Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CU #1 most discussed game on mmorpg.com

2»

Comments

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    The point I'm trying to make is that he's clearly not trying to "fit 10 lbs. of MMO in a 5 lb. bag." The fact that there is no PvE alone cuts off a ton of potential work they would have to do, and beyond that he has already stated that things like mounted combat aren't being included (except possibly if stretch goals are met) because they require more time and resources.

Mr. Jacobs is targeting a niche market for a niche game. It's trying to be an RvR game.. not a PvE game, not an instanced PvP game, not any other type of game. He's choosing one type of game and building everything around it. I understand that it might appear like I'm just hyped up or whatever, and I admit that I am excited for the game. However, I'm not holding any delusions that it will be the greatest game ever and will come out this year or anything. I'm just pointing out that he's not trying to fit EVERYTHING into the game like most companies do.. which is why they fall short of their promises.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by Nyrrho
    Originally posted by collekt Your statement, "It's easy to make promises about your game while it's still barely being announced," just came off that way to me. All I'm saying is that he is clearly being cautious about what he promises, not throwing out the "easy" promises that a lot of devs seem to do these days. On the other hand, if you're talking about the implementation of the things he says.. well he will be the first person to tell you that he's going to make some risky choices that may or may not go well. These kinds of choices are necessary to further what an MMO is/can be. That being said, Mark has an extensive amount of experience under his belt in terms of MMOs. He has seen what works and what doesn't, and I can't think of anyone I'd trust more to develop this game.
    His foundational principles seem like no easy promises, by any means. I appreciate that he stands firm on trying to break the mold of cookie cutter MMOs. However, it's no surprise that some games inevitably get pushed back, or features left out, because the developers are trying to fit 10 lbs. of MMO in a 5 lb. bag, and simply can't meet deadlines or budgets. I do agree though, that it is long overdue that the boundaries of MMOs are challenged.

While he does have a lot of experience in this business, not all of it good mind you (I still regret purchasing my WAR collector's edition), that level of experience brings a higher level of expectation. Just imagine how your expectations would differ if a relatively unknown developer announced a title called Camelot Unchained.

I'm eager to see how this game develops.

thats the thing with experience, sometimes you need to do something wrong so the next time you can go back and do it right.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576
    Originally posted by boxsnd

... and #3 in hype. 

It seems there is huge interest for such a game, and the people like what they are hearing. PvPers are hungry for a good PvP MMO.

If CSE do this right there is no way the game will have just 30k subs. 

While it is the most talked about MMO on here right now its for several reasons.

• Details are still fairly vague which means people can speculate.
    • Since details are vague and people love to speculate, people can envision their perfect MMO.
    • There are a lot of old school MMO'ers that would be delighted with this.
    • There are a lot of old school pvp'ers that would be delighted by this.
    • There are a lot of sandbox type of people that miss shadowbane that see this as a spiritual successor.
    • some people want to see it crash and burn so they fuel fires

I agree though that 30k, should this game be made, is way lower than it will have. Most likely they'll get 10X-20x that at launch, because every MMO that launches starts out strong, then drifts down. The stable base will remain lower than most MMO's because it will piss a lot of people off that haven't read on it before buying/trying it. 3-6 months out I'd probably see the game at 100-150k subs. Which by today's standards are still low but much bigger than Mark's hopeful expectations.
  • NyrrhoNyrrho Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by skyexile

Originally posted by Nyrrho

Originally posted by collekt Your statement, "It's easy to make promises about your game while it's still barely being announced," just came off that way to me. All I'm saying is that he is clearly being cautious about what he promises, not throwing out the "easy" promises that a lot of devs seem to do these days. On the other hand, if you're talking about the implementation of the things he says.. well he will be the first person to tell you that he's going to make some risky choices that may or may not go well. These kinds of choices are necessary to further what an MMO is/can be. That being said, Mark has an extensive amount of experience under his belt in terms of MMOs. He has seen what works and what doesn't, and I can't think of anyone I'd trust more to develop this game.
    His foundational principles seem like no easy promises, by any means. I appreciate that he stands firm on trying to break the mold of cookie cutter MMOs. However, it's no surprise that some games inevitably get pushed back, or features left out, because the developers are trying to fit 10 lbs. of MMO in a 5 lb. bag, and simply can't meet deadlines or budgets. I do agree though, that it is long overdue that the boundaries of MMOs are challenged.

While he does have a lot of experience in this business, not all of it good mind you (I still regret purchasing my WAR collector's edition), that level of experience brings a higher level of expectation. Just imagine how your expectations would differ if a relatively unknown developer announced a title called Camelot Unchained.

I'm eager to see how this game develops.

thats the thing with experience, sometimes you need to do something wrong so the next time you can go back and do it right.

Exactly right. Half of knowing what to do, is knowing what not to do.

• shadeviceshadevice Member CommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by Anthur

It's a pvp game. My experience is that those pvp'ers make a lot of noise. See DF:UW, MortalOnline, WWIIO. Very few people actually play those games but their forums here are always busy. ;)

True but CUs foundation is vastly superior to those other games you listed. Think about it.