Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good Combat, Decent Stories, Character Depth, and fun then why?

2»

Comments

• cujo603cujo603 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Champions online and DC online main problem is not being social mmo's.  They are both what is now the norm, single player mmo. Very limited grouping happens in most mmo's today. As an example is no super group (guild) section on this website for them, unlike City of Heroes/villains had right up to closing down.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I found everything in this game to be subpar.

Nice job op on asking people a question and flaming out because you don't like their answers.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

Do not more people play this game or talk about it?

Difficult to explain the history of CO...let's just say it was a long and bumpy ride before it opened.

After it opened, it was in direct competition (for players) with another well-established franchise title that was (arguably) at least as good, and had a 8-year existing player base (CoX).

Next, DCUO opened up (another direct competitor).

And last, here comes Marvel...another hat in the ring.

That's a lot of ways to sub-divide a relatively tiny audience niche.

Who comes out on top in the post-CoX world? Well, ask us again in a year, I guess.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Do not more people play this game or talk about it?

Difficult to explain the history of CO...let's just say it was a long and bumpy ride before it opened.

After it opened, it was in direct competition (for players) with another well-established franchise title that was (arguably) at least as good, and had a 8-year existing player base (CoX).

Next, DCUO opened up (another direct competitor).

And last, here comes Marvel...another hat in the ring.

That's a lot of ways to sub-divide a relatively tiny audience niche.

but cox is over and out.

dcuo is for consoles.

marvel is ...well not an mmo.

champions online is good, but lacks severe intrest from devs wich is hurting the game alot.

Originally posted by bakabröd

but cox is over and out.

dcuo is for consoles.

marvel is ...well not an mmo.

champions online is good, but lacks severe intrest from devs wich is hurting the game alot.

Yes, I know.

Who comes out on top in the post-CoX world? Well, ask us again in a year, I guess.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

Quite simple,

I can play alot of diffrent settings: Fantasy, sci fi (up to a certain point) medieval, western ganster whatever. i would be able to fit myself into those worlds.

However superheroes? No thank you... Might be a good game, but not for me.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    I've never considered trying CO, here's why.
    1) It's made by Cryptic. I don't like their games.

2) Superheroes were fine, once. Not a world I can relate to with hundreds if not thousands of heroes flying around everywhere.

3) Really bad launch, where they boosted the grind because it had very limited repetitive content.

4) Payment model does matter, let me try it as a proper F2P title (see Aion) and I might try it. Just as a point of order, I almost always end up spending more money in these cases.

5)It's made by Cryptic, see above.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by xeniar

Quite simple,

I can play alot of diffrent settings: Fantasy, sci fi (up to a certain point) medieval, western ganster whatever. i would be able to fit myself into those worlds.

However superheroes? No thank you... Might be a good game, but not for me.

You're not alone. A lot of people enjoy superhero books, movies and comics but find that actually playing that superhero isn't that much fun. Using sports games as an example, playing your favorite team is fun, but if you had to play your favorite player from that team, the fun is diminished. Simply because you'd be acting and thinking based on two things - how you yourself act/think and how to beat the game. Actually trying to be that hero gets in the way of what you're trying to accomplish in the game.

Superheroes work much better in single player games because the script is written for you. You're working this super being through the fantastic story that was already created, with the cool options and cool responses figured out by much more creative people than the average gamer. The Bioware team seemed to realize this and their attempts to bring that to MMOs in SWTOR were very evident.

The things that make most superheroes cool aren't their superpowers but the moral choices they face, something that so far has been poorly emulated in MMOs.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

I bought one of those "founders packages" when it first came out so I get all the freebies each month but I never play CHamions Online.  I don't play it since I cannot ever get a stable connection to that game.  I log in, play for 5 minutes and for some reason I get disconnected from the internet.  I then have to unplug my modem, reboot it, then wait for a connection then I can get back on line.  It was not like this early on when Champions Online first came out but something has changed and these days... I don't even bother with it anymore.

Ratero.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

I can say the game is definately much better now than it has been.  The general consensus atm is that the developers are over working on Neverwinter atm.  I have played CO since beta and have a lifetime sub to the game.  I do not regret the lifetime sub, since I have gotten alot of play time for such little investment.  The game had a really rough first year or so, but the f2p conversion and shortly afterwards brought alot of enhancements and players.  I would say try it on the f2p to see what you think for a bit, and if you enjoy then sub.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

77Originally posted by Loktofeit

The things that make most superheroes cool aren't their superpowers but the moral choices they face, something that so far has been poorly emulated in MMOs.

A game couldn't handle those "dark brooding anti-hero" stories that were so popular through the 90s.

It could simulate a "simple moral choices" hero of the 50s pretty well, though.

We disagree about what makes a hero "cool", I think. Sometimes I got so sick of the Dark Knight generation of writers all trying to be Alan Moore or Frank Miller that I could just bite nails.

Was a relief when the Collector Collapse (finally) brought that era to a close.

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

CO has been always the neglected child of its publisher. First, ATARI was basically pretending putting marginal money and expecting that the game would some way magically grow itself. Having most resources "borrowed" by STO less than six months was basically a stab in the game future. Like taking a baby's bottle and then asking why he is so short.  Unfortunately planning out of emergencies has been Cryptic's way of manage things.

After pwe bought Cryptic, they decided to improve greatly STO due to the IP, work hard on NWO to make it its future flagship. CO was once again depleted from its already low resources. At some point it looks to me when some community manages and devs move to STO was basically a promotion even if they were actually doing the same job.

CO's core game is pretty good imho, so it is that given that neglection is still alive and in some way attracting people, not many but stil people come. My hopes is that the same way they did for STO, pwe decides to believe they can improve it by investing a reasonable amount of resoucers. However, I doubt anything would change until few months of NWO launch.

I really like CO and I still play it actively and I hope it gets the attention it deserves

Still, for the newcomer, the game is pretty fun and has many things to do, alerts, lairs, adventure packs, comic series, crisis, etc.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

For the folks who keep talking about bugs and whatnot... I'm wondering if you have played the game lately, or are commenting on the game in the past?

I'm just wondering as I recently started playing again and I'm not noticing any bugs. I mean, it originally came out in 2009. It's been 4 years now and it appears [at least to me] that the game has recieved a lot of love in the bug department. I have been playing again for weeks now and haven't really run accross anything that has caused issues. Perahps I'm just not noticing the bugs?

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

A game couldn't handle those "dark brooding anti-hero" stories that were so popular through the 90s.

We disagree about what makes a hero "cool", I think. Sometimes I got so sick of the Dark Knight generation of writers all trying to be Alan Moore or Frank Miller that I could just bite nails.

I can honestly say in considering how "cool" a super hero was... the moral choices they make was never at the top of the list. It's mostly their look and super power. Perhaps there's something wrong with me lol.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Praetalus

I can honestly say in considering how "cool" a super hero was... the moral choices they make was never at the top of the list. It's mostly their look and super power. Perhaps there's something wrong with me lol.

There's nothing wrong with you. You probably would have found of City of Heroes an enjoyable game.

@Icewhite: It's not so much the depth of the moral choices but that moral choices don't translate well into games, as the sacrifice or dire nature of them is absent.

In one of the Spiderman movies, he had to choose between saving the bus of people or his girlfriend. In a video game, there is no love attachment. Also, if the bus of people dies, the concern isn't some horrific loss of life but how it affects that branch of the player's progression. The player decides which to save based on rewards and conseqeunces that have little, if anything, to do with intent or sacrifice in the context of the scenario.

And 'intent' is the biggest thing there. A game cannot discern it. Not yet, at least. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Praetalus

There's nothing wrong with you. You probably would have found of City of Heroes an enjoyable game.

@Icewhite: It's not so much the depth of the moral choices but that moral choices don't translate well into games, as the sacrifice or dire nature of them is absent.

In one of the Spiderman movies, he had to choose between saving the bus of people or his girlfriend. In a video game, there is no love attachment. Also, if the bus of people dies, the concern isn't some horrific loss of life but how it affects that branch of the player's progression. The player decides which to save based on rewards and conseqeunces that have little, if anything, to do with intent or sacrifice in the context of the scenario.

And 'intent' is the biggest thing there. A game cannot discern it. Not yet, at least. :)

I loved Moore's Watchmen and Miller's DareDevil reboot (I know, guilty pleasure :) ) and Sin City, but those were outstanding, "one-of-a-kind" works I think. Though never liked Miller's Dork Knight. And I agree with Icewhite on the Dork Knight generation of writers who pretend they're so deep and artsy and cool...

I admit at first I just wanted to comment on the bus vs girlfriend part, since as a Marvel / Spidey fan even the mention of those **** TobyMacgyver (sic) movies brings Red Mist in front of my eyes :) (without the Mistmobile ofc). But the context and the point Loktofeit is referring is sadly true. Players do follow rewards or any profitable outcome, and give a crap about moral choices. I tried to be naive and believe the opposite (or at least thinking that reward-chasing players are only in weak games), but LotRO's Frostbluff two years ago was a real eye-opener for me... :I

(for non-LotROers, there were 2 quests, one for giving the beggars some coins from your own, and the other is to scold them off - which rewarded some coins. Most players chose the latter, you could barely donate the beggars since as soon as they respawned someone send them right away... so much for the Christmas spirit... And at the end of the event you could choose to help the corrupt mayor or the poors of the town, most players chose the first because it rewarded with money and an awesome cosmetic outfit while the poors could only give some shabby outfit in return...)  So yep, if there's any quest decision - moral included or not - players will go for the best reward sadly.

But it's offtopic, so I just repeat my previous posts, CO is a great game imo :)

• B1mbleB1mble Member CommonPosts: 148

I can't comment for anyone else but for me the game ended when my favourite character, one using the archetypes available suddenly became so weak he couldn't punch through a wet paper bag.

My character was a clown called Bobo who used the behemoth arch and he was good fun to play with.  It was challenging and if I got it wrong he paid with his life. 

