Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Imagine the game on this engine

2»

Comments

• MightyPitMightyPit Member UncommonPosts: 92

It is not only using this engine or that, it is also about how much detail you display in your virtual world. The more detail you have, the more time/money it costs to create things. I believe that this is the reason for the cartoon style of torchlight for example. I expect to see a similar approach here. The more cartoonic, the less polygons are needed to look good. And the graphic card(s) in the client pc has less work to do, also.

I guess that handling a big amount of players is first of all a network programming issue. Of course the graphic engine should be able to draw that amount of characters on a platform in 2015, also.

I would use an engine which is not too expensive, easy to learn, and where I have full control over the source code. Of course it should be fast enough also.

MMO's played so far:
    UO,EQ,DAOC,EQ2,GW,ROM,WOW,WAR,AOC,LOTRO,RIFT,TSW,GW2,POE
    Looking forward to: Camelot Unchained, Star Citizen

• uberowouberowo Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I would like lightforge, because ps2 works, it doesn't have anything like the culling problems of gw2 (or vanilla war). There's some culling but its smart and distance / range based like daoc, not bloody random like gw2. Also the continents are bloody huge compared to gw2 WvW maps and war rvr lakes and I would expect performance to be better with daoc style combat as no bullets to trace, can use simpler hit boxes etc..

Don't think Sony would license it though.

Agreed. Planetside 2 has by far the best engine I've seen in any MMO to date when it comes to handling large amounts of people at a time.