Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upgrading my P.O.S PC

AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173

Hello all, so ive found i desperately need to upgrade my PC as i dont have the funds to buy a new one, i need your opinions on what to replace and what to replace it with, so below are my dxdiag results, and id like you to keep in mind im on a budget, id like the pc to run any game out now, or coming out on at least med-hi settings, thanks in advance.

System Model: MS-7390

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400 at 2.8GHz

RAM: Not sure of what type just know its got 2GB of memory

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 7300GT 

i know its not a lot to go on, but please help me out here guys!

Comments

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Buy another GPU. Used ATI 4850 or 5770 or Nvidia GTS450 should be just enough to have a balanced system.

Buy more DDR2 RAM. You want to have at least 4GB or even 8GB.

If you have any money left, buy some decent Power supply unit. This is very important, but often ovrelooked component.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by AgentAnarkii

Hello all, so ive found i desperately need to upgrade my PC as i dont have the funds to buy a new one, i need your opinions on what to replace and what to replace it with, so below are my dxdiag results, and id like you to keep in mind im on a budget, id like the pc to run any game out now, or coming out on at least med-hi settings, thanks in advance.

what is the budget?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Originally posted by eyelolled

what is the budget?

i dont wanna spend more than say 100 to 120 dollars

Originally posted by DeniZg

Buy another GPU. Used ATI 4850 or 5770 or Nvidia GTS450 should be just enough to have a balanced system.

Buy more DDR2 RAM. You want to have at least 4GB or even 8GB.

If you have any money left, buy some decent Power supply unit. This is very important, but often ovrelooked component.

how do i know which ram to buy when it comes to the number of pins, speed, etc  etc

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

upgrade your RAM to 4GB

take the rest of the money and SAVE it until you have enough to buy a new PC that is a bit more worthwhile. I'd suggest starting at $500 for a minimum.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

upgrade your RAM to 4GB

take the rest of the money and SAVE it until you have enough to buy a new PC that is a bit more worthwhile. I'd suggest starting at $500 for a minimum.

I think this is really good advice. So I say do that. Or hope you have a neighbor you don'l like who has a nice system, an easily jimmied door lock, and is a heavy sleeper. image

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322

That CPU came out what, 6-7 years ago? You aren't going to be able to play current let alone up and coming games at med-hi settings with the rig you currently have.

Eyeloled is right, buy more RAM and start saving your money for a whole new build.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

You could add memory, and also a budget card like a Radeon HD 6670.  That's not a terribly fast video card, but it sure is a whole lot faster than an ancient GeForce 7300 GT.  If you're used to gaming on a Geforce 7300 GT, then you'd probably be happy with the results of a Radeon HD 6670, as that would get you somewhere around 5-10 times the graphical performance of what you're used to.

Upgrading the processor probably isn't happening, as that's a Socket AM2 motherboard, not even AM2+.  You could check with MSI to see what processors it supports.  A new processor would push out of your budget, though.

• RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206

I checked your mobo,and from what I see it's quite old.

It supports only athlon 64x2 proccesors.

It can support up to 8 gig of ddr2 memory but that upgrade would cost you more than 200 dollars,

and it definitelly is not worth it.

Your mobo has 4 ram slots.

If the 2 gb you have are spread  on all those 4 slots,then in order to upgrade it you'd have to

replace them altogether.

If you already have 2x1gb ram ,you need to get an extra 2x1gb ram to upgrade to a total of 4 gb.

This will cost you something around 60 dollars.

That is half of the money you already got,and it just don't worth it.

Save your money ,until you have around 600 dollars,and build your own and new system.

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

upgrade your RAM to 4GB

This suggestion is the best one.  It's not going to do you much good to upgrade a GPU without also upgrading your CPU.  2 GB of RAM is really not enough for today's games.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

Ram 4g DDR 2 800 $ 52

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125403

GPU 6670, $70 with a $20 rebate= $50 after rebate

Thats pretty much within your budget and will help your system alot, hopefully until you can afford a new one. If you can limp along until saving around $600 or so then save the money. If its gonna be awhile then add the ram and gpu.

My advice is to start saving now no matter what you choose. Adding RAM and GPU will help for sure, but either way you will need to replace that PC soon to keep gaming on it.

okay so ive been thinking but would it be possible to buy this pc from dell which is only lacking graphics and then upgrade the graphics, heres the link 

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=fddwrp11&model_id=inspiron-660&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

okay so ive been thinking but would it be possible to buy this pc from dell which is only lacking graphics and then upgrade the graphics, heres the link 

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=fddwrp11&model_id=inspiron-660&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

No

you dont want to buy another low end PC to replace a low end PC. Your much better off either doing the minor upgrades suggested and making do until you can afford a much better PC, or saving money towards a decent one.

Trading mediocre for mediocre is not a good idea.

If you can come up with $450 to buy that Dell then bank it, slowly add to it until you reach around $700-$800 and get a decent PC.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

If you buy a $430 cheap junk computer and then want to upgrade it to a respectable $500 budget gaming desktop, expect to spend about an extra $450 on upgrades.  You'd be able to keep the optical drive and maybe some of the memory, and there'd probably be nothing else in the cheap junk computer worth keeping.

If you want a $500 budget gaming desktop, then get a $500 budget gaming desktop.  How much can you spend, anyway?