commando)

16 Sith Warrior (Marauder)

15 Sith Inquisitor (Sorcerer)

14 Trooper (Vanguard)...started him yesterday, got 12 levels in 1 play session.

Soon as I make another 100k, I'll buy another character slot and start a Bounty Hunter as well.

Overall, the trooper class seems to do so much AOE Damage, that it makes it fast to level that class compared to the others I've tried...I just don't play my commando as I don't like it that much, which is why I'm trying vanguard to see if it's better than commando.

As for my Jedi Knight, I leveled her primarily in warzones (group PVP) which I found to be very cool.  

FYI, my average earnings in PVP per match is about 13k xp, 5k credits, 2400 valor (PVP xp to help buy PVP gear) and about 130+ commendations (I think only subs actually get to claim those however).   With just pvp, I was capping out on credits pretty easy.   The cap is 350k for preferred player (a f2p player who bought something from cartel market...spent real money) and 250k cap for f2p. I basically bought weekly warzone passes which give unlimited access to warzones for 7 days (f2p can only do 5 per week, which sucks).   After my cartel coins ran out, I used the credits I got from leveling up to buy weekly passes from the GTN (players put them up for sale for about 130k credits, which I can make that back in one day).

If Pvp is not your thing, then class missions, planet missions, space missions, exploration all give enough xp that you'll out level most planets fast.   I found I was moving to the next planet 2 levels sooner than expected..such as being level 18 moving to a level 20 - 24 planet for example.   As long as your smart about gear and credits, you pretty much can keep your character modded out in blues (the highest grade of mods f2p can use) and be well prepared for the next level planet.  

Overall, it's the easiest MMO I've ever played for leveling...I was surprised at how easy everything is..but maybe that's just my years of MMO experience that makes it easier for me....everything is pretty straight forward though and so just give it a try and I'm sure leveling will be the very last thing you are concerned about.

EDIT: oh and I forget to add, try running in groups, you get more xp....I personally did everything solo about 95% of the time myself (which is why I don't have much social xp), but when I did group, I did notice xp came a bit faster, but just a bit.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Davynelord

I've been f2p since late november and my play sessions are normally 4 hours every other day and can easily do 6+ on weekends....however, I didn't play most of december because of the holidays...but so far these are my characters..advanced class in parenthesis....

49 Jedi Knight (Guardian)

30 Smuggler (Scoundrel)

20 Trooper (Commando)

16 Sith Warrior (Marauder)

15 Sith Inquisitor (Sorcerer)

14 Trooper (Vanguard)...started him yesterday, got 12 levels in 1 play session.

Soon as I make another 100k, I'll buy another character slot and start a Bounty Hunter as well.

Overall, the trooper class seems to do so much AOE Damage, that it makes it fast to level that class compared to the others I've tried...I just don't play my commando as I don't like it that much, which is why I'm trying vanguard to see if it's better than commando.

As for my Jedi Knight, I leveled her primarily in warzones (group PVP) which I found to be very cool.  

FYI, my average earnings in PVP per match is about 13k xp, 5k credits, 2400 valor (PVP xp to help buy PVP gear) and about 130+ commendations (I think only subs actually get to claim those however).   With just pvp, I was capping out on credits pretty easy.   The cap is 350k for preferred player (a f2p player who bought something from cartel market...spent real money) and 250k cap for f2p. I basically bought weekly warzone passes which give unlimited access to warzones for 7 days (f2p can only do 5 per week, which sucks).   After my cartel coins ran out, I used the credits I got from leveling up to buy weekly passes from the GTN (players put them up for sale for about 130k credits, which I can make that back in one day).

If Pvp is not your thing, then class missions, planet missions, space missions, exploration all give enough xp that you'll out level most planets fast.   I found I was moving to the next planet 2 levels sooner than expected..such as being level 18 moving to a level 20 - 24 planet for example.   As long as your smart about gear and credits, you pretty much can keep your character modded out in blues (the highest grade of mods f2p can use) and be well prepared for the next level planet.  

Overall, it's the easiest MMO I've ever played for leveling...I was surprised at how easy everything is..but maybe that's just my years of MMO experience that makes it easier for me....everything is pretty straight forward though and so just give it a try and I'm sure leveling will be the very last thing you are concerned about.

