Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poor performance

MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176

I like Vanguard, I do.  However I'm always noticing pretty crappy performace overall from the game.  FPS seems to be in the 30-50 range, sometimes dropping down to 15-25 with noticable screen jerking.  I'm running on max settings which doesn't seem to be a problem in other games (GW2 85-90+fps, AoC 100+fps etc.)

Am I missing something?  Are others experiencing this too?

System is as follows, 

i5 3570K

16GB Ram

3GB GTX 660

Win7

Comments

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    This game has had TERRIBLE optimization for its entire sad life. When it originally came out, the "effective" system requirements of this game were so high, it was silly. I think SOE made a half-assed attempt at cleaning up the code years ago, but it reportedly did not do much. So no, it is probably not you.
  • GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87

I don't think the game engine is optimized very well so that has a lot to do with it.  Try to go to the performance tab and put a checkmark on the first 3 radial buttons.  That improved my performance a lot, and they weren't default check.  I don't remember the names of them because i'm not at home/online.  I'm running the i-7 3570, 8GB ram, and a 6870.  I'm pegged at 60 most of the times unless there's a lot of people on the screen (40s-60s)

Sadly it can be totally gamebreaking for people, which is really disappointing because it's so much fun in game :(

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by Groot

I don't think the game engine is optimized very well so that has a lot to do with it.  Try to go to the performance tab and put a checkmark on the first 3 radial buttons.  That improved my performance a lot, and they weren't default check.  I don't remember the names of them because i'm not at home/online.  I'm running the i-7 3570, 8GB ram, and a 6870.  I'm pegged at 60 most of the times unless there's a lot of people on the screen (40s-60s)

Sadly it can be totally gamebreaking for people, which is really disappointing because it's so much fun in game :(

Yeah that is a shame, too bad.  Not enough though to make me quit though.  Just gotta live with it.  

• DirkinDirkin Member Posts: 78

Yes, most of this is ude to the engine optimization or lack thereof. It is unfortunately one of the remaiing downsides of that wonderful launch back in 07.

The good news, however, is both that there are quite a few tweaks you can do to improve yoru performance, and they are currently in the process of re-writing the network layer of the engine so you should see pretty much all the server lag disappear once it is finished.

In the meantime, there's 1 tweak in particularly which really helps. For some reason the game config files were set up to run with a 32MB cache. I have no idea why they set it so small, I guess just because this was 2007. Anyway, after you load up the launcher and it checks everything, before you click play, you can edit the sysconfig.ini and increase the 32MB cache to 256MB (what I use), save it, click play, and your game runs much smoother.

Unfortunately, every time you run the launcher it will replace this ini file again, so you have to change it each time, which is annoying. But it makes the game work much better.

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by Dirkin

Yes, most of this is ude to the engine optimization or lack thereof. It is unfortunately one of the remaiing downsides of that wonderful launch back in 07.

The good news, however, is both that there are quite a few tweaks you can do to improve yoru performance, and they are currently in the process of re-writing the network layer of the engine so you should see pretty much all the server lag disappear once it is finished.

In the meantime, there's 1 tweak in particularly which really helps. For some reason the game config files were set up to run with a 32MB cache. I have no idea why they set it so small, I guess just because this was 2007. Anyway, after you load up the launcher and it checks everything, before you click play, you can edit the sysconfig.ini and increase the 32MB cache to 256MB (what I use), save it, click play, and your game runs much smoother.

Unfortunately, every time you run the launcher it will replace this ini file again, so you have to change it each time, which is annoying. But it makes the game work much better.

I will give this a try and follow up, thanks!

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Mdpats

I like Vanguard, I do.  However I'm always noticing pretty crappy performace overall from the game.  FPS seems to be in the 30-50 range, sometimes dropping down to 15-25 with noticable screen jerking.  I'm running on max settings which doesn't seem to be a problem in other games (GW2 85-90+fps, AoC 100+fps etc.)

System is as follows, 

i5 3570K

16GB Ram

3GB GTX 660

Win7

this game although i love it was badly optimized.i have a top pc and i get the same.reminds me of another SOE game..eq2.but i love eq2 as well.

• DizzlerDizzler Member Posts: 231

System is as follows, 

i5 3570K

16GB Ram

3GB GTX 660

Win7

As weird as this is we basically have the exact same system. i do however have the 690 i play on everything FULLY maxed out and have not expiernced this problem. prior to the 690 i had SLI running x2 gigabyte 260 SOC still no problems. i would suspect something is wrong.  What is your connection speed? try out speedtest.net see if you have enough bandwidth. I would also try updating your Video card drivers and possibly play with some settings in game.  Some users do have problems but it may not be with their system instead it could be Sony side sservers which they are currently replacing to make the game run smoother. you can read about it here.

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/index.php?threads/design-update-december-2012.677/

let me know what you try, you shouldnt be experiencing such bad performance. sorry for the lack of punctuation and spelling. typing this from my phone lol :)

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Hmm, it wasn't that bad for me, long ago.  I had a top of the line gaming computer when it released, and I would get the stuttering, but not nearly the problems a lot of other people had.  They reduced the polygon count of a lot of the graphics I think to lessen the stutter. 

When I stopped playing, and that was long ago, it wasn't bad at all, I can't imagine with the set-up you have, that it should be this bad.  I mean I had like a gtx 260 and it wasn't that bad, and your setup is much better than that now.  Maybe a trick someone can share for you to get it working better.

I really liked Vanguard, but stopped playing when they stopped supporting the PvP server, and their was a big exedous.  Didn't want to move to a pve server, wasn't a big pvper, but it was nice to be able to do it when I wanted. 

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

System is as follows, 

i5 3570K

16GB Ram

3GB GTX 660

Win7

Yes this seems to be inherant in the game, I have spoken to people who have SSD hard drives and it has improved performance for them.  But yes when I go into a new area or dungeons sometime I do get freezing or lag for awhile

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

System is as follows, 

i5 3570K

16GB Ram

3GB GTX 660

Win7

I am on a laptop that is not nearly as good as your computer, but it runs about the same for me on max, so stands to reason that it is not your computer. You will hitch when you hit a new sector on the map. That is just how it is. However, seems like things run ok in other places.

I would be curious to find out if an SSD runs VG better than a conventional one. You didn't mention what sort of hard disc you have (I have a conventional one).

My biggest beef with the game is not so much the game engine performance but rather that of the servers. I have a ping of 280 on average on the European server for some reason that at times can go up to 10k. This happened to me lastnight and my character got killed in the bottom of a dungeon.

If SOE fixed that issue, I would subscribe to this game in a heartbeat. I am not subbing until I can play without those serious lagspikes because this is the only game that does this that I play. It is not my ISP because it runs all other MMORPGs and online games in a stable manner with pings usually never going above 160.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

System is as follows, 

i5 3570K

16GB Ram

3GB GTX 660

Win7

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz | ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard | G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (PC3 10666) | 2 x XFX Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 | Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB SSD | Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive | Silverstone ST1000-P 1000W Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02B ATX Case | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

I built that PC 2 to 2.5 years ago.  I can max everything out and still get 100 fps in most situations.  However, no matter the rig, there will be some situations that will cause you to lag, it's just part of the optimization issue that someone else brought up.

I know others that run this game very smoothly and some pretty basic laptops, so I'm not sure what the secret formula for hardware is.  One thing I know for sure is a SSD helps tremendously.

There are also a lot of good tweaking guides avaialble in the Vanguard forums that will help you dial things in.  I would say your rig should be able to run the game very well with some adjustments to settings.

• TsumoTsumo Member UncommonPosts: 49

Just started playing Vanguard myself and I was also getting crappy performance withs lots of screen stuttering/jerking.

Found this great fix on the forums 

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/index.php?threads/found-amazing-fix-for-input-lag-hitching-when-turning-etc.803/

I now play on max everything with no problems what so ever.

Hopefully works for you ;)

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

System is as follows, 

i5 3570K

16GB Ram

3GB GTX 660

Win7

Something is wrong... with that rig you should run better... on my GTX 570 core i7 I get better overal rates that that, with 2x2 supersampling... Vanguard you will see takes more horsepower than most games, specificaly the network code is horrid ( although rumor is they are working on that but we shall see )...

Try digging through the archived forums ( in vanguard officail there are some guides to optimization there )

Also, run Vnaguard as HIGH priority and if that is a quad core QPU i would run Vanguard on cores 2,3,4 

BTW don't feel bad, i recently blew my 570 and upgraded to 670, vanguard showed little difference, but other games i am seeing 50% performance gains or more. I do notice if you are on late when no one is around, i get the best overall framerates... ( this is not with people on screen either ) that tells me there is server lag of some kind holding me up.

make sure latest drivers etc...