Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] EVE Online: Ten Years & Half a Million Subscribers

Comments

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Mithrundir
    Just played Eve for the past 3 months, my thrid time playing it. I love the game but when all you do is pvp in a large coalition you wait around for fleet pings more often than you actually fight. Not to mention the roams that take hours just to get no fights. I'll return in the summer when the carrier skills are changed up a bit, but one can only take so much of 75% waiting, 15% traveling, and 10% pvp.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.  This is exactly the number one reason I leave EVE every couple of months.  I'll sit around getting nostalgic about all the awesome fights I've had in the game, and forget that it can take a week of solid playing to get one good fight.  Then I get back to the game and remember just how boring all of the sitting around and waiting can be, or just how boring all the flying through systems full of people who won't fight you can be.

Like I've said before, EVE is simultaneously the most exciting and most boring game you'll ever play.  When you're in a great fight and not sure if you're gonna come out the other side with your ship, your heart is pounding and then you win and it's exhilerating.  Except it took you four hours of flying around low sec trying to find something other than an instagib Tier 3 sniper BC fleet to fight you.

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    World of tanks (40 mil).

[mod edit]

No WoT actually did hit 40 mil registerd accounts. Doesn't mean anywhere near that many people actually play of course.

Anyway, good for EVE.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Just played Eve for the past 3 months, my thrid time playing it. I love the game but when all you do is pvp in a large coalition you wait around for fleet pings more often than you actually fight. Not to mention the roams that take hours just to get no fights. I'll return in the summer when the carrier skills are changed up a bit, but one can only take so much of 75% waiting, 15% traveling, and 10% pvp.

Try wormhole PVP corps or Factional Warfare alliances (got a friend who's doing some FW with his alt... he's praying not to get so much pvp XD and it's mostly solo affairs or small group skirmishes so it isn't "who got mo caps!" affairs).

It's a great idea, both came out in-between my brakes from Eve. I've considered it but tbh I've always been a 0.0 payer I've never enjoyed anything in empire or low-sec. I never even learned the game in empire, I went straight to 0.0 in 2005 and learned the basics in large scale warfare. I do love the rvb fleets that roam into 0.0 though, free kills =).

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I'm interested in more information about that meusium display they are setting up.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Try wormhole PVP corps or Factional Warfare alliances (got a friend who's doing some FW with his alt... he's praying not to get so much pvp XD and it's mostly solo affairs or small group skirmishes so it isn't "who got mo caps!" affairs).

It's a great idea, both came out in-between my brakes from Eve. I've considered it but tbh I've always been a 0.0 payer I've never enjoyed anything in empire or low-sec. I never even learned the game in empire, I went straight to 0.0 in 2005 and learned the basics in large scale warfare. I do love the rvb fleets that roam into 0.0 though, free kills =).

You do know wormhole space is its own patch of territory right? 4000+ systems, the only thing keeping them connected to the rest of the universe is the lack of ice products because otherwise it's a full 0.0 combat environment with no local chanel :P fleets have to be small though because unless you're duking it out for a class 6 wormhole you're not gonna have any reliable means to get another fast connection to the same system (class 6 wormholes are 10-20 per total ergo the odds of a group being able to cycle a C6 static connection until they get the same system again is 5-10% which isn't that bad) but if you do piss off the wrong people I have heard tales of 100-200 strong tengu fleet zergs (some of which went south due to the enemy posesing good stealth bomber pilots who launched a few neut bombs followed by EMs down the tengu fleet's stove pipe).

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Congrats to CCP.

[mod edit]
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Its awesome that a mmo been going strong for 10 yrs old with a sub fee
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Encouraging to see an old P2P title thriving in this environment. Truly amazing for an internet spaceship game. Keep it up CCP!

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    half million is *great* for a sub game -- congrats CCP
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Encouraging to see an old P2P title thriving in this environment. Truly amazing for an internet spaceship game. Keep it up CCP!

Wait a sec, I thought this site's community said "P2P" was dead? Im confused..

/end sarc

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Goes to show sticking to your guns gains more respect. GZ CCP
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by KroxMalon
    Goes to show sticking to your guns gains more respect. GZ CCP

Not only that, but playing this game VS most other sandboxes, you will notice a sense of polish rarly seen. Its the same when playing WoW VS a game like SWTOR, the difference in polish is shocking.

Well made/implemented MMOs can thrive in a P2P model, as shown by WoW and EVE.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Half a Million !?!

Grats !!

• MyrradahMyrradah Member UncommonPosts: 102

Love the game. Hi points, low points and all points between. I find that most people who tried it and dont like it have not tried working with a corp, better known as guilds in other games. This makes it harder for them to get into the game.

As noted - the players drive a lot of the things that happen in Eve. be that space combat, trade wars, SOV etc etc there are many facets to Eve that draws all likes of players. To say it is a crafters dream would be right, but its a PvPers dream as well.

Space combat is great, if all you do is click the orbit buttons etc then you are doing it wrong - outside of some tactics. manual piloting is critical in eve to survive many time.

Eve is hard, Eve is great, Eve is the thing that haunts your thoughts at night and slaps upside the head when you finally realize what you did wrong. The game is played in your head when you are not logged in - strategic thinking, tactical thinking, logistics etc etc...Its fantastic :)

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Way to go congratulations. I myself cannot play a ship but power to them and thier game.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    In the end, I'm just too squeemish about PvP to have really enjoyed EvE to its full potential, but I love to watch this game and its community evolve.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Congratz CCP !

10 years and going strong (stronger ?) !

EVE continues to defy almost every mainstream MMO trend:

• it's STILL gaining subs (albeit slowly but steadily) after 10 years
    • it's STILL P2P
    • it's STILL very complex with no signs of "dumbing-down to appeal to a larger market"...
    • It STILL has 2 major expansions every year without fail (completely free and included in the monthly sub)
    • it's STILL mostly sandbox-style game play. CCP provide the tools and the playerbase uses (and/or abuses) those tools in all ways imaginable.

Here's to another 10 years of EVE-Online...
  • eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Half a million accounts, 50,000 subscribers ;). No other game encourages multiple account ownership like CCP (who even run specials on new second accounts at discounted monthly rates).

As long as the guy responsible for the email that said something like 'Don't pay attention to what players say, just what they do' is in charge (aka monocle-gate), I will not be resubbing my two accounts.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by eric_w66

Half a million accounts, 50,000 subscribers ;). No other game encourages multiple account ownership like CCP (who even run specials on new second accounts at discounted monthly rates).

As long as the guy responsible for the email that said something like 'Don't pay attention to what players say, just what they do' is in charge (aka monocle-gate), I will not be resubbing my two accounts.

So you have 2 accounts you claim everyone has 10? (I have 1)

Also the guy who reacted badly to our protests got on his knees and begged us to come back ^^ and we've gotten 3 good expansions thus far and the summer and winter ones look to be more of the same ^^.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    even if they have multiple account who cares its still counts as a active paid for account

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

No other game encourages multiple account ownership like CCP (who even run specials on new second accounts at discounted monthly rates).

Blizzard does something similar with their RAF program

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/6711272

Blizzard fully supports players using this promotion on themselves to get a 3 month experience boost or new mounts

in the past, I had 3 active wow accts all at once for the RAF promotion perks

in the end,

paying accounts is all that matters for subs anyhow -- not a player headcount

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

To be fair that was EXACTLY what CCP did... And they changed thier ways. What players DID (canceling subs and not buying MT stuff) made them change strategy. They did NOT try to force MT in disregard of what player actually wanted. They put it in game saw the reaction INGAME (not of forums) and adjusted.

So, really, what is your problem with him?

I for one would hope MORE did what he did.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Kudos to folks at CCP for ever continuing the up trend and getting to 500K.

This is not just because EVE is a sandbox or a niche game that stuck to its guns.

This is because EVE is a good sandbox, a good niche game, with many well-implemented sytems, beautiful design. You can play the game in a lot of different styles and most of them work out well. Hell, I had stretches I played EVE just for astro mining or transportation, just listening to the tunes and running cargo, like your regular space trucker, and it was beautiful.

• zeropridezeropride Member UncommonPosts: 41

yea for alts online! 

Seriously though given CCPs excruciating slow development pace you would think they have have <100k subs.

There are multiple below par T1 ships that prbably wont be tweaked anytime soon. 

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Congrats to EVE Online !! Even though they have had some stumbles and the such they continue to grow still at 10 yrs while newly released MMOs are in life support after 3 months which says a lot about this game. Now if they can build a real ground game you will have a MMO people will never quit playing.