Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Name your 3 favorite game genre and why

2»

Comments

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

*.) Low Stakes Internet Poker (for bitcoin these days) - Not sure how you'd classify this, strategy I suppose, but the money is a fun little bonus. Other attractions are that I can play for only a short time if I want to, and that I can also simultaneously read, watch movies, etc. on the opposite side of my monitor. I'm actually playing poker right now, heh!

1.) Strategy - Currently playing 'War in the Pacific' - Admiral's Edition.

2.) MMORPG/RPG - Moreso online than single player, I enjoy playing these games the most with other people. But I did play Skyrim not so long ago. Last MMO played seriously - 'Uncharted Waters Online'.

3.) Simulation - The sims installed right now on my computer are Sim City 3, DCS A-10C Thunderbolt, Falcon 4.0 Allied Force, and Air Traffic Control (ATC) Simulator 2. Kind of a fun little test of memory and quick organization when you really crank up the number of planes being handled.

Games I usually don't care for - RTS, FPS and Arcade.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

City Building/Management/Simulation (Dwarf Fortress, Dungeon Keeper, Sim theme park)

Survival/Horror (Amnesia, Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, ZombiU)

Open World/Sandboxy ( GTA, Dont Starve, Far Cry 3, Just Cause, Saints Row, Terraria)

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

1 - RPG

2 - FPS

3 - RTS

P.S. Anyone who put down MMO as a genre, it isn't one!

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

1. MMO's - I like the social aspect of the MMO's. I will play a bad MMO with a good group of people. Plus my favorite game of all time is EQ.

2. Adventure-Platforms: Drake's Fortune,Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed... awesome engaging games! Puzzles, Platforming, etc

3. Sports - Madden, NHL, Baseball.... all great games. Social trash talking good times.

After looking at that I can see why I love the new gen. of MMO's.... GW2, Tera, NW, ESO.... all action adventure. Puzzles, platforms, social... wow they do fit me!

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

1. MMORPG

2. RPG

3. Slashers (god of war type)

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

#1: Any type of RPGs. These include ARPGs, FPSRPGs, MMORPGs, Traditional RPGs and almost any other form they happen to take. I like the character building and the stories they tell along the way. I also lean a little more toward the open-world / open ended type than the linear story driven types. Bethesda Softworks games would be my favorites in this catagory but I also like games like Borderlands, the Far Cry series and Mount and Blade series as well.

#2: Space Sims: These are kinda like RPGs in space so I guess they could fall under #1 but they are different enough to warrent their own special mention. I like the the openess of some of these titles like the X series, Freelancer, Elite and the upcoming titles Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous.

#3: Open World 3rd person shooters: Games like the GTA series, Saints Row series and Just Cause series. I just like the way you can do the missions or just do what you want in these games. I also have liked the Mafia series, Red Dead Redemption(Xbox 360) and the Prototype games.

I also enjoy a lot of simulation type games like Silent Hunter, Wings of Prey, The Battlestation games and a lot of racing type  games. These would fall in behind my top 3 above however. The Total War series deserves a mention as well.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

1 - Turn based strategy

2 - Fighting games

3 - Sports games

MMORPG's no longer make the cut.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

1. 4x strategy games (no not your craptastic over simplified grabage SoSE or the stale SotS, talking about MoO series and Galactic Civ).

2. Engaging RPGs (doesn't matter if the mechanics or the story is good it just matters if it engages me, few do that these days)

3. MMOs ( currently dicking around in Wurm and Firefall, gonna be going back to EVE in mid march or early april as well).

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

1. RPG, both action like MassEffect/Bioshock type of action RPG's) and more traditional RPG's like Elders Scrolls series, 2Worlds etc...

2. RTS, both arcade and the more traditional

3........use to be MMORPG's.....but unfortunaly most don't deliver something different I can't already play in other genre's. Asked me OP's topic 9 or 10 years ago MMORPG would be on top as it delivered something beyond that what we already played in other genre's....so at this moment my number

3 = FPS, both single and multiplayer. Really all sorts.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

1) Role Playing Games.
    Let me escape and be someone else for awhile :)

2) Turn-Based Strategy/Empire Building Games.
    Civilization and Master of Magic type games. I like building and managing resources :)

3) Sports Games.
    Madden NFL and Need 4 Speed. I especially enjoy the managing/franchise aspect of Madden.

4) Board Game Simulator. (A very close 4th...)
    Puerto Rico, 1830, Rail Baron, Risk, and Carcossonne type games. My board game friends have all moved away so I look to computers fill the void.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Maelwydd
    P.S. Anyone who put down MMO as a genre, it isn't one!
    Say what? MMO IS a genre of game.

If you do not believe it is, can you state why you believe so?

What genre would you place MMos in?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Dihoru

1. 4x strategy games (no not your craptastic over simplified grabage SoSE or the stale SotS, talking about MoO series and Galactic Civ).

Check out Distant Worlds if you are looking for a epic x4 space strategy game, imo it kicks GalCiv and MOO in the nutts image

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Scarfe

Here goes: -

1) RPG: Anything by Bethesda and any single player game by Bioware. 

2) Strategy but particularly Civ and Total War. 

3) MMO's

Pretty interesting I would have the same three categories. I am extremely limited in time available due to working hours so I use games for mostly relaxation.

1. RPG: I prefer games that allow character customization and solid story telling. Bioware rpgs work really well. I enjoy solid action rpgs such as Torchlight 1 & 2, Legend of Grimrock, PoE, Diablo 2, etc.

2. Strategy: I like both turn based and RTS games. I like building an empire, squad, or even a base from multiple options. I like a good narrative in a strategy good but having one is not as important as having one in a RPG. Recent favorites have been Xcom Enemy Unknown, Warlock Master of the Arcane, Ogre Tactics, etc.

3. I enjoy various MMOs (ala look at my posting history). A strong narrative is still nice, but gameplay and community can make up for a lot. Games with a poor community never last long on my drive. Games with a great community EQ2, Rift, and SWToR.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

RPG's

MMORPG's

MOBA's

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Check out Distant Worlds if you are looking for a epic x4 space strategy game, imo it kicks GalCiv and MOO in the nutts image

Played the original, didn't impress me much (lack of tech was my main gripe, I won far too easily by just spamming frigates), does the game improve with the expansions?

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

1. MMORPGs - especially in sci-fi environment.

2. RPGs - especially BioWare games (all)  and CDProject's The Witcher series (mostly because studio comes from country of my origin)

3. Strategy - Have all Civilizations from #1.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Played the original, didn't impress me much (lack of tech was my main gripe, I won far too easily by just spamming frigates), does the game improve with the expansions?

Yes much more improvments with the 2 x-packs and now around the corner a 3rd x-pack is on the way with even more features.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.