Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] TERA: Sauntering Through Tera

2»

Comments

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    Good article.  I like the idea of the author randomly jumping from game to game and talking about his impressions.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by MortisRex
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by bridgetjones

Most of the bosses have relatively simple mechanics that are, in practice, very difficult to execute.  There is no Deadly Boss Mod telling you the attack timers; you have to outsmart and outplay the AI of a very large, fast monster that wants you to die.  There's no global CD to stare at, there's no skill in the game that's spammable, and there's no set rotation.  You use skills based on priority, situation, and cooldowns.  The starter zone only gives a tiny, tiny taste of what the actual endgame is like.

So exactly like WoW?

You just described TERA as like playing WoW without DBM (and GCD).  SO what you are basically saying that what makes WoW easy is DBM.

And you arent incorrect,  Just like TERA a WoW boss fight is about reading the mob's tells and reacting to them.  But DBM makes it so you dont have to read the tells, just follow the addon.

The only real difference is that in TERA regular mobs can act similar to a boss, although you can brute force a lot of it if you only worry about a key ability here and there.

No, it is not exactly like WOW. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you have never played TERA. Anyone who has actually played both would not call both combat systems "exactly" alike. TERA's combat system is action oriented and requires  some aiming. Wow is typical hotbar /tab targetting orientation. Yes, you have the typical "get out of the fire" mechanics in both games for some bosses, but you also have the active dodging, blocking, parrying, etc that TERA's combat system offers. Twist it anyway you like, but the systems are not exactly alike.

Well WoW uses a prioirty system and cooldowns, which is just what i underlined.  Didnt say the combat systems were identical, just that part of it.

But the main challenge of TERA is reading the mobs cues so you can react to the attack.  Its not like TERA is lightning quick with this, most of the challenge is learning the cues themselves.  SO it boils down to this:  TERA's bosses are really only more difficult than WoW because of lack of addons to read the cues for you.

WoWs quest mobs and trash mobs are generally faceroll, and TERAs you often have to pay attention, so thats where games should learn from TERA (and EQ): easy mobs get boring.  TERAs combat isnt inherently more difficult (once past the learning curve), it just requires more focus and the mobs themselves are tougher.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

The toons are certainly top notch. But what is it saying about MMO's when Lotro has better landscapes than just about any MMO out there today? Only AoC/TSW beats Lotro for landscapes in my eyes.

Great toons and effects but landscape as with most modern MMOs seems to not be a design prioity like it used to be.

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

The thing I don't understand about Tera, is where the hell did 200 mil USD go during development? With that kind of money and the amount of skillful workforce available in South Korea, they could have made their own engine suitable for MMOs and not use Unreal Engine that was made for single player games. I bet bigshots at Bluehole Studios got some high value property during development stage.

Tera could have been so much better without the "difficulties/restrictions" of currently used engine. :/

Cheers.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Sorry Tera is a rinse and repeat..There is no "Fun" in Tera..The content is very lacking and grouping suxs...

I retired retroactively..Haha

• MagicBobMagicBob Member Posts: 3
    I tried this game but the community killed it for me.  Shame because it was fun.  
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Bumer/goga

The thing I don't understand about Tera, is where the hell did 200 mil USD go during development? With that kind of money and the amount of skillful workforce available in South Korea, they could have made their own engine suitable for MMOs and not use Unreal Engine that was made for single player games. I bet bigshots at Bluehole Studios got some high value property during development stage.

Tera could have been so much better without the "difficulties/restrictions" of currently used engine. :/

Cheers.

Art and animations mostly I'd imagine.  That game is fantastic all around when your talking about character/weapon/armor/terrain models.  The animations are top notch as well, and the monster designs are absolutely outstanding. 

I don't really see any glaring issues with the engine either.

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

Draemos They had most of the art already when they started (Lineage 3 team disbanded and most formed Bluehole). 3D art+animations can't cost that much (wages in South Korea aren't that high) plus if you'll outsource it, it will be even cheaper. They didn't have much coding to do (Unreal Engine = big part of pre-made code and again "coding experience" from L3 team). Even IF they had to do EVERYTHING from a blank page, no way it could cost that much, not in South Korea at least.

