Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it a good time to go back to some single player games?

allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124

So I have been absolutely addicted to MMO's for the past eight years or so, and I have pretty much tried them all, with varying levels of enjoyment.  But recently, perhaps due to my age or just the natural cycle of MMO burnout, I have been thinking about trying some single player games --- something that I have always avoided because it just seemed too damn lonely.  I am rather shy but still I like the social atmospheres of an MMO.  Because of this, I rarely find friends but when I do, it is so enjoyable and really makes or breaks a game for me, more so than the actual game in some cases.  

But now, after being severely disappointed by last year's crop of games (as well as this years early entries, although I did like Path of Exile for a bit until it got too repetitive), I am considering installing some yet-to-opened single player games that are on my bookshelf, namely: The Witcher 1 & 2, Dragon Age 1 & 2, Skyrim, and Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2.  Ya, not a one of them even opened yet.

Can anybody tell me if these are worth playing for a social misfit but socially dependent person? 

Comments

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243

I can recommend Dragon Age 1 and Neverwinter Nights 1, haven't played the others.

Yes, taking an MMO break to play some single player is not a bad thing in my experience.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Returning to single player games after many years of MMO's has really helped me a lot and completely refreshed my enthusiasm for games in general.

One thing that might help you with the social aspect is if you use facebook and/or twitter. You can start using Raptr (if you havent already) and have it share your game experiences on those social medias. Its not a big deal but at least it offers some kind of social gaming aspect. I started using Raptr after they started offering their rewards system, its actually pretty cool.

I highly reccomend Kingdoms of Amalur. =)

You also might be interested in trying the OnLive service at onlive.com. I dont know what country youre in so maybe its not supported wherever you are but you might still be able to try it. I could go on all day long about the service but give it a try if you havent before, it offers a lot of social aspects to single player gaming, one major one being the Arena which allows you to spectate other players as they play live and vice versa. Its 100% free to try and you can actually try the games in your browser. Almost every game on the service allows 30 minute trials so you can see if the service would be good for you or not.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    Originally posted by allendale5

So I have been absolutely addicted to MMO's for the past eight years or so, and I have pretty much tried them all, with varying levels of enjoyment.  But recently, perhaps due to my age or just the natural cycle of MMO burnout, I have been thinking about trying some single player games --- something that I have always avoided because it just seemed too damn lonely.  I am rather shy but still I like the social atmospheres of an MMO.  Because of this, I rarely find friends but when I do, it is so enjoyable and really makes or breaks a game for me, more so than the actual game in some cases.  

But now, after being severely disappointed by last year's crop of games (as well as this years early entries, although I did like Path of Exile for a bit until it got too repetitive), I am considering installing some yet-to-opened single player games that are on my bookshelf, namely: The Witcher 1 & 2, Dragon Age 1 & 2, Skyrim, and Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2.  Ya, not a one of them even opened yet.

Can anybody tell me if these are worth playing for a social misfit but socially dependent person? 

Funny thing to come across while browsing the threads on a MMO site, but nonetheless your plight is all too well known. While I do tip my hat off to you for mentioning simply "Last years" and "Early this year's" mmos havent been quite so enjoyable. Though as far as my opinion goes; the past decade of MMO's have been severely cut dry from from their larger market that was established post WoW. When looking at these titles that I find that its not so much as the MMO as it is the playerbase that has extremely flooded the market and has changed the demographic and purpose of MMO's. 

While playing an Alpha/Beta and Post beta I cant really list one MMO where the global/trade chat is infested with the average "WoW" playerbase nonsense of comparisons to WoW and why x game is better e.t.c. I find it that as a general overview that people just don't enjoy playing MMO's anymore. Have it be the casuals that don't have a clue about that a MMO is about because they hopped on the post vanilla WoW short bus or the nostalgia goggle weilding veterans that cry out for that good old mmo feel that are drowned out by the masses.  All the same I find myself the latter, although im done complaining because I realize what I wish for is that which is no longer possible. 

