Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eve fans vs MAG fans: who should CCP listen to most ?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Dust 514 is the big OMFPS by CCP coming next gen as well. I like the update to the control, hit detection, and weapon strengths. 

There is still some issues, 

which leads me to this discussion. 

Dust 514's developers seem to be major MAG fanboys with in game references to MAG found in Dust 514. ;-)

Dust 514 is a game being marketed to the MAG players, but with the IP of EvE behind it and effects on EvE game world which is on a totally different genre of gaming.

But like stated, there are many issues with the game.

But Dust 514's community seem divided by MAG fans and EvE fans.

And each group has their "likes" and "wants" and "solutions " for how issues should be solved.

But who should CCP listen to more in this game.

It will effect EvE in terms of corp battles as well as isk gambles going on.

But the majority of the players will be console MAG FPS gamers and some of them see things differently than EvE fans.

I know we had name tossing early on between the two community groups (MAGgots and EvEvils) , but me personally as a huge MAG fan, I would prefer the mechanics of MAG than lots of the current mechanics, such as Rezing and game modes, etc.

Dust 514 is a OMFPS like MAG after all, not a MMO like EvE.  So my opinion is the community that plays the type of games like Dust 514 (OMFPS ) would know better, what's good and appealing and what isn't, more so than MMO gamers that don't play that genre.

But you tell me. Where you stand on this?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I don't think any one cares do they? A game from an IP that's only game is on the PC and they're releasing it for the PS3, not even a console people associate the FPS genre for or online gaming because the controller's analog sticks and PSN both suck. 

I just don't see how it'll be popular.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

They should be listening to both of course but the game that CCP is trying to make mostly resembles MAG and not EVE online. MAG was a very, very successful title for the PS3, it was the first and only real game of its kind on the system.

I'm not saying that CCP is trying to ride the coat tails of MAG but it wouldn't be the worst decision to follow on some of the steps they put in place.

256 players at one time on one map. Still hasn't been matched by any other title on the PS3.

And the talk from the poster above me about the PS3's controller is very laughable. The controllers have been in place for decades and left unchanged because it's just that good of a setup. Also I wouldn't blame the responsiveness of the analog sticks on the PS3, it's more than likley DUST 514's setup that leaves some desire in the control department.

PSN network is up for debate I guess, but it's no worse than XBox lives and has been free since the system launched and doesn't charge you more money ontop of the fee's you pay for your internet already.

PS3 sucks so bad it has more exclusive titles than the XBox and will continue to even in the next-gen wars.

Fanboism will never die I guess..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    scrap the whole project and finally  focus on WoD Online.
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Haven't heard anything about WoD in forever.. That does suck I agree..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Opapanax

They should be listening to both of course but the game that CCP is trying to make mostly resembles MAG and not EVE online. MAG was a very, very successful title for the PS3, it was the first and only real game of its kind on the system.

I'm not saying that CCP is trying to ride the coat tails of MAG but it wouldn't be the worst decision to follow on some of the steps they put in place.

256 players at one time on one map. Still hasn't been matched by any other title on the PS3.

And the talk from the poster above me about the PS3's controller is very laughable. The controllers have been in place for decades and left unchanged because it's just that good of a setup. Also I wouldn't blame the responsiveness of the analog sticks on the PS3, it's more than likley DUST 514's setup that leaves some desire in the control department.

PSN network is up for debate I guess, but it's no worse than XBox lives and has been free since the system launched and doesn't charge you more money ontop of the fee's you pay for your internet already.

PS3 sucks so bad it has more exclusive titles than the XBox and will continue to even in the next-gen wars.

Fanboism will never die I guess..

I agree. I was a Special Op/ Medic and MAG. Loved it. My favorite game this generation.  I use to spy around and own mother ****ers! And I took great pride in healing my ally and keeping them up. I would even make the sacrifice to keep my teammates up and running. That's the kind of gameplay I want in Dust 514. I really dislike the lacking feel of attachment like I did to my faction in MAG. My main in MAG is valor. He max level. Man <3 valor. Love the Dust 514 reference to my faction!

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    Focus on WoD, it really is the game the industry is waiting for, some interview is supposed to be up with art director Thomas Holt in the next week or so, and with EVE fan fest now being called CCP fan fest II think we're slowly going to be seeing more of what's happening with WoD.

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

Originally posted by KatlaOdindottir
    Focus on WoD, it really is the game the industry is waiting for, some interview is supposed to be up with art director Thomas Holt in the next week or so, and with EVE fan fest now being called CCP fan fest II think we're slowly going to be seeing more of what's happening with WoD.

Isn't WoD a realistic theme MMO like TSW? Or maybe I am confusing things..

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by blackthornn
    focus on WoD Online.

^

this is what the world is waiting for. CCP give us WoD already

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Opapanax

And the talk from the poster above me about the PS3's controller is very laughable. The controllers have been in place for decades and left unchanged because it's just that good of a setup.

No. Your argument is laughable. You think QWERTY has been left unchanged because it is just too good of a setup?

Saying something is good because its been used for decades does not make it "good". QWERTY for example, was designed specifically to be slow enough so the typewriter wouldn't jam when typing fast. Like so...

Anyway, back on topic, I'm with the people who think they should ditch Dust and focus on Eve and WoD. It was a nice idea, combinging FPS with a MMORPG, but when it comes to FPSs they should listen to the FPS players. Afterall Eve Online is not known for its combat, so what would Eve players know?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Since it's in EvE universe, and it's basically an EvE extension the focus should be on making it fit EvE world and lore, whatever that means from dev perspective.

However, like some people already stated, it's on PS3 so I dont really care. If it were on PC I'd play it but then again it would be a different kind of beast anyway with a lot less limitations. They should have simply made new MAG or new IP if they want it to stray from EvE universe and lore. DUST should have been on PC anyway, now it's just a pile of bullshit.

This reminds me why my PS3 is nothing but a BR-player and netflix platform, the fracking consoles sticking their noses and fingers where they shouldnt be and shitting up good things as always :)

Originally posted by Kuinn

Since it's in EvE universe, and it's basically an EvE extension the focus should be on making it fit EvE world and lore, whatever that means from dev perspective.

However, like some people already stated, it's on PS3 so I dont really care. If it were on PC I'd play it but then again it would be a different kind of beast anyway with a lot less limitations. They should have simply made new MAG or new IP if they want it to stray from EvE universe and lore. DUST should have been on PC anyway, now it's just a pile of bullshit.

This reminds me why my PS3 is nothing but a BR-player and netflix platform, the fracking consoles sticking their noses and fingers where they shouldnt be and shitting up good things as always :)

Game of the year games like Skyrim sold more on the consoles than PC. Even with limited play that they have (no modding). The jokes on PC. Most FPSers play Console. Console has the major exclusives that PC will never get unless the consoles drop out the console war.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by tixylix

I don't think any one cares do they? A game from an IP that's only game is on the PC and they're releasing it for the PS3, not even a console people associate the FPS genre for or online gaming because the controller's analog sticks and PSN both suck. 

Hi tixylix. I see you're once again pretending that you haven't been told at least 6 times on this forum alone that Dust has native Keyboard & Mouse support.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I think ,only what ccp has done with WoD  is character creation

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Dust 514 is the big OMFPS by CCP coming next gen as well. I like the update to the control, hit detection, and weapon strengths. 

There is still some issues, 

which leads me to this discussion. 

Dust 514's developers seem to be major MAG fanboys with in game references to MAG found in Dust 514. ;-)

Dust 514 is a game being marketed to the MAG players, but with the IP of EvE behind it and effects on EvE game world which is on a totally different genre of gaming.

But like stated, there are many issues with the game.

But Dust 514's community seem divided by MAG fans and EvE fans.

And each group has their "likes" and "wants" and "solutions " for how issues should be solved.

But who should CCP listen to more in this game.

It will effect EvE in terms of corp battles as well as isk gambles going on.

But the majority of the players will be console MAG FPS gamers and some of them see things differently than EvE fans.

I know we had name tossing early on between the two community groups (MAGgots and EvEvils) , but me personally as a huge MAG fan, I would prefer the mechanics of MAG than lots of the current mechanics, such as Rezing and game modes, etc.

Dust 514 is a OMFPS like MAG after all, not a MMO like EvE.  So my opinion is the community that plays the type of games like Dust 514 (OMFPS ) would know better, what's good and appealing and what isn't, more so than MMO gamers that don't play that genre.

But you tell me. Where you stand on this?

On the one hand, CCP aren't (or shouldn't be) just trying to create a MAG clone. On the other, they're new at this, and there's no shame in incorporating good ideas from other games.

I think what CCP should do is have a clear vision of the experience they're trying to provide with DUST, and if ideas and features from MAG (or other games come to that) will support that vision then they should be added. If they contradict or undermine that vision, then they shouldn 't.

Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

I think ,only what ccp has done with WoD  is character creation

CCP staff have confirmed in interviews that they have a "working version" of WoD that they are using internally. I doubt it's anywhere close to Beta status, but they've done more than a character creater. Certainly one would have thought that a team that still has 60 devs even after the 2011 layoffs would have produced more than that by now.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Malcanis

I think what CCP should do is have a clear vision of the experience they're trying to provide with DUST, and if ideas and features from MAG (or other games come to that) will support that vision then they should be added. If they contradict or undermine that vision, then they shouldn 't.

I like the way you think, Mal. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by FromHell
    focus on WoD Online.

^

Yes.  Please.

It's the only mmo on the horizon besides (I hope) EQN that I am excited for information.  They need to start blowing us away with plenty of intel and the drop it on us already.

Eve is a great game, I doubt I would be interested in Dust514 even if I did own a console..  I'm just impatiently waitin for info on WoD.. As I have been for years now.

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Malcanis

I like the way you think, Mal. image

Stating the obvious is the cheapest way to be thought wise.

Originally posted by Acidon
    Originally posted by FromHell
    focus on WoD Online.

^

Yes.  Please.

It's the only mmo on the horizon besides (I hope) EQN that I am excited for information.  They need to start blowing us away with plenty of intel and the drop it on us already.

Eve is a great game, I doubt I would be interested in Dust514 even if I did own a console..  I'm just impatiently waitin for info on WoD.. As I have been for years now.

Heh. CCP don't work that way. Occasional teasers in interviews about different subjects is the best you're going to get until it's nearly ready.

(After which you can start complaining about hype :) )

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Game of the year games like Skyrim sold more on the consoles than PC. Even with limited play that they have (no modding). The jokes on PC. Most FPSers play Console. Console has the major exclusives that PC will never get unless the consoles drop out the console war.

I know, and? I was talking about a product belonging to EvE universe, I said they should have just made something original if they want to make another limited console game. EvE based shooter belongs to PC imo.

If you want talk about sales numbers anyway, sure, go ahead, I hope you take into account that consoles sell more only because they are cheap and any idiot can operate one, it does not mean the games themself are superior. PC has superior games in every way, graphics, size, etc, they dont have to be limited because of poor hardware and only few buttons that you can press on console controller. Why dont you wait a bit and necro this thread when next gen gets released ;P

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

The only  way i was ever going to be interested in Dust514 was if CCP pulled there heads out of there butts and made the FPS part of ship to ship boarding assaults, not the planetary siege crap that was so disjointed and had little to do with EvE. 

Lolipops !

I know, and? I was talking about a product belonging to EvE universe, I said they should have just made something original if they want to make another limited console game. EvE based shooter belongs to PC imo.

If you want talk about sales numbers anyway, sure, go ahead, I hope you take into account that consoles sell more only because they are cheap and any idiot can operate one, it does not mean the games themself are superior. PC has superior games in every way, graphics, size, etc, they dont have to be limited because of poor hardware and only few buttons that you can press on console controller. Why dont you wait a bit and necro this thread when next gen gets released ;P

well IPs cross platforms all the time.

Dust 514 is set in the Eve universe, but that doesnt mean its EvE. thats where your mindset confusion starts.

DnD started as a table top game, doesnt mean it couldnt also be a video game on a console or PC, just because its part of the same IP.

same thing with Warhammer. it started as a table top game, and same IP cross plattforms to PC as a RTS, as well as a shooter on consoles.

same IP, not the same games.

Dust 514!= EvE it is its own game, set in the same universe IP.

Originally posted by Voiidiin

The only  way i was ever going to be interested in Dust514 was if CCP pulled there heads out of there butts and made the FPS part of ship to ship boarding assaults, not the planetary siege crap that was so disjointed and had little to do with EvE. 

well I would like something like that as a game mode. imagine 256 player battles like MAG over a titan ship battle inside the ship.....

oh well

:-/

• AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173

trollololol, troll is obvious. image

Originally posted by AgentAnarkii

trollololol, troll is obvious. image

I wouldnt call it trolling, just very heavy conservative mindset that doesnt understand the concept of cross platform gaming and interactions, since it rarely happens in this genre of gaming, so most people have never experienced it in this level of design.

World of Warcraft has a trading card game which is a different kind of gaming, than video games, yet can effect the WoW video game world.

same concept, but in this case, both games are video games with direct interaction.
    like a Salvage 2's dual genre gameplay, but with cross platform design in the middle.