Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Group Oriented Skill Chains within Camelot Unchained?

Just curious on peoples opinions for their inclusion within the game.

In games like FFXI, EQ2, and GW2 for example you can "combo" off of the abilities of other people (and to a lesser extent solo in the latter two). What I am thinking of is ONLY "Group Based" (aka non-solo) Skill Combinations within the Camelot Unchained combat system. This has been done in several games before as I stated so we're not inventing (although re-invention could be applicable) the wheel here, but I think it adds a very nice extra level of strategy and player interaction to gameplay. A simple example would be having a Caster class lay down a Wall of Fire and when Physical Projectiles (Arrows from Archer class for instance) pass through it they are ignited and when they hit their target(s) they either do additional Burst Fire Damage or apply a Fire DoT to the target(s).

To expand on it you could take the system further to emphasize teamwork more by having it use an Initial Attack to start the combo, extension attack(s), and then a finishing attack that causes a special debuff/buff/damage add/heal/etc to benefit the group that created it. The system can really be quite robust depending on the work of the combat team and how these triggers would be utilized by specific class, element, or situational activators.

Just food for thought.

Bear "replicant" Powell
"I am Shaolin-Style!"

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I like the way GW 2 does combo fields. I'd be fine with something similar being in CU.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    As long as it has as many options and is as least as complex as the FFXI skillchain system. I want a bunch of different possibilities, if you are going to do skillchains at least make enough of them.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• replicantreplicant Member Posts: 46

I do think the system should be as robust as the Renkei in FFXI, but less restrictive in it's allowable class combos. As a Monk in FFXI I had quite the hard time grouping from Lvl 30-60 since I did not possess the "correct" combo abilties for the main leveling areas then. However, Once I was 60 everyone and their brother was my best friend. :-p

The main issue with GW2 Combo Fields is the incredibly small window of interaction. I do however like the system and utilize it as much as I can with WvW Skirmishes when I duo and sometimes solo as well. The Interactive component with the CF's should honestly increase by 25%-50% to make it less "twitch" oriented.

Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    As long as it has as many options and is as least as complex as the FFXI skillchain system. I want a bunch of different possibilities, if you are going to do skillchains at least make enough of them.

So basically you want constant chains going off? OMG I want to be overpowered!!!!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

So basically you want constant chains going off? OMG I want to be overpowered!!!!

That doesn't really sound like what he said at all. If these combos are kept in the FFXI style tradition you'd have to be grouped with the people and a concerted effort from members of the group would be needed. However, if you use the "Combo Field" style of GW2, then yes you could feasibly have tons of effects going off by various non-grouped triggers. These combos tend to be minor when compared to most heavy attacks with the exception of Finishers (which tend to be equal to an ability buffed up) and Mana Burst attacks in FFXI which always Crit and generate 0 aggro.

Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

• PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    There are a few features that games can have that no matter how great the game seems, that one feature will completely turn me off from wanting to play. For me, skill chains is one of those features. I don't know ... maybe I am in the minority here with that, but I just really don't like them. It's why I didn't like eq2.
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

He's talking more about combo abilities between characters.  (combo fields in GW2)  That's not really what I consider chain's, I think of chains as what Tera has.  Where one ability chains into another, into another etc.

Just a matter of different lingo in different games.  Where one game has chains that do one thing, and another game has chains that do something totaly different.

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

Could have both kinda, with one being weaker (ground/non-party specific effects.), and than the stronger (non-aoe, and part specific) combos. I would see this kinda like in ways like how phantasy star on sega genesis would work atleast how  i saw it.

I would think that when you wanted to combo two spells or abilties  into a chain, you would need to have the primary user of the chain that uses the start ability being targeted by the secondary who would cast thier spell at the character. Such as that if you wanted to a flame-burst style combo, than you would have the main character cast a fireball spell, while the secondary castes a wind-based or accelerent type abiltiy (such as a gas-filled canester, or such) that when it hits the fireball it would explode dealing splash damage. You could also have it thaat a sqwordsmen uses a dual slash or such   nother  haracter coulld use a lighting spell (energizing his attacks.), or even a haste-like spell that amps his attack speed several times for a short time during the attack.  I could also see thigns like using a eath or protective spell to bolsters the defensive abilities of a tanker when they used a blocking or mitigation abilty too. Mind you this is pretty simplistic in design and would need to be expanded on.

Originally posted by replicant

That doesn't really sound like what he said at all. If these combos are kept in the FFXI style tradition you'd have to be grouped with the people and a concerted effort from members of the group would be needed. However, if you use the "Combo Field" style of GW2, then yes you could feasibly have tons of effects going off by various non-grouped triggers. These combos tend to be minor when compared to most heavy attacks with the exception of Finishers (which tend to be equal to an ability buffed up) and Mana Burst attacks in FFXI which always Crit and generate 0 aggro.

What I would rather see is a combat change where mobs have different types of attacks where the net affect is that having a single skill rotation won't produce maxim dps output for the player.  So if you use your base rotation, the mobs skills reduce your effectiveness.  The end result is that you have to find different ways to be most effective vs various mobs.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

What I would rather see is a combat change where mobs have different types of attacks where the net affect is that having a single skill rotation won't produce maxim dps output for the player.  So if you use your base rotation, the mobs skills reduce your effectiveness.  The end result is that you have to find different ways to be most effective vs various mobs.

We have to step back from that since the focus of CU will be RvR and to our knowledge PvE interaction will be minimal to non-existent. I expect the extent of PvE "Mobs" to be Realm Guards, Tower/Keep/BFO/etc Captains, Lords, Guards, and such. The environment I expect to have limited mob content with the exception of critter clutter. However, I do fully expect that different attacks will have different effects versus these mobs and other players due to various mitigation techniques such as possible usage of various weapon types VS armor types and elemental resistances for instance. Mark would have to correct me on this.

Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

Originally posted by replicant

We have to step back from that since the focus of CU will be RvR and to our knowledge PvE interaction will be minimal to non-existent. I expect the extent of PvE "Mobs" to be Realm Guards, Tower/Keep/BFO/etc Captains, Lords, Guards, and such. The environment I expect to have limited mob content with the exception of critter clutter. However, I do fully expect that different attacks will have different effects versus these mobs and other players due to various mitigation techniques such as possible usage of various weapon types VS armor types and elemental resistances for instance. Mark would have to correct me on this.

What I am talking about is a change.  We currently think SKILL#1 does N DPS.  How about changing it to SKILL#1 does variable amount of dps depending on what the other guy is doing.  That way you aren't just spamming keys and you have to pay attention to what the other guy(s) are doing.