Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Ciizen, sounds like an MMO is it?

SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Well it does sound like one, but I am wondering still.

I just watched this presentation here, not sure if it has been posted before, I looked at the related threads and did not see it in the first few pages.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com

So there is a persistent world, which is shared by many players.

This right here matches the descripion of an MMO experience.

It will have bi-weekly (lets hold them to their words with just "frequent") updates and will grow in a dynamic fashion, instead of updates. You buy separetly.

It is a PC game, what else could it be? (I would not play in any other form anyways.)

And the world will be Open Ended. This does not necessarilly mean Sandbox, but it means Freedom of play as the player chooses, there are no rails to the Star Citizen portion, however there will be the military Squadron 42 Cmpaign which will play as a traditional Wing Commander Solo Experience.

Seems to me like an expansion/combination of the previous ideas.

And I love what I see and hear up to now, very excited about this one.

Thoughts?

- Duke Suraknar -
Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    It is an MMO and much more.  The way they answer the question in their FAQ is misleading and confusing and I've been meaning to suggest to them to change it so that people understand what they really mean by it.  Essentially, they're saying they don't want to be labeled as soley an MMO.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852
    Fixed the Link if it did not work previously.
    - Duke Suraknar -

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    It is an MMO and much more.  The way they answer the question in their FAQ is misleading and confusing and I've been meaning to suggest to them to change it so that people understand what they really mean by it.  Essentially, they're saying they don't want to be labeled as soley an MMO.

Well at least that beats some others that Label like MMO's and are not persistent worlds with 15 minutes Battles.

For me, a Rose is a still a Rose by any other name :)

Awesome just Awesome!

Thanks!

- Duke Suraknar -

• CeloniusCelonius Member Posts: 13

Star Citizen is going to be not just an MMO, but of course will have a MMO part, instanced in 100 players max, but stills MMO.

As you said before, there is going to exist a persistent universe where the players can interact between them and do actions on it. So yes, is going to be an MMO with Instances.

Few people says that this is not going to be an MMO, is just another Wing Commander with MP but nope. They have no reason because the creator of the game, i mean, the only person whose words are true, say that he does not want to make any king of old game like Wing Commander, he wants to make the persistent universe where you can go free on them and interact with player.

Since 2:00. Watch this.

So, for these people taht say is going to be SP with some MP I have to tell that you are confuse. This is going to be Squadron 42, the SP/MP campaign mode. Star Citizen is more, much more than that.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Celonius

Star Citizen is going to be not just an MMO, but of course will have a MMO part, instanced in 100 players max, but stills MMO.

As you said before, there is going to exist a persistent universe where the players can interact between them and do actions on it. So yes, is going to be an MMO with Instances.

Few people says that this is not going to be an MMO, is just another Wing Commander with MP but nope. They have no reason because the creator of the game, i mean, the only person whose words are true, say that he does not want to make any king of old game like Wing Commander, he wants to make the persistent universe where you can go free on them and interact with player.

So, for these people taht say is going to be SP with some MP I have to tell that you are confuse. This is going to be Squadron 42, the SP/MP campaign mode. Star Citizen is more, much more than that.

I think everyone is aware of what the creator *wants* Star Citizen to be.  However, many of us have seen a lot of promises and game descriptions from developers in the past, with the game not being quite what we were lead to believe.  This project is looking VERY ambitious and I think it's probably safest to take a "wait and see" approach.  Definitely not worth building tons of hype around because that hype will more than likely be dashed if every game that has come out in the past how many years is any indicator.  They never live up to the hype.

Yes that is the video I saw in the Official site.

Chris clearly describes an MMO even if he is not calling the game as such (he is neither calling anything else mind you). There should be no doubts there I think.

An MMO is defined by a Persistent world which is shared by many players (typically more than 2). And this Star Ciizen is according to the description given.

Thanks for the Tubed version, easier to share around :)

And Share I shall!