As for what I meant by "difficulties/restrictions". Haven't you noticed the linearity of all the maps? The invisible wallfest all around you? The vertical axis is so screwed up, jump is useless there. How about Nexus event that lags not only because of network lag but because Unreal Engine wasn't made for events like that? How about optimization? AMD CPUs are in a giant disadvantage compared to Intel's... that's ALL game engine related problems. Look at Aion, they had to butcher so much out of CryEngine to make it somewhat suitable for a MMO and still it has some issues with performance.

I like Tera, I play it as my main MMO atm, but I can only imagine how much better it would have been if it really was a triple-A game with a 200mil usd development budjet. /rant

Cheers.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by MagicBob
    I tried this game but the community killed it for me.  Shame because it was fun.  

i cant get it. i cant get it when some1 says that a game is ruined by its community. i think ppl became oversensitive.

i play wow and every day is a "dirge' day...

i play cod and every1  protests about campering, using this weapon or whatever...

i played also l2, swtor, rift, gw1-2, warhammer, eve (maybe an exception) and all of them, more all less, have the same matters with community.

this is a gaming world guys, not a real one. play the game if you like it and not for the community. if i like some1 in game its ok. if i dont its ok again. i wont speak him again. i can block him, mute him, close entire channels or whatever.

i just cant understand what some1 who joins an online game looking to find. get married? naaah, i m marriede and i have a MOTHER in LAW...so dont...just play the games :)

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

barrans chat was ONE zone and it's legendray how bad it got.  Why do ppl act surprised when a global chat that encompasses the whole game is bad ? Global chat is the worst thing any game can add to it's community. It's totally poison.

The real community in tera is just like every other game. It's the ppl you meet questing and doing dungeons. They're there to play the game not farm up as much attention as they can get by saying stupid shit in general chat. Those people are losers and they're in every game. They just don't have the ability to put on as big of a show in games that don't have poorly designed chat features.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    TERA is quite simply the best FTP game out there at the moment. Infact one of the best mmos around irrespective of payment model!
  • gezodiacgezodiac Member Posts: 5
    Game literally falls apart once you get passed the only thing good is the combat. Like SWToR with the voice acting being the only thing that received some developer attention the combat is the only thing in Tera that received developer attention as well.
  • ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

the game is fun but you have to leave AREA/GLOBAL chat off. It gets so bad. Its the worst chat in any mmo there is out there. No you can say anything..ANYTHING there is no GM no one that stops it. There are now young people that play and ..its so bad you cant even say the things here. I dont mean colorful 4 letter words for thats NOTHING to the stuff you read each day every server and on EU's.

I tried EU's hoping it would be better.. was the same people talking they were gay and everything they do and would do.. and people talking what they would do with elin..you know the little girl looking toon.

So leave chat off and the game is fun.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    This article needs some serious editing work.  Clicking the spell-check button once and calling it a day does not make you a good writer.

You make me like charity

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    I bought this game when it first came out, but didn't play but for a couple of weeks, since other MMO's were coming out too. I did plan to come back to it, and when I'm done with or tired of TSW, I'll check it out again. The combat actually IS fun, and the world is amazingly beautiful. Definitely a world I want to explore. Everything else though? Meh. Standard MMO-fare.
  • ThegoodlolThegoodlol Member CommonPosts: 64
    This game is not good for the "alt-holic", since you only start with 2 character slots, and if you want to have all of the available classes, which are 8, you would have to pay about 30€ per a single slot. That is quite expensive if you ask me. Quite unfortunate.
  • ddkasimirddkasimir Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Originally posted by Thegoodlol
    This game is not good for the "alt-holic", since you only start with 2 character slots, and if you want to have all of the available classes, which are 8, you would have to pay about 30€ per a single slot. That is quite expensive if you ask me. Quite unfortunate.

You do realize this game is ftp so you could always make more than one account, and have as many characters as u want.

