Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2 Very Bad Preformance.

RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

So I actually decide to giver EQ2 a try after a friend told me how it improved and honestly I think the items were crappy as hell so I rolled a character used the cash shop to make my character look decent I purchased a gold plan, and put $50 for cosmetic purposes and a house.

Well shortly after actually starting to play the game I noticed Lag, I was like What the Heck is going on.

I finally discovered my G15 keyboard had EverQuest 2 stats on it so I looked at them and my god.

150-200 MS Ping?

6-30 FPS?

Yes I tried running max graphics I did things like disabled shadows, even lowered a lot of graphics settings but still very bad ping and poor fps so now I got stuck contacting sony for support on how to fix the issue.

The problem isn't my comptuer and I can say why.

Every Game I have played from sony LAGS, EQ2, PlanetSide 2, both laggy  at max graphics yet my computer should be able to handle it just fine.

I am running Quad Core 3.0 AMD Phenom II

8GB Ram

7770 1GB VideoCard.

I can fully max out 3 EVE Online clients with very little lag all max graphics.

I can run multiple instances of other games as well without lag, and play the latest games like Aliens, DOTA 2, League, Age OF Conan, TSW, TERA all without lag.

But with EQ2 I noticed that my graphics card only goes up to 35% use when playing in fact it eats up more CPU Usage than my GPU, that is extremely odd.

My friend suggest disable webcam because it had headtracking I did that in EQ2 disabled it same bad lag, the game is just not playable in this state.

On top of this they do need to improve armors, and cosmetics in this game character models look like trash I mean the way I see EQ2 its a decent game quest and gameplay wise offers a bit that other games don't but try false advetisement when they show character models in their AD's and such its okay for an old game but could be done better.

Comments

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

EQ2 does not run well on ultra high.   Durring raid I turn my settings to performance so I can get good fps.  I only run on high when doing groups or by myself.

What you need to understand is that eq2 hits the cpu hard, and is not optimized for vidoe cards.   They made the mistake thinking the performance would be on the cpu and did not realize what the new gpu's could do.  

You have to consider that this game is 8 years old and has always taxed computers.  

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

My guess would be single threaded renderer which gains little advantage from multi-cores, and the majority of pre-processing done on CPU (not offloaded to GPU).

In such an environment, having more cores or faster GPU won't do much for performance gains.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by XAPGames

My guess would be single threaded renderer which gains little advantage from multi-cores, and the majority of pre-processing done on CPU (not offloaded to GPU).

In such an environment, having more cores or faster GPU won't do much for performance gains.

Your guess is right SOE tech support have stated this on a number of occasions. 

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

I can add something about the shadows. As default, they are set to be under cpu performance. You have an option to change that to gpu. Also by doing that, you get much nicer looking shadows.

I have a Phenom II X4 965 myself, and a 6870 videocard. My EQ2 runs great! 

Do some adjusting, and you should be ok. I hope! :)

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

It's already been stated but I'll address your issue one more time.  EQ2 wants a FAST SINGLE CORE CPU.  Your issue is in fact your computer.  Not that it's a bad system by any means but it is a bad system for EQ2.  When the game was in development Intel and AMD were in the single core cpu wars of old and everyone expected they would get faster and faster but then physics kicked in and prevented that from being a viable option.  Thus they moved onto multi-core cpus and the EQ2 engine has been left wanting ever since.

Try typing "EQ2 performance issues" into google and you will see what I mean.

As far as some of your issues with other Sony games those actually can be attributed to your overall system specs.  Your GPU is fine for playing games but it's an entry level card and you really shouldn't expect to get high-max gfx options at playable rates out of it on modern games.  If you do, great, it means those game have been coded to work on older hardware.  I'm just saying you shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't and Sony isn't really well known for catering to older systems.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by miguksaram

It's already been stated but I'll address your issue one more time.  EQ2 wants a FAST SINGLE CORE CPU.  Your issue is in fact your computer.  Not that it's a bad system by any means but it is a bad system for EQ2.  When the game was in development Intel and AMD were in the single core cpu wars of old and everyone expected they would get faster and faster but then physics kicked in and prevented that from being a viable option.  Thus they moved onto multi-core cpus and the EQ2 engine has been left wanting ever since.

Try typing "EQ2 performance issues" into google and you will see what I mean.

As far as some of your issues with other Sony games those actually can be attributed to your overall system specs.  Your GPU is fine for playing games but it's an entry level card and you really shouldn't expect to get high-max gfx options at playable rates out of it on modern games.  If you do, great, it means those game have been coded to work on older hardware.  I'm just saying you shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't and Sony isn't really well known for catering to older systems.

Yep, I concur with this poster. Just came back to EQ2 after a long break and it runs around 40 fps on high settings with all of the pizzaz on a much worse machine (and a laptop on top of it). It is highly playable and only seems to drop in areas where there is a lot of water, particle effects, or other reflective surfaces. You could probably just disable those in the graphics options for areas where your computer does not handle them well.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.