EDIT: oh and I forget to add, try running in groups, you get more xp....I personally did everything solo about 95% of the time myself (which is why I don't have much social xp), but when I did group, I did notice xp came a bit faster, but just a bit.

I'm a subscription player so I wasn't sure about the XP gains for ftp. Glad to see that it isn't as horrible as some people make it sound. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by baphamet

Thanks!

What concerns me is that it might get a lot slower and possibly for all of us. On the PTS the planet comms are now all bundled together in one pot. The worst of it is that you are allowed a maximum of 100 of these and a weekly cap of 50! Yup that is far too low so if you are F2P expect to get to your limit on our 2 characters within 5 days.

You see I'm ok , well I will have to make room for all the mods that I can get by exchanging my existing comms ( I have many ) , but for others and I guess my final few characters to some extent that isn't possible. Let's hope they increase the cap to say 200 and the weekly cap to 100 , that should help an awful lot.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• NeedsNeeds Member Posts: 5

I am FTP (actually Preferred now) since December and I got 3 Empire chars to mid 30's.   I think Taris worn me out and depressed me so I have to start another char.   This is the first time I played so I have absolutely no idea how fast it is compared to sub.  Without that knowledge, I have to say that leveling in SWTOR (even with FTP) is the fastest (by far) of any MMO I have played.   I only play about 8 to 10 hours a week.  I don't PVP and I hardly do any Flashpoint, and yet I was able to level to mid 30 with just doing all the class quests and planet quests solo.   I do bonuses for all the quests and I was about to keep up with quests level.   This is the first MMO that I don't have to go out and mindless killing random mobs to gain xp.  I don't group, but sometime I would do heroic +2 with my companion if the quest is green.

The only down side for me is the credit limit of 350k.  Everytime I went close I use them to buy inventory unlocks account wise to get 10 more slots.  But now I am at max so I have to find something else to buy.

• DavynelordDavynelord Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Needs

I am FTP (actually Preferred now) since December and I got 3 Empire chars to mid 30's.   I think Taris worn me out and depressed me so I have to start another char.   This is the first time I played so I have absolutely no idea how fast it is compared to sub.  Without that knowledge, I have to say that leveling in SWTOR (even with FTP) is the fastest (by far) of any MMO I have played.   I only play about 8 to 10 hours a week.  I don't PVP and I hardly do any Flashpoint, and yet I was able to level to mid 30 with just doing all the class quests and planet quests solo.   I do bonuses for all the quests and I was about to keep up with quests level.   This is the first MMO that I don't have to go out and mindless killing random mobs to gain xp.  I don't group, but sometime I would do heroic +2 with my companion if the quest is green.

The only down side for me is the credit limit of 350k.  Everytime I went close I use them to buy inventory unlocks account wise to get 10 more slots.  But now I am at max so I have to find something else to buy.

yeah the credit limit on f2p and prefered accounts totally sucks....this is something they need to think about changing, maybe increase the cap to 500k at least....however, the economy of this game is pretty relaxed and there aren't many things that are outrageously priced.

As for spending credits....I haven't maxed out my characters on anythingy yet...so I still buy inventory unlocks, cargo bay unlocks, warzone passes, mods for my gear, just bought a set of recruit pvp armor (each piece was about 17k - 35k each) and I spend the rest on running crafting missions and crafting stuff for my alts (I buy materials from GTN).    So as of now, I have a lot to spend my credits on...just sucks that i have to do everything in increments because of the 350k cap.....

by the way, if you go over your 250k or 350k cap, the extra goes into an escrow account which you cannot access until you subscribe to the game lol....so best to spend it up before you hit the cap unless your gonna sub anyway.

• NeedsNeeds Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Davynelord

by the way, if you go over your 250k or 350k cap, the extra goes into an escrow account which you cannot access until you subscribe to the game lol....so best to spend it up before you hit the cap unless your gonna sub anyway.

Yeah I already went over 350k twice.  At first I thought: cool, it goes into escrow!  I thought it would come back when I went below 350k... oh well. :p   I think I have about 50k in escrow which I will never see again.

I made of the mods, earrings, and implants myself so I really need to buy hilts, barrels, and relic.