• ferityferity Member Posts: 4

Game play in tera is very very good but the one thing that is lettig this game down as a viable option is Gameforge for the EU servers. They have no support and ignore the player base they will take money fro your bank or credit card then when they do not deliver the products you have bought you are ignored. The game is fantastic and i really enjoy the game but cant recommend the EU servers due to the lack of any support.

Yes i know it is FTP but when you pay for items they should be delivered in a resonable time you should not have to wait a month or more for items that should be delivered within an hour at most.

You cannot make a complaint on there own forums as these are closed right away or deleted and they will then ban you for no other reason than you a a legtimate compaint to make.

As i have said in this review the game is great but it is the company that is making it a bad experiance and i would recommend anyone wanting to play tera to play but dont expect anything from Gameforge is things go wrong.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by DamonVile

barrans chat was ONE zone and it's legendray how bad it got.  Why do ppl act surprised when a global chat that encompasses the whole game is bad ? Global chat is the worst thing any game can add to it's community. It's totally poison.

The real community in tera is just like every other game. It's the ppl you meet questing and doing dungeons. They're there to play the game not farm up as much attention as they can get by saying stupid shit in general chat. Those people are losers and they're in every game. They just don't have the ability to put on as big of a show in games that don't have poorly designed chat features.

great post.  

altho i like having a global chat option.  wish people who think its so bad in Tera would simply turn it off and focus on the game.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• HumphrieHumphrie Member Posts: 123
    I tried it for 20 minutes back in the beta and said 'thanks but no thanks.' The doding mechanic is not fun. It doesn't force you to think; it doesn't really test you as a player; it's just another bit of silliness tossed on top of an otherwise extremely bland MMO. There's a reason this puppy went F2P in the blink of an eye, and it isn't because it's some shining gem.
  • TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234
    It recalls me a lot of the anime show .hack//

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
    Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!

• RoxOnFireRoxOnFire Member UncommonPosts: 32

I play Tera and I enjoy it immensely.I am waiting for more new content to arrive.But I will tell you,while I was playing War of the Immortals back then,I first heard of Tera coming out soon.When it did,I waited for the F2P. But still bought founder and elite.This game is actually really good with the graphics,customization,combat,and yes even queing for dungeons.No 1 character is the same as you can customize to your hearts content,thru the cash shop, the marketplace,or through winning in events. There are plenty of mounts,which is another plus.There are pets, there are also little creatures that can follow you around for your extra storage space.There is plenty of great stuff in this game.Yes, global chat is sometimes annoying as in EVERY GAME.BUT. you won't see gold sellers,or spammers trying to sell you illegal crap. You always have the option of turning off global chat. I've got about 16 characters on this game,all different classes and races to play. Recently,they had a test come out last week in which you added the words .Levelup to a new character and you gained a lvl 58 automatically.So, if people didn't want to go through the questing,they could easily lvl to 60.Yes that comes with the prob of ppl not knowing their skills but hey,if its FREE why not grab one?

One thing I really like about it is the fact that 1 guild cannot camp all the  bosses and run the whole server as in War of the Immortals or Battle of the Immortals and just ruin the gameplay for everyone. Take my word: when  the lvl cap gets raised,this game will be even better than it is. Which is very good right now.

I find it entertaining when people say they are 'too lazy' to move more than once or twice for combat play. Or that the global chat is horrible so they won't play the game.Or talking about how much the game cost to develop.

@Martavolve- you really have a LOT of complaints about Tera. Seems like you must not enjoy ANYTHING about gaming.

No 1 game will please everyone's tastes,but Tera comes very close to having the majority of pluses people want to see in a game.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Nice read, I too agree it's worth giving it a try, love it or hate it, it's free so there's not much to lose.

I will warn you though, if you're not a fan of standard MMO quest hub leveling... this is a painful one to reach max level in, also the combat starts off a lot slower than it should, it certainly picks up as you go along.

Took me and the hub  2 months for our first lvl 60 characters and  3 weeks to reach lvl 60 on our 2nd characters.