Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is AoC's population growing NOW? (18 Feb 2013)

DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Hoi guys. You that have been hanging around here for a while know that I'm an hopeless AoC-head. Have been playing this bitch now for 4 years :P That aside, I have been playing in very populated servers, and just 6 months back almost empty servers... But now, these days, AoC is  happening. It got much better at the start of 2013 really. In fact it's almost as if I want to say that the population is still growing on my server. Can anybody explain to me why? Why is this happening now? Game is not that different, compared to 1/2 year back if you forget about the Dragonspine free expansion...

Just asking out of curiosity.

The Ultimate Breakdown

Comments

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Age of Conan has a banner ad here at MMORPG.com. That might be contributing.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by DaSpack

Game is not that different now, compared to 1/2 year back when you forget about the Dragonspine free expansion adition..

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's not entirely true. TSW went b2p, Dragon's Spine launched, both generated some publicity toward Funcom and their games. Bugs were ironed out. Next to that the f2p model got a revamp and it's much better now (lol, how many times I said to them their f2p is not working and just chasing away curious people...).

So, anyone who is reached by the recent publicity and gives the game a try, finds a great, mostly bug-free game, free to play with very few restrictions, which is still looking awesome and has a very good gameplay.

Just my 2 cents :)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

If nothing else, it's got several years of added content under its belt. The game also has a decent F2P model with something for everyone in the cash shop.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by DaSpack

Game is not that different now, compared to 1/2 year back when you forget about the Dragonspine free expansion adition..

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's not entirely true. TSW went b2p, Dragon's Spine launched, both generated some publicity toward Funcom and their games. Bugs were ironed out. Next to that the f2p model got a revamp and it's much better now (lol, how many times I said to them their f2p is not working and just chasing away curious people...).

So, anyone who is reached by the recent publicity and gives the game a try, finds a great, mostly bug-free game, free to play with very few restrictions, which is still looking awesome and has a very good gameplay.

Just my 2 cents :)

Hmm this one might be of relevance..." the f2p model got a revamp and it's much better now". Did not think of this one as I am a subber and have always been a subber myself.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Most likely it's growing because TSW has put Funcom on (or back on) a lot of people's radars.

Some may have tried TSW and not really liked it, then noticed FC has another game called AoC which is also F2P...

Some may have tried TSW and really liked it, then decided to try out FC's other offerings...

But I'll bet that it has something to do with TSW, directly or indirectly.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Most likely it's growing because TSW has put Funcom on (or back on) a lot of people's radars.

Some may have tried TSW and not really liked it, then noticed FC has another game called AoC which is also F2P...

Some may have tried TSW and really liked it, then decided to try out FC's other offerings...

But I'll bet that it has something to do with TSW, directly or indirectly.

This was sort of it for me (recent emails from FC about TSW got me thinking about AoC).  I have been playing for the last month.  The changes to F2P helped as well.  it is a fun game.  Still a been there done that feeling but I enjoy the classes much more than most other games.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

I would really love it if this game picks up momentum again and becomes well populated.

So many people left when it didn't deliver on promises at the beginning, and I'm not knocking those people because it's an honest reason to leave, but they've improved on this game a lot since release.

If you're into really fun raids from 6 man all the way up to 24 man, then this game is absolutely top notch.  A lot of the content is so fun that I'll run people through it on my over-geared 80 just to experience it again.  My advice is to take your time leveling and run all the dungeons you can along the way because some of the most interesting dungeons in the game are pre-80 and believe me, you'll get to see the post 80 dungeons plenty.

PVP, on the other hand, is a complete waste of time.  It's gear based instead of skill based, the mini's are contrived and Shrines of Bori are mindblowingly "whaaat??".  If you want PVP, I'd look elsewhere.

Originally posted by h0urg1ass

If you're into really fun raids from 6 man all the way up to 24 man, then this game is absolutely top notch.  A lot of the content is so fun that I'll run people through it on my over-geared 80 just to experience it again. 

Indeed, and luckily lots of them were part of the f2p revamp. It was the 2nd worst decision (worst was the 4 class only option) by FC to restrict instances and raids... How do you want to lure players if they can't have a peak of your best elements?

I mean, by default I dislike endgame grind in games, so I rarely do raids or instances. But in AoC I just love to replay them again and again, and of course not for the loot :) Heck, when I first did AoK, it was so awesome I just sat at the entrance for days and replayed it with every pug that stumble across the area :) good ol' times.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Because it´s cool

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• neutrinoideneutrinoide Member UncommonPosts: 45

More peoples are joining the server deathwish in Age of conan. After taking a break, some player found some energy to grind a new Level 80.

If you are honest with yourself. You know Age of conan is overall the best mmo. It isn't the mmo I wish to play  (pre-cu swg fan) but the best available at the present.

• ZenzahZenzah Member Posts: 7

It is because last year's big names have somehow sizzled down and we are at that downtime of waiting for the next big thing in MMOs. SWTOR, GW2, Tera, TSW were some of the big names of last year. Naturally the MMO player will be hopping around to find and try new free to play MMOs and like a poster above mentioned, TSW did put AoC back into the radar.

However, do not be surprised when there will be a big decline as the new big MMOs come out. Some new MMO's will be The Elder Scrolls Online, The Repopulation, Archeage, Blade & Soul, Wildstar etc etc. Plus, the already established MMOs will be making new patches and tweaking their free to play Model.

