Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It will be hard to find legit reviews about Sim City 5

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

There is gonna be the group of people going around the review sites that automatically hate everything EA

There is gonna be the group of people going around the review sites that automatically post about how they always need an internet connection. Which isn't a problem at all for me, since I always have internet. And even tribal people in middle of jungles are connected with the internet through phones now. So its probably only pirates that actually care about that.

Gonna suck though, I want to actually see legit revews from the pros/cons of Sim City 5, but with everyone auto hating EA and online, its gonna be hard to find stuff about it.

Now I know reviews aren't the go all to decide. But they tend to help my purchase a lot, and have saved me a lot of money...I usually agree with them when I play the game later through a friend or something. Sometimes of course, there is a game that scores 3-4 from player reviews, and I end up really liking it.

Not talking about major game reviewers btw, those are bought and paid for, I don't listen to them at all. I like to see actual people's feedback.

Luckily, some of the underground (not pirated) sites will have people posting about it with legit reasons. Guess I'll see what they say.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Sim City 5 is a day one purchase for me regardless.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by BadSpock

To be honest, it would for me to...and actually, luckily work (I'm a handyman for very niche work), has been really busy. But, I really have to be careful with my purchases and can really only buy one game every 3-4 months. At least one 50-60 dollar game.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Same here ;-) I pre-ordered the limited edition box, but was one day late the store told me to be certain to get it, so as backup they've also added the special edition box for me *keeps fingers crossed for LE box*

And I still have SC2K, SC3K and SC4. Sadly I've lost the box with the 3.5" OS2 discs for SC where I olso put the Windows CD for SC. Would love to still have it though I can't play that version anymore ;)

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

There is gonna be the group of people going around the review sites that automatically post about how they always need an internet connection. Which isn't a problem at all for me, since I always have internet. And even tribal people in middle of jungles are connected with the internet through phones now. So its probably only pirates that actually care about that.

I take it you haven't experienced it when single-player game is unplayable because of some f***** server somewhere is down and thus copy protection prevents you from playing your legally bought game. I actually once pirate copied a game I had earlier bought legally because the copy protection made me so mad.

I think it's unnecessary to complain about SimCity's reviews when the same problem is with every new game. So many of the reviewers are either trolls or blind fanboys that it's hard to find a legit review no matter what game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Wouldn't play SC5 for any reason, doesn't matter who makes it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    Pre-ordered the digital deluxe. Looking forward to this title. Sim City Societies was such a let down.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I've already preordered the digital deluxe, but I wonder, is it possible to play it effectively on a touchscreen? I dont have one, but it sounds really cool if its at all possible.
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

i heard the game will have multiplayer mode. but i have no idea how its will work.

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• DethevanDethevan Member UncommonPosts: 60

Actually, this one isn't single player for the most part.  The regions you build in can have other people in them similar to Cities XL.  The cities also benefit from one another too.  They can also work on a regional project to boost all cities stuff, although it takes alot of resources to do it.

Of course if you wanted to you could control all the cities in a region, but I think I'd rather have other people move in and help out.  I mean, it goes as far as if you do not have a fire station and a building catches on fire, the firemen from another city will come to yours a put it out.

On another note, I already pre-ordered it and can't wait for the 5th.  This is one game I actually do not mind the whole "always on" connection just because you are playing with other people in the region, not just by yourself.

Currently playing EverQuest 2

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by Dethevan

Actually, this one isn't single player for the most part.  The regions you build in can have other people in them similar to Cities XL.  The cities also benefit from one another too.  They can also work on a regional project to boost all cities stuff, although it takes alot of resources to do it.

Of course if you wanted to you could control all the cities in a region, but I think I'd rather have other people move in and help out.  I mean, it goes as far as if you do not have a fire station and a building catches on fire, the firemen from another city will come to yours a put it out.

On another note, I already pre-ordered it and can't wait for the 5th.  This is one game I actually do not mind the whole "always on" connection just because you are playing with other people in the region, not just by yourself.

yeah, that is why I'm very interested in this one. Seems more like an MMO than previous sim cities, a lot of online stuff. I kinda always got bored when it was just me.

That and since I use Steam (though SC5 will probably be on origins)...I always have to be online anyway, along with everyone else who uses Steam. Guess there is offline, but you have to be online to turn it on, so I never actually use it.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Actually, this one isn't single player for the most part.  The regions you build in can have other people in them similar to Cities XL.  The cities also benefit from one another too.  They can also work on a regional project to boost all cities stuff, although it takes alot of resources to do it. Of course if you wanted to you could control all the cities in a region, but I think I'd rather have other people move in and help out.  I mean, it goes as far as if you do not have a fire station and a building catches on fire, the firemen from another city will come to yours a put it out. On another note, I already pre-ordered it and can't wait for the 5th.  This is one game I actually do not mind the whole "always on" connection just because you are playing with other people in the region, not just by yourself.

So is it going to be like the original CitiesXL? Cuz we all know how that went.
    I sure hope they learned from all the mistakes XL made.

yeah, that is why I'm very interested in this one. Seems more like an MMO than previous sim cities, a lot of online stuff. I kinda always got bored when it was just me.

That and since I use Steam (though SC5 will probably be on origins)...I always have to be online anyway, along with everyone else who uses Steam. Guess there is offline, but you have to be online to turn it on, so I never actually use it.

Yeah as far as I know it's only on Origins or a hard copy.  Wish they would have it on Steam though, guess they will later on down the road. *shrug*

Originally posted by birdycephon

So is it going to be like the original CitiesXL? Cuz we all know how that went.
    I sure hope they learned from all the mistakes XL made.

Only similarities would be that the cities share a region and can interact with one another, as far as I can tell, that's where it ends.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

There is gonna be the group of people going around the review sites that automatically hate everything EA

True but the same can be said for any game developer. 

Drama and exagerations aside, there are people right here in this US of A who do not have reliable internet service. Most can be found in rural areas. Pirates actually don't give a crap about DRM schemes like this because they usually find a way around the protection.

Gonna suck though, I want to actually see legit revews from the pros/cons of Sim City 5, but with everyone auto hating EA and online, its gonna be hard to find stuff about it.

Why on earth whould a legit site (IGN, 1Up, etc) not give a fair review of the game? I mean, every preview I've read on line is positive. Sure, most sites do mention the controversy surrounding EA's DRM scheme but that hasn't had any effect on any site I've looked into. Most are calling this most anticipated game of the year! Hard to find stuff about it??? EA's PR department is hyping the heck out of SC5. Now you average poster on game sites (such as this one) will have nothing but vitrol for the game but that's another story...

Now I know reviews aren't the go all to decide. But they tend to help my purchase a lot, and have saved me a lot of money...I usually agree with them when I play the game later through a friend or something. Sometimes of course, there is a game that scores 3-4 from player reviews, and I end up really liking it.

Yes, reviews do tend to influence the public but only if the majority of reviews are negative. Just beacuse one site writes a negative review but everyone else writes generally positive ones, the sales impact will be minimal. The same works for movies. That's why sites like Metacritics & Rotten Tomatoes are so influential: They put in one place a large number of reviews and asses an overall score. This has a much bigger impact on the buying public.

Not talking about major game reviewers btw, those are bought and paid for, I don't listen to them at all. I like to see actual people's feedback.

Now you perplex  me. So all proffesional reviews are bad because they are "bought and paid" but you put more emphasis on your average anonymous gamer with an axe to grind? Ok, whatever but you should have no problem weeding out the legit reviews from the EA hater ones. How you ask? Just ignore any "review:" that starts with "EA sucks" or starts to bash EA or DRMs from sentence one without actually mentionong anything about the game. Just takes a bit of effort to be an informed consumer of online information. By the same token, beware of over positive reviews from fanbois. The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.

Luckily, some of the underground (not pirated) sites will have people posting about it with legit reasons. Guess I'll see what they say.

I have no doubt there will be thousands of  "legit" reviews within days of release.

I for one am still on the fence about buying the game or not. I've been a fan of the franchise since I bought my copy of SimCity (1) back in 1990. I've bought every version of the game and it's derivatives (SimFarm, SimTower, SimEarth, etc) up to and including SimCity 4. However, I'm sick and tired of companies like EA and Ubisoft and their annoying anti-pirating schemes that only seem to hurt the legitamate user and has little or no impact on piracy. I'm also leary of always on-line schemes for single player games. My worries? What happenes if my ISP goes down. What if the company that makes the game goes out of business or stops supporting the game? Will  my game be playable them?

Just my 2 cents and I apologize in advance for all the spelling errors...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

There is just going to be as many haters as there will be paid reviewers praising the game. Honestly, look at both and you can find the middle ground often where the game is, with reviewers focusing on praising the good stuff overly so (taking advantage of it) and negative reviewers will bash the things in game that are bad overly so (taking advantage of it being bad to focus efforts on it to make the game look worst).

Either way, its all about seeing the propaganda and hate and find the 'truth' in each one or maybe finding a middle ground review, ultimately through trying the game for yourself to judge.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Always Online is the result of pirating.

Pirates turning to pirating copies because of Always Online is both hilarious and self defeating.

Pay for the games you feel are worth playing.

Wait for demo and/or reviews if you are unsure.

All pirates can go to jail - and then straight to Hell for forcing legitimate, legal players like myself to jump through hoops to play legally purchased games.

It's funny really, PC gamers are killing PC gaming and forcing devs to console because PC gamers are too cheap/stupid to realize what they are doing.

As a developer/publisher, do you want 30-40% of each box sale for console version or 0% of each pirated copy for PC?

Or as a developer/publisher do you want 100% of each digital sale for PC version and force Always Online?

HMMMMMM

Not rocket science people.

You reap what you sow.

Besides, it's 2013. When are you NOT online?

I could play MMOs on a laptop using my cell phone to tether internet through 4GLTE.

The only times I'm in an area w/o WiFi I'm out in nature doing stuff outside and don't need WiFi anyway.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I pre-ordered this but I'm thinking about cancelling. It's going to be pretty much the same Sim City game as I've played before and I'm sure I'll play through in a week. I can think of better ways to spend that $60.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Always Online is the result of pirating.

Pirates turning to pirating copies because of Always Online is both hilarious and self defeating.

Pay for the games you feel are worth playing.

Wait for demo and/or reviews if you are unsure.

All pirates can go to jail - and then straight to Hell for forcing legitimate, legal players like myself to jump through hoops to play legally purchased games.

It's funny really, PC gamers are killing PC gaming and forcing devs to console because PC gamers are too cheap/stupid to realize what they are doing.

As a developer/publisher, do you want 30-40% of each box sale for console version or 0% of each pirated copy for PC?

Or as a developer/publisher do you want 100% of each digital sale for PC version and force Always Online?

HMMMMMM

Not rocket science people.

You reap what you sow.

Besides, it's 2013. When are you NOT online?

I could play MMOs on a laptop using my cell phone to tether internet through 4GLTE.

The only times I'm in an area w/o WiFi I'm out in nature doing stuff outside and don't need WiFi anyway.

Not everyone is as fortunate or tech savy as you. Again, there are many reasons why someone would not have reliable internet service 100% of the time. Again, why do I need to be online to play a solo game? Also worrisome to some is what happens if the company behind your on-line all the time game goes under? When the servers go down, will the game still be playable? What if the company decided not to support the game any loner, will I still be able to play the game? All there sre legit concerns from people who worry about this and other DRM schemes. Not everyone who  has concerns about DRM are pirates...

Speaking of pirates. DRM schemes like this hurt legit players more than pirates. pirates seem to find away around any protection scheme within days of a title releasing. So, who are they trying to deter: the pirate of the legit user? And is piracy really so rampant that we need protection? A study from last year by the BSA reports only about 5% of "gamers" regularly or exclusively use pirated content. The largest percentage of pirates only "ocasionally " or "rarely" pirate games. 38% of gamers never use pirated software. Again, does seem high but not nearly as high as Ubisofts ridiculous "95%" claim. Also, the above are world statistics. When you break it down by country we get:

• Most of the pirating happens in countries with emerging economies.
    • The US (the largest consumer of software $ wise) had the LOWEST piracy rate at 19% total (all-the-time/ocasional/very rarely pirates).
    • Countries with highest piracy rates are China, Indonesia and Venezuela.

Another thing, every pirate does not equal a potential loss of a sale. "Most experts" disagree on a specific number but most agree roughly 40 to 50% or pirates would not/could not buy software if they couldn't obtain it by piracy.

So as you can see, not nearly a white/black issue and some make it out to be...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

To be honest, it would for me to...and actually, luckily work (I'm a handyman for very niche work), has been really busy. But, I really have to be careful with my purchases and can really only buy one game every 3-4 months. At least one 50-60 dollar game.

Its EA Its going to be even more basic and made for consoles or something.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I have gleaned more information from watching a number of YouTube videos posted by players who got into the beta weekends. Some have commentary while they are playing, and some are just simply a video of them playing set to music. Many of them speak about the bugs they've found (and reported), and they speak of some things that disappoint them to a degree (such as weird mechanics with electricity delivery).

So, with the good and bad I have seen from a bunch of the videos, I decided to purchase on day 1. I also have a number of friends who are going to play, and we're going to have a region together. I suspect that this will be one of the more interesting parts of the game.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Here is the most legit review ever.  Its being published by EA so it will be great for 20 minutes before you have to buy a DLC to continue.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I think if there is one type game to trust EA in making, it is in making simulation games.

Despite all the DRM crap, EA has always make decent sims.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Don't get me wrong.  EA usually makes a good game.  The thing with EA games is that you have to deal with all the stupid crap EA puts you through in order to enjoy the game.  Its only gotten worse so really it has to be an extremely fantastic game to get over the fact its EA publishing it.