Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have to be the worst player to play Planetside 2 no lie.

WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I just started to "try" and play this game after having it downloaded for months now, I just wasn't feeling any FPS games until recent, So I jump in and bam dead, I can't seem to kill a dam thing, I even tryed to snipe and still suck balls.

I am sure with allllllot more practice I can at least live for more then 10 seconds in a battle zone but will my character if I upgreade him get stronger or tougher so I can live though at least 1 normal shot? I saw that I can upgrade my suits to take more damage but how big of a difference does that make or am I shit out of luck?

Comments

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

I know the feeling. 

It's interesting you say that. I saw a blog once on Team Fortress 2's design and why the designers felt it was so successful for a FPS. One of the top reasons was the kill cam. It doesn't just show you who killed you, it shows you *exactly* how you died, where your killer was and it even paints the line of sight. 

Then, as your respawning, you can see your teammates, where they're at, what they're doing.

It made the learning curve in Team Fortress 2 much easier and made dying a lot less frustrating... because you always learned something with every death. "Ah, so snipers stay on that ledge? I'll watch out for that next time."

"Oh, the demo man laid sticky bombs all over that door? Nice. I'll be on the look out for that next time." 

Played TF2 for years. 

In PS2, when I just fall over dead and get no information other than an ID tag, I don't learn anything. Moreover, I don't know what killed me, how they killed me. Didn't make it more than a few hours before I called it quits. Too frustrating and unfun. 

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

What I do with FPS games that are established, but new to me, is pick the sniper weapon or use a handgun.  I get owned for a short time, then I start owning.  I usually end up becoming one of the players who gets whined at for "cheating" because I concentrate on accuracy from the beginning.  I don't mind getting killed repeatedly in the beginning.  It makes me better.

I should mention that I don't like this game.  There are way better FPS games out there for skilled play.  

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by umcorian

I know the feeling. 

It's interesting you say that. I saw a blog once on Team Fortress 2's design and why the designers felt it was so successful for a FPS. One of the top reasons was the kill cam. It doesn't just show you who killed you, it shows you *exactly* how you died, where your killer was and it even paints the line of sight. 

Then, as your respawning, you can see your teammates, where they're at, what they're doing.

It made the learning curve in Team Fortress 2 much easier and made dying a lot less frustrating... because you always learned something with every death. "Ah, so snipers stay on that ledge? I'll watch out for that next time."

"Oh, the demo man laid sticky bombs all over that door? Nice. I'll be on the look out for that next time." 

Played TF2 for years. 

In PS2, when I just fall over dead and get no information other than an ID tag, I don't learn anything. Moreover, I don't know what killed me, how they killed me. Didn't make it more than a few hours before I called it quits. Too frustrating and unfun. 

I just loged out, I really like the the concept but as you said it's to fustrating for me aswell, at least today, I might try it another time.

• traplinextraplinex Member Posts: 14

More so than other games map awareness is important in PS2, there is a lot of different ways into an area, and with two other factions you can become flanked pretty easily until you know the ropes.

My suggestion is to get a sniper, and not worry about kills for the first day playing, instead try to orient yourself on the larger map, see how the front lines flow and how defending and assaulting can work. 

I did this for the first few hours, especially paying attention to defense as it was much easier to find flanking positions to snipe from and tell what type of characters tend to stop moving long enough to headshot. Now I can quickly orient myself on a map, and read the terrain much better. Once you understaqnd those basics you will survive much longer, flanking a sunderer and headshotting heavies while they line up launcher shots at you turrets and armor, picking out opposing snipers in cover, and learning when to activate cloak and slip away to new spots.

There is a definite flow to the battles, and once you know where they are coming from more reliably it's a much more interesting game, you will die less from the flanks and start to pile up kills. I also suggest if you make the transition to more close quarter combat use the heavy class, the activated shield is very effective in face to face hip fire encounters, and has saved my arse more than a few times.

I think ps2 is worht the invesment of time it takes to overcome the frustrations of a new player, just remember initially to be patient and pick your fights as best you can, don't take a shot unless you can make the kill, as everyeone on the other side will know you are there and box you in.

Also yes you can use certs to build up your soldier, you wont become invincible, but you will be less easy to kill.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

What faction are you playing?

