Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the Hate?

I really like this game and it has been getting mostly better in the 5 months I have been playing.  I really don't understand the hate I'm seeing here. Is that just standard for the MMORPG forums or something?

The development model is different than most but the combat is just plain fun. What gives?

Comments

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Did you try reading the comments of posters or are you basing your assumption on hype level?

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

I can say I honestly dont hate the game.   I just gave up on it.  

Its not what they hyped it up to be, and I am talking PGI.   So I put it down and walked away, because I have seen this song and dance before. 

"Give us money, give us money, we are working on it making it better, it will have this and that, and it will be perfect..."

Meanwhile a few months later, and the same bugs are in game and the same lack of features but new pretty colors.

"Give us money, give us money, we are working on it, making it better, it will have this and that, and it will be perfect..."

Rinse and repeat.

I seen it with Mortal Online, WWIIOnline and several other MMOs that are now dead.   I think PGI had good intentions but bit off WAY more than they could chew with the franchise and the scope they were originally shooting for.   Its sad but I dont think there will be a true Mechwarrior Online game outside of MWLL, or if EA remakes Multi-Player Battletech: 3025.  

So much crap, so little quality.

• codejackcodejack Member Posts: 208
    Originally posted by joker965

I really like this game and it has been getting mostly better in the 5 months I have been playing. 

I have seen the exact opposite; no bug fixes, more new bugs, just plain moronic decisions RE: balance, and while if was fun back in closed beta, ever since "open beta" (what BS), it has just gone straight to hell.

It doesn't help that the devs just flat out insult the player-base evey time they open their mouths; ECM has been STUPID broken ever since it came out, and the devs won't even admit that there is a problem, much less commit to fixing it, and now they're steadily fucking up the rest of the game trying to change everything else so that ECM seems OK.

They won't even answer questions, they just post something completely unrelated to the issue that was brought up, claim that they answered the question, and lock the thread.

Well, I'm old school; the earlier, real Mechwarrior games were my all-time favorites, and this is just insulting to the franchise. I will be doing everything I can here and on every other gaming forum to kill this game so that someone else will have a chance to make a decent Mechwarrior MMO.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I don't like it because it is just world of tanks with maps that seem smaller, and a static viewpoint. I was hoping it would be more of an open world game. When I played it I saw it wasn't. I don't hate it though, it's just not good imo.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by codejack

I really like this game and it has been getting mostly better in the 5 months I have been playing. 

I have seen the exact opposite; no bug fixes, more new bugs, just plain moronic decisions RE: balance, and while if was fun back in closed beta, ever since "open beta" (what BS), it has just gone straight to hell.

It doesn't help that the devs just flat out insult the player-base evey time they open their mouths; ECM has been STUPID broken ever since it came out, and the devs won't even admit that there is a problem, much less commit to fixing it, and now they're steadily fucking up the rest of the game trying to change everything else so that ECM seems OK.

They won't even answer questions, they just post something completely unrelated to the issue that was brought up, claim that they answered the question, and lock the thread.

Well, I'm old school; the earlier, real Mechwarrior games were my all-time favorites, and this is just insulting to the franchise. I will be doing everything I can here and on every other gaming forum to kill this game so that someone else will have a chance to make a decent Mechwarrior MMO.

And this is an example of first adopters that are more a fan of the IP than the genre really showing why they are considered a double-edged sword and make terrible gardeners. Some would rather stomp, piss on and uproot anything they've helped planted in the first few months if it doesn't show the kind of growth they deem acceptable or isn't a good enough representation of the IP they are fans of.

It really explains why, in some cases, players hold such deep hatred for mmos. Maybe these feelings are easily transferrable from mmo to mmo and thus explains a lot of the negatively we see on these boards. Oh well. I played the beta and it didn't really quite suit my taste, but I don't feel the need to bash and kill it before it has a chance to grow. And this is coming from someone who regularly played at the Battletech center at Navy Pier in Chicago in the 90's.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by Ramonski7

And this is an example of first adopters that are more a fan of the IP than the genre really showing why they are considered a double-edged sword and make terrible gardeners. Some would rather stomp, piss on and uproot anything they've helped planted in the first few months if it doesn't show the kind of growth they deem acceptable or isn't a good enough representation of the IP they are fans of.

Not exactly; I understand that each iteration will make certain changes,and I have no problem with that. I have a problem when the changes are unbalancing.

ECM is a case in point: In every other MW game, there was a back-and-forth between ECM, BAP, NARC, TAG, and Artemis systems; in MWO, ECM counters everything and there is no reason to use any of the other systems because you run into ECM pretty much every round.

It would be different if there were any plans to address the issues, but they don't even admit that the problems exist. Netcode is "fixed;" oh, it's still there, but you aren't allowed to talk about it because they "fixed" it. They "solved" the crash to desktop bug; you still crash to the desktop, but it's not a bug, anymore apparently.

I could go on, but I'm sick of talking about it. Here's hoping it dies a quick and painful death, opening up the franchise to people with IQs higher than their shoe size.

• joker965joker965 Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

Not exactly; I understand that each iteration will make certain changes,and I have no problem with that. I have a problem when the changes are unbalancing.

ECM is a case in point: In every other MW game, there was a back-and-forth between ECM, BAP, NARC, TAG, and Artemis systems; in MWO, ECM counters everything and there is no reason to use any of the other systems because you run into ECM pretty much every round.

It would be different if there were any plans to address the issues, but they don't even admit that the problems exist. Netcode is "fixed;" oh, it's still there, but you aren't allowed to talk about it because they "fixed" it. They "solved" the crash to desktop bug; you still crash to the desktop, but it's not a bug, anymore apparently.

I could go on, but I'm sick of talking about it. Here's hoping it dies a quick and painful death, opening up the franchise to people with IQs higher than their shoe size.

I don't understand your perspective at all. Sorry. Your completely incorrect that there are no plans to correct problems. The counters to ECM are being added and tweaked right now. 

The #1 thing that PGI was doing wrong was how it was communicating with the community. They are doing better. 

They might not succeed but I think there is some chance MWO could become a really good game.

You don't have to pay any money to play and spending a small ammount makes a big difference.

I'm very interested in what games you actually think are good? Are there any?

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Just a boring FPS you grind XP to get unlocks that has no more a future than any other FPS game. Of course you could go the route of wasting your money but you are fool if you think it matters.

I don't understand your perspective at all. Sorry. Your completely incorrect that there are no plans to correct problems. The counters to ECM are being added and tweaked right now. 

No; no, no, no, no, no! The "counters" are nothing of the kind!

Again, this is a case of them ignoring the actual problem and "fixing" things that aren't relevant.

Oh, so a PPC will counter ECM for 5 seconds? That would be really interesting, if it were at all practical to hit the small, fast light mechs with PPCs in the first place, and even then 5 seconds isn't long enough to get a lock, fire, and have the missiles get there, assuming that the ECM mech isn't actually faster than the missiles!

Oh, so 15,000 GXP and a 2mil c-bill module will extend the range you can detect ECM up to a whole 250m? Again, if it were at all practical to keep small, fast mechs in a certain range to begin with, that might even make sense.

What about ECM cutting off communication for PUGs but not for premades? What about it completely locking down 3 different chassis', i.e. they are literally unable to fight ECM mechs without help from teammates? What about ECM doing far, FAR more than it did in any previous battletech/mechwarrior game, while BAP, Artemis, and NARC are all far weaker.

ECM even counters TAG! It never did that! That doesn't even make sense, from any perspective; it violates the rules, it violates balance, and it violates the laws of physics.

Half of all "serious" players (8-man teams, by the devs' own admission) play ECM mechs, and almost all of those are 2 chassis', out of over 50. So, 40% of "serious" players run4% of the available mechs. That doesn't just "suggest" that something is wrong, it spells it out in huge letters in the night sky in man-made supernovae.

The game is broken, and PGI won't even acknowledge the problems. It is dead.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

MWO is still a fantastic game with some rough edges in the very beginning.

The big weakness of PGI is how they handle ECM that really the majority hates.

Aside of that the game gets more polish, the last patch did wonders to the stability and performance of the game.
    The balance is ongoing and recently they tweaked Big-Energy-Weapons to give them more usability.
    Matchmaking will become more new player friendly next week, a training map is coming etc.

Yeah, they are behind the schedule - but what Devs are not behind the schedule?

You cant do anything wrong playing the game bcs its a real F2P title!

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    hate is what this place is for.
  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    I enjoy the game. No hate from me. The people who complain about ECM are just bad at the game and rely on LRMs or Streaks.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

Originally posted by Thorqemada

The big weakness of PGI is how they handle ECM that really the majority hates.

No, ECM is just the most obvious symptom.

Aside of that the game gets more polish, the last patch did wonders to the stability and performance of the game.

Goddamit, Thorq, that is not happening! You and about half a dozen other guys are claiming that, and for all I know, it helped all of you, but all I have seen is the bugs change, slightly, and that's all I hear in game, Guess what? The disconnects people complain about? Those are mostly CTDs.

I still crash every 3-4 rounds, I still get the 4 fps, black screen, yellow screen, no HUD sometimes after power cycle, missiles hitting me through objects...

Excuse me, I was getting those bugs as of 2 days ago. Garth just perma-banned me for not showing him the proper deference (i.e. pointing out that his answer to a question wasn't relevant, politely and including an apology for my earlier behavior), so I now have a moral issue patronizing this company.

The balance is ongoing and recently they tweaked Big-Energy-Weapons to give them more usability.

They changed 3 numbers in a spreadsheet; I'm not saying that it didn't need to be done, but it could have been done in any free 30 second gap they had in their schedule in the last 6 months. If they are actually that busy, and this garbage is the result, they aren't doing anyone any good, themselves included.

You cant do anything wrong playing the game bcs its a real F2P title!

Except that if you ever want to get the most out of more than one chassis, you have to pay money, which I would have been more than happy to do, but my list of reasons for not doing so just kept getting longer, not shorter:

1) The game is unbalanced. This was my first objection, still BY FAR the biggest problem with the game, and has been steadily getting worse for 2 months, now. It all started when they doubled armor; they should have made the weapons weaker and/or harder to use.

2) The single game mode is not fun. Conquest is not another game mode, it is an option for the single game mode. I can't fault the choice of simple PvP for a demo, but CW is only half a step up and a real game needs a story line. A cooperative quest arc spanning the Clan invasion would have been easy, straightforward (you don't even have to write the frigging scenarios, just read the books!), and fun. The expansions are already there, it wouldn't have been any harder than implementing Conquest mode, would it?

3) The community is terrible, and that is entirely PGI's fault. By denying the existence of bugs that other players were exploiting, it lead to a monstrous schism in the playerbase that wound up fighting it out in the forums. Of course, with the mods on the side of the exploiters, the rest of us lost.

4) PGI's attitude. Garth quoted SARNA.net to support their implementation of ECM... leaving out the paragraph explicitly stating that it didn't affect missiles or TAG, like it does in MWO. 

Look, I'm sorry, I've already wasted too much of my life on this game. If you like it, good for you, just know that it won't be around long if this keeps up.

• LanessarLanessar Member Posts: 87

I've been a Founder since CB, and personally, I just got tired of the bug fixes which created more problems than they fixed, introducing new bugs at a higher rate than bugs were squashed, and lack of dev communication to player issues. The balancing steps being taken are also piss-poor, and show very little thought behind the "get the problem fixed" mode. I'd get into details, but I already did that a couple of months ago (maths, spreadsheets, etc.) and it didn't go anywhere.

Features on their own feature roadmap get pushed out, pushed out, then drop off and are never heard from again. Not to mention that the main draw (community warfare) hyped isn't being discussed one little bit. And the game sort of needs CW to make it an actual "MMO" - right now, it's just a deathmatch game with robots (yes, all modes, since very few win Conquest by resource collection).

There are essentially two things you can advance in this game: XP and Cbills. XP gets old and tired after mastering a few chassis, and cap out the lacklustre "pilot" modules. After that, it's just money. And that's not really enough to keep me dropping onto the maps.

Other than being in "beta", and having no real longevity, it's a good game. I'm just not willing to click on my "start premium time" button until there is actually more of a game present - something that makes me want to keep playing.

Just an FYI, logged in to check out the new patch, played a round on the splatcat (and OOOOH! the hate!):

On enemy base fighting an ECM Spider, so I can't call for backup; I catch him with 2 alphas (90 damage each) to the face while he is caught up running into buildings, had just dropped from jumpjetting, etc. 

Then his friends come over the ridge (Frozen City Night), a Hunchback and a Trebuchet, each of which get off one shot before I kill them (hint: Artemis sucks; you get better concentration without it).

Now, back on the Spider, another minute and 4 more alphas and he finally dies. Cap the base, win the round...

I get credit for 475 damage. 

Now, even assuming that every missile I launched at the Hunchback and Trebuchet hit (unlikely), that's only 180 damage, leaving 295 damage unaccounted for.

Spiders can have a maximum of 210 armor, but usually only go with ~150, especially when they are loading an ERPPC, and have another half of that for internals, taking us up to ~225... spread across the entire mech....?

I think the devs are cheating. I don't know how, and I cn't imagine WHY, but there it is.

• WyrdsoulWyrdsoul Member UncommonPosts: 26

in regard to the original question, I agree became a Founder and every time I log in everythings seems to be getting better. 

Love the fact that I've still not started my premium time and mechs seem to becoming more and more fluid. 

Sure there's alot  still to be done , just remeber it's in BETA !!!!

If the enemy Mech has ammo based weapons and this ammo explodes its counted toward your damage result and it can give a boost of a few hundred points in a match.
    Afaik 1 ton of ammo is worth 20 points of damage so most ammo based Mechs have 4 to 6 tons of ammo (some big LRM boats even up to 15 tons).
    That way you get occasionaly really high damage output for some matches.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Mechwarrior is a very popular brand.  You have to expect a lot of opinionated people.

When I first heard they were making an mmorpg out of the franchise, I was excited too.  They just took it in a completely different direction than I hoped so I never bothered playing.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by dave6660

Mechwarrior is a very popular brand.  You have to expect a lot of opinionated people.

When I first heard they were making an mmorpg out of the franchise, I was excited too.  They just took it in a completely different direction than I hoped so I never bothered playing.

Correction, BATTLETECH is a popular brand, Mechwarrior is a sub-brand off of that brand. 

So much crap, so little quality.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Hodo
    Originally posted by dave6660

Correction, BATTLETECH is a popular brand, Mechwarrior is a sub-brand off of that brand. 

It is still very popular.. In fact it is so popular that a long running mod was made in it's name. Infact it is so popular that i know a lot of people who do not know what Battletech is... But they still love Mechwarrior.

BT on the other hand have the sort of fanatical that scares developers.

This have been a good conversation

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    In the end, this is just another of many titles that failed to deliver. Which is what many people expected. It will simply continue the slide into irrelevancy and F2P forgettability. Too bad, decent IP, "meh" game.
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    In the end, this is just another of many titles that failed to deliver. Which is what many people expected. It will simply continue the slide into irrelevancy and F2P forgettability. Too bad, decent IP, "meh" game.

I know, it's just so frustrating because the franchise has so much potential, and it will probably be another decade before another group gets the chance to make another one, with no guarantee that they will be any more talented than the group of liars and poltroons who gave us this piece of garbage.

It galls me to say it, but Micro$oft should have made it themselves.

• vieplis666vieplis666 Member Posts: 33
    Game is plain brainless pvp, there is nothing more, internet have tonns of similar games, spec ops, tanks, planes but its ok if i like to shoot without thinking much i can take one for some time, bad thing in this game is very bad controls its unplayable, i predict shutdown if they not change controls, for now game is only for pura fanatics who will learn months how to control theit mech, 2nd its pure pay to win, paid mechs last to the end and shooting each other head to head without a scrach most of the battle when othersdie after ONE hit, go and try this super ballance free players vs pay to win noobs, waste of time there is nothing about mechwarrior universe just a copy/paste looks ! Mech warrior 4 if im not wrong still can play online, this old game have right good controls and more exciting, why its so hard to make controls like in hawken(its another brainless fps without anything in just pvp ,but its not pay to win yet) or other games with standard controls.

Originally posted by vieplis666
    Game is plain brainless pvp, there is nothing more, internet have tonns of similar games, spec ops, tanks, planes but its ok if i like to shoot without thinking much i can take one for some time, bad thing in this game is very bad controls its unplayable, i predict shutdown if they not change controls, for now game is only for pura fanatics who will learn months how to control theit mech, 2nd its pure pay to win, paid mechs last to the end and shooting each other head to head without a scrach most of the battle when othersdie after ONE hit, go and try this super ballance free players vs pay to win noobs, waste of time there is nothing about mechwarrior universe just a copy/paste looks ! Mech warrior 4 if im not wrong still can play online, this old game have right good controls and more exciting, why its so hard to make controls like in hawken(its another brainless fps without anything in just pvp ,but its not pay to win yet) or other games with standard controls.

This quoted posting at whole is very wrong.
    I feel sad for the fact that people have fun to troll games for the sake of trolling.

Originally posted by vieplis666

This quoted posting at whole is very wrong.
    I feel sad for the fact that people have fun to troll games for the sake of trolling.

Seems pretty accurate to me.