- Duke Suraknar -

• They're not calling it an MMO, and in it also doesn't follow traditional MMO structures. But it wouldn't be outright wrong to call it an MMO.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I realy hope this game contains high volume of sandbox.
    Eve Online is still the game to beat since 2003 and this one might be on par or even better as the combat is more shooter like instead of point and click.

Keeping an eye on this one.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by killion81

I think everyone is aware of what the creator *wants* Star Citizen to be.  However, many of us have seen a lot of promises and game descriptions from developers in the past, with the game not being quite what we were lead to believe.  This project is looking VERY ambitious and I think it's probably safest to take a "wait and see" approach.  Definitely not worth building tons of hype around because that hype will more than likely be dashed if every game that has come out in the past how many years is any indicator.  They never live up to the hype.

All the other games you are referring to were missing one thing that this game has... Chris Roberts. I'm not saying this game will be exactly as described now at release as that would be unrealistic but it will not dissapoint. No Chris Roberts game to date has. This is why this game blew the doors off the old crowd funding record. It's not the game... It's the man behind it.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

All the other games you are referring to were missing one thing that this game has... Chris Roberts. I'm not saying this game will be exactly as described now at release as that would be unrealistic but it will not dissapoint. No Chris Roberts game to date has. This is why this game blew the doors off the old crowd funding record. It's not the game... It's the man behind it.

Bren

That's it.

Nobody obtains almost 7$ million (and I think that in 1-2 months will arrive at 8$ million) by crowdfunding being unpopular. If it has obtain this amount of money is because Chris Roberts is know in the community as a one of the bigs space sim father and best developers.

Of course, there has not the 100% of the promises on the release, but I think that this is far away to be vaporware or something like that.

• Justin9820Justin9820 Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Suraknar

Yes that is the video I saw in the Official site.

Chris clearly describes an MMO even if he is not calling the game as such (he is neither calling anything else mind you). There should be no doubts there I think.

An MMO is defined by a Persistent world which is shared by many players (typically more than 2). And this Star Ciizen is according to the description given.

Thanks for the Tubed version, easier to share around :)

And Share I shall!

You're quite wrong if you think an mmo is anything with more than just 2 people.

• MarXonMarXon Member Posts: 22
    This has confused me quite alot aswell. As I understood it, it's based on player servers, like Counter Strike for example. And if that is the case it's not an mmo since it's not a persistent world rather official or player created servers.
  • KenrichKenrich Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by Mothanos

I realy hope this game contains high volume of sandbox.
    Eve Online is still the game to beat since 2003 and this one might be on par or even better as the combat is more shooter like instead of point and click.

Keeping an eye on this one.

I agree with this one... Ill be happy to actually FLY my ship image

o.O

Originally posted by MarXon
    This has confused me quite alot aswell. As I understood it, it's based on player servers, like Counter Strike for example. And if that is the case it's not an mmo since it's not a persistent world rather official or player created servers.

Is not going to be like Counter Strike

When you're going to play multiplayer you're not going to wathc this:

Server 1: 55/100 Players

Server 2: 80/100 Players

Server 3: 100/100 Players

NO, you won't be see this.

There will be a persisten world where the players actions affect it. Yes, there will be instanced, but this does not make that SC will not be a MMO. SC will be a MMO, an Instanced MMO, but stills be MMO

It's something like Guild Wars 1 but with more players/per instance and there won't be loading screens.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

"No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience."

This is pulled straight out of their FAQ.   The game will have MMO like elements, but it won't be an MMO.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Ahh i love this websites community.

Any other legit mmorpg that had restricted instancing and a solo (offline?) option would be torn to shreds.  Everyones ripping apart other mmorpgs for too much instancing and complaining that theres not enough forced group content that its basically an online single player game.

THEN

mmorpg.com lits a game thats actually a single player game with extreme instanced multiplayer option and the community LOVES its.

You guys really crack me up

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

Any other legit mmorpg that had restricted instancing and a solo (offline?) option would be torn to shreds.  Everyones ripping apart other mmorpgs for too much instancing and complaining that theres not enough forced group content that its basically an online single player game.

