Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beware bad information.

13»

Comments

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

I played Vanguard on release and for quite a long time after that. But I have not played it in years.

I can easily say that this was a great game, I cannot make comments on how it is today, but if it's anywhere close to the way it used to be, you cannot go wrong with trying it out.

And, yes, this is no game for people who want easy mode. (I really do hate when they made MMO's easy)

I hope and pray that  they toughen up a lot for EQnext.

/Storm

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Most of the hatred is from way back when.. It's old hatred, and you know old hatred never dies.. People feel scammed, let down, angry.. They really put Vanguard into the same basket as SWG post-NGE, as they see it as that bad of an industry failure.. But coming from someone who actually subbed to the game a year+ past launch, it wasn't as bad as it could have been..

Yes, alot of the world was unfinished, and I blame them for that however I blame them out of sympathy because they aimed too high. They wanted to make a great game the GREATEST game and they had aimed for the stars with all that out of the box content. It was just way to ambitious and when time lines call, things get cut and obviously it falls heavy on the players who were looking forward to. I hate hype.. I always advise against anyone over hyping or falling for too much media and peer generated hype because things frequently change. They can change in mere hours and the game could shift into a completely different direction (look at what happened to Aliens: Colonial Marines)..

Vanguard is what it is, a nod to the mmo's of the past.. While "gamers" today marvel at and praise MMO's like Neverwinter and TERA, Vanguard shows that even in a semi-modern MMO players can STILL HAVE CHOICES and the freedom to make who they want. VG also shows that the idea of a WORLD is possible and the immersion can be achieved by the smallest things such as a day/night cycle and weather..

I guarantee that most of the elements present in VG will also be present in some form in EQN.. Now that the era of WoW is reaching sunset, players are clamoring for a return to roots (Camelot Unchained?).. This would have been a PERFECT time for Vanguard to have actually released, but hopefully EQNext will hit the sweet spot and bring to the industry what VG tried and did not get credit for back then..

tl;dr   Not that bad of a game, not for everyone, instead of relying on others opinions (especially on THESE boards -_-) why not just give it a go?

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    I played for a bit after it went free.  The lag that has been mentioned bugged me but it was still fun for a while.  If they fix that I will most likely try it again.  In the meantime, it was a casualty of hard drive space :(