Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] EVE Online: Ten Years & Half a Million Subscribers

13»

Comments

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    I enjoyed my time there a lot but not sure if/when I may return. May be done with it finally but it keeps that draw on me.
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by eric_w66

Half a million accounts, 50,000 subscribers ;). No other game encourages multiple account ownership like CCP (who even run specials on new second accounts at discounted monthly rates).

As long as the guy responsible for the email that said something like 'Don't pay attention to what players say, just what they do' is in charge (aka monocle-gate), I will not be resubbing my two accounts.

"The guy responsible" also made a public admission that he was dead wrong, apologised to the community, sucked it up and changed the direction CCP was going in. Since then, EVE has been on a steep upward tracjectory, and CCP have been doing almost everything right.

What more do you want?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Originally posted by zeropride

yea for alts online! 

Seriously though given CCPs excruciating slow development pace you would think they have have <100k subs.

There are multiple below par T1 ships that prbably wont be tweaked anytime soon. 

Oh really? Since the "tiercide" project started, CCP have rebalanced T2 Assault Frigates, the entire T1 Frigate line, the entire T1 Cruiser line and all 8 of the tier I & II T1 Battlecruisers. That's 8+20+12+8 = 48 ships rebalanced already. Meanwhile black Ops BS have received a band-aid buff to jump range and fuel use.  

Tier III Battlecruisers, T1 Battleships and T1 Industrials are due for rebalancing in the summer expansion (ie: within 3 months). After which, they'll start on the T2 ships, again going from Frigates -> Cruisers - > Battlecruisers

CCP Fozzie has also said that rebalancing will be a continuous process. After the last line of ships is rebalanced, they'll start all over again with the T1 frigates, because by then the metagame will have changed, and they'll need another balancing pass.

I think perhaps your assumptions are a little out of date, sir. If you think not, then I'd be interested to know which T1 ships are you referring to, exactly.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

Congrats CCP!

I've tried EVE several times throughout the year but can never really get into it. But that doesn't change the fact that this is one hell of an accomplishment.

Keep up the good work CCP!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Half a million accounts, 50,000 subscribers ;)No other game encourages multiple account ownership like CCP (who even run specials on new second accounts at discounted monthly rates).

No other MMO is willing to leave that kind of money on the table. The fact is that a lot of MMO gamers have multiple accounts, CCP is just one of the few that acknowledges and supports that playstyle.

This is where bizarre gamer math comes in. You don't know ANY other numbers for ANY other MMOs on multiple account owners. Hell, you don't even know EVE's, but since CCP offers discounts for those players, your assumption is that EVE has far more than anyone else. Actually, in no other game do people question alts when talking about sub numbers. Out of sight, out of mind. ;)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TommiJyurroTommiJyurro Member Posts: 51

This is awesome news, CCP!

Now, with the continuing march forward, maybe a small but dedicated team can be assigned to the Incarna aspect of the game?  The spaceships aspect of the game is going strong, and is beinh enhanced by many of the changes taking place, most of which are very logical.  Maybe an eye can be turned towards the internal space-station environments?  

Anything new here? Hmmm... Nope. o/

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by TommiJyurro

Now, with the continuing march forward, maybe a small but dedicated team can be assigned to the Incarna aspect of the game?  The spaceships aspect of the game is going strong, and is beinh enhanced by many of the changes taking place, most of which are very logical.  Maybe an eye can be turned towards the internal space-station environments?  

It's likely being worked on by a small number of devs in conjuction with the Dust 514 devs because the goal is one day for Dust 514 mercs to be able to have face to face meetings with EVE players to discuss more heated agreements, at least that's what I got from one of their presentations (granted I'd also love to say Dust 514 being integrated more fully into EVE, even to the point of having the option of launching boarding parties XD).

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Half a million accounts, 50,000 subscribers ;)No other game encourages multiple account ownership like CCP (who even run specials on new second accounts at discounted monthly rates).

No other MMO is willing to leave that kind of money on the table. The fact is that a lot of MMO gamers have multiple accounts, CCP is just one of the few that acknowledges and supports that playstyle.

This is where bizarre gamer math comes in. You don't know ANY other numbers for ANY other MMOs on multiple account owners. Hell, you don't even know EVE's, but since CCP offers discounts for those players, your assumption is that EVE has far more than anyone else. Actually, in no other game do people question alts when talking about sub numbers. Out of sight, out of mind. ;)

Great post and so true.

• TommiJyurroTommiJyurro Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by TommiJyurro

It's likely being worked on by a small number of devs in conjuction with the Dust 514 devs because the goal is one day for Dust 514 mercs to be able to have face to face meetings with EVE players to discuss more heated agreements, at least that's what I got from one of their presentations (granted I'd also love to say Dust 514 being integrated more fully into EVE, even to the point of having the option of launching boarding parties XD).

Ohhh, if only...  Hmmm...  We can be real space pirates then...  Space herpies anyone?

Anything new here? Hmmm... Nope. o/

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by FromHell

Niche games live longer and continue to grow in population. Congrats CCP!