I started with NC and sucked, switched to Vanu and started owning. The 3 factions actually have asymetrical guns. NC seem to be slow but pack a punch, TR are fast for do less damage and Vanu is somewhere in the middle.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    You're not, I'm eligible for that title though.  Frame rates suck. If you put a weapon in my hand I'll as likely team kill you as the other side.  So I'm sitting in a base repairing flyers and tanks who don't run me over.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Join an outfit that uses TS3.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138

PS2 is really rude if you have no experience in massive multifactionnal warfare. (I know it's just 3 factions but this is enough to completely change the 2 factions camp A vs Camp B routine)

It is a real 360° open world war : you need to practice and get some experience in "overviewing and undertanding the battlefield" and then you will start living longer and killing poeples. (don't be IN the zerg, use it)

Second hardcore thing in PS2 : even an upgraded heavy assault can be killed with 2 bullets in the head with most weapons (but more like 10-15 bullets in chest) so the game is REALLY rewarding when your aim is good.

Get better at those two things and you can start the killfest.

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Thx guys I took some of your advice, been playing a sniper just getting use to the aim and I am starting to get better, I now have 3 kills lol, I also tweaked my field of view and that seemed to help, I found this really cool FOV calculator that gives you the right vertical FOV to screen resolution ratio setting for the game seeing as Planetside 2 uses vertical FOV as opposed to horizontal like most other games.

http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    NC is hardest faction to plat by far, not sure if that's what you are playing.   Me and my brother and some friends are invested into NC and it's definitely man-mode compared to the other factions.  You need to find the class that works best with your playstyle.   For me that was light assault as someone who was a big fan of the Tribes franchise, it feels at home for me.   You also can't run around guns blazing like you can in a lot of other FPS games like Battlefield.
  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by Warjin

I just started to "try" and play this game after having it downloaded for months now, I just wasn't feeling any FPS games until recent, So I jump in and bam dead, I can't seem to kill a dam thing, I even tryed to snipe and still suck balls.

I am sure with allllllot more practice I can at least live for more then 10 seconds in a battle zone but will my character if I upgreade him get stronger or tougher so I can live though at least 1 normal shot? I saw that I can upgrade my suits to take more damage but how big of a difference does that make or am I shit out of luck?

Takes a while to get a feel for the game. Every and anyone i know that was new had the same issue. Once you get battle field awareness, like where people are likely to be, and how to approach enemies it slowly starts to get better.

Once you get a firm grasp on that...you start to get a lot better.

My advice, play cautious.  You see those people running out the door then getting killed? guess whats going to happen to you. Need to learn when to use the instant action button, a lot of times a battle turns into farming, know when to leave and know when your getting farmed and bail.

Also, find a fight style you like.  Do you like popping into a room of enemies? Do you like picking off people froma  distance?  Do you like tanks or aircraft...theres a lot of roles and running around sampling them is a good idea.  Do you prefer to shoot from the scope or from the hip?  All this matters, and finding a specific fighting style you like means you will know where to spend certs and what class to focus on.  Some certs are focued on very specific fight styles, some offer versatility. 

Also.  Aim for the head.  Theres no point in even trying if you turn the corner and theres a guy facing you and you start shooting his torso, hes just going to hit you in the head and your dead.

And it doesnt hurt to get into an outfit and roll with them, even if your a healer/engi bitch (which is good xp btw and very needed in any fight)  Youll at least learn battle flow and start to learn all the little things with each base and area.  Learning for instance where light assaults hide then C4 people or pick people off so you can expect it, or knowing where snipers like to sit..or where a MAX will be situated...this all helps a ton.

Very hard game to get use to imo, not like other FPS where everything is easy to understand in terms of battle mechanics.

• LuperzaLuperza Member Posts: 23

On the note about the Kill Cam and how it makes it easier for new players to understand how and when they died, we had a Kill Cam in Alpha and Beta. Our community continually told us how they did not like the Kill Cam, so we removed it. 

We do still provide you with a Death Recap, but I understand it's not the same. 

For new players, I highly suggest joining an outfit or finding an outfit that is running an open squad/platoon. It's a great way to really understand the game and learn from experienced players. Also, starting out as a support class helps - this means Combat Medic and Engineer. You can help aid allies and when the time is right, kill foes. :) PlanetSide 2 is very intense, so I can understand how new players, especially new FPS players, can have a rough time. 

Margaret "Luperza" Krohn
    Your Friendly Community Relations Representative
    @PurrfectStorm | Friday Night Ops