Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Identity Crisis

Comments

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by sapphen
    Originally posted by fs23otm

Caliburn, after your repeated threads you just come off as bitter. 

I feel pity that you have nothing else in your life to do, but try and knockdown a game that has not yet been released.

...and you're saying he comes off as bitter?

TES is a great series and not all of us can just sit around and watch them screw up an iconic franchise.

Last I checked, Bethesda isn't going to quit making TES games just because another company has put out an MMO, so I'm not sure how this game could ruin a franchise.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I feel pity that you have nothing else in your life to do, but try and knockdown a game that has not yet been released.

TES is a great series and not all of us can just sit around and watch them screw up an iconic franchise.

But you see, no one is screwing up an iconic franchise.

It is only a few, loud, deluded individuals who believe only they know the correct way to pay homage to TES in an MMO... and they can't even agree amongst themselves on the true way to do it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

Last I checked, Bethesda isn't going to quit making TES games just because another company has put out an MMO, so I'm not sure how this game could ruin a franchise.

That's fair, I didn't really mean to say they would ruin the entire franchise but I see how it reads like that.  Many Elder Scrolls fans have been waiting for a real TES MMO for a long time and instead we're getting a knock-off.

Originally posted by Iselin

It is only a few, loud, deluded individuals who believe only they know the correct way to pay homage to TES in an MMO... and they can't even agree amongst themselves on the true way to do it.

So you know the opinions of the silent majority?

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Yeah, its funny reading these threads.

Lol...there's nothing silent about you guys with your self-righteous indignation. I'm in the minority apparently...at least as far as I can tell from the contents of this forum.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

No, we just know how to be rational and understand that to have faith in developers. Will TESO be the best MMO ever? I don't know that. Will it be the worst? I don't know either, but from what I have seen it won't.

I understand that I control my actions, not the actions of the developer, publisher, etc. If I don't agree with their decisions, I don't buy the game. That hurts their bottom line.

No developer is gonna to make a major change in their game at the 11th hour. That is what most of the negative posts want them to do. They want Zenimax to change the game to meet their expectations. That is my problem with the OP. This is not his frist thread like this.

Lol...there's nothing silent about you guys with your self-righteous indignation. I'm in the minority apparently...at least as far as I can tell from the contents of this forum.

So you think you're any different than us?  You say that if we don't like the game, don't play it - if you don't like what we have to say then don't read it... it's as simple as that.

So you think you're any different than us?  You say that if we don't like the game, don't play it - if you don't like what we have to say then don't read it... it's as simple as that.

No it's not that simple. I feel a compulsion to counteract bullshit and self-righteousness wherever I see it. I know, it's a personal failing. I'm like Don Quijote that way I guess.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

No it's not that simple. I feel a compulsion to counteract bullshit and self-righteousness wherever I see it. I know, it's a personal failing. I'm like Don Quijote that way I guess.

Iselin, I will be your Sancho Panza!

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

There is no identity crisis.

People need to understand that a MMORPG is not able to match a singleplayer experiance, it needs to be something different set in a familiar universe. But to expect a similar game like the singleplayer series would only become a much larger let down.

It's actually a shame that people seem to want  a similar ingame experiance like the singleplayer games. I'd say just enjoy and love our singleplayer games and a MMORPG should be something different. My vote would be a sandbox virtual world TESO game, but atleast they are trying to give us gamers a different experiance.

Gamers should actually sallut them for bringing us something different.

Try really hard to think what it excactly is that makes you love The Elder Scroll series, sure allot of it's feature's, but doesn't it all boil down to how every thing you do in their games truly effects the world/npc's around you?

Now how do some of you imagine this to work when every single player in your MMO game world wants to effect the whole ingameworld? Well seems like a easy answer.....PVP, especially the way they seem to go about it. They try to make the world have cause/effect.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

That's fair, I didn't really mean to say they would ruin the entire franchise but I see how it reads like that.  Many Elder Scrolls fans have been waiting for a real TES MMO for a long time and instead we're getting a knock-off.