Aion will have 3 new classes in next patch, SWTOR is increasing level cap with first xpac Rise of the Hutt Cartel. GW2, TSW etc will also be updating with more DLCs or patches.

But anyways it's nice to see AoC population growing regardless of why it is.

Originally posted by Zenzah

It is because last year's big names have somehow sizzled down and we are at that downtime of waiting for the next big thing in MMOs. SWTOR, GW2, Tera, TSW were some of the big names of last year. Naturally the MMO player will be hopping around to find and try new free to play MMOs and like a poster above mentioned, TSW did put AoC back into the radar.

However, do not be surprised when there will be a big decline as the new big MMOs come out. Some new MMO's will be The Elder Scrolls Online, The Repopulation, Archeage, Blade & Soul, Wildstar etc etc. Plus, the already established MMOs will be making new patches and tweaking their free to play Model.

Aion will have 3 new classes in next patch, SWTOR is increasing level cap with first xpac Rise of the Hutt Cartel. GW2, TSW etc will also be updating with more DLCs or patches.

But anyways it's nice to see AoC population growing regardless of why it is.

Do you believe any of these new titles will be able to compete with AoC having 5 years worth of updates and content expansions under its belt? Hardly... look at what TESO is doing with its regions locked to factions. They are already stretching release content before its even out, so you need time for 3 alts to see everything. Repop is an indie game done by a mini team, Archeage and Blade & Soul are asian type grinders, Wildstar is another cartoony theme park with WoW graphics. Aion, cartoony fantasy theme park. Tera, cartoony fantasy theme park. SWTOR and GW2... not even commenting on these two titles.

I don´t see any serious competition for AoC on the horizon. And TSW is unique enough for its own audience.

The Return of ELITE !

• si2zlesi2zle Member Posts: 3
    One word. Steam.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by si2zle
    One word. Steam.

Spot on.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by si2zle
    One word. Steam.

Spot on.

That must have happened today or yesterday

The Return of ELITE !

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    Since there are some AoC-vets posting in this thread ... Will I have fun with this game as a DAoC/WAR player? Actually I think about giving it a try.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by aylwynn
    Since there are some AoC-vets posting in this thread ... Will I have fun with this game as a DAoC/WAR player? Actually I think about giving it a try.

I've said it a million times and I'll say it until they get off their asses at Failcom and fix it; PVP is total shit.  The PVE side of the game is brilliant, and the PVP side of the game is a visionless, directionless mess.

If you've come looking for PVP, and not much interested in PVE, then save your hard drive the installation space.

give it a try, I personally like it more than WAR/DAoC

The Return of ELITE !

• JalarisJalaris Member UncommonPosts: 29

I'd say a major increase in the population is because of the recent Steam release. I have friends, and also including myself, that will not try "some" MMO's unless they are released on Steam. AoC being one that I had tried a very long tiem ago, now possibly looking at again for a second time because of its Steam release.

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Well,  one thing they have done right is they have constantly improved their game.  That plus having a solid F2P system set up, it was only a matter of time before people starting paying attention to AoC again.  I truly believe it's one of the better games out now.

Originally posted by Jalaris

I'd say a major increase in the population is because of the recent Steam release. I have friends, and also including myself, that will not try "some" MMO's unless they are released on Steam. AoC being one that I had tried a very long tiem ago, now possibly looking at again for a second time because of its Steam release.

I'm not familiar with this Steam release, but it sure has / had an impact...

Yesterday I thought I start a new alt - a dt since lately I played a lot with my templar in TSW (ok, this one in AoC is a dark one, but still :) a templar is a templar in any setting). So I logged in, and it was a nice surprise to find a crowded Tortage, a cleaned White Sands and Underhall with lots of players roaming around.

Crom and Ymir, I don't even remember when was the last time I had to wait for mob / item respawn in AoC. :) And it's most likely Steam, since lots of the newcomers had a nice cloak already at level 5, and the others kept spamming the channels how can they claim their "Steam cloak" too.

I haven't heard of this sale, but with the revamped f2p model it was timed well. Since there's no class restriction, players can start anything, I saw many HoXes, necros, rangers and a few shammy (a nice change after the boring guard/barb/demo-heavy Tortage before the revamp). If these players will stay in game until they reach BC/Sanctum to try out group dynamics, I think AoC has some great months in its future :)

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Is the new crafting system in place yet?

Originally posted by Myrdynn

nope, probably next update 4.1 or 4.2 I suppose

The Return of ELITE !

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

I've said it a million times and I'll say it until they get off their asses at Failcom and fix it; PVP is total shit.  The PVE side of the game is brilliant, and the PVP side of the game is a visionless, directionless mess.

If you've come looking for PVP, and not much interested in PVE, then save your hard drive the installation space.

... this comment pretty much made me not give it another try (for like the 5th time). Isn't the game based around PvP in general? I couldn't give two shits about PvE, so pretty disheartening to hear.

Too bad. :(

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

nope, probably next update 4.1 or 4.2 I suppose

I heard some other rumors... like that they perhaps will wrap this up together with a new starter area and make the Game B2P on AoC's 5 year aniversary May 2013. Probably just mumbo.. But would be great with a new starter area.

The Ultimate Breakdown