Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS4 Inc? Maybe!

PigEyePigEye Member Posts: 78

Sony likely to unveil next PlayStation on Feb. 20

(AP) – 10 minutes ago  

NEW YORK (AP) — Sony is poised to unveil the next PlayStation at an event in New York City in Feb. 20.

The Japanese electronics giant invited journalists to an evening press event. The company has not said what it plans to show off, but signs indicate that it'll be the PlayStation 4.

Such a console would follow Nintendo's Wii U, which launched last fall, and precede Microsoft Corp.'s next Xbox game console, which will likely be unveiled in June at the E3 video game conference in Los Angeles.

Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter says it's a "super smart" move for Sony Corp. to pre-empt Microsoft's expected launch by several months. This way, the PlayStation 4 will get the spotlight without much competition.

A representative for Sony didn't immediately return a message for comment Friday.

PigEye McNasty
DFOUW NA

Comments

• CaptShatnerCaptShatner Member UncommonPosts: 23

We'll have to see tomorrow. Sony released their teaser trailer.

I really hope they don't implement disc tagging technology, I buy pretty much all my games used. :/

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Eight cores, "state of the art" GPU, and GDDR5, but no PS3 support at launch.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/sony-reveals-the-first-official-details-of-the-playstation-4/

Hardware

"The architecture we chose is like a PC in many ways, but supercharged [for gaming]," Cerny said. He confirmed that the system will have an X86 processor, a "highly enhanced PC GPU" that will have "remarkable long term potential." The system will have 8 GB of high-speed unified memory, as well as a hard drive for local storage."

• Last year's $380 million purchase of Gaikai will start paying off for Sony in the form of a Gaikai app on the PlayStation Store. The new service will let players try a wide variety of PlayStation 4 games immediately, with the push of a button, with no download necessary since those games being streamed from powerful central servers. Gaikai CEO David Perry talked up the experience of trying games, buying them if you liked them and sharing the experience with friends. "Only buy what you love," he encouraged gamers.

A "PlayStation Cloud" service that has been "fully greenlit by Sony" will allow for streaming of many PlayStation 4 games, as well as some titles from previous PlayStation generations. That will be the only way to play some older titles, though, as the PS4 will not support native play of PlayStation 3 titles at launch.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    It's basically just a PC, it's a bobcat PC CPU that they tweaked, it's a x86 device. Wouldn't surprise me if someone ended up getting windows to run on it.
  • SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    It's basically just a PC, it's a bobcat PC CPU that they tweaked, it's a x86 device. Wouldn't surprise me if someone ended up getting windows to run on it.

Yup.  The PS4 is a maxxed out PC... from 2008!

The PS3 launched nearly 10 years ago with specs that almost beat it, lol!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

It's highly probable that it's based on Jaguar cores, not Bobcat cores.  Jaguar cores will be out about 6 months before the PS4 launches, so there's no real advantage to going with the older cores.  The PlayStation 4 is high enough volume that AMD would modify the cores some if Sony wanted it, too.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

Yup.  The PS4 is a maxxed out PC... from 2008!

The PS3 launched nearly 10 years ago with specs that almost beat it, lol!

Nope, not even close.  On the CPU side, the PlayStation 4 has 8 CPU cores capable of doing whatever they want without regard to what the others are doing.  Cell had one.  That matters if you want to thread your code to actually use all of the cores.

On the GPU side, if it were available three years ago, the PlayStation 4's GPU would have been faster than any PC video card available.

8 GB of GDDR5 behind a high-clocked 256-bit bus shared between video and system memory is something that you still can't get in a PC.  You can't get a discrete video card with more than 6 GB available to a single GPU.  The shared memory approach could enable very high resolution textures such as will be very rare on PC for quite some time.

The PlayStation 4 is much faster than the next generation Xbox is rumored to be.  That comes at a price, though:  it will also be more expensive and put out a lot more heat.