THEN

mmorpg.com lits a game thats actually a single player game with extreme instanced multiplayer option and the community LOVES its.

You're right... to a point. If this was a Fantasy based MMORPG with this same setup I wouldn't even give it a second look. BUT... This is a space MMO (Notice there is no RPG at the end of that) and with this setup it will work and feel like a space MMO should. Space is big... really BIG. I wouldn't expect to see 300 players in one place. Also there is no character progression either other than aquiring more credits to buy better ships/equipment.

This game is very different than anything that has come before. You are trying to compare this game to other MMOs and that simply doesn't work. Is this game a single player game? Yes. Is this game a limited multiplayer game? Yes. Is this game a MMO? Yes. This game is all of these things and a whole lot more. You really need to think outside of the extremely small box the MMO genre has cramed us all into over the last 10 years to judge this game fairly.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

What modern MMO does not have instances?

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Magiknight:
    Vendetta Online
    Eve Online

Neither of these games have instances, and they are both what I would consider "modern MMOs"

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• MystaisMystais Member Posts: 72

I see it as being like DAYZ in that you play on private servers with up to 100 players... with an offline mode as well.   

This blogger speaks about it in some detail.  Yes, it is an slightly negative opinion piece but there is also good information buried within.

http://poeticstanziel.blogspot.com/2012/12/star-citizen-is-not-mmo.html

Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.

• RoughshodRoughshod Member Posts: 16

From the game's FAQ:

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

So... "No!" it doesn't claim to be an MMO, yet it is on this website. Confusing.
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Space Sim, MMO, First Person Shooter, Single Player Campaign, Trade Simulator, Persistent PvAll Sandbox

Best genre cross over ever. Wait and see.

See also: Elite Dangerous

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by thinktank001

The game will have MMO like elements, but it won't be an MMO.

By your logic it´s a NMO ? Not massive offline ? lol.. please

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• sea.shellsea.shell Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by Crunchy222

THEN

Because of people like you Star Citizen is not labeled as a MMO. Chris Roberts in contrary to many vague shill Developers actually know where he is setting foot in. He knew the whole MMO hype crowd would stomp his place the moment he would mention that word.

Because as soon as such people read MMO, they got their WoW, their Asia F2P or their FFAPVP Mortal online / DF in their head.

Star citizen offers singleplayer. Offers simple deadmatch multiplayer (including LAN!) and on top of that offers functionality for private hosted servers which can be modded to no end and create own persistend universes where as much players can play as your pc / dedicated rented host endures.

Then, there is the persistent online universe which allows up to 100 people in the same instance. Including everything you'd expect to see in a mmo.

It's not a singleplayer "quest" in a mmo world. It's not a lobby mmo with instanced zones.
    Star Citizen is more. It's three games for one.

Star Citizen does not hide it's true face. It will be made to run on top end systems. It will feature physics and collision, detailed destructible models, and seamless transitions to FPS combat when you get out of your ship / inside an enemy ship.

100 Player limit is there for a reason. If one can't handle the fact that this is the price for such deep immersion and meaningful features, that person shouldn't be complaining here. Star Citizen was straight with what it is.

Playing: EVE Online
    Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
    WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by thinktank001

The game will have MMO like elements, but it won't be an MMO.

By your logic it´s a NMO ? Not massive offline ? lol.. please

Actually, that is a very good descriptor to use for many of the titles listed on this very website, the NMO and the NMORPG.  (applies to many of them actually)

Somehow the term massive to me somehow means a lot more players than 2, or even 100 in the game world with me.

Perhaps its my EVE background, where I fought in battles of 400 vs 400 and was in systems with 1600 players at the same time.  In fact, at any given time there are between 25K and 60K players in the same game universe as I am, though granted I'll never see more than a fraction of them.

No telling how this title will really end up, seems like the creator isn't really willing to label it as an MMO, he's trying to invent a whole new cross over genre, perhaps much like GW1 did with the creation of the CORPG term.

So what the heck, I'm willing to start calling it a NMO, thanks for the suggestion. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon