Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All hail the new king! Joel Bylos also GD for Aoc!

Check this out! New central team comes with new GD

http://www.ageofconan.com/news/game_directors_letter_february_2013

Since he´s doing an amazing job on TSW I´ll give this news a big thumbs up :D

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

There's only one king and he sits on the throne of Aquilonia atm :) but yeah, Joel is cool.

"In addition, we have a new Conan movie on the way, with Arnold reprising his role as Conan, though this time as King Conan. Because this is much closer to the timeline of our game, this represents a great opportunity to tie plenty of the content in the game to the movie"

I dunno... the game is set after the Hour of the Dragon and the movie plot sounds like it's influenced by that novel. Since there are no time-travel in Hyboria, I wonder how will they implement plenty of content in game based on the movie - if not by after-effects and npc references :)  (and the movie won't arrive in at least 1 more year from today, so its marketing value will only noticeable in 2014)

Voice acting, regular updates, quality of life features from TSW, new networking layer (the lag spikes were much more frequent this weekend, maybe because of the player influx) are all good news. Just as the parallel development.

Seems it will be a good year in AoC. (and TSW ofc :) )

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Po_gg

There's only one king and he sits on the throne of Aquilonia atm :) but yeah, Joel is cool.

"In addition, we have a new Conan movie on the way, with Arnold reprising his role as Conan, though this time as King Conan. Because this is much closer to the timeline of our game, this represents a great opportunity to tie plenty of the content in the game to the movie"

I dunno... the game is set after the Hour of the Dragon and the movie plot sounds like it's influenced by that novel. Since there are no time-travel in Hyboria, I wonder how will they implement plenty of content in game based on the movie - if not by after-effects and npc references :)  (and the movie won't arrive in at least 1 more year from today, so its marketing value will only noticeable in 2014)

Voice acting, regular updates, quality of life features from TSW, new networking layer (the lag spikes were much more frequent this weekend, maybe because of the player influx) are all good news. Just as the parallel development.

Seems it will be a good year in AoC. (and TSW ofc :) )

yep it all sounds quite good, and usually Joel is honest and keeps expecations realistic and delivers on promises, so GOOD NEWS indeed.

Keeping fingers crossed for single server tech soon, I want my cross dimension PvP minigames in AoC :D

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by FromHell

Check this out! New central team comes with new GD

http://www.ageofconan.com/news/game_directors_letter_february_2013

Since he´s doing an amazing job on TSW I´ll give this news a big thumbs up :D

Thank the gods. Joel kicks ass and although i enjoy AOC this guy can do wonders for it.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Btw, talking about parallel development, if it goes in both directions I'd like to see Otho's shield on my TSW Templar's back:  http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1643/aocshield.jpg  (as a chaos focus for example)

Maybe it could come with a different colour set to be a better match for the Templar uniform :)

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by DMKano

What happened to that awesome guy who took over AoC and was going to save it several years back? Anybody remember that?

Didn't Craig Morrison do a good job? A few years back, I remember all the posts praising him and how he will save the game.

So in a few years Joel will be kicked to the curb and a new guy will be praised.

Anybody seeing a pattern here?

Yeah if that happens it will be a pattern but to reliably get a pattern of events (from a statistical stand point) you need >3 events.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

What happened to that awesome guy who took over AoC and was going to save it several years back? Anybody remember that?

Didn't Craig Morrison do a good job? A few years back, I remember all the posts praising him and how he will save the game.

So in a few years Joel will be kicked to the curb and a new guy will be praised.

Anybody seeing a pattern here?

Actually, some of us never liked Morrison; myself included.  Gaudager wasn't given enough time to bring his brilliant vision to reality.  When you go back to 2006-2007 and watch/read some of his interviews about AoC it makes me sad to see that his vision got transformed into World of Mounts / World of AA's.

AoC is still a good game and I will still occasionally sub for a couple months and play it, but if it could be a good game under Morrison who didn't have that spark of creativity, then imagine how much better it would be with Gaudager still at the helm.

Anyways, hopefully Joel can handle the helming responsibilities of all these games at the same time.  I wish him luck, but I have my hot irons ready to hold at his feet if he doesn't unfrak the PVP system in AoC, at the very least.

Of course we remember and it indeed was a good job. I only said Joel is cool, that doesn't mean any belittling toward Craig.

Actually CM wrote at the end of the letter "With the move of the team to North Carolina this marked the perfect opportunity to pass that torch, and allow a new generation to put their own mark upon Hyboria." so I'm pretty sure this switch has nothing to do with the quality of his work, just simply the restructuring / relocation. Of course maybe I'm wrong.

For the sudden pvp buzz on the AoC forum (and a bit here as well), I think pvp is at its right and well-deserved place now in AoC, there's no need to change that :) Sure, with a new director it's possible that some changes will occur, but I hope they won't fiddling with the game or any core elements. And I hope too, that every pvp-oriented change will be placed below the lag issue, the bugs, and of course the content updates, if there will be a priority list :)

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Of course we remember and it indeed was a good job. I only said Joel is cool, that doesn't mean any belittling toward Craig.

Actually CM wrote at the end of the letter "With the move of the team to North Carolina this marked the perfect opportunity to pass that torch, and allow a new generation to put their own mark upon Hyboria." so I'm pretty sure this switch has nothing to do with the quality of his work, just simply the restructuring / relocation. Of course maybe I'm wrong.

For the sudden pvp buzz on the AoC forum (and a bit here as well), I think pvp is at its right and well-deserved place now in AoC, there's no need to change that :) Sure, with a new director it's possible that some changes will occur, but I hope they won't fiddling with the game or any core elements. And I hope too, that every pvp-oriented change will be placed below the lag issue, the bugs, and of course the content updates, if there will be a priority list :)

no lag, no buggs, no lack of content... this game is every MMOers wet dream now.

I hope their new aditions to be either Crafting or PvP stuff.

The Ultimate Breakdown