Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Charging for Beta

mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283

This is a statement that I have seen thrown around by people when a game releases and is in piss poor shape.

But it got me wondering. If a company (lets go indie or non AAA.) was developing an MMO, and due to whatever reason they needed cash (for this topic lets assume they did not want to sell out to a big gaming company, or Kickstarter was truely not enough to get it done.)  

It was a game that you enjoyed playing but could clearly see that it needed work. So they decided to start a paid beta. Fully disclosing the reasons why they were trying to do this, and to what the money would actually be going for.

Would you pay to beta?

Personally I think for the right reasons I could see myself paying.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

Comments

• NatjurNatjur Member UncommonPosts: 125

If a game was in trouble in beta and needed cash and therefore was selling beta,  I don't believe it will be able to turn it around so I am not going to waste my money on it. Too many games are getting to release and still not worth paying for. I have been burnt on a few games lately and not going to spend cash on any new games until AFTER release and after a reading a few reviews.

Too many players are falling for the hype of a game and paying hard cash long before the game is released and the game never getting to a 'worth it' state.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    For me, it really depends on the game.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I'd worry about the sustainability of a company in financial trouble so soon... if it fails that's money wasted. On the other hand, I pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 which effectively bought my way into the Beta so I can't say I haven't already done this. However I also had full confidence in ANet as a company, which makes a difference.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• steelrain666steelrain666 Member UncommonPosts: 140
    I you want to pay to play beta thats fine, if you want to wait till the game comes out that fine too
  • mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Well I know the Question was wrote slightly slanted but i think you missed the qualifiers. I never said "And it was Terrible" I said "You enjoyed it, but could tell it needed work."

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

They call them soft launches now and firefall is probably the most well known example of a company doing it. They're pretty open about it. It's free to play but you can buy founders packs and they have a cash shop. The game is going to stay in " beta " till they think it's ready to call it launched. There's no real date in mind.

I wouldn't pay a sub for a " paid beta " but Ihave no issues with a f2p doing it and selling founder cash shop items. At least ppl can try it and see what they're buying into and also have the freedom to come and go as they please without being " locked in " with a sub fee.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by mrputts
    Well I know the Question was wrote slightly slanted but i think you missed the qualifiers. I never said "And it was Terrible" I said "You enjoyed it, but could tell it needed work."

More than likely not. If my perception is that they are doing the paid beta to obtain funds to keep progressing, that's a big red flag for me.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

More than likely not. If my perception is that they are doing the paid beta to obtain funds to keep progressing, that's a big red flag for me.

i had to pay Fileplanet $10.00 to beta WOW before the open beta

it was a promotion between Blizzard and Fileplanet

-- the company may have the funds

• AranisusAranisus Member UncommonPosts: 30
    No. Players should be invited to beta tests to help devs looking for bugs in game before official release. While thinking about that, devs should even pay beta testers for helping.
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

No. I think the idea of paying to do someone else's job to be ridiculous.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Aranisus
    No. Players should be invited to beta tests to help devs looking for bugs in game before official release. While thinking about that, devs should even pay beta testers for helping.

And they should buy you a pony !

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Yes I would barring the game was worthy of my time and something I want to play.  Seeing as there are very few indie projects who have ever appealed to me I, luckily will never have to worry about it.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Other.

If I know the game is going f2p at release, no since the majority of the items will be obtainable eventually through gameplay or item mall.

If I know the game is going subscription, maybe since I trust games with subs a little more than f2p to deliver decent content at release.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by Natjur

If a game was in trouble in beta and needed cash and therefore was selling beta,  I don't believe it will be able to turn it around so I am not going to waste my money on it. Too many games are getting to release and still not worth paying for. I have been burnt on a few games lately and not going to spend cash on any new games until AFTER release and after a reading a few reviews.

Too many players are falling for the hype of a game and paying hard cash long before the game is released and the game never getting to a 'worth it' state.

I was burned by Aion, Rift, etc. Thanks to Rift's beta, I'm staying far away from them, even if they're free.

• SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    It really depends wich game.. for me.
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

If the game is fully fleshed out, with the amount of content Age of Wushu has, then heck yeah charge for it.

Even Planetside 2 was charge worthy, to a lesser extent, but  they charged too much.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    The only one I've done it for is Path of Exile and that's because it only costed $10.00.  PoE will be a totally free to play game as well.  I'm not going to preorder a game to get into its beta however.  Made this mistake on a couple of games and I won't do that again.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

"there's a sucker born every minute".....P.T. Barnum

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

No. I won't pay for beta.

However, if someone else wants to do it, who am i to stop him/her?

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I dunno why this is such an issue. Most games do not charge for beta and even the ones that have a founders pack go thru the time honored trend of randomly picking a max number of people to have at least two beta weekends for free prior to launch and make it so that once chosen they won't be unchosen for the next beta weekend.

I'm sure this is secretly directed at Neverwinter because I continue to see over-reactions concerning this game in the forums over and over again (nothing new there that's for sure.)

If people want to prepay for the benefits of getting some extra coin to start off with some extras that will benefit them all the way up into the last bit of the leveling process, who cares it only helps the players by inserting a burst of cash into the the process of ongoing developement with devs who are actually using that model, ie. Cryptic is continuing working on new classes to be released shortly after launch according to the Developer Zeke. Couldn't hurt to have that money there so that if they did forget something essential, like a better chat window or a LFG system then they'd have the cash to put it in there ASAP after launch.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

from my experience "paid betas" are code for "our game sucks."

but of course it ultimately depends on the player.

so no.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

So basically, they're just selling a really crappy game and calling it a "beta."

No.

You make me like charity

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Like hell I'd pay!  Why would I pay just to test their game for them?
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Yeah  euh...my principle is very simple.

Simply put, I need to be seduiced and convinced to buy a game. Not the other way around.

I know it would be a beautiful and touching story if devs are able to raise the funds and create a succesfull game with very loyal customers.  But I don't really see myself part in that story.

Honestly, if you financially help the game grow, you have the right on a small part of the profits. It's an investment in a profit organisation.

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482
    If I liked the game and could see the dev team was doing all they could, I definitely would. One more sub isn't going to kill my bank account.