Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cryptic Confirms Romulan Faction

Well it looks like STO is finally getting a Romulan faction:

http://stonewsnetwork.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/cryptic-confirms-romulan-faction/

I for one an very happy about this as the Romulans were always my favorite faction in Trek. I do have to admit that I am somewhat hesitant about how it will be handled, considering what has happened with the Klingon faction.

Comments

• ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471
    "Sorry, no posts matched your criteria."

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

• DartmedDartmed Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Resetgun
    "Sorry, no posts matched your criteria."

This ^^

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

The only thing I can find is the update for Season 7, which has nothing to do with making a new faction for the game. 

Star Trek Online Launches Season 7: New Romulus

“This is the first time Star Trek fans will have a chance to participate in the story of rebuilding the Romulan Empire” explains STO executive producer Daniel Stahl. “Star Trek Online players will experience first-hand the plight of the Romulus survivors as they uncover mysteries surrounding their new home world. In Season 7: New Romulus, players will take an active role in shaping the conflict to come as they fight for the reputation necessary to improve relations and gain support of the Romulan Empire.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by ktanner3

The only thing I can find is the update for Season 7, which has nothing to do with making a new faction for the game. 

Star Trek Online Launches Season 7: New Romulus

“This is the first time Star Trek fans will have a chance to participate in the story of rebuilding the Romulan Empire” explains STO executive producer Daniel Stahl. “Star Trek Online players will experience first-hand the plight of the Romulus survivors as they uncover mysteries surrounding their new home world. In Season 7: New Romulus, players will take an active role in shaping the conflict to come as they fight for the reputation necessary to improve relations and gain support of the Romulan Empire.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________

I believe it's based upon this vid http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=809521 right at the end the romulan symbol appears with the epitaph 'march beneath the raptors wings'.  That's basically where all the hype seems to come from as far as i can tell.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

There's been no confirmation so far.  DStahl answered the question directly in the most recent Ask Cryptic, which came out yesterday:

"Q: (carcharodon1975) “Beneath the Raptor’s Wings” has set people’s hope high on getting a playable Romulan faction in May. My question is… are we getting a playable Romulan faction in May?

Dstahl: We are not ready to begin discussing the details of what is in our May update, however the reference definitely suggests that it is related to Romulans in some way. We will share more news about the update and give a clearer response to your question as we get closer to May."

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=820691

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274

Can we not have the Borg  as a playable faction? 

Why can't Ferengi also be selectable as a KDF?

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by AC1074

Can we not have the Borg  as a playable faction? 

Why can't Ferengi also be selectable as a KDF?

It's possible that any of those could be playable factions, but based on polling data they collected some time ago, the Romulans were the faction that players most wanted to have next.  Personally, I agree.

Still, they haven't confirmed any new faction yet.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194

In the most recent Ask Cryptic:

Dstahl: We have always had a plan for how we wanted to implement additional factions and we have polls dating back to early in the game’s life when we were looking to see which future factions players were most interested in. If and when we release a Romulan faction, you can expect that it would set the stage for how a Cardassian, Borg, or any other faction would be introduced into the game.

So it's always a wait and see at this point.

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    Ofcourse they take the Romulas, as they've got ships that's easy to copy from klingon :)
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Even if they do put Romulans as a faction in the game, is there going to a nice long set of missions like the Federation have or the practically non-existent PVE that the Klingons have?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Even if they do , which i doubt they are ready to do. I expect the same quality job they did with the Klingons. They probably need a population jump to justify keeping the project open to PWI or devs engaged.

• ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75

I'm not going to get my hopes up for a complete Romulan faction either.  They can't just add Romulans either.  They'd need to add Hirogen and other races that go with them.  Cryptic couldn't make a complete Klingon faction in 3 years, let alone a complete Romulan faction in a few months.

The whole raptor's wings thing is probably an advert for a new FE coming in May's update.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Rohn

There's been no confirmation so far.  DStahl answered the question directly in the most recent Ask Cryptic, which came out yesterday:

"Q: (carcharodon1975) “Beneath the Raptor’s Wings” has set people’s hope high on getting a playable Romulan faction in May. My question is… are we getting a playable Romulan faction in May?

Dstahl: We are not ready to begin discussing the details of what is in our May update, however the reference definitely suggests that it is related to Romulans in some way. We will share more news about the update and give a clearer response to your question as we get closer to May."

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=820691

Well let's look at what they have done regarding the romulans.

There's already a reputation system with them that's extremely awesome. There's tons of items you can get. The reputation system is easily maxed out. They have all kinds of Romulan esc things in the reputation store. There's a planet with tons of things to do for the faction, there's a whole sector with planet after planet of events. There's invasions and enemies encounters in space to handle. So I'm thinking the only thing left is to load a whole new race. PW did take over btw and Dstahl did come back and make many a change so maybe there is hope for that after all.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by Valoreah

I'm ........ Cryptic couldn't make a complete Klingon faction in 3 years, let alone a complete Romulan faction in a few months.

The whole raptor's wings thing is probably an advert for a new FE coming in May's update.

^ This is a more accurate assessment. They have less staff and resources then they did at launch and people expect a Romulan faction ? Prepare to be disappointed. Even if they have the gall to release it. It'll be bare bones minimum.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

prolly no new faction yet,,theyre still only halfway with klingons

but new content is always good

more important is the general quality,,they mashed a lot of bugs lately

and the client is smoother now ,,specially on ground

the future looks promising, i see a lot of players online

dont forget to send them some food for the hamsters