If you really believe it's a knock-off then you won't buy it. At this point, since you can do nothing to change what's already in motion, literally the loudest protest the developers will hear is the silence of their cash registers. So that once again begs the question what one hopes to accomplish starting a new thread every single day regarding the same or similar topics that have been voiced already.

Originally posted by Reklaw

There is no identity crisis.

People need to understand that a MMORPG is not able to match a singleplayer experiance, it needs to be something different set in a familiar universe. But to expect a similar game like the singleplayer series would only become a much larger let down.

It's actually a shame that people seem to want  a similar ingame experiance like the singleplayer games. I'd say just enjoy and love our singleplayer games and a MMORPG should be something different. My vote would be a sandbox virtual world TESO game, but atleast they are trying to give us gamers a different experiance.

Try really hard to think what it excactly is that makes you love The Elder Scroll series, sure allot of it's feature's, but doesn't it all boil down to how every thing you do in their games truly effects the world/npc's around you?

Now how do some of you imagine this to work when every single player in your MMO game world wants to effect the whole ingameworld? Well seems like a easy answer.....PVP, especially the way they seem to go about it. They try to make the world have cause/effect.

Good post.

Ironically, my favorite sandboxy feature of TES dissappeared from the single player games after the first couple of instalments--the spellmaker... where you could custom make any spell you dreamt of with primary and secondary effects. I hated seeing that go but I understood that it was really tough to balance and it wasn't a deal breaker for me in the end.

The parts of the Elder Scrolls that I consider essential are the world, its races and the history. This is intact (although some here rage even about that..elves are too pretty now, don't ya know.) The gameplay mechanics, interface and technology used in this MMO are all secondary featues. I also don't know if it will work or not and if it wil result in a good game experience or not. But I'm more than willing to wait, see and play before I get really opinionated about the game.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

There are many of the SP mechanics that would translate into a MMO.  Locking races into factions, limiting exploration and many other systems would've worked in a MMO but they changed them to mimic DAoC.

Something different?  It's the SAME THING as DAoC and very similar to GW2, Tera and even SWTOR.

I love the open-adventures from TES games.  ESO is a RvR game (I would say PvP but they don't even have other forms of PvP).  Why would they make a MMO version that focuses on something that was never in the original games?  Don't get me wrong, I would've loved some type of PvP system.  I would've accpeted a RvR 3 faction system but instead of fitting it in a TES setting, they shoved TES in a DAoC setting.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Agreed!

This doesn't seem even remotely an Elder Scrolls based game - it's just using the name to create interest and is focusing all the attention on RvR.

Skyrim had 200+ dungeons.

TESO will probably have like 10.

Skyrim had a main plot line + a half dozen or more fully fleshed out storylines.

TESO will probably have the 3 - one for each faction, and a bunch of pointless side quests.

Skyrim and all other major TES RPGs have been 1st person FPS RPG combat.

TESO is going to be 99% 3rd person over the shoulder hotbar combat.

Skyrim had open skill based progression and no racial restrictions.

TESO is pseudo-class based and race/faction locked.

The biggest one-

Elder Scrolls has always been single player RPG and players have long, long hoped for co-op functionality.

TESO is apparently primarily based on PvP - not even primarily based on co-op multiplayer.

Identity crisis is right!

Originally posted by PyrateLV

How is it that anyone who thinks ESO will be a shallow, linear, Themepark POS spouting "self-rightious BS", but those that think its ok to turn ES into DAOC2 are not spouting the same, but opposing self-rightious BS?

Keep tilting at those windmills.

BTW, the name was Don Quixote

Actually no, the name is Don Quijote in the original Spanish. the "X" is in the anglisized spelling...  I'm hispanic so I write it the real way.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Agreed!

This doesn't seem even remotely an Elder Scrolls based game - it's just using the name to create interest and is focusing all the attention on RvR.

Skyrim had a main plot line + a half dozen or more fully fleshed out storylines.