When you take a step back, gaming in general has rolled over some very big road bumps with only a few gems of the current gen of console/pc singleplayer games. Witcher 1 and 2, Demon Souls (to an extent ill add Dark Souls) and the FIRST saga of any EA game (Mass Effect 1, Dragon age 1 e.t.c.) and many more I can mention but im sure they will be brought up. Myself I got a PSVITA and I can safely say I have much too many games to play on the sucker. Every day Sony astounds me with the sheer amount of PS1, PSP titles that they throw on the marketplace all the while my wallet screeches in pain xD. 

In the end it is what it is; Ill be keeping an eye out for Archeage and im hoping FFXIV 2.0 doesnt do too bad. Myself Im a long time player of FFXI that enjoyed the social aspects of leveling/grouping and making friends, but even my last bastion fell into dispair with the release of the mini expansions of Abyssea. The game may have changed for the better but I didnt enjoy endgame back then and it stand the same to me now. Their view on leveling being the boring aspect they have hurdled players into endgame much of like the most of the current market which was the last straw for me. Despite its first expansion in 4+ years, my unsub from FFXI last week may be the last. A game that I could play for 6 month periods back in the day, i cant even find myself to play even FFXI for more than a month at a time (which is the life expetancy of my enjoyment for the last 10 years of MMO's.

In the end its best to look back on all the memorable moments we had and not forget, all the while we move forward. Have it be a RL hobby like tabletops/pen and paper RPG's or even trading cards. You can look at single player games or write that book or just spend some more time with he family all at the same time. MMO's are simple a major time sink without the enjoyment now. Myself  at the age of 24, working a manufacturing job I with no real goal or aspiration have been looking at getting back into drawing and working on a few comic book ideas Ive had in my head for the past 2-3 years. 

All in all I wish you luck OP, or anyone that actually red my wall of words/rant. 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Sorry, I'm not sure about these social criterias, so only focusing the "worth playing" part :)

The mentioned games are all good, maybe the sequels are a bit weaker but it's common with every sequel whether it's a book, a movie or a game. You can split them in two groups based on your priorities:

If you like to play through a game with a good story, then you could start with Witcher and DA, then maybe Witcher 2 (DA2 was weak imo). And of course the Witcher books are awesome as well if you'll like the setting and want to have more.

If you like to dive into an "endless" game, then start with Skyrim and NVN 1-2, they have a truckload of extra content available so you can play them for months without "completing" them. NVN could be play online with friends too (it could help on the social aspect criteria).

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

DA2 is boring. Not necessarily bad, but very bland and disappointing as a sequel. NWN1's single-player aspect is also pretty bad, because it was mostly made for online play.

The Witcher 1&2 and Dragon Age: Origins are the best games out of the ones you have IMO and they're all great.

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390

Good for you -- I did the same thing and don't regret it.   I spent almost 15 years playing nothing but MMOs, but spending time in single player land really opened my eyes to how little you get for your money in your average MMORPG.  Of the games you mentioned:

• Witcher 1: Classic game.  Can't recommend it enough.  This game will put hair on your chest.  Make sure to download the "Enhanced Edition" update.
    • Witcher 2: Didn't get very far due to the insane system requirements, but it looks fantastic.  I'm not buying another PC until Windows 8 is gone, so I'll probably pick this up for Xbox.
    • Dragon Age: Origins: Another classic, probably the best game Bioware (RIP) ever made.  Skip the DLC though.
    • Dragon Age 2: Good, but not great.  It's better if you try to forget that it's a sequel to DAO.  If you already own a copy, it's worth a playthrough.
    • Skyrim: Also a classic, but very different from the other games you mentioned in that it's more of a sandbox (in the single-player sense) and less story-driven.
    • Neverwinter Nights:  Great game but it hasn't aged well.  I'd skip it for now.  Never played NWN2, heard there were problems with it.
    Good luck and have fun!
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

If you want something completely fresh to blow your mind, buy 3D Vision rig and play games in 3D. New Tomb Raider in 3D is just incredible experience. Oculus Rift will enhance it even further.

Or you can try MUDs. They are multiplayer like MMORPGs but offer new bells and whistles. Read my short article here: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/377583/MMORPG-vet-tried-top-MUDs-and-here-to-tell-the-story.html