I took a break until it suddenly became available on Steam at which point I downloaded it again and logged back into my old account.  One respec later to take into account all the updates, my evil looking clown suddenly became the biggest fart in the game.  Death after death after death.  Most encounters just became a chore with a visit from the reaper being a bit to frequent.

Other characters I had were freeform and ok but I didn't want to mess with Bobo because I liked him so much.  In the end I though it was a bit grasping to make it so that the archetypes were so naff that to actually enjoy the game you had to pay.

This may be the problem with the game and the lack of interest.  Start as a new player who is unsure, roll a char on a template, play a short time before the MOBS repeatedly pound you into pate... pay or leave.

• anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by B1mble

I can't comment for anyone else but for me the game ended when my favourite character, one using the archetypes available suddenly became so weak he couldn't punch through a wet paper bag.

My character was a clown called Bobo who used the behemoth arch and he was good fun to play with.  It was challenging and if I got it wrong he paid with his life. 

I took a break until it suddenly became available on Steam at which point I downloaded it again and logged back into my old account.  One respec later to take into account all the updates, my evil looking clown suddenly became the biggest fart in the game.  Death after death after death.  Most encounters just became a chore with a visit from the reaper being a bit to frequent.

Other characters I had were freeform and ok but I didn't want to mess with Bobo because I liked him so much.  In the end I though it was a bit grasping to make it so that the archetypes were so naff that to actually enjoy the game you had to pay.

This may be the problem with the game and the lack of interest.  Start as a new player who is unsure, roll a char on a template, play a short time before the MOBS repeatedly pound you into pate... pay or leave.

Do not write Bobo off just yet. I logged in a few days ago for a few hours nostalgica fun with my Devastator Archetype (ok, its a store unlock, but does not require a subscription) & she was not only able to uhm... devastate everything in reach but also was able to take quite a pounding while doing so :)

Just play a bit with the skills & take your time to relearn them. Also check out the new (?) additional skilltree, can easily be missed if not looking for it.

Also I think its possible to buy a freeform slot now in the ingame store which previously was subscription only.

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Please stay on topic. I was not asking about payment t models, because I prefer full access when I play a game, we we talking gameplay. We have a game that's seems to be  adding  a lot of content and features but we don't hear much about it.

I was on topic. You simply didn't like the answer. The business model is why many don't play and don't talk about it anymore. Its not really a game many see worth a monthly fee, but to really play you must pay a monthly fee. 

I'll clarify a bit I guess.

The main thing that sets CO apart from DCUO is the freeform character creation. Many want to make the character they want and CO allows that, but only if you pay monthly. The content isn't that great, it's fairly generic, but that was ok for many because it was just pretty damn cool to make whatever you wanted. Combat is decent, but again the game itself is pretty generic and mediocre. So a monthly fee is out for many, but they are still willing to pay for a lot of the cosmetics and of course new power sets and etc. 

Now, locking that freeform customization behind a pay wall you have taken the only real appeal the game has away and many would prefer to simply play DCUO since it does have better story and graphics and you are locked into iconic hero powers rather than the often times dull power sets you get in CO. 

Actually no you are hijacking the thread. I asked about content, new features, and  overall fun mixed with lack of buzz. No where did I ask about payment model. And to be blunt but truthful  I am really not interested in the opinions of people who want to freeload and then are not happy with the limitations that are placed on them when they do. 

I could have sworn you're topic was asking why nobody plays or talks about this game...yet the gameplay is good and the content is plentiful....he gave you the 100% correct answer and it's 100% on topic. Are you sure you don't have an agenda or something? Like maybe your working for cryptic or PW? Calling a game Free 2 play and then locking out the most wanted feature would sure cause people not to play your game..regardless of how good the gameplay is.  Nobody is complaining about the payment model...just giving you the reason why the game isn't popular.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    This game gets a bad rap because of the cell shaded graphics. There's nothing really bad about this game. It made city of heroes look bad imo. You can fly at early lvl's too. If there's any game with a sub worth playing its this one. You can really create a unique hero thats kicks butt in those early lvl unlike city of heroes where you died alot because you were weak. Its a good game worth checking out and if you can go for the sub. its worth the money.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Hariken
    This game gets a bad rap because of the cell shaded graphics. There's nothing really bad about this game. It made city of heroes look bad imo. You can fly at early lvl's too. If there's any game with a sub worth playing its this one. You can really create a unique hero thats kicks butt in those early lvl unlike city of heroes where you died alot because you were weak. Its a good game worth checking out and if you can go for the sub. its worth the money.

Wow, nice necroing... with some factual errors too :)

- Cel-shade (and the whole comics setting) is actually one of CO's strength.

- You could fly in CoH at lvl6, I guess it's early enough too (ok, technically just Hover, but that's almost flying :) )

- Maybe just me but I don't remember dying a lot in CoH early levels...

- CO definitely worths checking out, very nice game, but not really worth the sub money. Not because of its quality, simply it's better to play as free (unless of course you have lots of gold characters, in that case it's much viable to subscribe)

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    CO is like all Cryptic Games after CoX and the split from that game and NCSoft.It's fun for a short time but holds no long term draw except in CO's case there a RP community of mostly ex CoX RPers now.