TESO will probably have the 3 - one for each faction, and a bunch of pointless side quests.

TESO is going to be 99% 3rd person over the shoulder tab target combat.

The biggest one-

Elder Scrolls has always been single player RPG and players have long, long hoped for co-op functionality.

TESO is apparently primarily based on PvP - not even primarily based on co-op multiplayer.

99% of those dungeons are terrible though. They're as linear as a CoD level.

Agreed!

TESO is going to be 99% 3rd person over the shoulder tab target combat.

The biggest one-

BadSpock, you of all people know the pitfall of making arguments based on assumptions. You argued against many a user in the GW2 and SWTOR forums who did the exact thing you did above.

Come on, it's obvious that the game will be different from it's single player counterpart. That's a given. But we don't need to invent assumptive nonesense to try to make points.

Faith in developers...  that explains many of the over zealous responses, do you also go to Zenimax church?  I hope the zenidevgods bless you today.

If they don't want us to comment on their game then they shouldn't try to hype it.  WE have every right to post our thoughts on the game and how we feel about it's direction.   Take your own advice, if you don't like what we say then don't respond.

I will contradict every post you make if I so desire...

Many a man has posted feeling well, only to wake up the next morning and find himself dead.

You have every right to do so... and are you trying to wish death my way? 

Originally posted by rygard49

If you really believe it's a knock-off then you won't buy it. At this point, since you can do nothing to change what's already in motion, literally the loudest protest the developers will hear is the silence of their cash registers. So that once again begs the question what one hopes to accomplish starting a new thread every single day regarding the same or similar topics that have been voiced already.

I won't buy it, nor did I sign up for beta.  I guess people hope to draw attention to zenimax's mistakes.  I'm not starting threads everyday so I don't know.   People here have every right to voice what they want, that included me and you.

Originally posted by zephermarkus

Faith in developers...  that explains many of the over zealous responses, do you also go to Zenimax church?  I hope the zenidevgods bless you today.

If they don't want us to comment on their game then they shouldn't try to hype it.  WE have every right to post our thoughts on the game and how we feel about it's direction.   Take your own advice, if you don't like what we say then don't respond.

Many a man has posted feeling well, only to wake up the next morning and find himself dead.

I hope he is wishing it your way cause you won't stfu about race locking which was done only to be able to make pvp and each side different so there is a reason to actually make an alt. You try to sound smart but you sound a like an ass..please stop already. If you want co-op single play skyrim make a mod it's easy to do and you get the game you want.

Race locking was done ONLY to copy DAoC.  What makes you think that everyone cares about making alts?

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Its kind of sad really. We have 2 games in development,

One is an Elder Scrolls game that fans are happy with it being made as a DAOC2

The other is the actual DAOC2, but you see fans clamoring for it to be made like Skyrim.

ZOMG That is funny!  Great observation.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Agreed!

TESO is going to be 99% 3rd person over the shoulder hotbar combat.

The biggest one-

LOL, I agree.  I'm not sure what they are going to do but I would say that these are good predictions.

Originally posted by rygard49

I won't buy it, nor did I sign up for beta.  I guess people hope to draw attention to zenimax's mistakes.  I'm not starting threads everyday so I don't know.   People here have every right to voice what they want, that included me and you.

I know it's not you starting the threads, didn't mean to imply that. Just reiterating the question.

People don't, in fact, have every right to voice what they want, though. They have permission within the bounds of this site's rules, enforced by moderators, to discusss certain topics. Duplicated topics are typically deleted or moved or combined. This topic has been discussed to death.

• zephermarkuszephermarkus Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by zephermarkus

I hope he is wishing it your way cause you won't stfu about race locking which was done only to be able to make pvp and each side different so there is a reason to actually make an alt. You try to sound smart but you sound a like an ass..please stop already. If you want co-op single play skyrim make a mod it's easy to do and you get the game you want.

Race locking was done ONLY to copy DAoC.  What makes you think that everyone cares about making alts?

Like I said.........