Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vendetta Online's Kickstarter fails - still a great game

PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Last Sunday was hard; watching the game I've followed and played since 2003 fall short of its Kickstarter goal, raising $57k of 100. Apparently, in Kickstarter-land, only about 1 in 10 projects pass the 30% mark and still fail to be funded.  Vendetta happened to be in that statistic.

Does this mean the game is over? No... most emphatically.

The following video is of a Nation War (number 355) that took place last Sunday during the final hours of the Kickstarter.  It's worth a look as it gives a feel of what the combat in VO is like, and lets you see a player-constructed Trident (captial ship) in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFUzbNHkkUg

If you have 10 minutes or so, give it a look.  It answers some questions like "what's the combat like?" and "does anybody play?"  The fact that I'm in it only makes it better image

The devs are still planning to go for some of the goals outlined in the Kickstarter, although we may have to wait longer for some of them to be realized.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Comments

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Looks interesting. Maybe they can get the other money doing early access/pay for beta.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Dude you may love the game... but it looks pretty bad... it hasn't aged well... the combat mechanics look archaic... and unless they go free to play.. the population is worse than some Ultima Online private shards...

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Heh... well, if something isn't broke, don't fix it (as the saying goes).  The combat has enough depth to have kept my interest for over 9 years, and I feel as though I'm still improving.  There are a variety of "combat masters" to be found in game that can only be learned from by studying their art, mastering their principles, and applying them in tactical settings. image

F2P is a mixed bag, as I'm sure you can agree, and although I'm not particularly a fan of that business model I understand there are many that are (a recent thread claimed the "f2p population" outnumbered the p2p crowd by 6 to 1).  I prefer to pay for unlimited access to the game, which is the model VO currently follows (except for the "Lite" sub available via Android).

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

Heh... well, if something isn't broke, don't fix it (as the saying goes).  The combat has enough depth to have kept my interest for over 9 years, and I feel as though I'm still improving.  There are a variety of "combat masters" to be found in game that can only be learned from by studying their art, mastering their principles, and applying them in tactical settings. image

F2P is a mixed bag, as I'm sure you can agree, and although I'm not particularly a fan of that business model I understand there are many that are (a recent thread claimed the "f2p population" outnumbered the p2p crowd by 6 to 1).  I prefer to pay for unlimited access to the game, which is the model VO currently follows (except for the "Lite" sub available via Android).

For example a F2P system that would work for VO: limited free accounts (say they only get access to all light ships and 2 mediums or they could add in 2 new lights and 1 medium which are sub par preformance wise to the other existing ships, subbers get access to them, f2pers get only access to them and their main thing as it were would be that they could do anything but not very well), subbed accounts and a system similar to eve's plex system, a subber could buy a 30 day GTC, transfer it into the game and sell it for ingame currency to a limited account. Boom, F2P but you still get to pay for it and get the same deal and have more people to shoot at.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

did even know there was a kickstarter campaign for it :(

probally would have backed it as it was not a bad game back in the day..

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

If the first video wasn't convincing, here is a PvP compilation by the same author (not me).  He is mainly using heavy setups in 3rd person mode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjYU99E4AJc

Notice the physics, particularly momentum and force.  This is partly what makes combat in VO so engaging, for me and others that enjoy the game.  VO also features a single galaxy where players from all different platforms (Android, Windows, Mac, Linux, PC, WinRT) interact in a sandbox environment.