Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Speed classes - yes or no (poll)

meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
DAOC had primary and secondary speed classes and mounts. What would you like to see in CU?

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Ugh hit Enter before I finished entering poll options. I meant to also have options for "Mounts only" and "No speed". Is there no way to edit a poll or delete a post?

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• SeitrSeitr Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Loved my skald!!
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Loved having them. In the early days of RvR people would pick up skalds on Mid/Guin even if they were lower level, just for speed if you didn't have a speeder already hehe.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• alexisevicalexisevic Member Posts: 41

Speed added a critically important, but at the same time subtle, mechanic to the game that cannot be overstated.  It allowed developers to spread out landmarks such as keep, towers, and bridges geographically but at the same time keep travel times low. 

Because you lost speed when attacked, or attacking, it had the effect of changing the scale of the map.  If you got hit away from a defenseable position odds were that it was to far away to fall back too... you had to stay and fight.  The map that was relativly small when you had speed suddenly got a lot bigger as soon as you were in combat.   Its difficult to properly atriculate why in a forum post,  but this had a very healthy effect on fights.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I hope they do have speed classes. There clearly is a need for faster movement speed out of combat to allow the maps to be large. We see in GW 2 how cumbersome it is to RvR without a permanent speed buff.

Mounts are fine as an additional source of speed for classes and groups that don't have a speed chant. Plus they could then put epic mobs in difficult to reach parts of the maps that when killed gave you unique mounts and/or sell special mounts in the cash shop.

But having classes with permanent speed chants is the best way to handle it. That way you don't have to wait while everybody summons his mount or stop and wait for somebody to resummon when he inadvertently gets knocked off.

Of course there is the problem that every group will want/need to have this class in it. My thought is give the primary healing class in each realm the best group speed chant. That way it won't require an additional group slot to cover both of these necessary functions.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I definitely want speed classes. I really have no interest in mounts at all.
  • KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Speed classes only
  • aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by OgreRaper
    I definitely want speed classes. I really have no interest in mounts at all.

This.

• tleartlear Member Posts: 142
    Hate mounts, the whole "poof" aspect of them really annoys me
  • HeartsparkHeartspark Member Posts: 69
    Mounts always seemed cheesy or cheap to me.  I did not get a mount untill i had to because everyone else did to "compete".

Heartspark: Animist rr12, bors, Lone Enforcer, Retired

Dranzerk: Berzerker (kay) retired
    Dhei: Spiritmaster (Kay) retired
    Goblinking : Hunter (Kay) retired
    Moongoose: Shadowblade (Kay) retired

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

No mounts. They break immersion (a horse appears from nowhere and then disappears). Casting the mount every time you need to move is annoying as hell. 

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• PedrobPedrob Member UncommonPosts: 172

Yes to speed classes.  It's been a while since I've seen a class with perma speed.

Mounts only add more lag in big fights.

• Lore84Lore84 Member Posts: 69
    Yes to speed classes....no to mounts. I don't think they are necessary. Also, as has been said it csn break immersion.

Ex-DAOC, Excalibur

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 565
    Absolutely to speed classes. If the game is going to be as massive landwise as he has alluded to, then we're gonna need some skald speed lol. Pain trains need to run faster dammit lol.
  • StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

I say yes but got to have balance amongst them as well.

Also a small thing, but one thing I'd love is if there's a speed class/buff, please have an apporaite animatin for it so that it looks good/fits, and isn't either simply an "ice skating" look to it or just a simple sped-up normal-run animation that looks wonky. It'd be nice if they had unique animations that look fitting and what you'd expect.

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I would like mounts, or if not mounts someway for a player to get speed (hastners) No speed means the only players that would venture out away from the safety net of a keep would be the players with speed.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062

No mounts.

Primary speed for bard/mins type assist classes, secondary speed for certain types of casters. 

For the primary speed classes, give them another burst speed mechanism when they are uber high RR

This at least gives 8-mans a chance to get away from zergs if they get into trouble.

Also, please allow the speed to be cast via flute, drum, or small guitar.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

How about expanding your poll to actually include the no part.

Personally I do not like speed classes, mounts are fine and I also like when classes have access to short sprint useage.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by boxsnd

No mounts. They break immersion (a horse appears from nowhere and then disappears). Casting the mount every time you need to move is annoying as hell. 

Originally posted by Lore84
    Yes to speed classes....no to mounts. I don't think they are necessary. Also, as has been said it csn break immersion.

I would find a lack of mounts far more "immersion" breaking, in the setting and everything, it makes little to no sense to not have mounts, especially in this day and age when almost any mmo has them.

What would set it apart would be if you could have actually GOOD decent mounted combat, a la Mount and Blade style.

As far as "horse summoning" actually get rid of it imo. Go the UO route, horses are permanent, can be stored at stables. You can purchase horses from a stable in cities (or guild cities if those are in the game) or find one and break it from the wild might also be a neat thing to do.

Horses can be wounded and killed in combat, can be outfitted with armor to help protect them, and if your horse dies that's that, you have to buy another one.

To me this is 10x better then no horses, but I'd still prefer the "poof" magical horses to simply not having any period. There are ways around balancing this, such as not obeing in combat and vice versa.

Also how far immersion breaking are magical poof horses when there exists magic that you can cast and use?

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Stiler
    Originally posted by boxsnd

Originally posted by Lore84

I would find a lack of mounts far more "immersion" breaking, in the setting and everything, it makes little to no sense to not have mounts, especially in this day and age when almost any mmo has them.

What would set it apart would be if you could have actually GOOD decent mounted combat, a la Mount and Blade style.

As far as "horse summoning" actually get rid of it imo. Go the UO route, horses are permanent, can be stored at stables. You can purchase horses from a stable in cities (or guild cities if those are in the game) or find one and break it from the wild might also be a neat thing to do.

Horses can be wounded and killed in combat, can be outfitted with armor to help protect them, and if your horse dies that's that, you have to buy another one.

To me this is 10x better then no horses, but I'd still prefer the "poof" magical horses to simply not having any period. There are ways around balancing this, such as not obeing in combat and vice versa.

Also how far immersion breaking are magical poof horses when there exists magic that you can cast and use?

^^ This.  Love this idea!

• gregoryvggregoryvg Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by meddyck

Of course there is the problem that every group will want/need to have this class in it. My thought is give the primary healing class in each realm the best group speed chant. That way it won't require an additional group slot to cover both of these necessary functions.

Yes to both speed classes and horses, but no to the idea of giving speed to the primary healer class.  Try to spread the abilities out among the classes to encourage grouping.  Other than that I also liked the idea of a primary speed class and a secondary speed class; much like there are primary and secondary healers.  Horses should be no faster than secondary speed.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by tlear

Yes because the whole "poof" aspect of fireballs or stealthers is different.

• ScillyScilly Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Pedrob

Yes to speed classes.  It's been a while since I've seen a class with perma speed.

Mounts only add more lag in big fights.

^this

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563
    hell yeah i want speed class. screw the mount and give me a minst anyday
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by tlear

Same here, really don't care about mounts.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot