Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CU #2 on the "In Development" list?

grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Well, I guess something had to replace Darkfall on the hype train.

Can't wait for the next 12 months and the all the hype train wrecks: ESO, CU, Pathfinder, WoD.

All that crying is going to be epic. I better invest in a boat. lol

Optional PvP = No PvP

Comments

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek

Can't wait for the next 12 months and the all the hype train wrecks: ESO, CU, Pathfinder, WoD.

ESO is going to be a huge wreck I think.   The storm is brewing too similar to the SWTOR hype storm and that sucker still has remnants a year after it made landfall.   Recipie for a hype train wreck: 1 very popular IP, 1 developer (or publishers) first MMO, 5 or more "cool" new surface features, and pre-heating the hype over a year or more before it is finished.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Funny thing is CU isnt even in development and probably wont ever get there (2 million is a LOT to ask for)
  • QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Don't feed the old guy troll.
  • Lore84Lore84 Member Posts: 69
    Better be a pretty big boat to haul you along in. Bon voyage.

Ex-DAOC, Excalibur

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

The problem with the developers of Darkfall is that they have their hearts in the right place, they just don't have a damn clue in how to execute properly.  The developers of Shadowbane had the same issue.

I'm pretty optimistic about this project because Mark Jacobs knows how to execute.  Daoc is proof of that.  I think the success of WoW and the bottom line is what caused him to stray from the path.  The biggest problem I saw with WAR is that it tried too hard to cater to two different camps when it came to PvP:  The instanced vs. open world crowds.  I can still remember screaming in beta forums for WAR about making a choice between one or the other.  But, the allure of the success of WoW and the bottom line got in the way.  What you ended up with was a watered down version of open world pvp in which the grindy instances sucked the life out of open world pvp.  And to top it off, those of us out in the open world got annoyed as all hell when we couldn't cap the tier because we were losing in these invisible instanced hamster wheel battles going on.  Ultimately, the instanced lovers didn't stick around either since you can just as easily get your fill of that type of gameplay in WoW.

I think this unchained version of Mark Jacobs is going to be good for the genre.  A good vision plus good execution is going to equal a successful mmo.

• TadderTadder Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Qallidexz
    Don't feed the old guy troll.

What do old trolls eat? Bones and tears likely don't go well with dentures. 

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by AerlinKoba

Exactly. So many tears to float around on.

In all serious, though, it's a side effect of the state of MMOs these days. Look at the game list here at MMORPG.com and sort it by rating. In the first thirty on the list, only two are released. My perception is that people will latch onto anything in hopes that it will be better than what is currently out there.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by Daranar

ESO is going to be a huge wreck I think.   The storm is brewing too similar to the SWTOR hype storm and that sucker still has remnants a year after it made landfall.   Recipie for a hype train wreck: 1 very popular IP, 1 developer (or publishers) first MMO, 5 or more "cool" new surface features, and pre-heating the hype over a year or more before it is finished.

ESO has hype?  It has no where close to the hype SWTOR and GW2 had for 3+ years before release, from what I see it has a lot of hate.  Which is probably good for the game itself, people willgo in with low expectations.  With SWTOR and GW2 people were hyped and sorerly disappointed.

Originally posted by AerlinKoba

Exactly. So many tears to float around on.

In all serious, though, it's a side effect of the state of MMOs these days. Look at the game list here at MMORPG.com and sort it by rating. In the first thirty on the list, only two are released. My perception is that people will latch onto anything in hopes that it will be better than what is currently out there.

With that logic, wouldn't a game that goes against the current trend of MMOs prove to be in a better state?  And if I told you that the fundamental plans for CU are to go against said trend,  would that change your mind again about why people are hyping this game?   You're either a troll, of which I can't do much about for ya, or  you have this bad habit of painting things negatively with too broad a stroke.  Just because the landscape is littered with the failures of WoW clones in the MMO industry, doesn't automatically doom this project to failure.  Especially if the underlying goal is to go against the trend of WoW clones and "modern" mmo gaming theory.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

Are you guys expecting a train wreck or a ship wreck?  Ships make landfall, trains are already there and (life)boats are not much use in a train wreck.

Originally posted by craftseeker

Are you guys expecting a train wreck or a ship wreck?  Ships make landfall, trains are already there and (life)boats are not much use in a train wreck.

Gotta love mixed metaphors.   It looks like mr. fifty started down that path by first talking about a train and then his retirement boat.