To be honest I am surprised this game has anywhere near this kind of success.....While I understand that some players like a deeper game and even the risk/reward premise of the game, I jsut dont understand how people find it fun being a spaceship......Also how can someone who has played 6 months compete with someone who has played 10 years in a game where skills are improved offline?

Originally posted by Theocritus

To be honest I am surprised this game has anywhere near this kind of success.....While I understand that some players like a deeper game and even the risk/reward premise of the game, I jsut dont understand how people find it fun being a spaceship......

I think a good part of that is that the ones finding it find probably don't see it as being a spaceship. They see it as being part of a community.

For me, EVE is a lot like UO in that I'm able to get engaged in and be part of a something bigger than my character. When talking with other EVE players in-game, at Fanfest or at player gatherings, I hear that sentiment echoed a lot from the veteran players.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    I really should get into this game.. have played a few times over the years but never spent that much time playing.. time to change that i think.

If ya need help I'll be heading back to EVE in mid march ^^.

"In addition, convention attendees will have a chance to take part in an epic in-game event that CCP is keeping under its hat for the time being." - I think this might be linked to either Incursions, Sleepers, Jovians, maybe all 3 especially considering the existence of the SoCT cruiser/battlecruiser on the test server currently.

I got a feeling it's going to be dust related. 

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161

To be honest I am surprised this game has anywhere near this kind of success.....While I understand that some players like a deeper game and even the risk/reward premise of the game, I jsut dont understand how people find it fun being a spaceship

that's sad really, I guess Elite Dangerous is dead in the water : (

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

To be honest I am surprised this game has anywhere near this kind of success.....While I understand that some players like a deeper game and even the risk/reward premise of the game, I jsut dont understand how people find it fun being a spaceship......Also how can someone who has played 6 months compete with someone who has played 10 years in a game where skills are improved offline?

Conversely, I don't understand how people find it fun being a pair of cartoonishly gigantic shoulder pads.  I guess to each his own. :)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

...Also how can someone who has played 6 months compete with someone who has played 10 years in a game where skills are improved offline?

It is very possible, and has been explained in the EVE forums previously, so can't derail this thread to elaborate but know that 6 month old characters kill 10 year old characters routinely. 

It's part of the quiet brilliance that is EVE.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I know that the times I tried eve I didn't "think I was a spaceship" but thought that I was "in a spaceship". Big difference to me.

I love that they have achieved this success. Goes to prove that if you know your audience and build toward that audience you can be successful.

The game is beautiful but I had no luck. I can't remember exactly how it went down (as I thought I'd be more safe in beginner space)  but I was a beginner and ended up being destroyed and losing my canister of ore. wasn't too big a deal but it happened several times and I wasn't quite sure what I was doing as the interface was really tiny and hard to see so I passed. But I love that the game is going strong.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

It's hillarious around here. Blizz posts numbers and there's thread after thread of conspiracy tripping. CCP posts a number that anyone who has played the game knows is somewhat disengenous -- No, they do not have half a million individual subscribers. Half a million paying accounts, perhaps, but that's not the same thing -- and anyone who points it out gets insta-nuked from orbit.

Frankly I think it would be interesting to know just how many individual subscribers they do have, just for curiosity's sake.

In any event, grats to CCP for their continued growth. I'll probably be back in three months, when I've once again fogotten just how ungodly boring most of the game is and decide to give Eve yet another go.

Originally posted by Sovrath

The game is beautiful but I had no luck. I can't remember exactly how it went down (as I thought I'd be more safe in beginner space)  but I was a beginner and ended up being destroyed and losing my canister of ore. wasn't too big a deal but it happened several times and I wasn't quite sure what I was doing as the interface was really tiny and hard to see so I passed. But I love that the game is going strong.

EVE's interface was too tiny for you? Join the club. :)    

Some of the changes made in recent expansions include scalable UI, more intuitive interface elements and a lot more feedback on what is going on, especially in combat. It's so much better than it was a few years ago.

How can someone who has only played WoW for 6 months compete with someone who has played for 8 years and has a character of every class max leveled and geared?

EVE doesn't have character levels. You don't get any advantage purely for having 10 years of skillpoints; you only have skills, and they can only be trained to level 5. There are a finite number of skills that can apply to any ship you're flying, and once you have them all at 5, that's it, you're "level-capped". All you can do after that is train up for different ships - the equivalent of grinding up a new alt in WoW, but no matter how many other ships you can fly, that won't make you one tiny bit better in the ship you're in now, just as an 8 year WoW player doesn't receive any advantge to the character he's logged into now, regardless of how many other L:85 alts he has.

So the advantage a veteran player has over you at 6 months is that he can choose from a wider number of ships to bring to the gang, not that he's going to be better than you in your chosen ship. Just like the WoW vet can log off his maxed Hunter and bring a maxed Pally if the raid needs a tank; in this analogy, you'd be trying to tank with your maxed Hunter, or your group would have to try tactics that didn't stress tanking.